Thai Internet Dating Websites

robert2

I just read a debate thread on farang/thai relationships. It also had a link to a poll saying around 8% found their gf/bf/spouse via a internet dating service.

I'm born in Thailand but live in Europe. I have just started a import business and all my products happans to be made in Thailand (coincidence though). So I go to Thailand whenever possible.

I have had some experience with Thailovelinks.com which is a Thaivisa sponsor. I found that Thailovelinks is a seriously run dating site and I initially just signed on to see what it was all about.

After 6 months I found myself VERY close to getting married to a nice Thai lady! But long distance relationships are just difficult. (Un-?)fortunately she changed her mind but we're still friends.

Some ladies are looking for a rich guy, others are just having fun and a lot like to find serious relationship. The common rule is that women on dating websites are in control.

I do think internet dating sites can be a very good option for busy people, and I could easily see myself going online to find new friends. It's also a good option to get contact before you go to Thailand. I actually think I might be doing some business with one or two of the ladies I'm keeping contact with, as I need someone to find new products for my company to import.

I also found some good chatting friends in Thailand and the USA (women that I didn't find any romantic interest in/from) on online dating services.

So my question:

What do you think about Thai Internet dating services?

All comments and perspectives are welcome!

Paul Simon once sang that there are 50 ways to leave your lover; I think there are as many, if not more, ways to find your lover!

I have nothing against introduction agencies per se, and can see why busy people may not have the time to meet someone. They are also, I think, very useful for people who find meeting other people difficult, through shyness for example.

However, there are a lot of scammers out there. Find out exactly what range of charges the agency make and what they provide for those charges before parting with any money. Beware agencies who say that they can guarantee a visa for your partner, they are lying.

If you do meet your partner through an agency, do not worry about telling the embassy this on any subsequent visa application. As long as the relationship is genuine the embassy don't really care how you met each other. Some agencies will tell you different, and encourage you to make things up for the visa application. Don't listen to them!

I have heard of at least one agency that demanded more money from a couple they had introduced in order to 'help' them prepare their visa application. When they refused the agency told them that they stood no chance of getting a visa without their help; which is rubbish.

So, basically, if thinking of using an introduction agency approach it in the same way you would any major expenditure. Research what they have to offer, the cost etc. Ask questions, if they wont answer look elsewhere. Ask if they have references from satisfied clients. If they wont provide them go elsewhere.

As in all things; caveat emptor.

Just want to add that 'met on the internet' includes A LOT more than just dating sites. There's LOADS of (Thai language) friends & contacts sites. Possibly better hunting there, some will speak enough English too. (But obviously easier to find your way around if you learn to read some Thai. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao