Extending Visit Visa (Or Newly Granted Before Expiry)

Hello All,

My sister-in-law came to the UK over Christmas 2012 for two weeks and then returned to Thailand. Her visit visa from then (six months) is still valid and does not expire until the 8th of June.

She would now like to visit again as my wife is due to give birth around the 13th of June.

How would this work? We're happy to pay fee's again and go through all the needed process, but is it possible that she can extend her current visa or have it invaildated and then a new one put in place.

She plans to stay for around 2-3 weeks again. It will be her third visit in total and she has never before left late or been on the wrong side of favor.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by tlusername

My understanding is that it is a one time visa not multi visa.

I think she has to apply again for another 6 month visa.

However I'm not sure how she will fare having returned to Thailand recently.

Best she uses an agent?

Hi :)

There is no way to extend a UK Visit Visa under the circumstances you describe.

My wife has been issued with three Family Visit Visas and they were all multi-entry. Meaning that she could travel in and out of the UK as many times as she wished during the validity of the visa.

Seeing as your sister-in-law wants to come to the UK after her visa has expired, she will need to apply for another one.

She already knows how to do that, so no need for an agent of any kind.

Hope this helps,

Biff

It is very rare for a visit visa to be single visit. They are usually multi-visit (printed on the vignette).

If someone has been for a two week visit, returns as expected there is no reason at all why a further visa should be a problem. The convention is that visits should generally be for no more than six months in any year (not part of the immigration rules though).

Your sister in law seems to have behaved as a good visitor should and has a good reason for the further visit.

You will need to prepare the application as thoroughly as the previous one and provide all the information required afresh. A good visit history will be helpful but won't open any special doors!

It is very rare for a visit visa to be single visit. They are usually multi-visit (printed on the vignette).

If someone has been for a two week visit, returns as expected there is no reason at all why a further visa should be a problem. The convention is that visits should generally be for no more than six months in any year (not part of the immigration rules though).

Your sister in law seems to have behaved as a good visitor should and has a good reason for the further visit.

You will need to prepare the application as thoroughly as the previous one and provide all the information required afresh. A good visit history will be helpful but won't open any special doors!

My mistake and you are correct Bob.

Bob's advice is spot on, in particular the point about having a previous visa doesn't open any doors.

Treat the fresh application with as much care as the first, in her coveing letter include details of the first visit and the fact that she wants to be there when her sister has the baby, reason to return is just as important as in her first application.

Congratulations on the forthcoming child.

I agree with the comments about the next visa application.

All three of my wife's applications have been pretty much identical in content.

The only difference was that, in the first one, we gave lots of evidence of contact, in order to establish the fact that our relationship was a genuine one.

And whilst the fact that she has had visas before didn't 'open any doors' a good immigration history certainly helps.