How Do I Ask For A Good Haircut?

topshot

I'm used to having a 2 on the sides and a 4 up top. But in Chiang Mai, I don't speak Thai and don't know how to "order". I just got a haircut and it doesn't look anything like I wanted it to. I'm not too worried about haircuts since it'll just grow right back. But normally when I get a good haircut, I won't have to cut my hair for a month. But this time I know I'm gonna need to cut my hair in 2 weeks.

I live right by the Central Airport Plaza, but didn't go to the ones in the mall. I only paid 80 baht, which isn't bad at all.

I have done something that might be unusual. I tell the people, cut my hair how the way you think looks good for me, and then if I like it, I keep going to them. It generally will take trying a number of people to get the right match. I did the same thing in the U.S. with the same results, finding people I am loyal to.

• Like 1

It is relatively safe to flush your own ears with a rubber bulb ear syringe. The pharmacy might also have an ear wax softener, containing glycerin partly, which can be used for a couple of days to help soften for flushing.

I have to have mine cleaned about once a year. My ENT tells me that I have a condition that is in Latin. He calls it "non self-cleaning ears, LOL." I think that must be Latin since it's the name the doctor used and he should know. smile.png

As the old saying goes, never put a solid object in your ear that's smaller than a fence post. :)

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

kind of related question.

At the barber shops sometimes I see the people getting their ear wax cleaned out.

Is this a good idea? do people get that done?

I imagine there are risks if the person does it wrong.

From an objective health point of view, it is a VERY BAD idea. If you have impacted wax, see a doctor.

From the subjective side: True! I have a big earwax problem and had an earclean in bangkok once. They where very clean!

6 months later though i was picking my wax(I dont know how else i can put it) and low and behold: An entire cotton bud came out of my ear! And i could hear much better all of a suddon.

Damaging the ear drums is one of the grave dangers when doing it yourself.

And about the hair: Just let them surprise you everytime. Works for methumbsup.gif

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 2

It is relatively safe to flush your own ears with a rubber bulb ear syringe. The pharmacy might also have an ear wax softener, containing glycerin partly, which can be used for a couple of days to help soften for flushing.

I have to have mine cleaned about once a year. My ENT tells me that I have a condition that is in Latin. He calls it "non self-cleaning ears, LOL." I think that must be Latin since it's the name the doctor used and he should know. smile.png

As the old saying goes, never put a solid object in your ear that's smaller than a fence post. smile.png

Ah we have the same condition! goof.gif You know once i pulled out a big chunk and didn't notice my (ex) gf was watching me from behind.

She threw up! And also the relationbah.gif

At the barber shops sometimes I see the people getting their ear wax cleaned out.

From an objective health point of view, it is a VERY BAD idea. If you have impacted wax, see a doctor.

From the subjective side: True! I have a big earwax problem and had an earclean in bangkok once. They where very clean!

6 months later though i was picking my wax(I dont know how else i can put it) and low and behold: An entire cotton bud came out of my ear! And i could hear much better all of a suddon.

Damaging the ear drums is one of the grave dangers when doing it yourself.

And about the hair: Just let them surprise you everytime. Works for methumbsup.gif

Dancealot, I don't know why but your comment reminded me of this classic Friends clip.

Chandler to Joey "...you have to stop the Q Tip when there's resistance".

Try having them candled.

Not sure if it is a scam or really works.

Just ask for:

"San San Krap" which means "Short, short please"

Or

[point to sides and back] "Ow ber song tee nee leh [point to top of head] ber see tee nee krap" which means "I want number 2 here and number 4 here".

80 baht for a haircut? Cheap Charlie! If you want it styled to your wishes, go to a better shop (unless you're lucky and find a good cheap one; they exist!).

I've paid 50 baht for years, but then I don't have much hair, and there's not much that can go wrong.

When they ask what you want; look up on the wall of picture frames and point to the young boy with the trendy korean style, more akin to what i had 25yr ago; and say ok; can you do?

keep a serious face for a few seconds and wait for him to react..........he looks at your short, thinning, balding hair before he says "sorry mai dai" in an equally serious face.

Then burst out laughing..."pom put len" (I am taking the piss mate) and point to the clippers hanging up instead...(hoping he doesnt get his own back)

still cant believe he would actually do the trendy korean cut for 60bt though.

The thing about doing it yourself is convenience.

Have a half hour to kill? Give yourself a haircut.

No need to travel and can do it just as well and more often which results in looking better.

lets say one got their hair cut every week.

50 times 80 = 4000 baht plus tips and transportation

Excellent pair of clippers 500 baht.

That's a few trips to the bar girl rodeo or a decent amount of beer.

Obviously you would want to be sober or halfway coordinated to cut your own hair which would rule out a lot of TV posters

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

80 baht for a haircut? Cheap Charlie! If you want it styled to your wishes, go to a better shop (unless you're lucky and find a good cheap one; they exist!).

I've paid 50 baht for years, but then I don't have much hair, and there's not much that can go wrong.

50! You've been ripped off. I've never paid more than 30. tongue.png

I pay 60 baht and a 20 baht tip in an air con shop (Chiang Mai Barber on Kum Pang Din Road near Loi Kroh Road), but have heard through the grapevine that they are trying to put the price up to 80. I can't really blame her as most other shops in that area are charging about 120.

I have done something that might be unusual. I tell the people, cut my hair how the way you think looks good for me, and then if I like it, I keep going to them. It generally will take trying a number of people to get the right match. I did the same thing in the U.S. with the same results, finding people I am loyal to.

I bet here they all tell you you're a hansum man after they've finished wink.png ...................USA?

I pay 60 baht and a 20 baht tip in an air con shop (Chiang Mai Barber on Kum Pang Din Road near Loi Kroh Road), but have heard through the grapevine that they are trying to put the price up to 80. I can't really blame her as most other shops in that area are charging about 120.

Isn't that roughly a 33% tip ? Do you pay that in a restuarant? Service station? Of course, a lot of people have a lot of money to dispose of before they turn room temperature.