Thai Govt's First-Car Scheme Slammed On Social Media

webfact

Maybe its just me but in recent years it appears there's a very big increase in people taking on debt. This car scheme is another one of those things that enable people to get into debt and they seem to do so happily. Credit card use is also much bigger now than a few years ago, both among my friends here, as well as when looking at how people pay at the supermarket, Robinson/Central, etc.

In the past five years or so, in much of the western world people are trying to limit debt and get rid of excessive credit card limits (I reduced mine down to $500, even though I kept getting letters from the bank offering to increase the limit to $10,000 at the stroke of a signature). It looks to me like the moneymen have set their eyes on new markets now to increase debt levels and rake in the cash...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Issan you have most of the biggest cities in Thailand, and you talk about BKK.

Since the floods until NOW no one has been able to walk into an Issan car showroom and buy a car on the day for the past one and a half years--floods--then the scheme has made everyone ORDER in advance when wanting to buy an ECO car.

Why cannot farang buy a car with the 100,000 reduction ??? is his money not good enough ???

Now from today there are models available, because most of the first time buyers have bought.

and a big per/cent of them are NOT first time and get away with it.

A gimmic like most election promisses.

Why also don't most retailers take in your old car in part exchange---near all have to CALL A FRIEND...business Ha Ha.

Newer cleaner safer emissions cars are probably better if they replace old smelly unsafe ones.

Now they need to start fining and crushing a lot of this old junk on the road.

Should have made it like the UK where the new car had to replace one over 10 years old which had to be scrapped so no increase in cars and more efficient ones bought. I believe the USA had something similar.

• Like 1

Mrs Arkady is very happy scaring taxi drivers with her 2.8 litre Chevrolet Colorado pick-up, now nearly a year old, which goes like a bomb. I should be getting about 90,000 baht excise tax back quite soon.

• Like 1

At least 'some' Thai's can see the stupidity of the scheme. But will they voice that opinion at the next election?

The people in Issan won't buy a car so they don't care. They are the majority that voted this government in.

Well in my part of Isaan there are plenty of new cars. First time buyers yes and many that have bought a car in an elderly relatives name and/or someone who cannot drive.

Another misplaced government issue. This offer is available in all areas, but it is not regulated carefully enough. Who checks the person reportedly making the purchase ? Do they complete a means test ? There are both Thai's and foreigners living here that are cheating the system, what a suprise. They get a hugely discounted price and then complete the purchase in cash rather than on credit. Aid for the poorer people who could otherwise not afford to buy a car, no way.

OKay

Why so many cars in Bangkok This is the easiest thing to answer. I live in Lam Lukka and can tell you that the number of new houses and condo's that are being built is booming. I would be wiling to say that at least 70% of the people buying work in the BMA. This means that they need a means to get in and out of Bangkok on a daily basis.

Forget about bus service in Bangkok there is enough and it is good what they need is a means of transport for people living outside the city that does not take 2 hours to complete.

Solution:

First set up a major bus system on the off ramps of the motorway for people to park where they can get an express coach that takes them to either an MRT or BTS station and make it something that during rush hour works on a 15 minute schedule with only the stops at set spots. During off hours have it run hourly.

A good example is Ontario's GO transit in Toronto.

Oh yeah JACK THE XXXX OUT OF PARKING LOT PRICES and have insurance companies jack the cost if you are driving to work. Both will discourage people from using their car and will encourage them to use the buses.

Extend the BTS to Don Mueng would be the final point making it a major hub for commuters into the city.

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity removed

Well I wish everyone good luck with their new car they bought by using the first car scheme. Why not? I mean when you're planning to buy a car and can obtain for this scheme it's a good idea. Everyone has it's own pro's and contra's about the scheme and that's your good right. Point is only... it's there, so use it or not otherwise you're a thief in your own pocket :)

Personally I think (also my right) that it's not good to use a sudden tax-scheme for a car. I said from the beginning of the announcing that it's better to use the money for all the people in Thailand and not only a sudden group. It's not fair in my point of view. Better use it for the terrible infrastructure in Thailand, public transport, parking lots, reducing the pollution and maintaining the lousy roads. Indeed I said also it's always the best to use it for a first house scheme. Then the money will be invested in a house for lengths of years.

Now you need to keep the car at least 5 years and get the tax back in parts. My neighbour told me she will get the total amount of 75.000 baht tax-returns back in 4 terms over 2013 and not at once. When you sell the car earlier, you also need to pay back a sudden amount of the received tax (clearly told by the tax office!).

Last time I hear already that many new owners already have problems with the monthly payments. Well, is that what you want? I ask myself sometimes if the authorities also look if someone is capable to pay the monthly payments but that's not their problem is it?

Nevertheless, to all... enjoy your first car :)

Edited by Geratul

Is it possible the government were under pressure from the car manufacturers that lost hundreds of new cars in the floods to come up with a scheme that would result in selling more of their new cars ? I agree about the traffic jams. I was in Bkk yesterday going from the Government offices compound to Mo Chit and the traffic was impossible.

My very first thought as well, right on!

Traffic in Bangkok is bad, there is no denying that, but its not the worst by any means (try getting anywhere at all in Manila during the day). To say that taxis are not cheap is absolute rubbish - try taxis in Sydney if you want to compare service and cost - it is also good to have the BTS, but of course that only helps along a few very limited corridors around the city.

We need more public transport, better mid-sized busses (with properly trained and safe drivers), and of course expansion of the rail system, be it the BTS or the MRT, as both offer truly excellent service, at international levels of quality and convenience, and extremely cheap too. I compare our system favourably against the Hong Kong MTR, the Singapore MRT, and the KL LRT - but all of them are really well ahead of things like the infrequent and dirty rail service offered in places like Sydney - so Asia in general is good, and Bangkok's rail services are world class.

One major pain that is already frustrating for travellers is the lack of a high speed connection between Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports, so any increase in city traffic impacts that as well - perhaps a rail system along Viphawadee-Rangsit Road would be helpful to all concerned, and if it also happened to connect in a convenient manner to the Airport Link, that could be a real help (although rush hour would not be the time to transfer from airport to airport if it could be avoided).

I tend to agree with those who feel that a first HOME buyers scheme would be money well spent, rather than this rather short sighted, and obviously politically motivated silliness.

The connection between Don Mueang and Suvarnibhumi lacks but 1720 meter of rails.

Within the existing service the train could run 3 times an hour, each way

Rolling stock is available or can be bought off the shelve.

Before the floods the lowest price for city-vios about 600,000.

enter the eco cars---mirage-brio-march at 400,000 bht, all 5 seaters most hatch. then the 100,000 OFF for 1st time buyers---attractive to the public, YES--to environment YES-to fuel costs YES- to the finance companies YES, to the government purse NO NO a loser and a big per/cent will not be able to pay back the finance. in 1 year or so a bi glut of 2nd hand cars at good prices, wait to buy your eco car 2nd hand next year.

• Like 1

Before the floods the lowest price for city-vios about 600,000.

enter the eco cars---mirage-brio-march at 400,000 bht, all 5 seaters most hatch. then the 100,000 OFF for 1st time buyers---attractive to the public, YES--to environment YES-to fuel costs YES- to the finance companies YES, to the government purse NO NO a loser and a big per/cent will not be able to pay back the finance. in 1 year or so a bi glut of 2nd hand cars at good prices, wait to buy your eco car 2nd hand next year.

The Vios J manual was around 515,000 then as it is now but yes the eco cars are less expensive. I agree, many will default and thus lose their expected rebate. This issue with used cars is that more efficient ones will be released like the 1-liter Fiesta.

I think the uproar against the scheme is in part due to major BTS extension which is causing havoc; it's just coincidence that it's happening now.

My opinion is that, most laws that spend this much of the tax payers money should be voted on by the tax payers, not some elected a_hole.

Oops! You seem to have a point.

However politicians worldwide have the "sincere" belief that they are wiser and more honest than the average voter thus they do what they want.

Their assumption is "You voted us in, thus we have the mandate"rolleyes.gif

Yep, I hear Thais all day long "no good na" to everything, corruption, traffic, violence etc. but do Thais ever do anything? The masses are just good little sheep bleating their way through life, happily distracted by a Hello Kitty doll or a new iphone and those in power know it.

Just like every other country on earth. Revolutions only happen when people are uncomfortable, not when people are outraged. Outrage is cheap. Action takes energy.

Before this first car program started, the traffic level in Pattaya was fine.

Now the roads at certain times of the day are almost impassable.

Gee I wonder if there is a link. Other countries have massive financial costs to own a car, such as Hong Kong and Singapore. This is to discourage additional cars that in the future will create gridlock. Thailand is clearly cutting its own way, by doing the opposite and ASSISTING in car ownership... :-)

I just wanted to add that traffic Jams are often worsened by poor traffic management.

Where I live the traffic is crazy on a more or less daily basis, but if you take a step back and look what is happening you would find the route causes are in addition to and often result in more delays than the volume of traffic.

1. Bus drivers blocking three lanes, because they refuse to wait in line

2. bus drivers waiting too long at a stop in order to pick up more passengers, causing No1

3. Taxi drivers blocking 2 lanes waiting for customers

4. Right turn only lanes unusable, because some halfwits going straight are blocking the lane

5. 2km of traffic waiting to turn into central department store, blocking three lanes out of four on a major road and causing a major snarl up. Until this is addressed few other improvements will make little difference.

6. A whole lane blocked at a crossroad because 4 or 5 vehicles decide to jump the red lights

7. As a result or 1,2 and 3 drivers wanting to turn left stay on the right (I am referring to a 4 lane road) until the last moment and slowly proceed to the left and blocking the traffic

I am sure it has been said before, but I will say it again.

Drivers need proper driver training, the roads need proper policing, not endless road checks but serious fines for bus drivers, taxi drivers and private drivers who flout the law and drive without any consideration for other motorists, and if Central or anyone is contributing to delays (due to poorly planned parking (entry/exit)) they need to be told to improve their parking, charge for it (to limit demand), or shut down the car park.

• Like 1

I agree about the traffic jams. I was in Bkk yesterday going from the Government offices compound to Mo Chit and the traffic was impossible.

CM isn't much better today... it has turned into a mini-Bangkok or a Bkk-MkII.

My opinion is that, most laws that spend this much of the tax payers money should be voted on by the tax payers, not some elected a_hole.

I'm still waiting for a government anywhere in the world who would do just that: any decision that affects more than x people or costs more than y money to be presented to the public to vote on (will have to use an online system people can access from home, using an online identity). I guess it will be a long wait... (trend appears to be for governments to become more aggressive and authoritarian, ignoring public interest on an ever larger scale - not talking about LOS per se, also in the West).

Traffic in Bangkok is bad, there is no denying that, but its not the worst by any means (try getting anywhere at all in Manila during the day). To say that taxis are not cheap is absolute rubbish - try taxis in Sydney if you want to compare service and cost - it is also good to have the BTS, but of course that only helps along a few very limited corridors around the city.

We need more public transport, better mid-sized busses (with properly trained and safe drivers), and of course expansion of the rail system, be it the BTS or the MRT, as both offer truly excellent service, at international levels of quality and convenience, and extremely cheap too. I compare our system favourably against the Hong Kong MTR, the Singapore MRT, and the KL LRT - but all of them are really well ahead of things like the infrequent and dirty rail service offered in places like Sydney - so Asia in general is good, and Bangkok's rail services are world class.

One major pain that is already frustrating for travellers is the lack of a high speed connection between Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports, so any increase in city traffic impacts that as well - perhaps a rail system along Viphawadee-Rangsit Road would be helpful to all concerned, and if it also happened to connect in a convenient manner to the Airport Link, that could be a real help (although rush hour would not be the time to transfer from airport to airport if it could be avoided).

I tend to agree with those who feel that a first HOME buyers scheme would be money well spent, rather than this rather short sighted, and obviously politically motivated silliness.

Going by the 800.000 cars bought in Bangkok alone under this scheme, and the 100.000 Baht tax cut per car that adds up to 80 Billion Baht.

From what I know the BTS "Purple Line" under construction has a cost of 50 Billion Baht.

So let's see... a one time vote buying scheme to serve 800.000 people to buy a car or an enduring public mass transportation line that would last decades, be of benefit to everyone that moves through the city and actually help solve at least two of the main problems in Bangkok (traffic & pollution)... hmmm, OK, let's go with the instant gratification, vote buying scheme.

• Like 1

Yep, I hear Thais all day long "no good na" to everything, corruption, traffic, violence etc. but do Thais ever do anything? The masses are just good little sheep bleating their way through life, happily distracted by a Hello Kitty doll or a new iphone and those in power know it.

Just like every other country on earth. Revolutions only happen when people are uncomfortable, not when people are outraged. Outrage is cheap. Action takes energy.

I think Thais are a little more advanced than most