Is There Anything Cheap In Thailand Now ?

sunholidaysun1

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Neversure's comment above describe the situation well,

what is near irresistible for me is the visa (below 50)

Ancher beer is totally irresistible,

and the sea and sea-breeze at sianookville is nice, especially with an ancher in my hand

Edited by poanoi

Cambodia isn't the answer unless a guy is under 50, or doesn't have the bank depost/income requirement for Los. Rent for something decent it higher. Medical care sucks. The infrastructure is lacking. Food isn't very good.

Benefits are the easy visa even if under 50, lack of need for work permit, easy qualification to teach English, cheap alcohol of all types, cheaper bar girls, cheaper cigarettes, and cheaper brand name clothes if they aren't rip offs.

It is a third world hole for the adventurous, but a lot of guys like it.

-

Well said indeed, you're on a roll dude!

Although rents can be just as cheap on the low end if you're there long term invest in upgrading it yourself. Western-level fit and finish is more expensive.

But the food situation is a real negative for me, barely compensated for by the girl situation given my lower level of activity in that arena these days.

I don't find the language more difficult if you spend the same time and effort should get the same results, just that you're investing that into a much smaller pool of livable locations.

And although just as corrupt from a big-picture POV, on the ground the authorities are much easier to deal with - more predictable anyway - for those wanting to be self-employed or starting a business, not like here where they're actively discouraging small entrepreneurs.

the constant / persistent vendors

can pizz you off a bit : (

-

I've actually paid a local to stand near our spot on the beach and keep everyone else at bay.

Hard to find one that isn't just as much a pest themselves, have found suits an older person better than the kids.

As his majesty the King has said: we should all be a part of the efficiency economy. That means there is no need for greed; simply be efficient and consume only what you really need. That is sustainable. He's a wise fellow.

• Like 1

As his majesty the King has said: we should all be a part of the efficiency economy. That means there is no need for greed; simply be efficient and consume only what you really need. That is sustainable. He's a wise fellow.

-

AKA sufficiency.

Everything but tax and rent is more expensive here than in the USA.

I agree. I don't think some of our Western brothers know how much it means to not have import taxes, and I live in a state that has no sales tax.

I do have to pay income tax on income received (earned, paid) in the US but I will have to do that no matter where I live.

-

AKA sufficiency.

Yes both are correct to the same ideal:

Sufficient: The condition or quality of being adequate or sufficient.

Efficient: Achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense; working in a well-organized and competent way.

I wonder if there is a country anywhere in the world where prices remain low over a 12-year period ? Can I ask if you are in BKK or out in the sticks ?

BKK for parts of the year and other times eastern sea board, but certainly not out in the sticks..

And to those who were making patronising remarks about about inflation and pricing increasing over time ....yes i know, nothing stays the same, but can help thinking about the people who are here on fixed incomes as retiree's with the current strength of the THB versus which ever currencies, there must be large numbers now who are getting to point that they cant afford to live in Thailand anymore and are thinking of bailing

Now considering the monthly income of a retiree needs to be THB 65k/m or THB 800k in the bank to be be here legally on retirement, and some of these people say Thailand is too expensive, I am still stugging with some saying 35k-45k is a survivable wage, if some on THB 65k is saying things are getting too expensive here

Yes you can downscale and live in cheaper accomdation, yes eat thb 40 chicken/rice eveyday...but is this really living ?, I can understand this if someone is doing a gap year or two, as we have all done it, but there people who have "full blown lives" here doing it

Good thoughts.

I think a lot of expats use the 800,000 baht bank deposit because they don't meet the income requirements. They can't spend the bank deposit for good, or they can't renew the visa. Of course the recent rise in the baht means more foreign money is needed to equal the bank requirement.

If you have 800,000 baht, you might be looking at it as your out, either for medical or a way home or both. But I think there are a lot of expats who don't have the 65,000 baht income. I'm sure there are.

I also think that a lot of expats consider "living" as being able to drink a lot and maybe visit bar girls. If a guy doesn't have those habits, and maybe doesn't smoke or do any mj or whatever, he can spend all of his income on basics. In that case, with rent as cheap as it is in all but a few places, I don't know why a guy couldn't get by on 30k baht. A lot of school teachers in Isaan do. Sure, more is better, but there are guys on here who report about living with a gf on a farm in Isaan for a pittance.

So I guess it takes all kinds. Some can deal fine with one lifestyle, and some need another. I have noticed that a lot of expats are solitary creatures. They like their space. They can exercise without a gym membership, and entertain themselves with things like reading and the internet. Others need to be in a bar surrounded by people and that's expensive.

I reported that I know a school teacher/boss of some kind with a master's degree who makes 25k. I found out today it's 30k. She told me she had to go to an office and pay 12k bht in taxes on her 360,000 income. Being Thai and Isaan, she knows how to live just fine on that. Maybe she doesn't buy luxuries, but she has a nice pickup and a small house in rural Isaan.

If I was struggling I think I'd go find out from her how to make it on less. Heck, there are guys on here who readily say they moved in with such a gal, share expenses and live cheaply.

Just thinking out loud here. Please forgive. smile.png

Seriously though,do you know any SME business that would have 800,000 baht or the currency equivalent just sitting around in an account paying less interest than the rate of inflation?Just another 'Falang ATM' utterly ridiculous,outdated and downright embarassing visa requirement!

It just shows that the people passing these laws really have no grip on reality,it reminds me of the politician's wife who was caught with 50 bags on the Thai Air flight with no excess luggage charge.When questioned she came out with some garbage about how she was bringing food for the monks,who denied all knowledge of it proving she was too tight to even offer a backhander to the temple for an alibi...TiT!rolleyes.gif

What a silly conversation. Its about one tenth to one quarter in Thailand vs the west.

Prices in the USA are cheaper for the quality you get. Houses are vastly cheaper. Cars are much cheaper. Electronics are much cheaper.

Restaurants are cheaper in Thailand but look what you get. It's typically just a tiny portion of rice, meat, and veggies. I think even clothes are cheaper in the USA.

• Like 2

What a silly conversation. Its about one tenth to one quarter in Thailand vs the west.

Prices in the USA are cheaper for the quality you get. Houses are vastly cheaper. Cars are much cheaper. Electronics are much cheaper. Restaurants are cheaper in Thailand but look what you get. It's typically just a tiny portion of rice, meat, and veggies. I think even clothes are cheaper in the USA.

This is something that I think many other Westerners don't really understand. I'm blown away by prices in other Western countries, but like Thailand, they have high import taxes and high VAT's.

In another thread I posted some grocery store sales flyers and a real estate ad for a really decent house in a decent area with a two car garage and I think 1/5 acre for $57,000 or something similar. I got virtually no comments. In another thread I posted a legit ad for a new 14" laptop computer - good brand but don't remember which - with all the latest stuff including Win 8, 4 gig ram and 500G HDD. It was less than $US350 including shipping with no tax.

I can't live cheaper in the US in the home and acreage I have because utilities and upkeep are too much. I have a landscaper working 40 hours on Spring maintenance this week and next, but the typical lot doesn't need that. All I'd have to do is move to a cheaper home with a typical 1/2 rai lot and I could live as cheaply in the US as I could in LOS. Not only that, I'd have my $100 per month Medicare Advantage to use, and that could be a really big deal at some point.

Folks from Canada, UK, Australia etc. do save money in LOS. It is cheaper in LOS. I get that.

The decision, at least for me, to live in Thailand was a life-style choice far more than a financial one.

As an American, first time in almost 40 years I hadn't owned a car.

Edited by JLCrab

Prices in the USA are cheaper for the quality you get. Houses are vastly cheaper. Cars are much cheaper. Electronics are much cheaper. Restaurants are cheaper in Thailand but look what you get. It's typically just a tiny portion of rice, meat, and veggies. I think even clothes are cheaper in the USA.

I can live pretty decently for about $600. per month in Thailand if I have to. Try that in USA.

Seriously though,do you know any SME business that would have 800,000 baht or the currency equivalent just sitting around in an account paying less interest than the rate of inflation?Just another 'Falang ATM' utterly ridiculous,outdated and downright embarassing visa requirement!

It just shows that the people passing these laws really have no grip on reality

-

No, this is completely intentional.

If you are in a financial situation that means such a small pittance is an issue at all for you personally, then the Thais that run the place honestly do not want you to come here other than as a short term fly in for a holiday then leave tourist.

If you want to stay here for a while, you have to demonstrate that you fit one of the categories that they do welcome. Totally normal and fair, given how most foreigners here act, we are an embarrassment that Thais really don't want to suffer anyway, they are only willing to do so under certain circumstances and that's their right to set conditions for who they want, it's their country.

And nothing to do with small businesses - they want foreign SMEs even less, not at all.

As an American, first time in almost 40 years I hadn't owned a car.

-

And that's a good thing isn't it!

-

Prices in the USA are cheaper for the quality you get.

-

But the people primarily discussing this issue here on TV have no option - nor most of them any desire - to live in the US.

-

Houses are vastly cheaper.

-

In some cases true, but only for purchasing, which isn't an option here anyway so the comparison doesn't apply. Have to compare renting, which is much cheaper in Thailand given equivalent areas, and its really hard to even find areas in the US that are as safe without going out to the hinterlands where few people would want to live.

-

Restaurants are cheaper in Thailand but look what you get. It's typically just a tiny portion of rice, meat, and veggies.

-

Which again is a good thing, given the fact that 3/4 of Americans are overweight and 1/3 dangerously obese.

-

The rest of your nice categories have already been admitted, covered in the detailed post above, and again are generally true only in the US, which isn't an alternative to Thailand for the expats discussing the topic here.

Edited by FunFon

Everything but tax and rent is more expensive here than in the USA.

I didn't realize food had gotten so expensive in the three months I've been out of Thailand. Last time I was in Bangkok I got Pad Thai for 40 baht, earlier this week I paid $10 here in the US smile.png

As for other things, hmmm, bought two pairs of shoes earlier this week, total cost $300. Last time I bought shoes in Thailand I paid 300 baht.

I was shopping for a house recently, nothing within 30 miles of work that runs less then $1,000,000. I can get a condo, but I'll be paying $600,000.

Maybe if you live in a fly-over state it's cheap to live, but who would want to? I've lived in 20 different states and only about 5 are habitable, none of them are cheap.

Edited by akspace
  • Like 1

$600k for a condo. sounds like SoCal or SF lol

Of course the flip side is

Steak at Mortons $50 for the steak $30 for the sides

Steak in TL blink.png My dental insurance doesn't cover self induced stupidity.

La Familia Reserva Tequila at costco $105

Tequila in TL blink.png Not touching it

Burger king Whopper in the states $3.50

Burker king Whopper in TL - about the same w00t.gif and tastes as i remember it!

TJ style street vendor hotdogs at a laker game $3 (bacon wrapped hotdogs with grilled onions and peppers, YUMMY)

TL street noodle soup $1 (Best deal I know of anywhere)

ok i'm just throwing flack into the air.

For this debate, i would say most of the essentials are much cheaper, not by a little, but by a lot.

Not even close.

Some who have been here a while may have noticed prices inching up

well the prices in the home countries haven't inched up in comparison

they have metered up!blink.png

So if you get a pleasure out of complaining, please do so

otherwise, be smart and enjoy what you've got :D

• Like 1