Caught Drink Driving In Thailand And Put In Prison

Todd1985

A new contender for most idiotic post of the day.
Oh Bravo! I am slain by your wit sir!

Crawl back under your bridge until you actually have your own reasoned opinion instead of rubbish.

Don't worry he has already given the award to me so wait your turn till next week...... ;-)

The guy I get my bikes from advised me to not drink and drive/ride in Pattaya as they are banging people up for 3 nights down Soi 9 then hitting them with a 90k backhander.......

And that's the most convincing reason you have for not drinking and driving? Wow...you just get scarier and scarier.

Actually the most convincing reason I have for not drinking and driving is that I don't drink!

So what am I now scary or an idiot or maybe a scary idiot? Make your mind up otherwise you will be adding confused to the ever growing list of compliments!

Wow so much affection I am almost underwhelmed by your attention.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering all the bashing so far - I feel contrary right now so I'll make an unpopular viewpoint.The whole purpose of the law is to punish people who harm others, right?Looked at in this light, isn't the whole DUI bit based on a bit of pre-crime?ie. You *might* hurt someone, therefore you are guilty and must be punished.Did he injure anyone?A new contender for most idiotic post of the day.Oh Bravo! I am slain by your wit sir!Crawl back under your bridge until you actually have your own reasoned opinion instead of rubbish.

You're too thick to understand the term "reckless endangerment"...yet I'm the one full of rubbish?

Please tell me "airconsult" doesn't have anything to do with consulting on airline safety....

Careful "NewlyMintedThai" that's very close to libel. All I have done is state a reason for debate on the topic in question.

If you don't understand the meaning of "reasoned debate" and just immediately descend to insults, why should I think you have more intelligence than the average cockroach?

• Like 1

Crawl back under your bridge until you actually have your own reasoned opinion instead of rubbish.

Don't worry he has already given the award to me so wait your turn till next week...... ;-)

The guy I get my bikes from advised me to not drink and drive/ride in Pattaya as they are banging people up for 3 nights down Soi 9 then hitting them with a 90k backhander.......

And that's the most convincing reason you have for not drinking and driving? Wow...you just get scarier and scarier.

Actually the most convincing reason I have for not drinking and driving is that I don't drink!

So what am I now scary or an idiot or maybe a scary idiot? Make your mind up otherwise you will be adding confused to the ever growing list of compliments!

Then your buddy's the idiot.

"Don't drink and drive because the cops are out?" Not "don't drink and drive because you might kill yourself or someone else?"

A real genius buddy you got there.

Considering all the bashing so far - I feel contrary right now so I'll make an unpopular viewpoint.The whole purpose of the law is to punish people who harm others, right?Looked at in this light, isn't the whole DUI bit based on a bit of pre-crime?ie. You *might* hurt someone, therefore you are guilty and must be punished.Did he injure anyone?A new contender for most idiotic post of the day.Oh Bravo! I am slain by your wit sir!Crawl back under your bridge until you actually have your own reasoned opinion instead of rubbish.You're too thick to understand the term "reckless endangerment"...yet I'm the one full of rubbish?Please tell me "airconsult" doesn't have anything to do with consulting on airline safety....Careful "NewlyMintedThai" that's very close to libel. All I have done is state a reason for debate on the topic in question.If you don't understand the meaning of "reasoned debate" and just immediately descend to insults, why should I think you have more intelligence than the average cockroach?

Libel? Bring it on, cowboy.

"Don't drink and drive because the cops are out?" Not "don't drink and drive because you might kill yourself or someone else?"

While I agree with the medical results on slowed reaction time, etc, and generally I agree with the law.

I do have an honest question, please, I'm very curious because I remember the time in the western world when drink-driving first became a demonized offense in the public mind. So, it's an honest question based on studies of media influence and government advertising.

How old are you?

Yeah yeah. I read all the hang 'em high comments above. I see very few Thais with eyeglasses, which may explain a thing or two. If they had a test for drivers for this which was just as efficient as the alcohol test, I suspect that 30% of drivers would be taken out of circulation. There are other factors about driving badly apart from being over the limit or half blind, they are not easily testable, being stupid, aggressive, obstinate among them. We see these guys every day.

I first got the hang of driving in Thailand when I drove home drunk one day, big 'Ah ha' day. I tried it again, concentrating on what I was doing different, I don't need to get drunk any more, thank goodness, I was cursing and swearing all the time before.

80,000 ฿ would probably have covered a tuk tuk home every night for the rest of your life!

I think it's bit harsh to stop you from leaving if you have to work, but to be honest it's about time they started locking people up for drink driving, Thais and foreigners alike. No one seems to be fussed about paying 6000฿ for a DUI fine, well how about a week or two in a cell with a group of randy HIV+ ladyboys?

I'm tired of listening to people in the pub listening to people talking about how much they got stung for and the best route home and the rest of the time slagging off the way Thais drive, well what a great example we set. The same people will happily spend 1500 ฿ on beer, but they suddenly get stingy when it comes to getting a 100 ฿ taxi home?! I'd rather drink my fill and let someone else do the driving.

• Like 2

80,000 ฿ would probably have covered a tuk tuk home every night for the rest of your life! I think it's bit harsh to stop you from leaving if you have to work, but to be honest it's about time they started locking people up for drink driving, Thais and foreigners alike. No one seems to be fussed about paying 6000฿ for a DUI fine, well how about a week or two in a cell with a group of randy HIV+ ladyboys? I'm tired of listening to people in the pub listening to people talking about how much they got stung for and the best route home and the rest of the time slagging off the way Thais drive, well what a great example we set. The same people will happily spend 1500 ฿ on beer, but they suddenly get stingy when it comes to getting a 100 ฿ taxi home?! I'd rather drink my fill and let someone else do the driving.

I can't drive but my wife can so I never have this problem!!!rolleyes.gif.

I said it was the guy I get my bikes from not a mate.

By the sounds of things I reckon you would make a good buddy for me.......

Why i He_l do you want to come back, i wonder. If this had happen to me, i would have been gone forever! blink.png

They had his passport which I know is easily replaced but then he is leaving himself open to an Interpol mug shot as well as never being allowed to come to Thailand.

Given its such a small problem I think he is right coming back and accepting the courts decision.

• Like 1

Todd, you blew .200 after sculling a beer.You would have been 0.198 before the beer, 20 minutes or no 20 minutes...thats just legal BS.You were blind drunk either way.

Stop whining...you screwed up...all by yourself.

Now you will bear the consequences.

I am willing to wager that this is not the first time you have been this p!ssed and driven.Unfortunately you got caught.

You win some and you lose some.

And if you lose your job....well thats just another consequence.

Look on the bright side you were caught before something really bad happened.

• Like 1

I got done last year in BKK . I knew I was pissed when they breathalysed me . It was on a Friday night and I was told to that I had to go to such and such police station where I would be detained until Monday morning when I would then go to court and pay an 8000 baht fine . But Thailand being Thailand we managed to negotiate an on the spot settlement of 4000 and THEY LET ME DRIVE HOME AND GAVE ME MY LICENSE BACK

It's all about the money for the BIB .

Edited by metisdead
: Font
  • Like 1

Guys, posts have been removed. Keep it civilized.

The OP has made a grave offense, and has been punished according to the Thai law.

Which btw allows for up to 60 days of jail and/or 60,000 Baht fine.

He now seems to be in a rather strange situation, waiting for another court appearance. He's apparently worried about what might happen and asked advice.

Nowhere does it seems like anything untoward has been done by him influencing justice, it looks like bail has been paid twice (once at the arrest and the second time looks like bail pending appeal), for which you actually do not need "influential" friends, but rather a halfway competent lawyer.

We don't have to do sentencing over here!

We rather hope that threads like these can be a wake up call to other drivers who hopefully realize DUI is a grave offense and can seriously mess up your life here in Thailand.

• Like 2

Considering all the bashing so far - I feel contrary right now so I'll make an unpopular viewpoint.

The whole purpose of the law is to punish people who harm others, right?

Looked at in this light, isn't the whole DUI bit based on a bit of pre-crime?

ie. You *might* hurt someone, therefore you are guilty and must be punished.

Did he injure anyone?

I fear drunk drivers as much as anyone - but I think the above should be recognised even by the "hang-em-high" mob.

(watch the movie if you never have)

I have spent some time in Brazil. They have drink driving laws there too. If you get stopped and tested and fail then you are fined and lose 7 demerit points(translate demerit points into your own understanding) The license allows 28 demerit points so you don't lose your license for drink driving. However drink dirve AND have an accident and you are in very deep sh!t indeed.

On a side note, I read that Lindsay Lohan has dropped Thailand from her vacation plans.

I don't find making jokes at the expense of sick people the slightest bit funny.

What happened to your sense of humour?

It is funny, not nasty.

Johnny Carson probably would have used this one...thumbsup.gif

People who drive around drunk are potential killers, they take into account causing a deadly accident, because their reactions are slower and they are not anymore in full control of their vehicle.

I highly support any law that puts such people in jail for some time - accident or no accident - so that they might get a learning experience not to do it another time.

I really dislike when people with money and "connections" can be bailed out and thus will do it over and over again, because they start to feel untouchable.

I have NEVER in my thirty plus years in the kingdom seen a Thai national go to jail for drunk driving! NEVER! I have seen them pay "tea" money!

He now seems to be in a rather strange situation, waiting for another court appearance. He's apparently worried about what might happen and asked advice.

That's exactly the way I read it. He got nicked and made bail. Managed to get a permission to travel based on him returning on the 15th March which he has done and has now been given another extension with a return date. He doesn't seem to be running or denying just looking for answers which IMO his lawyer should be giving not us.

• Like 1

I got done last year in BKK . I knew I was pissed when they breathalysed me . It was on a Friday night and I was told to that I had to go to such and such police station where I would be detained until Monday morning when I would then go to court and pay an 8000 baht fine . But Thailand being Thailand we managed to negotiate an on the spot settlement of 4000 and THEY LET ME DRIVE HOME AND GAVE ME MY LICENSE BACK

Lucky you!!!

Glad I dont drink .......

I do, and like it. Two beers, a glass of wine after 6 p.m., and then I do not go out....

I even saw a guy on a motorbike so drunk, stopped to say hello, and forgot to put a foot down. Fell down and bloodied his face. True.

Just one more danger living in Thailand....

I'm very sad to see this kind of threads or article about drinking and driving among farangs in Thailand. Many seems to think that the rules don't apply too them. Would you drink and drive in your home country? If the story that OP posted I think he/she was lucky, it could got much much worse.

And also the traffic is chaotic enough when driving silver, and taking a taxi is dirt cheep here.

Considering all the bashing so far - I feel contrary right now so I'll make an unpopular viewpoint.

The whole purpose of the law is to punish people who harm others, right?

Looked at in this light, isn't the whole DUI bit based on a bit of pre-crime?

ie. You *might* hurt someone, therefore you are guilty and must be punished.

Did he injure anyone?

I fear drunk drivers as much as anyone - but I think the above should be recognised even by the "hang-em-high" mob.

(watch the movie if you never have)

I have spent some time in Brazil. They have drink driving laws there too. If you get stopped and tested and fail then you are fined and lose 7 demerit points(translate demerit points into your own understanding) The license allows 28 demerit points so you don't lose your license for drink driving. However drink dirve AND have an accident and you are in very deep sh!t indeed.
Thanks - as I said before - I agree with the medical evidence, and at my age, having quite a lot of experience in the effects of alcohol - haha - I wouldn't attempt to drive.

But... The penalties in western countries - which most of the posters seem to believe are correct - seem.....unfair in the case where no actual harm has been caused. Brazil seems to understand that - actual harm should be punished - possible harm? That's the realm of social re-education.

That's the purpose of a debate, many thanks Mudcrab for understanding my post.

so wait until you caused an accident and then jail you?

come on dude you totally deserved it.

i hope you do learn from this. what if you really got into an accident and killed someone?

and so happens to be the breadwinner for his family.

please be more responsible man

People who drive around drunk are potential killers, they take into account causing a deadly accident, because their reactions are slower and they are not anymore in full control of their vehicle.

I highly support any law that puts such people in jail for some time - accident or no accident - so that they might get a learning experience not to do it another time.

I really dislike when people with money and "connections" can be bailed out and thus will do it over and over again, because they start to feel untouchable.

Yes, let's put them in prison, so they can benefit from this learning experience. (With or without accident). But not to forget to include the Thais.

If this would ever be implemented, 30 % of the Thai male population would constantly be imprisoned.

Oh and yes, = "I really dislike when people with money and "connections" can be bailed

out and thus will do it over and over again, because they start to feel

untouchable."

For god's sake Swiss 1960: This is called "corruption" and is part of daily life in Thailand!!!

I am starting to wonder: Have you ever lived for any lenght of time in Thailand? I doubt it very much. I must assume, your comments about Thailand originate from some cozy office somewhere in Switzerland.

Cheers.

• Like 2

I applaud you for admitting your crime.

Slightly off topic maybe but which is worse - drinking and driving or taking heroin?

It amazes me that so many people think for some reason taking heroin is a worse crime.

Drinking and driving in a built up area is worse than rape.

A mate got caught in Udon Thani two weeks ago, 5000 baht side of the road fine.

Its good they are clamping down it's dangerous enough on the roads without drunk drivers thinking they are fine. His tuk tuk would have been 120 baht, why risk it?.

Edited by Scully