Is There Anything Cheap In Thailand Now ?

sunholidaysun1

Only things that are still cheap is ... and cheap plastic tat from China.

Actually the cheap plastic stuff from China is very expensive when you take into consideration how long (not very) it lasts. More costly European or even Thai made stuff lasts much longer and works out cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaving foam, gillette blades, and also deodorant strike me as being out of proportion with other goods when it comes to price.

For the price of 4 Mach 3 blades you can have an hour of loving with a hot Asian girl.

I'm pretty sure they're not on parity in Western countries.

I haven't bought that there - always take enough to last. But here's a couple of prices in USD. 12 blades for 557 baht, US$18.99 Link

How does that compare? Fortunately for me they last a long time.

A cartridge of 3 now costs a tenner in England (about 440 baht at today rate) not quite an hour but you might get a good hand job

Shaving foam, gillette blades, and also deodorant strike me as being out of proportion with other goods when it comes to price.

For the price of 4 Mach 3 blades you can have an hour of loving with a hot Asian girl.

I'm pretty sure they're not on parity in Western countries.

I haven't bought that there - always take enough to last. But here's a couple of prices in USD. 12 blades for 557 baht, US$18.99 Link

How does that compare? Fortunately for me they last a long time.

A cartridge of 3 now costs a tenner in England (about 440 baht at today rate) not quite an hour but you might get a good hand job

Haha. If I paid a tenner for 3 blades, I'd think I'd had more than a hand job. tongue.png

• Like 1

Actually the cheap plastic stuff from China is very expensive when you take into consideration how long (not very) it lasts. More costly European or even Thai made stuff lasts much longer and works out cheaper in the long run.

-

Yes all those iOS devices sure don't have decent quality control, all the ones made in Europe are so much better.

Let's face it, China's perfectly capable of creating quality stuff these days, but that's not where the profits are except for some niches for the wealthy, the only stuff created to last for a long time is practically hand-made and priced accordingly.

If everyone bought stuff that lasted the global economy would collapse, we're all conditioned to treat everything in our lives as disposable these days, and fashion cycles dictate how long we keep stuff not its quality.

I retired early 11 yrs ago aged 44.......I took a reduced pension option and lived off that and other investment incomes ...I lived in a nice large 3 bedroom house in a very good location I ran a new 4x4 SUV and ate out a couple of times a week and hit the pud 3 times a week ... and after 4 year living this life style I did not manage save a single penny and even started to break into my nest egg.

Then 5 1/2 years ago I sold up and moved to Thailand I now live in and own(via a company name ) a new 3 bedroom villa with a swimming pool&spa on a large plot with a seaview I run a new SUV, 2 motorbikes I eat out most days and drink when and as much as I want and I can now SAVE 40% of my income every

month so yes for me Thailand is still cheap and I'll remain here for the foreseeable future.

so you havnt got a th.wf. yet:whistling:
Yes I had one for 4 years .. she works as a nurse at BPH and to date she has NEVER asked me for penny for her or her family .... and she even pays for the odd night out now and again Edited by banglay

-

Yes all those iOS devices sure don't have decent quality control, all the ones made in Europe are so much better.

Let's face it, China's perfectly capable of creating quality stuff these days, but that's not where the profits are except for some niches for the wealthy, the only stuff created to last for a long time is practically hand-made and priced accordingly.

If everyone bought stuff that lasted the global economy would collapse, we're all conditioned to treat everything in our lives as disposable these days, and fashion cycles dictate how long we keep stuff not its quality.

Look at the Apple label

It says assembled in China. The parts came from other asian countries like Japan, Taiwan, Korea and somethings from Thailand like harddrives.

If its quality product from China its because the MFG spec'd a high quality level. Those aren't cheap products.

I think people are talking about the China made products sold in Thailand like Tesco, Big C etc that wear out fast...

Re #155 above: My TGF has never asked me for a penny either; doesn't speak English and wouldn't know what the word meant. Then again, with your wife I guess she finished nursing school before you met her.

Addendum: So what if you met your (future) wife years ago and she said: "I want to go to nursing school but my family and I do not have the money for me to go." Would you have said: "Sorry, cookie. I need to be able to say down-the-road that my TGF/wife has NEVER asked me for even a penny (or satang), so come back later after you finish school and have started working."

Edited by JLCrab

If its quality product from China its because the MFG spec'd a high quality level. Those aren't cheap products.

I think people are talking about the China made products sold in Thailand like Tesco, Big C etc that wear out fast...

-

Exactly my point - the country is now capable of delivering whatever level of quality the market wants, as spec'd by the brand/retailer.

The fact that the market largely wants crap isn't a reflection on China's capabilities.

• Like 2

@ Meatboy

According to the latest data from the Office of National Statistics, the average weekly wage in the UK is £442 a week, so a tad under £23,000 a year.

After tax and National Insurance deductions that equates to a take home pay, at current rates, of £1,500 a month. Factor in things like Coucil Tax and the like and the average salary isn't too hot.

I will admit to occasionally looking at whether I would be better off back 'home' but the thought doesn't stay with me for long.

I thought the basic hourly rate was in the region of 6 quid and hour . Thats less than 1000 GBP per month before tax. the majority of workers would be on less than 12,000 per year .

One relates to the average, the other refers to the minimum wage, which currently is £6.19 per hour if aged over 21. But the real costs of everyday living here are much lower eg, petrol, no heating costs,

rent, food, restaurants and so on. I used to spend 14000 baht on petrol weekly alone just doing my work.

Edited by delh

Just thought I would post out some recent prices from a local flyer in Calgary Alberta Canada (co-op) on a few items at random prices in canadian dollars (on par with us) for a reference. The price it costs using 29.5 as an exchange rate. Now if you know your market prices you can determine if the prices are high, the same as or lower here in Thailand.

pizza (dominos) 1 medium pepperoni + 2L Coke = 17.99 (537 baht)

pork loin chops = 8.99/kg (269baht/kg)

schneiders bacon 500g = 4.99 (149baht)

romaine hearts 3 per bag = 3.99 (119baht)

sweet potatoes = 1.08/kg (32baht/kg)

fresh mussels = .99/100g or 9.90/kg (297baht/kg)

wonder bread 570g = 2.99/ea (89baht)

no name instant coffee 326g = 4.99 (150baht)

cashews (in a can) 275g = 4.99 (149 baht)

mayo/miracle whip 650ml = 3.99 (119baht)

peanut butter 2kg = 8.99 (269baht)

broccoli crowns = 3.29/kg (98baht)

mangoes = $1/each (29.5baht)

baguette = 1.49/each(44baht)

Post cereals (shreddies, honey o's) = 1.1-1.24/kg box 6.99 (209baht)

toilet tissue 24 rolls (double) = 5.99 (180baht)

Tylenol 40-60's = 9.99 (299baht)

Jack Daniels single malt 750ml = 39.99 (1199 baht)

Coors Light 24 pack cans = 32.99 (989baht or 41 baht per can)

Canadian Club whisky 750ml = 18.99(569baht)

Skyy Vodka 750ml = 19.99(599baht)

RENT - average rent in Calgary (does not include water, electric or cable T.V.) based on 1-2 bedroom apartments average size 600sq feet.

$1.587(47,610baht) lowest I could find in a decent neighbor hood was $985 (29,550baht)

Average cost to buy or build a home under 2,000sq feet

to buy = $372,000(11,160,000)

to build = $589,000(17,670,000baht)

Peter's Drive In - best burgers in town!

Burgers
3.40 CHEESE BURGER 3.80 DOUBLE BURGER 4.20 DOUBLE CHEESE 4.60 TRIPLE BURGER 5.00 TRIPLE CHEESE 5.40 & More HOT DOG 3.00 CHEESE DOG 3.40 SMALL FRY 3.50 LARGE FRY 7.50 ONION RINGS 4.50 GRAVY 1.50

So for me one of the glaring differences is owning or renting your own property. Food items can be slightly more depends where you buy and what you buy.

Calgary a big city (by canadian standards 1,000,000 people - oil and gas driven - good economy) good infrastructure, transit system and major league sporting teams (hockey, baseball).

Re #155 above: My TGF has never asked me for a penny either; doesn't speak English and wouldn't know what the word meant. Then again, with your wife I guess she finished nursing school before you met her.

Addendum: So what if you met your (future) wife years ago and she said: "I want to go to nursing school but my family and I do not have the money for me to go." Would you have said: "Sorry, cookie. I need to be able to say down-the-road that my TGF/wife has NEVER asked me for even a penny (or satang), so come back later after you finish school and have started working."

It's been said before I guess but didn't any of Thai Visa guys' western girlfriends ever ask for money? Any divorcees had almost all their assets ripped off by the Western ex?

• Like 1

Isaan will always be cheaper than pattaya and the tourist places.. cheap as chips up here in Buriram.. 3 bed bungalow rent for 6000 per month and food 30 baht for a meal..

Edited by metisdead
: Font, again.

Where does the 'middle class' start in Thailand ? My guess is that it's somewhere around the 100K baht combined household income per month - before dismissing that figure, feel free to provide your own. It's not that long ago that 100K per month was considered quite a good expat salary in BKK - again, feel free to laugh, but that figure was routinely thrown around on another board in 2002. You could double that now and some would still mock you - seems that BKK is full of expat zillionaires ! wink.png

Yes, I know there are Western-style billionaires in Bangkok - I read the same lists you do - but for the 'average' Thai 100K a month must seem like a complete fantasy. Happy to hear otherwise.

(btw, I consider anyone who can afford to buy a BMW outright in Thailand 'rich' - if that is where your middle-class starts, then clearly 100K just isnt going to cut it ...)

No way do the middle class earn 100k per month.. I have 2 Teachers as my neighbours and their combined salary wont be anymore than 60k..

Where does the 'middle class' start in Thailand ? My guess is that it's somewhere around the 100K baht combined household income per month - before dismissing that figure, feel free to provide your own. It's not that long ago that 100K per month was considered quite a good expat salary in BKK - again, feel free to laugh, but that figure was routinely thrown around on another board in 2002. You could double that now and some would still mock you - seems that BKK is full of expat zillionaires ! wink.png

Yes, I know there are Western-style billionaires in Bangkok - I read the same lists you do - but for the 'average' Thai 100K a month must seem like a complete fantasy. Happy to hear otherwise.

(btw, I consider anyone who can afford to buy a BMW outright in Thailand 'rich' - if that is where your middle-class starts, then clearly 100K just isnt going to cut it ...)

No way do the middle class earn 100k per month.. I have 2 Teachers as my neighbours and their combined salary wont be anymore than 60k..

-

Most Thai teachers don't make much more than 20K, bit more for corruption private tutoring.

But not many places in the world where being a teacher puts you into the "middle class" arbitrary as that is, maybe Finland. . .

-

Most Thai teachers don't make much more than 20K, bit more for corruption private tutoring.

But not many places in the world where being a teacher puts you into the "middle class" arbitrary as that is, maybe Finland. . .

That would depend, obviously, on your definition of the term - there is by no means a universally accepted one. One reasonable and widely accepted definition I know of is when people have approximately 35% of their income as discretionary funds. However, there are other ways of looking at it and moreover their are commonly accepted strata within that broader designation (lower, upper etc). And it is generally perceived as socio-economic, rather solely economic.

Teaching is largely considered a middle class occupation in the US, I believe and certainly in some other, perhaps most, places.

100,000 p/mo? I can't see that as in the "middle" by any definition I would agree with even allowing for the fact that there are plenty of wealthy and very wealthy Thais.

EDIT TO ADD: messed up quotes and a failure on my part to read enough of the thread led me to partly misunderstand your post; I think we are probably largely in agreement.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe

-

most farang "english teachers" dont make much more than 20k...either..rolleyes.gif .

Everything is dirt cheap here compared to UK! Except for imported goods...

I came over from london.

Rent is now £200 per month compared to £900.

Meal with drinks in a restaurant £10 compared to £30.

Taxi £1-2 compared with £5-10.

Pint of Beer is £1.40 compared to £4.50.

I think people forget who have been here a while that UK prices rocket too...

Where in the UK can you get a taxi for 5-10 pounds? or is that a mini cab 1/2 mile down the road?

Last time i was in London (okay London may be higher than the rest of the UK) a taxi cost me about UKP 987.76 for a 2mile trip (okay slight exaggeration), its off the planet. Almost as much as a taxi in Nice France where they wanted about a billion French Francs (in 1992) for a 2km trip.

I have to admit - UT and NK dont seem terribly exciting until you've spent a few days in VT - suddenly, crossing back into Thailand seems like an adventure ! tongue.png

Boy ain't that the truth.. I did that last year, went to VT for a visa run.. coming back into Thailand was like stepping into another world. I complain a lot about Thailand, but cannot imagine living in Lao's.. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Isaan will always be cheaper than pattaya and the tourist places.. cheap as chips up here in Buriram.. 3 bed bungalow rent for 6000 per month and food 30 baht for a meal..

Ha!! I think perhaps the best looking women in Isaan come from Buriram, Sisaket, Surin area. I saw more pretty lasses in Buriram than almost anywhere I went. It's just so danged hot there, at least when I was there.