Is It Possible To Enjoy Driving In Los?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Thai I learned how to handle an 1100cc bike without having a license, haha.

Pfffttt...big deal.

Every day here in Phuket I see guys driving massive, fully loaded cement mixers, at break neck speeds, on roads crammed with traffic.

Most of those morons don't have licences either...

I don't know, I kind of enjoy driving in Thailand.

Me too.

Me three.

I drive about 1,000 km a week here in Saudi and it shatters your nerves until you eventually become numb to it. Yes you have to have your witts about you but driving in Thailand is a doddle in comparison.

If you are a skilled driver you can certainly enjoy driving here after you adapt to it. If it still stresses you then you probably never were a natural driver to begin with. Every day presents abject stupidity and suicidal tactics beneath the dignity of the brain dead, adjust or just don't do it and avoid the stress. If I wasn't a good driver/rider I would have been dead long ago, you have to avoid the drunks, idiots and incompetents and still remain relaxed. OK a complete imbecile will still sometimes aggravate me, but that is the daily reality that you need adjust to. Nothing is ever going to change, so decide whether it is for you.

My post wasn't to debate my, or anyone else's "skill level", or whether I or anyone else is a "natural" driver, whatever that is. I have driven thousands of miles in a few different countries without feeling that if I took my eyes off the road for an instant I'd kill someone, or be killed. I have also driven many long distance ( 7 hours plus ) journies at night without feeling stressed in the least.

My post was to ascertain if it is possible to enjoy driving in LOS, and so far, judging by the responses, it is in a certain part of the north, but not anywhere else in LOS.

My personal experience since starting to drive here recently, is that it is not an enjoyable experience as I have had in other countries, and if possible, I'll be taking the bus in future.

So far, I've not had a bad experience in one of the long distance government buses, and have had many many bus trips here over the years. Perhaps ironically, I enjoy the buses here far more than those at "home".

I don't know, I kind of enjoy driving in Thailand.

Me too.

Me three.

I drive about 1,000 km a week here in Saudi and it shatters your nerves until you eventually become numb to it. Yes you have to have your witts about you but driving in Thailand is a doddle in comparison.

Right on. Thailand is a breeze compared to many other countries, but more difficult than many others also.

My post was to ascertain if it is possible to enjoy driving in LOS, and so far, judging by the responses, it is in a certain part of the north, but not anywhere else in LOS.

-

For me a couple of interesting relevant points have come out of this thread.

Obviously the roads are very dangerous and "laws" mostly observed by their absence, which we already knew. Some people do enjoy this situation - just as some enjoy bungee jumping and flying ultralights, presumably also in Thailand - and consider it a good thing.

There is a consensus that driving here requires a much higher level of attention, even vigilance, and the constant practice of proactive defensive driving techniques.

Many people find the need for this overly stressful and tiring, but IMO perhaps the relative ease of conditions back home tend to lull us into complacency and there we relax too much, and in fact piloting a couple tonnes of steel at speed should take that level of attention even in safer conditions.

However of course you (and others) would rather be able to relax and enjoy themselves on long journeys, and doing so here is, if not impossible, certainly not a good idea.

-

I'll be taking the bus in future. So far, I've not had a bad experience in one of the long distance government buses, and have had many many bus trips here over the years. Perhaps ironically, I enjoy the buses here far more than those at "home".

-

While this is certainly more relaxing and thus enjoyable, you are then putting your life and that of your family in the hands of others, perhaps less vigilant, sober and competent a driver than yourself.

It is true that accidents of vans and buses are generally speaking statistically rare, here they are unfortunately much much more frequent than any of our "back homes".

Something to think about.

-

For me a couple of interesting relevant points have come out of this thread.

Obviously the roads are very dangerous and "laws" mostly observed by their absence, which we already knew. Some people do enjoy this situation - just as some enjoy bungee jumping and flying ultralights, presumably also in Thailand - and consider it a good thing.

There is a consensus that driving here requires a much higher level of attention, even vigilance, and the constant practice of proactive defensive driving techniques.

Many people find the need for this overly stressful and tiring, but IMO perhaps the relative ease of conditions back home tend to lull us into complacency and there we relax too much, and in fact piloting a couple tonnes of steel at speed should take that level of attention even in safer conditions.

However of course you (and others) would rather be able to relax and enjoy themselves on long journeys, and doing so here is, if not impossible, certainly not a good idea.

-

>I'll be taking the bus in future. So far, I've not had a bad experience in one of the long distance government buses, and have had many many bus trips here over the years. Perhaps ironically, I enjoy the buses here far more than those at "home".

-

While this is certainly more relaxing and thus enjoyable, you are then putting your life and that of your family in the hands of others, perhaps less vigilant, sober and competent a driver than yourself.

It is true that accidents of vans and buses are generally speaking statistically rare, here they are unfortunately much much more frequent than any of our "back homes".

Something to think about.

While I know that bus accidents do happen, they are usually private tour buses with only one driver, while the government buses I use have 2 drivers.

Just the size of a bus makes it safer in the even of an accident, with the passenger compartment above car height.

Having travelled thousands of miles in LOS on the buses with only one small and injury less incident, I feel that between a bus and driving a car, I am far safer in a bus.

I also enjoy the whole "romance of travel" thing on public transport, while car driving here in my experience is just a chore.

I used to spend hours chatting on long car trips, but in LOS it's just a continuous series of curses at the last moron that tried to die under my wheels, or kill me in a head on collision on a blind bend.

An interesting article:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/629154-is-it-possible-to-enjoy-driving-in-los/page-4

GUILDFORD, ENGLAND, 1 April 2013: Travellers planning a car holiday in the UK should take note of the latest research that shows UK commuters are behaving badly behind the wheel, with 65% admitting to their own bad driving behaviours over the last year.

Rushed and stressed commuters don’t feel guilty about driving dangerously or being distracted on the road as they race to get to the office on time, according to new research from car insurance provider Allianz Your Cover (www.yourcoverinsurance.co.uk). In fact, a fifth (21%) blames their poor habits on other commuters

The top five bad commuter behaviours are:

1. Speeding (30%)

2. Careless driving (14%)

3. Travelling too fast for the conditions (14%)

4. Tailgating (13%)

5. Not looking when changing lanes (13%)

Continued...

An interesting article:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/629154-is-it-possible-to-enjoy-driving-in-los/page-4

GUILDFORD, ENGLAND, 1 April 2013: Travellers planning a car holiday in the UK should take note of the latest research that shows UK commuters are behaving badly behind the wheel, with 65% admitting to their own bad driving behaviours over the last year.

Rushed and stressed commuters don’t feel guilty about driving dangerously or being distracted on the road as they race to get to the office on time, according to new research from car insurance provider Allianz Your Cover (www.yourcoverinsurance.co.uk). In fact, a fifth (21%) blames their poor habits on other commuters

1. Speeding (30%)

4. Tailgating (13%)

Continued...

Tailgating would have to be up in first place here. Never seen such bad examples at high speed, before driving in LOS.

I enjoy driving in the provinces. Just treat it like a sport rally and stay alert. That said, I do hate city driving.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

An interesting article:

1. Speeding (30%)

4. Tailgating (13%)

Continued...

It's all to do with knowing what is and isn't dangerous. Those people polled accept that they are sometimes driving dangerously. In Thailand and here in Saudi, they wouldn't agree that they are driving dangerously.

Over here, everyone is Sheikh Schumacher and the carnage on the roads are purely chicanes for them to swerve around. I went back to the UK earlier this year and everyone was driving in straight lines and indicating when they were manouvering etc. It was boring. Indicating over here is a sign of weakness and a sign for someone to cut you off. biggrin.png

• Like 1

An interesting article:

1. Speeding (30%)

4. Tailgating (13%)

Continued...

It's all to do with knowing what is and isn't dangerous. Those people polled accept that they are sometimes driving dangerously. In Thailand and here in Saudi, they wouldn't agree that they are driving dangerously.

Over here, everyone is Sheikh Schumacher and the carnage on the roads are purely chicanes for them to swerve around. I went back to the UK earlier this year and everyone was driving in straight lines and indicating when they were manouvering etc. It was boring. Indicating over here is a sign of weakness and a sign for someone to cut you off. biggrin.png

If I may be off topic, I always found it "interesting" when after the first rain in Riyadh the railings on corners started to aquire holes where Saudi drivers were going through them. They didn't seem to realise that rain made the roads slippery. After a few years, they stopped replacing the railings!

The women I worked with constantly told me I was privileged because I was allowed to drive and they were not. I always retorted that nothing on earth would pursuade me to drive there.

Of course it's possible to enjoy driving in Thailand, as long as you are not too old to adapt to different driving conditions.

ThaiVisa members may struggle.

Seems you have a problem with folks age. Obviously you are still a teen. If you want advice on how us older guys tick, just ask. coffee1.gif

Good collection of replies, Thanks.

Perhaps those that do enjoy driving here can let us know where I can obtain that happy state of mind on the roads.

Well .... be nice, give way a lot and if you see a gap and you want to go, then go without hesitation. Never assume anything, oh and get good A/C and in car sound system. Works for me anyway!!

Of course it's possible to enjoy driving in Thailand, as long as you are not too old to adapt to different driving conditions.

ThaiVisa members may struggle.

Seems you have a problem with folks age. Obviously you are still a teen. If you want advice on how us older guys tick, just ask. :coffee1:

Nope, I'm 57 but been here since I was 35, so like I say, it's easier to adapt when you are younger.

Let's keep it civil and on topic.

I do a lot of driving, and at least 4 times a week I go through 3 different provinces. I hate driving in Thailand, but I begrudgingly admit that it's quite interesting to see life outside the city.

There's an old guy who fed a bunch of puppies just off the road each day--saw the puppies grow up and now gone (no dead ones on the road amazingly). Then there is the lady waiting along the road almost everyday for her ride to work (wearing a uniform). It's kind of consistent and comfortable. The nuts on the road and the oversized vehicles with oversized loads are quite scary.

I also see some really bad accidents.