Caught Drink Driving In Thailand And Put In Prison

Todd1985

Seems very harsh. Todd, is this your first offense?

I wouldn't worry about getting blacklisted. Usually, it's community service and small fine. I think "they" are just trying to scare you.

Was it a car or a motorbike or what? I was arrested once drunk riding a bicycle which I thought ridiculous.

<deleted>biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Please do tell us.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems very harsh. Todd, is this your first offense?

I wouldn't worry about getting blacklisted. Usually, it's community service and small fine. I think "they" are just trying to scare you.

Was it a car or a motorbike or what? I was arrested once drunk riding a bicycle which I thought ridiculous.

<deleted>biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Please do tell us.

DUI on a push bike? You trying to kill me here!

So what got you nicked being gullible, naive, un-connected, or un-educated. Or did you forget your reflective bib and to engage dynamo for correct lighting to ensure safe riding!

I am truly crying with laughter here than you so much Neeranam

Accepted it all depends on how poor, gullible and uneducated you are, right?

Nope. Not in my experience.

My bad mate I meant to credit that comment to Neeranam.

I hope everything turns out ok sorry to hear of your misfortune

Mate dont show weakness with compassion you will be hand wrung to death!

>The love to hate brigade,out in force.

What a sad bunch.

Some people just aint happy unless they are moaning about something or someone. But how boring would TV be without them thats the question.

Its just something I hate having a relative killed by a drunken driver does kinda bring the point home.

I could not care less what kind of drugs people do as long as they don't drive under the influence of them. I am all for freedom, but not when it means I am at a higher risk. So i for one am quite happy that they sometimes take a DUI serious. Would be better if it was always.. but baby steps baby steps.

• Like 1

I hope everything turns out ok sorry to hear of your misfortune

Mate dont show weakness with compassion you will be hand wrung to death!

>The love to hate brigade,out in force.

What a sad

bunch.

Some people just aint happy unless they are moaning about something or someone. But how boring would TV be without them thats the question.

Its just something I hate having a relative killed by a drunken driver does kinda bring the point home.

I could not care less what kind of drugs people do as long as they don't drive under the influence of them. I am all for freedom, but not when it means I am at a higher risk. So i for one am quite happy that they sometimes take a DUI serious. Would be better if it was always.. but baby steps baby steps.

Whenever people drink or take drugs other people, such as yourself, are always at greater risk of something - robbery, rape, violence. They don't need to drive to suddenly become dangerous.

Normally they hand out fines and suspended jail sentences.

The idea being that you better stop drink and drive, as when they catch you again (usually within 2 years) it will be straight to jail, no appeal possible, not even bail waiting for the court case!

Jail time first time round is rather harsh and first time I hear of.

I have never had to suffer that pain and I wouldn't want to. Problem that causes in my case is no emotion of hard memories just a problem to solve.

Mind you I think I would say a drunk Farrang driving is still safer than a sober Thai.

• Like 1

I have never had to suffer that pain and I wouldn't want to. Problem that causes in my case is no emotion of hard memories just a problem to solve.

Mind you I think I would say a drunk Farrang driving is still safer than a sober Thai.

And I say you get the award for the most idiotic post of the week.

• Like 1

Driving while impaired! Hmmm

It's like this:

To me it is something you choose to do, and if you do it, then all bets are off. You willingly lose your rights to complain about anything that comes after that. You lose any rights to complain about any other people who drive impaired. Suck it up like a man and make amends and get on with life.

Put simply, you got caught. I am sure you are a nice person and fun to burn down a pint with, but I hope you choose more wisely next time and pay for a ride; even if it means renting a Mercedes taxi with all the bells and whistles. You'll still come out ahead of what you spent on this outing.

All the best, mate.

P.S. I don't mind using corruption to get out of something you are innocent of... but in this case, you do not have my sympathy and instead a bit of disgust for using your friends like this. I think you really lost a lot of credit in their eyes, and I am embarrassed for you. I hope you have a better life after this and that they forgive you, and you DO pay them back every satang.

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge (and plz correct me if i am wrong), here are the facts if you are caught in a DUI situation -

1. You must score at least a 50% or above to qualify for any further police action

2. In case you are proved drunk - there is an instant THB 5000 fine , vehicle+license confiscated and next day you are supposed to appear in court the following day

3. The court rules your punishment

Amongst all fine - DUI is very strictly dealt with by the police. Although, i have known about a case here n there where ppl have got off by paying off heavy cash.

At the end of the day - we are all bashing thai pickup drivers / van drivers for recklessly driving at 140 and smashing into ppl , trees, soi dogs, bridges alike. So in retrospect, 32 days jailtime for someone from our own clan, caught doing 200 + DUI is perhaps well warranted!

Simple. Don't drink and drive. People that do deserve all they get, so don't come on here expecting sympathy. Drink drivers kill people and ruin lives. It's a disgrace that you are complaining about this. You got what you deserved.

• Like 1

Did anyone read where the guy said he quickly threw back a beer and then had to blow in the bag?

How does that make him drunk? If we believe what he wrote then he only had one beer and the Police didn't follow standard breathalyser procedures and retest him after 20 minutes, when as he says the alcohol would have left his mouth and he would have blown well under.

Don't you people believe everything you read on the internet?

+1

Considering all the bashing so far - I feel contrary right now so I'll make an unpopular viewpoint.

The whole purpose of the law is to punish people who harm others, right?

Looked at in this light, isn't the whole DUI bit based on a bit of pre-crime?

ie. You *might* hurt someone, therefore you are guilty and must be punished.

Did he injure anyone?

I fear drunk drivers as much as anyone - but I think the above should be recognised even by the "hang-em-high" mob.

(watch the movie if you never have)

WOW...that's harsh! I understand if you had an accident.

In Korat, if you were a drunk farang riding motorcycle, and got busted at a road block, you would have to sit down for 30-60 minutes on the side of the road, and then they let you go. Thai motorcycles DUI drivers had to do the same thing, and pay a fine. I'm not sure about the people who were really shit-faced had to do.

The guy I get my bikes from advised me to not drink and drive/ride in Pattaya as they are banging people up for 3 nights down Soi 9 then hitting them with a 90k backhander.......

• Like 1

People who drive around drunk are potential killers, they take into account causing a deadly accident, because their reactions are slower and they are not anymore in full control of their vehicle.

I highly support any law that puts such people in jail for some time - accident or no accident - so that they might get a learning experience not to do it another time.

I really dislike when people with money and "connections" can be bailed out and thus will do it over and over again, because they start to feel untouchable.

Not getting much sympathy here are you!! That last beer or two turned out to be pretty expensive, I hope that they tasted like pure nectarcheesy.gifcheesy.gif.

Considering all the bashing so far - I feel contrary right now so I'll make an unpopular viewpoint.The whole purpose of the law is to punish people who harm others, right?Looked at in this light, isn't the whole DUI bit based on a bit of pre-crime?ie. You *might* hurt someone, therefore you are guilty and must be punished.Did he injure anyone?

A new contender for most idiotic post of the day.

• Like 2

Considering all the bashing so far - I feel contrary right now so I'll make an unpopular viewpoint.The whole purpose of the law is to punish people who harm others, right?Looked at in this light, isn't the whole DUI bit based on a bit of pre-crime?ie. You *might* hurt someone, therefore you are guilty and must be punished.Did he injure anyone?I fear drunk drivers as much as anyone - but I think the above should be recognised even by the "hang-em-high" mob.(watch the movie if you never have)

Actually agree.

No harm done (yet), so the objective should be by stopping you to do it again.

Normally done by suspended jail terms, meaning no 2nd chance!

Different story indeed in case of accident.

The guy I get my bikes from advised me to not drink and drive/ride in Pattaya as they are banging people up for 3 nights down Soi 9 then hitting them with a 90k backhander.......

And that's the most convincing reason you have for not drinking and driving? Wow...you just get scarier and scarier.

• Like 1

Considering all the bashing so far - I feel contrary right now so I'll make an unpopular viewpoint.The whole purpose of the law is to punish people who harm others, right?Looked at in this light, isn't the whole DUI bit based on a bit of pre-crime?ie. You *might* hurt someone, therefore you are guilty and must be punished.Did he injure anyone?

Oh Bravo! I am slain by your wit sir!

Crawl back under your bridge until you actually have your own reasoned opinion instead of rubbish.

Sounds like a troll to me. Story is full of holes at best

Yes 2 holes in the story I saw:

1. 20mins wait time will increase your blood alcohol level not reduce it, it takes that long for the alcohol to hit your blood. (I will assume you had many drinks but you meant that the last drink was immediately prior to driving).

2. You imply the roadside hand held breathalyser was what your charge was based on? I cant fathom that even in Thailand they would NOT use a proper machine at the police station get an official reading from. Those road side hand held things the Thai police use are a joke, they are the same as what eBay vendors sell, the readings are as accurate as telling them time by looking a the moon.

I made the mistake of buying one once and it told me I was 0.13 an hour after 1 beer. I ignored it and 3mins later stopped for a real (Australian) breath test (roadside hand held unit but not the Thai type) and he said id come us as 0.01. Of Course even if I was over they'd still have needed the proper machine at the station to get an official reading from.

What you some kind of Indian giver? You have only just given me the honor now you are thinking of taking it away from me? Let me have it for a couple of days at least.....

post-18180-0-10472300-1363948984.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, all that over a DUI, you should have offered the judge 100.000 baht. After all you shelled out 80.000 for 2 bail bonds. Maybe don't drink and drive even? But better yet who are you kidding?

Troll

May be you should have been polite to the first policeman and shown some money and contrition on the spot. .200 is more than a skulled beer, my friend. I think you are too deep in this one to fix it with cash now. Get a good lawyer....

Edited by eddie61