Chinese Automobile Giant To Invest 9Bn Baht In Thailand

webfact

another company that thinks its ok to foresake the homeland that educated its owners and top executives and move production to a foreign country therefore depriving its fellow countrymen of jobs and a better standard of living....I would take them all out and shoot them

China is communist. The companies belong to the government. If they build in Thailand, they must believe they can make more profit, perhaps by avoiding import taxes? The Chinese government being communist must feed and house 1.3 billion people. Right now their economy is in the gutter and the Chinese are hurting. I don't know if their cars are any good, but obviously they want more of the global pie.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone find it odd that China, once the cheapest place on the planet to setup manufacturing facilities is now investing in a neighboring country to build a auto manufacturing plant? Truly odd IMO.

To service local market. If they make in china and bring here retail price would be double if not triple due to import car tax, but if made here- will be cheaper than anything else.

Just saw new shop with Chinese import Tuk Tuks. 79 000 baht, compare to local 200 000 baht

That makes sense... Thanks for the explanation...

Remember guys not that long ago we used to frown at KIA--HYundi now look at the styles and the luxury......same goes for Samsung LG we have to take the Chinese seriously----They dont make cars like LADA----remember Wartberg--- some people think These chinese products are the same NO they are a threat to Japan and Korean models--and give them a few years and most will be buying---same LG-from Hitachi--samsung from sanyo

Japan was already an advanced manufacturing powerhouse before WWII. They had the ability to build cars and fighter planes and aircraft carriers and they were good.

When Japan really started rolling out autos internationally on a large scale in the 1960's, they were already very good. They pushed the also very good German VW Beetle right out of the market in the US. They met emissions and safety standards. Up until then the only truly good economy car in the US was the Beetle, but it was air cooled and therefore had a lousy heater and wouldn't accept aircon. The defrosters couldn't handle the colder climates in the US.

The Datsun (Nissan) and Toyota were water cooled which gave them good heaters and defrosters, and the engine design allowed for aircon. The engines also got better fuel economy and lasted a lot longer. They also had a lot more torque for the US mountains. It was a no-brainer when those Datsun and Toyota pickups and small sedans and wagons hit the dealerships. They completely knocked out the US manufacturer's sad attempts at building small cars.

Very soon Ford had Mazda build a pickup branded Ford, and for all I know they still do. I recall them in the early 70's. They were and are darned good little pickups. Not long after the US manufacturers were having their small cars made by Japan and branded as GM or Ford.

Not long after, John Deere contracted with Yanmar of Japan to build all of its farm tractors up to 50 hp, paint them green and yellow and brand the John Deere but if you open the hood on one of them today the engine will say Yanmar. You can't buy a new Yanmar in the US today due to an agreement between John Deere and Yanmar, unless it is green and yellow and says John Deere on it.

By contrast, in the past 5 years many entrepreneurs have begun importing Chinese farm tractors. What a joke. They were cheap but they didn't hold up. They are shit. The dealers I know of already went broke.

China has a long ways to go. They are 80 years behind Japan in technology.

• Like 1

All this is very god for Thailand, but Great Wall produce absolute crap, quality is abysmal!

The Chinese are buying foreign made cars because of the quality difference and the safety factors. Chinese domestic car makers have to go abroad to sell the junk cars they produce in China. The Boyz in Beijing just found another sucker in Thailand.

http://www.ibtimes.com/gm-ford-vw-dominate-chinas-auto-industry-why-cant-chinese-companies-saic-dongfeng-geely-gac-make

China also is number one in the world in traffic accidents, and number one in the world in deaths by traffic accidents. China drivers are the Wild West of the U.S. during the second half of the 19th century, except in China, instead of guns, they have cars to kill each other with.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGdbvRXlNR3UcAYG1XNyoA?p=most%20deaths%

20by%20traffic%20accidents%20country&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-900

Yeah totally agree rubbish cars but i am old enough to remember the first Japanese cars (Datsun) coming to the UK and the likes of British Leyland and Vauxhall openly laughing at them. Well roll on 20 years they were not laughing from the unemployment lines as Japan took over the car and motorcycle industries and showed us how to do it, so the same will happen with China they will get better as time goes on as they already have in the electronics market.

hahaha any one remembers the 1970's fiats / citroen / and more of that crap those were allready corroding in the showroom

but they got (a bit ) better at it

Remember guys not that long ago we used to frown at KIA--HYundi now look at the styles and the luxury......same goes for Samsung LG we have to take the Chinese seriously----They dont make cars like LADA----remember Wartberg--- some people think These chinese products are the same NO they are a threat to Japan and Korean models--and give them a few years and most will be buying---same LG-from Hitachi--samsung from sanyo

As I posted earlier; it is natural progression in a fast growing, emerging economy.

China will surpass all World economies to dominate this century, of that there is no question. When they run out of resources to fuel this insatiable growth they will attempt to take them by force of expansion, just as the Japanese and Germans did during the 30's.

I do not remember the Germans and Japanese investing in places such as Africa to build and secure their global resources supply chain for their manufacturing industries. It's interesting to note Malaysia has invested US$2 billion more than China in Africa, not much of a difference, but surprising. I would assume that China to be more successful in securing it's resources supply chain it will need to enter technology exchange agreements to counter the other BRICS countries. China is also securing it's food supply chain, with significant agricultural land investments offshore.

Their are some concerns being expressed regards China in Africa. More at http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/world/africa/brics-to-form-development-bank.html?_r=0

“Africa’s commitment to China’s development has been demonstrated by supply of raw materials, other products and technology transfer,” Mr. Zuma said. “This trade pattern is unsustainable in the long term. Africa’s past economic experience with Europe dictates a need to be cautious when entering into partnerships with other economies.”

Edited by simple1

another company that thinks its ok to foresake the homeland that educated its owners and top executives and move production to a foreign country therefore depriving its fellow countrymen of jobs and a better standard of living....I would take them all out and shoot them

China is communist. The companies belong to the government. If they build in Thailand, they must believe they can make more profit, perhaps by avoiding import taxes? The Chinese government being communist must feed and house 1.3 billion people. Right now their economy is in the gutter and the Chinese are hurting. I don't know if their cars are any good, but obviously they want more of the global pie.

I am not sure where you been for the past decade but rest assured companies DO NOT belong to the government but are privately owned or public company's. I also do not think you understand what communist government actually means.

What it means is that everything is government owned, which is clearly not the case in China

As I posted earlier; it is natural progression in a fast growing, emerging economy.

China will surpass all World economies to dominate this century, of that there is no question. When they run out of resources to fuel this insatiable growth they will attempt to take them by force of expansion, just as the Japanese and Germans did during the 30's.

I do not remember the Germans and Japanese investing in places such as Africa to build and secure their global resources supply chain for their manufacturing industries. It's interesting to note Malaysia has invested US$2 billion more than China in Africa, not much of a difference, but surprising. I would assume that China to be more successful in securing it's resources supply chain it will need to enter technology exchange agreements to counter the other BRICS countries. China is also securing it's food supply chain, with significant agricultural land investments offshore.

Their are some concerns being expressed regards China in Africa. More at http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/world/africa/brics-to-form-development-bank.html?_r=0

“Africa’s commitment to China’s development has been demonstrated by supply of raw materials, other products and technology transfer,” Mr. Zuma said. “This trade pattern is unsustainable in the long term. Africa’s past economic experience with Europe dictates a need to be cautious when entering into partnerships with other economies.”

There probably aren't enough natural resources in the world to sustain a Chinese population on a GDP per head basis similar to the US or Europe.

I am not sure where you been for the past decade but rest assured companies DO NOT belong to the government but are privately owned or public company's. I also do not think you understand what communist government actually means.

What it means is that everything is government owned, which is clearly not the case in China

It would also imply that they aren't capitalist, which today, is glaringly untrue.

• Like 1

I would use the term 'Automobiles' loosely.

Probably some of the worst cars in history were excreted from China.

This is the best they can do....COPY...badly I may add.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

some western car manufactures would love to have at least a litte of the economic grow rates Chinese car manufacturers enjoy. but they haven't they are in a crisis or the the Chinese bought them already.

guess whose laugh will last longer?

It certainly won't be buyers of Chinese cars

It would also imply that they aren't capitalist, which today, is glaringly untrue.

An American CEO of note arrived in

Shanghai circa 2005 to suss out what the hype was about. After a day he said: if this people are communist, then I am Karl Marx.

ask any person who has never been to China, and he will have a very different view from someone who had been there or done busines or lived there.

An American CEO of note arrived in

Shanghai circa 2005 to suss out what the hype was about. After a day he said: if this people are communist, then I am Karl Marx.

ask any person who has never been to China, and he will have a very different view from someone who had been there or done busines or lived there.

Been there, done that, got the Tshirt. To describe China as communistin economic terms is a very big misnomer. It might be a single party state, and the party iis called the Communist Party. And there the comparisons stop.

• Like 1

but General Motors and Chrysler are government owned.

I now have in Hong Kong elderly Landrover Freelander V6 and BMW 3 AC Schnitzer with Super Charger a Porsche eater !!!!!!.. mentioned to show the range of cars I have used to validate my comments ..

Are you trying to tell us just how wealthy you are or are you trying to make a statement.

Neither It was to validate my credentials such as they are .. your selective editing missed out the 200 quid Proton to suit your biased comment for the record the BMW is 9 years old very low mileage and cost me 9000 .00 quid and the Freelander 6 years old, low mileage and cost 6000.00 quid Purchased in Hong Kong the best place I have ever found for second hand cars . I never waste my cash ... how about you how much cash to you splash out on your car bet its more than mine ...... I challenge you to reply .. with the truth

The largest electric tool shop here, has a large section for Chinese made tools, and a large section for the same tools made elsewhere (which the Chinese copy). Guess which section is half the price than the other. In China, a good copier is a respected member of the community. Trouble is, when Chinese copy things mechanical, they always try to skimp on materials. If they think they can get away with using a 3mm piece of metal instead of a 5mm (used on the original) and it looks the same, they'll do it. Same for quality of metal. If it's 2 satang cheaper to use an inferior strength of metal, that's what they'll use.

What's next? ......buy a few more Ukrainian Soviet era aircraft carrier hulls, spiff 'em up with some guns and a coat of paint, and sell them to some little countries like Thailand.

Let's hope this is as good as it sounds. Time will tell.

I noticed the part about Thailand being the top auto producer in south east Asia and in the top ten world wide. That might have something to do with protectionist taxes that mean manufacturers have have factories here.

I was traveling on a road in China near the Laos border. I passed by a large caravan of cars on some kind of rally headed to Laos, as they all had signs on them. It was about a hundred vehicles. The cars were a mix, from regular cars to small SUVs. What I found interesting was.........there was not a single Chinese branded car. So I guess that would be a statement of what Chinese people think about Chinese cars ????

first of all why chinese cars are not sold in europe? becuse they are all copies and no chance to get aprovement also for security,

and this problem will also be in Thailand, if they produce a car simalar to a western car. Also no car produced in thailand ever can be exported out of asia,

because od customs, they would have to pay same customs like for import western cars, so if Myanmar and Lao start to get interested in their own car industry or make a customs tax for car import than in thailand they will close many factorys, USA or EU will not accept any customs or importtaxs for goods after 2015,

and if thailand will keep going on, the will be punished. Thailand want to export to EU and EU is important for thailand, but thailand is not importand for EU

I was traveling on a road in China near the Laos border. I passed by a large caravan of cars on some kind of rally headed to Laos, as they all had signs on them. It was about a hundred vehicles. The cars were a mix, from regular cars to small SUVs. What I found interesting was.........there was not a single Chinese branded car. So I guess that would be a statement of what Chinese people think about Chinese cars ????

nice try, but it is not like that Chinese cars are banned in China like coca cola is banned in new york. Edited by ZhouZhou

first of all why chinese cars are not sold in europe? becuse they are all copies and no chance to get aprovement also for security,

and this problem will also be in Thailand, if they produce a car simalar to a western car. Also no car produced in thailand ever can be exported out of asia,

because od customs, they would have to pay same customs like for import western cars, so if Myanmar and Lao start to get interested in their own car industry or make a customs tax for car import than in thailand they will close many factorys, USA or EU will not accept any customs or importtaxs for goods after 2015,

and if thailand will keep going on, the will be punished. Thailand want to export to EU and EU is important for thailand, but thailand is not importand for EU

Also no car produced in thailand ever can be exported out of asia,

Where on earth did you hear this nonsense?

Does anyone find it odd that China, once the cheapest place on the planet to setup manufacturing facilities is now investing in a neighboring country to build a auto manufacturing plant? Truly odd IMO.

Not really, they are following the same industrial revolutions and patterns that Western economies followed during the past 200 years but they are doing it in a much quicker manner.

The Chinese have invested over $9 Billion in Cambodia in the last 18 years. Quite staggering figures. With another $11 Billion to follow possibly. Not even mentioning their investments in Africa and elsewhere.

As we Westerners moved our industries to Asian countries to improve profit margins, now they are moving their industries to cheaper areas.

The sun is quickly setting on the once-powerful Western economies and is rising in the East.

I think this is a misnomer to some degree. I don't think for a minute the Chinese are opening factories around the world for any other reason than to open up those markets. Many of these factories are not manufacturing plants, with huge workforces needed, but knock-up shops that assemble ready made kits. This takes a smaller, less skilled crew. The real crew is back in China where the materials are cheap and the workforce cheap and pliable.

The car is now "said" to be made in that country and therefore occupies that country's export/import quota (into Europe/USA/etc).

Well well, here we go again...Chinese quality. To understand the word "quality" in China, you should first understand Chinese business thinking and laws which are relevant to all business except business with government offices. Comparing Japan, Korea and China might be a little bit simplified thinking without understanding details behind(apple is sometimes orange anyway). And this is valid also in automobile business for sure.

Almost 10 years experience in China and countless discussions about quality of cars with foreigners and locals, I would say that progress have happened. Am I happy about quality today(no way), service(someone must like pain if say so or pockets full of money, remember world is definately different when you have something to show), cheap(yep, suuuure, until it breaks again). So other words, you just need to get used to it, it brakes, you wait, you pay, it brakes, you wait, you wait, you pay...)

And now someone says, oh yeah, one more farang complaining perfect quality, good service and excellent availability. Hmmm, why everyone of these locals complain, complain, complain every week about quality of their local cars, some of them needed to return brand new Chery's during the same day. They don't trust local brands and therefore all foreign models are really popular here. And yes, of course they buy also local brand, sure, for many reasons, like price, personal interest etc. but it does not move away THE basic thing behind...quality thinking. Just watch local CCTV & BTV and central government guys repeating word quality...they know all the problems this nation is creating by themselves from top to down because of two words....money and NOW! They try all kind of tricks to drive local businesses towards to this goal, but how to do it the other thing...How long it took in the case of Japan/Korea? I would assume that time needed in the case of China will be 3-4 times longer and they know it and surprisingly not even hide it, if you follow discussions.

By the way, how about comparing Chinese cars and Russian Lada? Did it fly, big success? World dominance? Yep, I though so...

And please, don't even ask about quality of buildings, you don't want to know....

One thing the Chinese aren't good at is brand creation. This probably applies elsewhere in the region as well. That's why the Chinese like buying into western brands. If you look at all the fake goods on sale they are mostly well known western brands. There are also some from Japan and I suspect Australia as well. I believe the Honda Wave has some Chinese copies being made. I don't know about quality but I would think that it's improving.

I now have in Hong Kong elderly Landrover Freelander V6 and BMW 3 AC Schnitzer with Super Charger a Porsche eater !!!!!!.. mentioned to show the range of cars I have used to validate my comments ..

Are you trying to tell us just how wealthy you are or are you trying to make a statement.

Neither It was to validate my credentials such as they are .. your selective editing missed out the 200 quid Proton to suit your biased comment for the record the BMW is 9 years old very low mileage and cost me 9000 .00 quid and the Freelander 6 years old, low mileage and cost 6000.00 quid Purchased in Hong Kong the best place I have ever found for second hand cars . I never waste my cash ... how about you how much cash to you splash out on your car bet its more than mine ...... I challenge you to reply .. with the truth

You are absolutely correct, Hong Kong is a fantastic place to buy pristine used premium cars. I owned 911 Porsches, Merecedes and other vehicles in HK that I would not buy in Thailand because of the prohibititive prices and lack of range.

One thing the Chinese aren't good at is brand creation. This probably applies elsewhere in the region as well. That's why the Chinese like buying into western brands. If you look at all the fake goods on sale they are mostly well known western brands. There are also some from Japan and I suspect Australia as well. I believe the Honda Wave has some Chinese copies being made. I don't know about quality but I would think that it's improving.

those wave's are called ryuka ahead , not the best bike's ever but ok , the headlight keeps burning out after 2 months but engine wise now after 3 years no troubles only thing i had to change were the bearings of the back wheel and chain / gear wheels

nice thing is its a good wave copy so all the parts you need to change can buy from honda

Edited by retell

first part is right. second part is nonsense.

who was the last 60 years involved in wars around the planet and invested every new decade more and more money in wars?

not china, not japan, not germany.

Correct and most countries while they evolve economically eventually follow the same model as the US including China.

i doubt. cannot compare China with Nazi Germany, the USA or the Roman Empire. different concept of nation building and mentality. China is an ever glowing star and not just some bright comet with a dated shelve life, burned out soon. like the roman empire didn't lasted that long or my other examples.

it is more likely that they would start to claim ip rights for noodles, toilet paper and oil wells and a few other things.

those wave's are called ryuka ahead , not the best bike's ever but ok , the headlight keeps burning out after 2 months but engine wise now after 3 years no troubles only thing i had to change were the bearings of the back wheel and chain / gear wheels

nice thing is its a good wave copy so all the parts you need to change can buy from honda

That's interesting. I'm sure I've seen that name here. I sometimes go to a local motorcycle dealership here in Mahasarakham where I know the owner through my gf. He does Honda and Yamaha but he's Chinese himself and he's always had a few Chines bikes, in particular ones that I would call chopper style. Today I noticed he's got a lot more bikes and I'm sure that's the name on some of them. I'll try to remember to look tomorrow.

That's interesting. I'm sure I've seen that name here. I sometimes go to a local motorcycle dealership here in Mahasarakham where I know the owner through my gf. He does Honda and Yamaha but he's Chinese himself and he's always had a few Chines bikes, in particular ones that I would call chopper style. Today I noticed he's got a lot more bikes and I'm sure that's the name on some of them. I'll try to remember to look tomorrow.

sure those 69000 thb big bikes are awesome too bad only 450cc

first part is right. second part is nonsense.

who was the last 60 years involved in wars around the planet and invested every new decade more and more money in wars?

not china, not japan, not germany.

Correct and most countries while they evolve economically eventually follow the same model as the US including China.

i doubt. cannot compare China with Nazi Germany, the USA or the Roman Empire. different concept of nation building and mentality. China is an ever glowing star and not just some bright comet with a dated shelve life, burned out soon. like the roman empire didn't lasted that long or my other examples.

it is more likely that they would start to claim ip rights for noodles, toilet paper and oil wells and a few other things.

"China is an ever glowing star and not just some bright comet with a dated shelve life, burned out soon. like the roman empire didn't lasted that long or my other examples."

Did you read that baloney in a little red book? China in modern terms isn't feudal China of the past - it is not a 10,000 year old country other than geographically its had people living there (so has most countries by the way).

China is an never-ending balancing act of internally struggling powers - each trying to get the biggest bit of the pie and push to the top - these "powers" (families) are kept In check with carefully playing one against the other, giving un-repayable loans and other benefits (i.er. bribes) - as China gets wealthier, and the prizes greater, the struggling increases and needs greater hand outs to keep it from boiling over. China, unless some serious internal mechanics change over the next decade, will implode - I can see a China in 2050 being more reminiscent of the USSR break up and CIS today (albeit with some parts being wealthier perhaps). The Chinese people are a suppressed peoples, they are kept in check by both belief and fear, when the powerful sections start to fight, the lid will come off - the powder keg of 2+ billion souls will show just how bright it can burn.

Rome lasted as an Empire a long time as far as empires go - Nazi Germany was never an empire, just a government style change and in that fact more resembles modern China (ancient country radically changing politics and forcing/brain washing its people into belief - in effect making a new nation from an old one - 3rd Reich - Maoist regime).I am not comparing the styles of government, merely the radical change of political and social structure and belief.

They also can not claim rights to any early discoveries - just as no other nation can with similar inventions of antiquity.