Extension Based On Marriage -- Anything New?

That time of year. Off to CM immigration for the yearly application for extension of stay based on marriage. I put together the same paperwork package as I submitted last year.

Soooo, has their been any changes in the immigration laws regarding extension of stay based on marriage since March 2012 and now. I hate surprises. ermm.gif

Thanks!

Will the advent of the ASEAN Union enable Thai wifes to challenge the decision whereby they & their spouses have to jump through hoops per annum yet Thai males married to foreign wifes are given free reign? Many that are currently on retirement extentions will have to revert to ext based on marriage if the financial crisis gets any worse & IMO gender shouldn't come into it for anyone married to a Thai.

• Like 1

Did my first one last week (in Korat).

I got the impression reading and asking questions on TV beforehand, that the requirement to have the "Kor 2" documenting marriage was still active, in addition to the normal marriage certificate, was something new.

Not sure if this was required last year when you did it but FYI, and Korat immigration indeed made a point to tell us we needed to get this document.

We went to our local Amphur where we registered our marriage, they produced one for us in about 10 minutes, and it was accepted by Immigration along with the rest of the laundry list.

Rgds,

J

A Kor Ror 2 can be obtained at any Amphoe.

Phibun (Ubon) asked for one last year for the first time and my wife made a quick trip to the Amphoe there and got ours.

I think the Kor Ror 2 is now required by all immigration offices. I also would not take one to immigration that is more than 30 days old since they are so easy to get.

Edited by ubonjoe

Or maybe not so easy for some - believe older marriages are not entered into the on-line database so must obtain from original marriage District Office (although at least one person was able to do by phone/fax).

I think perhaps the majority would be entered if any activity on house book registration had been done in recent years.

But if not in system it would be a problem for the first time.

Edited by ubonjoe

Phibun (Ubon) asked for one last year for the first time and my wife made a quick trip to the Amphoe there and got ours.

I think the Kor Ror 2 is now required by all immigration offices. I also would not take one to immigration that is more than 30 days old since they are so easy to get.

In Chiangmai they don't , got one with me 2 years ago , ans she took it out immediately , last year NO , don't expect it to be different this year either ,

CM office has too much of everything on workload and got the impression everything just stays the same for things not getting any worse , unbelievable really they can get things done as they do.

Or maybe not so easy for some - believe older marriages are not entered into the on-line database so must obtain from original marriage District Office (although at least one person was able to do by phone/fax).

Yes this is true, ours is not online. Fortunately we got married in Samui and not somewhere further afield!. We have to get a photocopy that must then be signed by the District Officer. Didn't ask about the phone/fax since we have to do the extension on Samui anyway

I got the impression reading and asking questions on TV beforehand, that the requirement to have the "Kor 2" documenting marriage was still active, in addition to the normal marriage certificate, was something new.

Not sure if this was required last year when you did it but FYI, and Korat immigration indeed made a point to tell us we needed to get this document.

We went to our local Amphur where we registered our marriage, they produced one for us in about 10 minutes, and it was accepted by Immigration along with the rest of the laundry list.

Rgds,

J

Yepper-do! I have the Kor 2 in my package.

I got my first two extensions based on marriage in Korat. It's a breeze down there compared to Chiang Mai. If you forget something, you can usually drive back to Korat, pick it up, and head back to the Immigration office in the same day.

In Chiang Mai, you don't want to be missing paperwork. The immigration office here is a madhouse: under-staffed (although they are competent), over-crowded, and housed in a facility that can adequately accommodate maybe 1/3 of the current immigration customers -- andddd virtually no parking. Missing paperwork means a second visit and an all day wait to be serviced. I want all my ducks in a row prior to the yearly interview and paperwork shuffle. I detest going there.

Edited by connda

In Chiangmai they don't , got one with me 2 years ago , ans she took it out immediately , last year NO , don't expect it to be different this year either ,

CM office has too much of everything on workload and got the impression everything just stays the same for things not getting any worse , unbelievable really they can get things done as they do.

Humm. Interesting. I filed in Chiang Mai last year and they took my Kor 2. As usual, guess it depends on who you interview with and which way the wind is blowing on any given day.

Rgds,

J

I got my first two extensions based on marriage in Korat. It's a breeze down there compared to Chiang Mai. If you forget something, you can usually drive back to Korat, pick it up, and head back to the Immigration office in the same day.

In Chiang Mai, you don't want to be missing paperwork. The immigration office here is a madhouse: under-staffed (although they are competent), over-crowded, and housed in a facility that can adequately accommodate maybe 1/3 of the current immigration customers -- andddd virtually no parking. Missing paperwork means a second visit and an all day wait to be serviced. I want all my ducks in a row prior to the yearly interview and paperwork shuffle. I detest going there.

I hear/read that more often than not about Korat, guess I should feel fortunate that's my Imm office compared to some things I've read. Good luck on your extension. J

Rgds,

J

I hear/read that more often than not about Korat, guess I should feel fortunate that's my Imm office compared to some things I've read. Good luck on your extension. J

Thanks!

Been married 15y not registered at Ampher living here from 2002 , does that mean i am not married.

If married abroad you are married, but the Thai government doesn't have a record of it. If married to a Thai, immigration wants you to register the marriage abroad at the amphur.

That means:

1. certification of your marriage by the embassy

2. having this translated

3. having it certified by the Thai foreign ministry

4. having it registered at the amphur.

The amphur will give you a khor rhor 22 form, which immigraiton wants to see.