Elderly Man With Five Year Overstay

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't take this the wrong way it's just a question.

What would an embassy do if someone was simply left on their premises with no ID, no money, nothing, except a passport of that country?

er, am i missing something here but if you have a passport then surely you've got ID?

missed that part. Silly question.

Suspect nobody is interested in legalities (as with hospital not reporting) due to his age and condition so perhaps better to keep on back burner as he does not appear to have much of an option with return to home country even if able (although not sure if he would then have free treatment/housing perhaps)?

Certainly would be entitled to treatment, accommodation and shelter in UK.

As a non-resident he won't be entitled to treatment in the UK.

He'll be facing a grim time if he returns to the UK.

Can't be a UK national as there's a consulate in CM

This
can be a good warning to us all to make sure you have enough back up savings to
cover all eventualities and also some sort of medical insurance to cover any unexpected
health problems that might come about, rather than just spend your twilight
years pissing it up in some cheap bar.

Suspect nobody is interested in legalities (as with hospital not reporting) due to his age and condition so perhaps better to keep on back burner as he does not appear to have much of an option with return to home country even if able (although not sure if he would then have free treatment/housing perhaps)?

What makes you think this? In my opinion he wouldn't.

"Certainly would be entitled to treatment, accommodation and shelter in UK." So very lucky not a US citizen! Send him to one of Mother Teresa's dumps to die. Sounds like he earned some time in one of her detention centers.

Nobody really cares about the legal status of an alien as long as he or she keeps low profile and abides most laws. It depends greatly from which European country he is. The Northern European embassies would surely borrow him the money for a ticket and the hospital care. Hopefully the chap in in a government hospital and not a private hospital. It underscores in any case why the Thai government is spot on to demand healthcare coverage for any foreigner, although this would have made no difference in his case.

Just put a lot of muscle on his embassy. Let the fax paper run out on their machines and flood their email boxes, the more annoying you are the more willing they are to wake up from a sate of hibernation.

What would an embassy do if someone was simply left on their premises with no ID, no money, nothing, except a passport of that country?

Most Embassies, although they will try their hardest not to, would have no option other than repatriate him (if they are unable to get money from friends and family). When he arrives in his home country his passport would be impounded until the money was repaid - as for the overstay fine Embassies are not allowed to interfere in local law so that part would be left to the local immigration police as to whether they wished to press charges.

This sounds pretty much like I thought it would be, once on 'home' soil with nothing they have to do something, they can't throw you out into the street, it would make front page news in the person's home country at the speed of light..

The guy is not from the UK but others here have said if he was sent back he would get nothing and I say rubbish!

Organisations like Age UK, Shelter etc would have a field day. The guy would get treatment, no question. He would get shelter, no question and you can't be without money to buy food in the UK, so he would get that. Once he's been back a while and settled he will get all the benefits he's entitled to whether anyone on here from the UK, thinks so or not. He would be classed as extremely vulnerable and get looked after accordingly. What do people think the UK gov would do deport him?laugh.png

think I'd rather do a stretch in the monkey house than have to endure a british care home!

Edited by BusyBee123

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun NancyL,

Whatever the context here, I feel compassion for this man, and he is very lucky to have someone like you trying to help him !

Wish I could help, but I have no "guanxi" (connections) here. If he's European, he must be from a very poor country, indeed, if they have no embassy in Bangkok.

take care, ~o:37;

What? Did someone say this guy is British? The popular conception that the UK has responsibility for the world's itinerant population is one we need to divest. It isn't true!

As a non-resident he won't be entitled to treatment in the UK.

He'll be facing a grim time if he returns to the UK.

Actually the UK treats anyone Free of Charge. I am here for a few more weeks and all medical treatment is free on the NHS no matter if you are a resident or not.

It is the responsibility of the host country. Don't expect your own embassy to hold your hand, you must make your own arrangements. Having things like health insurence, people who can help you in case you are sick etc is something you must consider if you want to live her, just like living in any other country.

Some people with Thai wifes/family will become demented and lose their ability to communicate with them in Thai and only start speaking in their own language. It are things you must prepare for, just as you must prepare a will for when you die.

I wasn't asking on my behalf lol.

If I were dumped in the British Embassy with no means, I'd be on British soil?

Can't see them carrying me out and dumping me onto Thai territory if I were vulnerable............hmmm cancel that. maybe I can.

Or sticking you in a boat with no engine and pushing you out to sea.

This makes me think back to when I was in my 20's and I was helping a friend lay some tiles in an old people's home in Australia. There was an old man laying in bed crying and calling for his son over and over again. It was terrible! The rest of the residents were just sat staring off into space.

At the time I was just glad to be out of there but now I am in my early 50's it does make me wonder from time to time what it would be like to be old and frail in Thailand...

• Like 1

This

can be a good warning to us all to make sure you have enough back up savings to

cover all eventualities and also some sort of medical insurance to cover any unexpected

health problems that might come about, rather than just spend -

- all.

To late. blink.png

If it was the US Embassy not much other than maybe contact family, strong on the maybe part.

It is the responsibility of the host country. Don't expect your own embassy to hold your hand, you must make your own arrangements. Having things like health insurence, people who can help you in case you are sick etc is something you must consider if you want to live her, just like living in any other country.

Some people with Thai wifes/family will become demented and lose their ability to communicate with them in Thai and only start speaking in their own language. It are things you must prepare for, just as you must prepare a will for when you die.

There is misunderstanding by many travellers, of the rôle of an Embassy. It is not the function of an Embassy to help it's nationals to evade the Laws of the host country. However, there are many examples of sympathetic Embassy staff going out of their way to help distressed, fellow nationals.

Edited by attento

I guess it would depend to a great extent on which nation's embassy, because being inside an embassy is the same as being on that nation's home territory. Being outside on the doorstep is a different matter.