Chinese Cars In Thailand?

I just read Thailand news here in TV: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/628895-chinese-automobile-giant-to-invest-9bn-baht-in-thailand/

And besides that it looks that they will start making Chinese cars here some members mention that they already have a Chinese car?

One writes that he saved app. 300K bath compared with the "equal" Jazz/Viros sisters and he has been very happy with the car?

I am surprised that this haven't been mentioned in motor forum before or maybe I overlooked it?

I did see an odd looking SUV the other day & also a brand I never heard of before.

It has, Chery is just one example there are several others at least one truck manufacturer of which I can't recall the name. He'll probably give back that 300k savings if he has an accident though and it may be in medical expenses but hopefully not for his sake and his family's..

Edited by WarpSpeed

It has, Chery is just one example there are several others at least one truck manufacturer of which I can't recall the name.

Isn't Cherry a JV with Ford, at least in Thailand ?

And isn't Cherry banned in most European countries ?

Cherry and a few other chinese brands have tried to enter the us market for years but can never meet the crash tests required by the gov, granted the standards are high but come on we are talking peoples lives here for a little extra engineering and cost. I would never buy one no matter how much money I saved.

Cherry and a few other chinese brands have tried to enter the us market for years but can never meet the crash tests required by the gov, granted the standards are high but come on we are talking peoples lives here for a little extra engineering and cost. I would never buy one no matter how much money I saved.

If the pricing offers an entry level to get people off of scooters and into a 4 wheel vehicle with seat belts, doors and roofs, it really doesn't matter whether they meet EU or USA crash test criteria.

Lives will be saved. Not as many as would be saved with proper design ($$$), but any car made today is safer for riders than a scooter.

Traffic congestion is another story altogether. So is the frequency and total cost of repairs.

I probably wouldn't buy one, but for me to deny others the opportunity would be kind of an "I'm all right Jack, I got my Japanese vehicle"

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

If the pricing offers an entry level to get people off of scooters and into a 4 wheel vehicle with seat belts, doors and roofs, it really doesn't matter whether they meet EU or USA crash test criteria.

When I read your comment I get the feeling that you live too long in Thailand and are a bit too comfortable to bend rules.

Do you also consider the traffic lights to have a red light and a litlle bit red light?

When I read your comment I get the feeling that you live too long in Thailand and are a bit too comfortable to bend rules.

Do you also consider the traffic lights to have a red light and a litlle bit red light?

Someone more famous than me said "Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools". So in your analogy a red light is a red light but if the street is deserted and their is no traffic. When in Rome do what the Romans do.

Maybe I am a little older and am more well travelled but I just relax and go with the flow whilst paying attention.

• Like 1

Even the Chery A113 just over 400k brand new has airbags and ABS as stranded fittings, even a 2 year old one has them, for less the 250,000 baht.!!

A friend has a Chery Tiggo [looks like a Mk 2 Rav4] 2 years on still very happy with it. fully kitted out + a lot cheaper than others.......

Some people have this funny notion about cars..... Chinese No way, Malaysian No way, Suzuki No way, Korean No way.......... bet they all drive a drab dull Toyota or Honda, and never seen, sat in or tested other makes....... some of these odd makes to some have been here for over 20 years and still going well, some far better than the same year Toyota..

I believe the Chinese are building a new car plant here in Thailand, so maybe more options by 2015 Launch date.. maybe will be just what Toyota need, something better looking and far cheaper.... called competition

He-He, well said.

Thais are starting to buy something else now, they realize (slowly) that other brands are solid/nice driving as well, Toyota, Isuzu and Honda are something that have been drilled into the heads of the Thais that those are the best, the rest are crap (we are talking main stream vehicles here). Nothing could be more wrong there are loads of very good car brands out there and I am pretty sure some of the Chinese are good as well.

I once owned a 2hand Lada car in Denmark and it was a tractor to drive but rock solid, it got you from A to B without any hassle and during app. 3 years ownership it never let me down. My friends was taking the piss on me for driving such a "lousy" car but I told them that the price was much less than their 1st payment on their cars and that they would have to pay the bank each month for the next 5 years or so, after that they never mentioned it again, LOL.

I should mention that I always had a nice motor bike in the garage for the summer days.

Yes year 2015 sounds interesting car wise here in Thailand.

Even the Chery A113 just over 400k brand new has airbags and ABS as stranded fittings, even a 2 year old one has them, for less the 250,000 baht.!!

A friend has a Chery Tiggo [looks like a Mk 2 Rav4] 2 years on still very happy with it. fully kitted out + a lot cheaper than others.......

Some people have this funny notion about cars..... Chinese No way, Malaysian No way, Suzuki No way, Korean No way.......... bet they all drive a drab dull Toyota or Honda, and never seen, sat in or tested other makes....... some of these odd makes to some have been here for over 20 years and still going well, some far better than the same year Toyota..

I believe the Chinese are building a new car plant here in Thailand, so maybe more options by 2015 Launch date.. maybe will be just what Toyota need, something better looking and far cheaper.... called competition

I have no doubts the Chinese cars are at least as good as Toyota or Nissan or alike and it is unjustified that they are not allowed in civilised countries.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/628895-chinese-automobile-giant-to-invest-9bn-baht-in-thailand/?p=6244853

Obviously you never tried driving a car made in china,

I tried to drive something called a chery from chongching to yunnan, I must say that the highways were quite good...not full of potholes, After we had 2 incidents of wheels flying off we just ditched it and left it for dead.

Did I say One <deleted>*&ing thing to compare chinese quality to jap cars ???? Its a fact these cars are unsafe in crash safety tests in the us canada australia uk europe etc. Do you think that airbag will save you when the door panel crushes in on you or the motor comes into your lap or the roof panel caves in ??? Go ahead buy one but when you or a family member dies in a crash dont come on tv crying about it. There is a reason they are cheaper than other cars be they Japanese, euro or american and its not labor costs.

Actually in low speed crash testing they've been known to fold completely in half.. Not something any air bag is gonna do much to save you from more likely it'll deploy and suffocate you from additional pressure...

It has, Chery is just one example there are several others at least one truck manufacturer of which I can't recall the name.

It may be, they are sold in conjunction with Ford dealerships there..Not sure if that's a dealership network thing or includes JV with manufacture too.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Actually in low speed crash testing they've been known to fold completely in half..

Some Thai drivers can do that with Thai built cars

Well that is a special talent they seem to have but it's not official crash testing specifications whistling.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Of corse it is. In Europe, specially in Germany annd Switzerland is no corruption in the ministery of transportation,like MFK or TUV. Chinese cars never passes our safety- and emission requirements.