Smog In Northern Provinces Threatens Public Health

webfact

Smog in northern provinces threatens public health

By Digital Media

13642028543565.jpg

CHIANG MAI. March 25 – Smog in the northern provinces threatens health of local residents as the dust particle level is over the safety standard in all the region.

Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Preecha Rengsomboonsuk visited this northern province to meet governors of nine northern provinces to assess the smog situation and discuss how to deal with the problem.

The authorities will focus on more enforcement of the law and inspection to ease the problem.

A high pressure cold mass covering the northern provinces is aggravating the problem. The particle dust less than 10 microns is over the safety standard of 120 microgrammes per cubic metre (mg/cm3) in every province.

In Chiang Mai, the air quality at city hall measures at 200 mg/cm3. Local residents must wear health masks.

The Natural Resources and Environment office in Chiang Mai reported hot spots doubled in the past week in Tak, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Phrae, Chiang Rai and Lampang. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-25

This smog is an absolute disgrace. I spoke about this to a high ranking local official last year and was told that it was almost impossible to find and prosecute fire setters. When I suggested that the law ought to be reframed to make the owners on whose land the fire is set, responsible, I was met with an incredulous gawp. Apparently, this angle had not been considered.

"The authorities will focus on more enforcement of the law and inspection to ease the problem."

There must have been about 6 similar threads about the smog on Thai Visa in the last week or so. I have sympathy for those in the North who have to try and live with this day in day out.

If the problem is the uncontrolled burning off, there must be an easy way for the authorities to enforce the law and ease the problem.

Just send enforcement officers out into the countryside and start booking the offenders. Easy to locate a 'smoking gun' isn't it?

Word would get around very quickly. Surely?

Or are these meetings with Governors just more talk-fests to give the illusion of attacking the problem.

It's silly now to focus on reg enforcement/ban of burning etc...It's just going to happen because there are no incentives for it to happen. Too many powerful people lose economically if there was no burning - cheap way for them to rid themselves of a resource (or in their eyes a waste)...

The focus needs to be on incentives meaning alternatives to burning so direct people benefit or profit by collection of ornganic materiel...

Thailand has a terrible record in reg enforcement so why is it going to change for this particular problem? Get real folks!

If I was running the show, i would ask for outside asssitence in way of UN Environmental Program and other NGOs (Asia Foundation, etc) who have knowledge and resources to implement alternative programs to burning a resource vs collecting a resource...

But first, a whole mindset need to change in the Thai culture before real and concrete behavioral changes can take be put in action and measurable results seen (or in this case not seen)....

CB

It has become obvious that letters to newspapers, petitions, or whatever are going to have no effect whatsoever, and this problem will likely continue for years to come - to the detriment of public health, tourism and commerce.

Possibly the only effective remedy left is for a peaceful, large-scale demonstration - something which would show how very seriously the entire community now views the situation.

This might be done for example by concerted action by the international schools here, who might all agree to close for 24 hours, as a silent protest. Other schools might wish to join, together with local businesses, etc. and any others who share the same commitment, and genuinely care about the future of the city.

This mass action, together with national and global media coverage, might help concerned local government departments - who I believe are now trying their best to solve it - to make the offenders realise the terrible results of their selfish actions; to introduce the comprehensive measures needed to educate them, and after due warning, finally introduce the very severe penalties that are clearly needed to bring the burning to a stop.

I had dinner in chiang mai tonight, near one of the gates. tons of vendors (that narrows it down to 2 gates) and one just started a nice fire with his wood. i'm sure it was a necessity for his business. it was almost comical how it went into the already polluted air. maybe one person looked on and likely said to himself, "really?" but I find it hard to believe anyone will tell him to stop. same mentality in the mountains. they say they must do it for their livelihood, to make more money.......

I am now obsessed with my face mask, and feel bad everytime I see a child.

I try to stay indoors more than normal, and take some allergy medication.

I have two more weeks here, but I wonder the long-term affect on many here. it can't be positive.

Rode down the PIng River on my bike yesterday, villagers were cleaning the roadside for Songkran....and loads of big fires burning the debris. This is a dysfunctional country where inept, incompetent & stupid officials do NOTHING. Think about all the money it has cost the government since Jan 2013 when 90,000 people have been treated for numerous respiratory ailments....and the black spewing carcinogenic trucks continue on the roadways everyday and the fires burn everyday...we can only hope these officials have family members who have to go to the hospitals for problems!

• Like 1

Same shit talkfestt as LAST YEAR.

the only way to.enforce change is EVERYONE ON HERE get on TRIPADVISOR and other travel sites black banning thailand during february march april and see how,fast th e government solves the problems when tourism drops through the floor.

These fools only.look at dollars,and smile. No bloody brains

There are those who say nothing will be done and never changes, etc. And granted it is very hard to see much being done when I see signs everywhere on my commute each day saying no burning yet see burning all over the place. What perhaps most annoys me is the needless burning - piles of leaves, rubbish, etc. All BURNING is bad. It's really is unbelievable to see folk burning. It is stupidity beyond comprehension really. How can folk be so ignorant?! Has the smoke killed their brain cells to such an extent that they cannot make the association between burning and illness?!

Maybe it is just me but I'm also noticing countless blokes driving bikes and smoking on my commute?! If the road pollution wasn't enough, why not drive breathing in seriously toxic air at 100km an hour, and then have a cheeky smoke to make sure the lungs really are given the best chance possible to develop a nice healthy cancer. Mental! You really couldn't make it up.

Anyway, the way the world is now with youtube and instagram and facebook and Tripadvisor (and no one loves those sites more than the Thais) makes it much easier to publicize the problem than say in 2007 when those sites were just starting. If tourists are deterred from coming here during the burning season - as they will be - then that may lead to some action. I have blogged about the problem and made a small video about it and put in on Youtube yesterday. Will it change anything? No. I'm not being delusional here. But it is something. And if it makes potential visitors aware of the problem and put them off coming here - which it will if they watch it/read it - then I feel that is good. Not only for giving them the opportunity to reconsider coming here during this time, but also because of the knock on effects of lost tourist cash. Money talks and it is the pressure from businesses and disgruntled locals that may make something happen.

In a perverse way I'm looking forward to that big golf tournament being hosted here on Thurs - it is suppose to publicize coming here! The schedulers have inhaled too much smoke it seems.

• Like 1

It's so sad to be in such a beautiful place, yet breathing can be so troublesome during this period. It's a never-ending topic for debate, yet nothing can really be done. Dunno if it's an Asian thing but they seem to love burning to eliminate trash and clean up at the expense of health. Thing is, if we can't stand it, then we might as well leave and go back to our world. But do I really want to? hmmm...

Rode down the PIng River on my bike yesterday, villagers were cleaning the roadside for Songkran....and loads of big fires burning the debris. This is a dysfunctional country where inept, incompetent & stupid officials do NOTHING. Think about all the money it has cost the government since Jan 2013 when 90,000 people have been treated for numerous respiratory ailments....and the black spewing carcinogenic trucks continue on the roadways everyday and the fires burn everyday...we can only hope these officials have family members who have to go to the hospitals for problems!

look at the bright side.... if the officials are inept, incompetent and stupid then it is probably a good thing they do nothing......

Every year it's the same old story. It's illegal to burn your fields, people still do it and the law enforcement is just simply watching. Why don't they determine to whom the burning fields belong and give them a hefty fine. That will teach them!!!

If fresh legislation is too cumbersome to ratify, why not use water dumping aircraft?

The cop-out of blaming the smog on fires in Burma is disingenuous- most of the fires are local.

I think this is a great idea. Whilst I'm gathering that you're suggesting this idea is for large rural fires, they should fly around and dump on any fire they see. I'd love to see some selfish <deleted> burning his leaves and plastic have a couple of tons of water dumped on him. Overkill maybe, but he might think twice about doing it again.

If fresh legislation is too cumbersome to ratify, why not use water dumping aircraft?

The cop-out of blaming the smog on fires in Burma is disingenuous- most of the fires are local.

Nah, save the water and dumb salt onto the burn-off areas. Next year they will think twice before they light a fire when they know they can't crop the land because the salt has rended it useless.

• Like 1

......... and the contribution of those who burn off land used for growing biofuel crops as opposed to, for example, rice is?

Oil palms you don't have to burn off (or clear otherwise) every year, as opposed to a seasonal crop like rice?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This country is run by dipshits and administered by dipshits. They are always a day late and a dollar short and do nothing more than spout nonesense. A haze of this magnatutude is most detrimental to health , especially the young and the elderly.

Should it come within a mile of Bangkok there would be a significantly different response but still useless. Idiots.

No there wouldn't. (Bangkok has significantly worse air year round.) The North is worse in the haze season, but better in all other months.