Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

Pictures from Post 342

Crowds of tourist from bus going through the heavy construction
area to the boats (to Islands).

Earth moving equuipment.

Two tourist near the new road bed.

The plank used to walk over trouble areas.

Edited by threelegcowboy

yes the brick work is very nice and they are taking time to ensure it is laid correctly...looks great,and when it is finshed lots of room for people to walk....in both directions!!!!

I have made some negative comments about re-doing the Beach Rd promenade (such as getting rid of the shade trees--little shade with the new tall palm trees, never maintaining the other prominage, and the adding another lane when there are already three lanes (one used for parking, motor bike rentals, and food vendors...) but after walking on some of the new sections there are a couple positive things: 1) Yes, the herring bone brick walkway seems to be done on concrete which will keep the brick from sinking 2) there seems to be run off so when it rains, the water will not stay between the sidewalk curbing as it did before 3) though the area /width of the promenade is not as wide, the walking space is more which will enable joggers to run without acting they are on a narrow obstacle course. (Let's hope the chair and food vendorws don't set up camp on the promenade and make it ugly again..) But unfortunately there is no shade during the day and no benches to sit. BYOB - Bring Your own bench.

I have made some negative comments about re-doing the Beach Rd promenade (such as getting rid of the shade trees--little shade with the new tall palm trees, never maintaining the other prominage, and the adding another lane when there are already three lanes (one used for parking, motor bike rentals, and food vendors...) but after walking on some of the new sections there are a couple positive things: 1) Yes, the herring bone brick walkway seems to be done on concrete which will keep the brick from sinking 2) there seems to be run off so when it rains, the water will not stay between the sidewalk curbing as it did before 3) though the area /width of the promenade is not as wide, the walking space is more which will enable joggers to run without acting they are on a narrow obstacle course. (Let's hope the chair and food vendorws don't set up camp on the promenade and make it ugly again..) But unfortunately there is no shade during the day and no benches to sit. BYOB - Bring Your own bench.

With regard to shade, it is tragic what the City has done to remove "shade" over the past 20 years. Most people do not remember how the beach was back then (also Jomtien Beach). It was full of shade due to the large, old-growth umbrella trees that were all over. It also had those "pine-like" trees up and down the beach. Finding shade was never a problem. Those old-growth trees, now gone, provided much-needed shade, helped prevent beach erosion, absorbed CO2 and gave off oxygen, among other things. Cutting them down was, at the very least, stupid.

• Like 1

With regard to shade, it is tragic what the City has done to remove "shade" over the past 20 years. Most people do not remember how the beach was back then (also Jomtien Beach). It was full of shade due to the large, old-growth umbrella trees that were all over. It also had those "pine-like" trees up and down the beach. Finding shade was never a problem. Those old-growth trees, now gone, provided much-needed shade, helped prevent beach erosion, absorbed CO2 and gave off oxygen, among other things. Cutting them down was, at the very least, stupid.

"Cutting them down was, at the very least, stupid."

What dp you expect, we are talking about Thailand!

• Like 1

As the construction moves down the beach a tsunami has been generated. Mice/rats, tourist, police, tourist police, street sweepers, bums, joggers, ghost, vendors, thieves, dogs, charity collectors, beggars, little red massage Ladies, old geezers, jet ski scamers, ladies, hookers, lady boys, gents, bikers, members of the United Nations, Thai gnomes, and Thais are mostly going down the beach in a wave. Lets hope the construction crews keep up the pace or this could get ugly.

you forgot the Pattaya OutDoor Chess Club, forced to move down to the Soi 6 area in a quest to find shade after the tree massacre, now part of the exodus south Edited by wwex

I came, I saw, I scoffed.

On a long delayed return visit to Pattaya, I made a special trip up to see the works.

I actually like the new "improved" version, as it has a contoured surface that will allow drainage of rainwater instead of the pools that we get on the old walkway.

BUT, I am concerned that there are no benches to sit on. If the plan is for moveable benches to be put in after, BIG MISTAKE! If the plan is for no benches- that is plain stupidity.

I have to laugh at the idiotic beach retaining scheme of big sandbags- that'll last about 5 minutes.

Anyway, the whole plan is rubbish. The area is wide enough to make a two way road to get rid of the pestilential one way system, AND provide parking ( as in Jomptien ), AND still have enough width for a perfectly good wide walkway, WITH benches. Even where the area narrows past Central Rd, the beach could be reclaimed further to allow it.

IMO an opportunity lost to incompetence and lack of vision.

BTW, the works are down as far as the Hard Rock Hotel. Unfortunately, they haven't completed any part of the new walkway, so it's all just a huge mess.

It will be interesting to see if they can save the dolphin fountain.

The "shrine" is still there.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

BUT, I am concerned that there are no benches to sit on. If the plan is for moveable benches to be put in after, BIG MISTAKE! If the plan is for no benches- that is plain stupidity.

I had a look at the drawings up near Walking St and it does look like they plan to put benches in, but didnt seem to be any planed for the Northern end for unknown reasons.

My early observations were wrong about drainage and the walkway.
Now I see that the foot path will have good drainage and maybe no steps.

The footpath seems to be mostly a wide straight shot. Overall very attractive with three color brick(dark blue, light blue, grey) in a sweeping pattern.

My best guess is near completion to Central/Klang Rd by Aug 1. Near complition equates to usable with small drainage jobs going on.

My early observations were wrong about drainage and the walkway.

Now I see that the foot path will have good drainage and maybe no steps.

The footpath seems to be mostly a wide straight shot. Overall very attractive with three color brick(dark blue, light blue, grey) in a sweeping pattern.

My best guess is near completion to Central/Klang Rd by Aug 1. Near complition equates to usable with small drainage jobs going on.

If you go to the parking lot near the police station on Berach Road (not sure about the name....maybe Dongtong Beach parking lot) you can see colored bricks and what they will look like within a very short time. If they do not maintain the pathway, it will not remain attractive, and history suggests that they will not do anything to keep the area attractive. No shade and no benches.....what a mistake! Maybe they will put benches in later, but nobody wants to sit in the hot sun.

No benches planned on the new beach road.... That makes sense, doesn't it?

You are supposed to sit dow in a bar or a coffee shop if you are tired, having a 90 - Baht Latte Macciato, not sitting on a free bench sipping your chaep seven/eleven drink.

And for the ladies... Oh well, a bench - less beach will make it less comfortable to hang around there.

No benches planned on the new beach road.... That makes sense, doesn't it?

You are supposed to sit dow in a bar or a coffee shop if you are tired, having a 90 - Baht Latte Macciato, not sitting on a free bench sipping your chaep seven/eleven drink.

And for the ladies... Oh well, a bench - less beach will make it less comfortable to hang around there.

The City will have rental benches available.

Just like on the beach. Tourists need to pay if they want to sit.

I had a look at the drawings up near Walking St and it does look like they plan to put benches in, but didnt seem to be any planed for the Northern end for unknown reasons.

no hookers at the north end so they don't need them

no hookers at the north end so they don't need them

Not sure if you are being satirical or not, but I'd certainly like to be able to sit down for a while, or is it a devious plan to make people use the deck chairs.

As I was travelling along Beach Rd tonight, I saw them rearranging the sand with a JCB,

BTW, the big sandbags I referred to previously are supposed to have concrete in them, but some don't and have already spilled their contents, leaving unsightly gaps. However, as the whole thing is unbelievably ugly, probably doesn't matter.

Hard to believe that anyone could come up with a worse solution to beach erosion.

Doesn't it make perfect sense for the authorities to have NO benches on the promenade? It only attracts "riffraff" to hang around there, drinking cheap Changs from the 7/11 store.

They want the Farangs to sit down in bars or on the deck chairs. And the working girls... not really wanted so visibly.

OOPS- As the construction is quickly adding a new lane and curbing, it looks like they did not put in drainage pipes or drain openings along the curbing. I looked out this morning after the heavy rain (6am) and it looks like water was trapped from the new curbing. No wonder they can do it so fast- no thought about the water run off.

OOPS- As the construction is quickly adding a new lane and curbing, it looks like they did not put in drainage pipes or drain openings along the curbing. I looked out this morning after the heavy rain (6am) and it looks like water was trapped from the new curbing. No wonder they can do it so fast- no thought about the water run off.

Look again. The whole length of the curb has a drain, covered with metal grating. Whenever they come to a pipe leading into the big drain under the road, they are extending that to the new curb.

What is it about works here that they can never complete one section before wreaking destruction further on.

It was the same on the Bang Na to Chonburi elevated expressway- multiple areas being worked on far apart at the same time making a far bigger mess than was necessary.

If the new lane is being used for vehicle parking and the inside lane reverts to being used to park motorcycle rentals, then nothing has been gained in terms of easing traffic flow.

Very few tourists will have cars to park, so the main ones to benefit will be the Thai 'day and weekend' trippers from Bangkok.

Maybe that's the plan....