Thai Authorities Decide To Restrict Alcohol Sales During Songkran

webfact

Restrict Songkrang to ONE day {Everywhere} and save Lives....

For a lot of places (most ?) Songkran is only one day. For us if you go out between 0800 and 1900 you will get wet. After 1900 its just about finished.

For me that's no problem, participate or stay in one day.

Agree with suggestion for enforcing one day only.

Where do you live?

In Bangkok it's 3 days. In Pattaya it can be 9 or 10 solid days. Pattaya is totally out of control in this regard.

I live in Bangkok, so I just stock up ahead of time and then batten down the hatches for the 3 days.

As long as we have electricity for the 3 days, I will be bored, but otherwise fine. Good time to catch up on some of those movies I haven't watched yet.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some farangs on here are pathetic. This is NOT your country, if you do not like things that happen here then leave...PLEASE!

Songkran is Thai New Year. It is celebrated by all Thais across the country. I have been privileged to spend the past two Songkrans in rural Thailand where it is a single day and a very good one at that. Food and soft drinks during the late morning and early afternoon. Venues set up with a stage, musicians and full and proper respect paid to the elders of the villages, as is the tradition at this time of the year. Children run around with their water guns but spend most of the time spraying each other - until they see the only farang in town! Later on the booze comes out and everyone has a few drinks. Then it is off in the early evening to whoever is playing host and the serious drinking gets underway for the men and young adults whilst the women prepare more food. Everyone finds a place to sleep when they have had their fill and make their way home when they wake - along farm tracks rather than city roads.

The tradition of Songkran is basterdised in tourist places only and I endured seven years of Pattaya style Songkran which has nothing to do with the spirit of the festival and seems to run forever. But for a foreigner to suggest banning Songkran is so mornoic that the writer should be thrown out of the country.

Yes there are high casualties on the roads over Songkran. Thais are generally not the best or most courteous of drivers even when sober and, of course, nobody should drink and drive. A proper drink drive campaign is required and should run constantly but the behaviour of a few is no reason to even discuss banning the festival.

If you do not understand the country, its traditions, its festivals and its beliefs then go away - you really are not wanted here and do nothing but lower the Thais opinions of those of us that are fortunate to live in this country.

Mmmm...seems your little part of the world is not celebrating traditional Songkran, or you don't know as much as you think. Songkran IS 3 days, the last day of the year, a transitional day (between the 2 years), and then the start of the new year. Each day generally consists of different ceremonies - paying respect to elders, being with family and of course having fun (not everybody gets wasted), but a lot of people do - even in "rural" Thailand, of which you seem to be the sole expert.

Edited by SABloke
  • Like 1

There will be no arrests. Just a bunch of plea bargaining (if by "plea bargaining" you mean bribes). The cops will get rich from both the tourists they shake down and the establishments they "tax/license" during the events.

Nothing new.

In general this is - finally - a good idea.

For one, do you necessarily need to be pissed to have fun? Not really.

For two, driving as a Thai on a wet road is much more dangerous, esp. so when drunk.

For three, many drive upcountry, drink and then drive back still being drunk,- thats a lot of fatalities during the last few days of Songkran.

Of course not all accidents will be avoided, but the government would fall, if there were a country-wide prohibition in place during Songkran. So they try the next best thing, take some (!) fun out of Songkran splashing.

Remember it was only one day Songkran until the early 90's, when then-PM Chatchai Choonhavan wanted to bolster his image and decreed Songkran to become a 3-day holiday. And that's when it started to get ugly...

I'm one of the lot, that leaves the country during these crazy days...

Sam M.

Some farangs on here are pathetic. This is NOT your country, if you do not like things that happen here then leave...PLEASE!

Songkran is Thai New Year. It is celebrated by all Thais across the country. I have been privileged to spend the past two Songkrans in rural Thailand where it is a single day and a very good one at that. Food and soft drinks during the late morning and early afternoon. Venues set up with a stage, musicians and full and proper respect paid to the elders of the villages, as is the tradition at this time of the year. Children run around with their water guns but spend most of the time spraying each other - until they see the only farang in town! Later on the booze comes out and everyone has a few drinks. Then it is off in the early evening to whoever is playing host and the serious drinking gets underway for the men and young adults whilst the women prepare more food. Everyone finds a place to sleep when they have had their fill and make their way home when they wake - along farm tracks rather than city roads.

The tradition of Songkran is basterdised in tourist places only and I endured seven years of Pattaya style Songkran which has nothing to do with the spirit of the festival and seems to run forever. But for a foreigner to suggest banning Songkran is so mornoic that the writer should be thrown out of the country.

Yes there are high casualties on the roads over Songkran. Thais are generally not the best or most courteous of drivers even when sober and, of course, nobody should drink and drive. A proper drink drive campaign is required and should run constantly but the behaviour of a few is no reason to even discuss banning the festival.

If you do not understand the country, its traditions, its festivals and its beliefs then go away - you really are not wanted here and do nothing but lower the Thais opinions of those of us that are fortunate to live in this country.

Thank you for being so kind to enlighten all of us stupid farang about the wonderful life iand festivities of Thailand.

I just have one or the other question, if I may...

1) So...according to you, Pattaya must not be Thailand then or completely emptied of Thais!

If not...what are you complaining about? It is THEIR country, so Pattay Songkran is as good and as "theirs" as "wherever the hell you are"- Songkran!

As is Songkran in Patpong or Khao Sarn Road!

2) You are soooooooo right...there may be casualties!

a few hundered every year, to be precise!

And guess what?

If they would only kill each other, I wouldn't give a hoot about it (actually: that is not true, I would still think, it is a gisgrace! Wanna know why? Empathy! Try some!) But we know, that there are tourists who get killed, too! Yeah...tourists! Those pesky creatures, that (according to your wonderful PM) are not leaving enough money here!

And as long as I am in danger of being killed by some drunk moron myself...I will complain! Is that okay with you and any idea of "free speech"? Thank you!

3) Last but not least: at what time and what point of immigration did you leave the idea of free speech, critical thinking or identity behind, in your desperate attempt, to fit in and to please everyone around you?

Well Doc you have outdone yourself again. Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 1

Problem: Too many deaths & injuries over Songkran, some, but not all alcohol related

Fix: Set up alcohol-free zones

Now, I'm no expert, but isn't this a failure to really address the problem?

I'm sure the number of deaths & injuries on Khao San & Silom is minimal. Why not close those roads to traffic instead. Plus why ban alcohol in the Khao San area at all.

Methinks the BIB have used this as an excuse to maximise their 'fines' over Songkran. But then I'm the suspicious type.

Edited by khunken

I hope the boys in brown will be happy knowing they will have to forego their Songkran family activities for the sake of police work. Sorry guys - out of our hands. But I guess the compensation (HUGE) will be worth it. I'll take my GoPro's with me for the fun and games when I get stopped.

The businesses in these areas will have a fit about this.

Yes we will. It is ridiculous because; A) It won't work as drunk idiots will be wandering the streets as every Songkran since only some 7's and none of the mom and pop shops will adhere to the ban, but all the tourist bars will be forced to, and therefore is B ) an unnecessary hardship on businesses which are losing money due to what already seems like a dry holiday or election every 8th day and 3) drunk driving is already illegal, but not taken seriously in Thailand until someone is hurt or injured.

Edited by NomadJoe

How many "drive" to these spots for Songkran?

Most deaths are on the highways and byways.

Silly boy. That is because everyone will obey the rules, dutifully park their cars outside these zones, get legless, return to their cars and have the accidents you propose later on.

Alcohol is banned in many countries (including USA and UK) during certain events.Also banned in certain streets in UK and USA all the time. Nothing new here.

Not true. I lived in both countries. In the USA and the UK if you have an alcohol reading equivalent to two beers or so, you go to jail, pay a large fine and your car is impounded (that will cost another $100-$200.) and you may lose your driver's license for a year or two. NO PAYOFFS to the cops. Make an offer to pay off a cop and that will get you into a felony situation where you will go to a criminal trial and face hard time .Fair warning to Thais who go to either of these countries.

• Like 1

A friend of mine has a bar in a soi off swcond road in Pattaya that is open fronted. he is seriously thinking of closing his bar altogether. His reasoning is this.

Marauding gangs of shitfaced and shirtlless falangs of the football hooligan type

a. Destroy all his outdoor plants

b. Fire water cannons into his bar wetting his pool table, cues etc plus potentially his expensive Tv, sound and computer systems

C. His staff and customers are continually drenched with dirty water

d. Most of his custom is from expats who leave the city

e. People can't smoke out the front or eat or drink

f. Food vendors go home because they can't set up.

On top of that people lose glasses, contacts and jewelry

If anything Songkran has a negative effect on tourism. I don't know the answers but I suggest a few.

Anyone caught using water cannons of the back of a baht bus or similar into property or moving vehicles. Driver and all occupants arrested and locked up.Any falangs found guilty deported immediately, including those on education visas. Vehicle and equipment impounded for 7 days. (I mean one clown on a Pattaya forum was trying to hire a water tanker)

Anyone caught throwing water outside the normal times and 3 days whatever be charged with assault and if falang bye bye. We take you hotel. Pack your bag, visa cancelled.

A bit of bad press in europe about some gutless <deleted> being permantly banned from Thailand and banged up for being party to hosing a motorcyclist to death might stop some of it.

Or the airlines having to put on extra flights because 1000 dickheads are sent home never to return.

It is only a matter of time until someone starts using a gun or knife to gain retribution when his family have there night ruined and a child is hurt by a a few thugs pissed to the eyeballs and using sewerage water.

The bars who encourage it by providing water in drums should be held responsible by surrounding businesses.

Although judging by my mates sentiments many bars will shut down for a week, the girls go home and the lager louts will less places to drink and less girls to choose from.

Everybody stock up your kitchen with lots of Booze now.. Where is a more detailed map of the Restricted areas during this holiday??

How much more detail do you need? They've named the roads affected.

I suppose he needs a bit more detail than this "Parts of Pattaya and Phuket will be subjected to the dry spell as well." Or perhaps are you psychic.

Den

What a whiney bunch of babies. If you aren't fond of the festivities just stay home, as I'm sure you would for major holidays in your home countries (at which times road deaths from drunk driving also increase).

Granted the plan is not well thought out and it is unlikely to result in any meaningful drop in drunk driving related deaths, but at least they did something to help save face. You gotta give 'em credit for that.

The problem isn't drunk driving per se...it is a lack of education and a lack of serious consequences for breaking the law. But then if they enforced the laws here it would be nothing more than our home nanny states with tropical weather...and I can get that in Florida (or Louisiana and Mississippi if I prefer the Issan experience).

There's no need to complain so much. If you want to drink there will be plenty of places where you can do so and if you want to avoid drunk drivers stay off the roads. As for me, I enjoy Songkran and will be out in the streets with my water gun at hand...so beware! I might even go as far as taking a motocy from place to place (riding, not driving. I don't drunk drive anymore). Shocking I know, but after all, TiT :)

• Like 1

The penalties are there, just ENFORCE them without exception and if anyone is caught offering and/or accepting a bribe, lock them up for 12 months on the first offence and 5 years on the second offence.

Murray.

CNX.

Oh yeah.

I'm sure the tourists are going to love that.

Any plans to compenate uh, like every-single business on Khao San, since they just robbed them out of one of the biggest sales weeks of the year. nahhh.

There will be a rebate scheme introduced, but it will be underfunded by 500%.

• Like 1

The penalties are there, just ENFORCE them without exception and if anyone is caught offering and/or accepting a bribe, lock them up for 12 months on the first offence and 5 years on the second offence.

Murray.

CNX.

Nice idea....only they'd have to convert all those rice containing warehouses into holding cells first.....then perhaps they could turn Phuket into a kind of Alcatraz to keep 'em all !!!

Alcohol is banned in many countries (including USA and UK) during certain events.Also banned in certain streets in UK and USA all the time. Nothing new here.

Thank Buddha that we are in neither the UK or the USA. wai.gif

What a whiney bunch of babies. If you aren't fond of the festivities just stay home, as I'm sure you would for major holidays in your home countries (at which times road deaths from drunk driving also increase).

Granted the plan is not well thought out and it is unlikely to result in any meaningful drop in drunk driving related deaths, but at least they did something to help save face. You gotta give 'em credit for that.

The problem isn't drunk driving per se...it is a lack of education and a lack of serious consequences for breaking the law. But then if they enforced the laws here it would be nothing more than our home nanny states with tropical weather...and I can get that in Florida (or Louisiana and Mississippi if I prefer the Issan experience).

There's no need to complain so much. If you want to drink there will be plenty of places where you can do so and if you want to avoid drunk drivers stay off the roads. As for me, I enjoy Songkran and will be out in the streets with my water gun at hand...so beware! I might even go as far as taking a motocy from place to place (riding, not driving. I don't drunk drive anymore). Shocking I know, but after all, TiT smile.png

I want to like this post x 100.

Far too many miserable old white people in Thailand for my liking.

Like it or leave it.

Anyone caught driving or riding in a car while under the influence of alcohol will be subject to six months’ imprisonment or a THB30,000 fine.

So if I go out and have a few drinks and let my non drinking wife drive home I can still be fined for "riding in a car while under the influence"?!!!!!

That's going too far; if I'm going to be punished for having a designated driver, I may as well drive!!!! Idiots!

• Like 1

True but I think you'll find their police forces are a little different than Thailand's.