Indoor Satelite Dish

BuffaloRescue

No, there is not. You would need an clear sight of view to the satellite.

The frequencies transferred from the satellite are absorbed by any kind of physical obstacles.

It is possible to install a satellite antenna indoors, typically looking through a window.

Although you must ensure that there is adequate line of sight. plus no noise sources being introduced (such as fluorescent lighting) in the general direction the dish is looking.

The pane of glass, it's ambient temperature along with any UV coating or it's reflective elements will introduce a deterioration of signal but if you use a standard 60cm TRUE type antenna you should be able to get a signal sufficient for viewing most of the time.

You will be particularly hit worse than most in the event of rain etc..

Edit... Note: The signal actually comes in at an elevation that is around 25 degrees (maybe a TV installer can confirm) higher than the dish actually appears to be looking, which in Thailand can be anything between 53.7 and 64.9 degrees depending on whether you are up North or down South.

Edited by Satcommlee

Satcomlee: How does the fluorescent light affect to the signal?

Fluorescent lights have a specific noise temperature, I think around 12'000K

This is extremely high and has the potential to saturate the LNB device on the end of the Antenna so that the wanted signal (UBC) is overwhelmed.

It is the electromagnetic spectrum and the Ku band signal is very close to the wavelength of light itself.

What frequencies the satellites use?

All number of frequencies..

But your typical small Ku TV type antenna (60cm TRUE) will receive between 11.7 GHz and 12.75 GHz downlink (regional variations)

The larger C band antenna's (big Black and mesh) can go from 3.4 GHz to 4.2 GHz downlink

In a few years we should start to see the emergence of Ka Band satellite TV which is a much higher freq of 18 - 22 GHz

The Satellites use 11.7GHz bands which equals to 25 mm of the wavelength. That's far away from the visible light.

Fluorescent light make the mercury to emit photons with wavelengths of 253 and 185 nano meters. These are then changed to the visible light is which also at nanometer scale. These are very far from the millimeter bands used with satellites.

What causes the florescent lights to have an effect to the satellite reception?

You mention specifically "visible Light" which is only a tiny portion of light, there is so much light you don't actually see like Infra red and Ultra-Violet.

I'm afraid a full explanation goes well beyond the scope of Thai Visa.

EMSpec.gif

Satellites operate in the Microwave band, which on the grander scale is actually right next door and overlapping Infra-red as you can see above.

Everything in comms revolves around noise, and a fluorescent light at 12000K is a strong emission source emitting more than just the visible light you associate them with and is detrimental to Radar/Microwave communications.

To observe this plug an LNB into your satellite receiver and point it at a fluorescent lamp and watch the signal (but not quality) meter go through the roof, it's actually also a useful way to test LNB's.

I think I mentioned that the florescent light are emitting photons on 283 and 185 nanometer frequencies. These are ultraviolet light and not within visible light.

As far as I know this far there frequencies used are from 185 to 760 (end of visible light) nanometers. This spectrum is nowhere near to the frequencies used by the satellite reception.

How can the florescent lights effect to the satellite reception?

And what it's worth. I do like you replies and comments. I might be very wrong, but still wish to get to the bottom of the issue.

I think I mentioned that the florescent light are emitting photons on 283 and 185 nanometer frequencies. These are ultraviolet light and not within visible light.

As far as I know this far there frequencies used are from 185 to 760 (end of visible light) nanometers. This spectrum is nowhere near to the frequencies used by the satellite reception.

How can the florescent lights effect to the satellite reception?

And what it's worth. I do like you replies and comments. I might be very wrong, but still wish to get to the bottom of the issue.

I know why you are thinking in terms of Wavelength, but this is not like two radio stations being too close too each other.

I am talking about Thermal Noise, which is broadband noise across a wide frequency range caused by the excitation of electrons within the tube.

An LNB is sensitive enough to pick up this thermal noise then amplifies it 100'000 times to kill the satellite reception.

You could use a satellite dish for cars and keep it in the balcony...

I saw it in many car on thailand, similar to this:

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00mBkafDPWncqs/Automatical-Satellite-Antenna-For-Car.jpg

That is an excellent idea, I have one on my car, I paid 15000 THB for it, it works very well and you don't need to worry about pointing it, it points itself. It will work with TRUE (I have tested it with all channels on the Platinum package), it also works with GMM Grammy but only one polarity.

It is the sort of thing you could pop on your balcony table, and no-one would be any wiser. It doesn't work in the rain though.

You can download free apps for iPhones and Androids that use augmented reality to show where the satellite is by using the camera and virtual overlay. Search "dishpointer AR", this could help you decide if you have a good line of site - and the satellite is not a pin-prick in the sky, you actually need a good clearance around that position also.

indoor satellite dish?

really?

Lots and lots of info online about how to go about installing a dish indoors.

Edited by Satcommlee
  • Like 1

Many if not all condos that do not permit personal dishes have a common dish and distribution system on the roof. You plug a standard satellite receiver into the outlet and bob's your uncle :)

Ask the management office what's available.

There IS a small dish available. It measures about 15 inches across, if I remember rightly (Maybe even smaller).

When I saw it in operation I was surprised. I was surprised at how small it is and even more surprised to see it had good signal quality too. And yes, this was in Pattaya.

Granted, the dish was set up outside the shop next to the main road and cable was run from there into the shop itself. They were testing the unit on the day I went to the shop.

Maybe this size dish could do exactly what the OP wants. Inobtrusive and small. I could see it fitting on a balcony rail or pointing through a window.

What the reception would be like and what band (C or KU) that it was working on, I have no idea. Yet it could be worth looking into.

You could use a satellite dish for cars and keep it in the balcony...

I saw it in many car on thailand, similar to this:

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00mBkafDPWncqs/Automatical-Satellite-Antenna-For-Car.jpg

Oh is that what those things are!!! Why do cars need satalite dishes? Can i use one of these to get ubc?

Yes, you can watch UBC whilst driving down the highway at 120 KPH..

For me it keeps me sane when I visit the in-laws in Nakhorn Nowehere..

post-134820-0-93943200-1364205046_thumb.

Here I am watching the history channel biggrin.png

Driving down the highway watching the history channel at 120kph with beer? You will be on the history channel soon!

Not a chance, can't you see the flower thing hanging from the rear view mirror?.... They protect me from Accidents.

Car was parked fro the night, in case anyone takes me seriously biggrin.png