Double Pricing Hidden In Plain View

I strained my back trying foolishly to lift something heavier than BigC yesterday, and had to go to the Lamai Clinic next to the Weekender Resort and get a shot of cortisone and some anti-inflammatory pills (which worked like a charm -- I love drugs).

Being next in line, I didn't need to wait long for an audience, but before I saw the doctor, I was looking at the sign on the counter and "practicing" reading the Thai. At the bottom, in very big English letters was printed that the examination fee to see the doctor is 500 baht. However, if you happen to be Thai or can read the language, you will notice that the first line on the top of the list says (in Thai) that examination and treatment is 100-500 baht.

I mentioned this to the doctor (who I think does a fine job, by the way, and have patronized him for years), and he just sort of giggled in the Thai way that says, "You got me, but so what?"

Anyway, another example of foreigners getting the shaft job in a place you would not really expect it.

Anyway, another example of foreigners getting the shaft job in a place you would not really expect it.

Oh, no. I'd fully expect it anywhere in Thailand in any business being run by Thais of any caste and social level.

100-500 baht per visit? whats the problem? many thais on a minimum wage(300 baht per day) could not afford a 500 baht visit,while to us farangs 500 baht is not expensive,people have to make a living.On the other side of the coin go to any thai cafe and we will pay the same as any thai,good food,cheap price,cos the staff are all on minimum wage so we and thais can afford a good meal out.we cannot have it both ways and sometimes in some businesses we are asked to pay more

Thais who travel and live abroad are typically much wealthier than the average American

Im glad you feel that it is ok to charge thais in the us 5x more than americans for a doctors visit

You do feel that way, right? Othetwise you are a hippocrite

• Like 2

One thing you can get done for free here, is checking blood pressure, at least at the clinic in Maenam...

They make you sit and wait 10 minutes, which is what they are supposed to do!

I have no objection of paying a little bit more at the hospital than locals, ! ..... I agree with Samui Beachcomber on that .... it's usually faster and more efficient than the "west"..... and lots less money!

• Like 2

One thing you can get done for free here, is checking blood pressure, at least at the clinic in Maenam...

I have no objection of paying a little bit more at the hospital than locals, ! ..... I agree with Samui Beachcomber on that .... it's usually faster and more efficient than the "west"..... and lots less money!

As long as you realize what a slippery slope youre on, som nam na

The DR in the OP (c/w shades & black Mercedes) would no doubt pay THB 40 (or whatever the cost is these days) to enter a national park while the ferang in front on a motocy stumped up THB 400!

I have always paid Thai price in National parks after showing my Thai DL.

hippocrite

An American hypocrite?

Cute term. smile.png

I realize i made a spelling error but i dont undetstand your post, please elaborate

A hippo (hippopotamus) is a large, fat, lazy animal.

Is that a large enough clue?

The DR in the OP (c/w shades & black Mercedes) would no doubt pay THB 40 (or whatever the cost is these days) to enter a national park while the ferang in front on a motocy stumped up THB 400!

I have always paid Thai price in National parks after showing my Thai DL.

You've also paid ferang price at medical establishments.

Edited by evadgib

100-500 baht per visit? whats the problem? many thais on a minimum wage(300 baht per day) could not afford a 500 baht visit,while to us farangs 500 baht is not expensive,people have to make a living.On the other side of the coin go to any thai cafe and we will pay the same as any thai,good food,cheap price,cos the staff are all on minimum wage so we and thais can afford a good meal out.we cannot have it both ways and sometimes in some businesses we are asked to pay more

Speak for yourself, because you sound a right big time charlie. Its people like you that foolishly condone such criminal practice that do no good for the island or decent law abiding foreign nationals.

I also hope the dishonest doctor goes bust as there are plently of decent honest ones to use. There are far more decent honest thais to use so why not reward honesty rather than dishonesty.

When i asked a thai friend this morning about some who knowingly overpay he laughed and said 'some farang just stupid!" laugh.png

oh yes i am one big time charley,i can throw 500 baht around till the cows come home............seroiusly many health practices charge like the OP mentioned.If you cannot afford 500 baht,take your business elsewhere.I personal dont have a problem with paying 500 baht especially if i get good service.

Edited by samuibeachcomber
  • Like 2

Sometimes it's "swings and round-a bouts" .... If I was to add up the things I don't get charged for, I think things would even out....

Yes, there are some greedy people but certainly not all of them ... and not just in Thailand,

Today for instance I had to take my bike battery down to get re charged (some twit left the key turned on! blink.pngbiggrin.png ) So I ran it down to the Castrol Shop in Maenam, (JJ's) and left it for him to charge.... When I returned he said "OK no charge"(money!!!!tongue.png ) ... and not the first time he's done that thumbsup.gif

I know the Thai's pay 20 to 30 baht for having a battery charged ....

There are a number of other examples I could give... but it's really not worth it! whistling.gif

• Like 2

What I call stupid is to pay 2000 Bath in our poshest hospital just for the doctor to look for 3 minutes at my problem and subscribe me (ridiculously strong and expensive ) antibiotics for another 1500 Baht. When I went to a Thai doctor before I paid 500 Baht for AB + consultation.

• Like 1

As long as you realize what a slippery slope youre on, som nam na

What kind of idiotic comment is this?

• Like 2

By the way... A friend of mine got examined by a farang doctor living in Samui ( not openly practicing) - he got his leg checked, no radio, nothing, no blood analysis...nothing specific, he jus needed to have a an advice in his mother tongue.

He was asked to pay ....... you won't believe it ...

2000 TB

And this happened 10 years ago.

Edited by Opl

It's expected in Thailand that those who have more money to pay more. It nothing do with being a foreigner as such, but with the assumption that you (like the average hi-so Thais) have more money than most patients who visit this surgery.

What I call stupid is to pay 2000 Bath in our poshest hospital just for the doctor to look for 3 minutes at my problem and subscribe me (ridiculously strong and expensive ) antibiotics for another 1500 Baht. When I went to a Thai doctor before I paid 500 Baht for AB + consultation.

1. prescribe

2. don't go to poshest

wow..... super off-topic replies...amazing..

I am just pointing out that double pricing (one for us", one for "them") is there but only or in spite of being able to read the sign. Maybe it's more a post saying you should get off you duff and lean to read and write Thai... biggrin.png

It doesn't help.

There are many restaurants that have menus in Thai and English. A lot of them offer the same meal (on the menu) but the Thai price is lower than the English price.

When asking the staff - the Thai price cheaper - can I order that one? The answer is always - NO. Thia plate smaller. Not for farang.

So - read the language - get charged the higher price anyway.

It has been mentioned on this forum a number of times now - there are at least three prices on Samui.

Foreign tourist.

Foreign local (discount)

Local

BUT - Samui is a holiday destination. The price is whatever they can get away with. If you think that holiday destinations in other countries are any different - you are being naive.

Over 40 years ago - I had family in Devon in the UK. There were always two prices. Locals and Grockels (tourists).

This is not unique to Samui.

How many examples would you like?

Today I am shopping in Boots (Big C).

3 people in the queue before me. We all buy something different. The price for each of us is the same. 200 baht. There was no till receipt. In my local pharmacy, I never pay that much. Boots happened to be more convenient today.

Am I causing inflation or encouraging corrupt practice - no. It will happen in spite of me. Again, this is not unique to Samui.

• Like 2

I earn Thai wages. I pay Thai tax (which none of my Thai business associates/friends manage to get around to doing). I find 500 baht ridiculously expensive for a clinic visit. I find your sweeping assumptions odorous. I go to Nathon hospital because I don't mind waiting in line for a few hours while people who are bleeding are dealt with before me. Then I get my ears/eyes/nose/kidneys/whatevers tested for a few baht by the same doctors who tourists pay tens of thousands for via their holiday insurance.

I tried for a while tonight, but can't find any connection at all between health care and eating noodles.

Is this just me? I wonder if anyone else can?

R

Out of interest what's a few baht? ears, eyes, kidneys nose, al checked, that has to more than a few baht

Thais who travel and live abroad are typically much wealthier than the average American

Im glad you feel that it is ok to charge thais in the us 5x more than americans for a doctors visit

You do feel that way, right? Othetwise you are a hippocrite

Thais who travel and live aboard are by a vast majority Thai females from poor families.

You've also paid ferang price at medical establishments.

I have paid 50 baht at a hospital once in Chiang Mai

Never had to use a hospital on Samui since I moved here 8 years ago.

OK, 200 baht for medical certificate for WP and DL . sad.png

edit: I forgot, when i renewed my DL 5 years ago I forgot to bring med. cert.

I went to Nathon hospital and got one, guess what it cost, 50 baht.

I always get 25% "valued customer" discount at my local pharmacy.

At my dentist I pay 500-700 baht for a filling.

I paid 5000 baht for two jackets.

My third one I got for 2000 baht.

Edited by PoorSucker
add info
  • Like 1