Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

Some more images from the end of Beach Rd near the Mantra, the new palms can be seen here.

attachicon.gifBeach_road-10011.jpg attachicon.gifBeach_road-10012.jpg

The old sea wall

attachicon.gifBeach_road-10013.jpg

The new palms.

attachicon.gifBeach_road-10014.jpg attachicon.gifBeach_road-10015.jpg

Where is the promenade ?? If you are in a wheelchair are you just shit-out-of-luck ?

I guess the wheelchairs could use the new road lane....As the say safety-first....

Edited by fforest1

Thanks for the great pictures Chang_paarp smile.png

Did anyone else notice the poor guy in the first set hauling his wife up the side of the trench w00t.gif

He must be a power lifter.laugh.png

I was too slow to get her pushing him up the mound. It would have given another sense of scale.

Some more images from the end of Beach Rd near the Mantra, the new palms can be seen here.

attachicon.gifBeach_road-10011.jpg attachicon.gifBeach_road-10012.jpg

The old sea wall

attachicon.gifBeach_road-10013.jpg

The new palms.

attachicon.gifBeach_road-10014.jpg attachicon.gifBeach_road-10015.jpg

Where is the promenade ?? If you are in a wheelchair are you just shit-out-of-luck ?

I guess the wheelchairs could use the new road lane....As the say safety-first....

Exactly the question I wanted to ask... where is the promenade???

Pictures from today show the first landscape area at far north end which is very narrow. The concrete has been laid for the walkway and bricks have been delivered to site to be overlaid. The concrete rectangle bricks are all grey or all marine blue painted (same as Walking Street was?)

Note the location of palm trees that do not allow for a straight sidewalk at this location.

I did not get the feeling that there will be proper drainage of the sidewalk and will have pools of standing water after rain.

post-11376-0-92015200-1367143855_thumb.j

post-11376-0-10909900-1367143925_thumb.j

post-11376-0-62307300-1367143965_thumb.j

Pictures from today show the first landscape area at far north end which is very narrow. The concrete has been laid for the walkway and bricks have been delivered to site to be overlaid. The concrete rectangle bricks are all grey or all marine blue painted (same as Walking Street was?)

Note the location of palm trees that do not allow for a straight sidewalk at this location.

I did not get the feeling that there will be proper drainage of the sidewalk and will have pools of standing water after rain.

Thanks a lot for the pictures!! I'm following this thread because I'm planning on coming to Pattaya with my mother later this summer, and she's in a wheelchair... Without the promenade along the beach, I can't see any point in going to Pattaya, we might as well go elsewheresad.png .

The North end should have some completion in a few days. The other 80% has not been destroyed yet. So lots of room for fun. Dont let this stop your plans, they could not possibly disrupt the whole beach.

LLL

Are you sure? They have already removed a large number of trees down as far as Central Pattaya in preparation.

Thanks a lot for the pictures!! I'm following this thread because I'm planning on coming to Pattaya with my mother later this summer, and she's in a wheelchair... Without the promenade along the beach, I can't see any point in going to Pattaya, we might as well go elsewheresad.png .

Not many places in Thailand have a promenade (or even a road) along the beach. Especially not the islands down South. In the Pattaya area you at least have Jomtien, Bang Saray, etc.

Can she walk (with assistance of one or two people and a walker) short stretches? Then it's worth actually getting her on a beach, which is feasible for Jomtien for example as the road goes right along the beach.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Looks like they flattened out the undulating landscaped areas and are cementing a level surface to accommodate the vendors that will set up all over the place.

Dunno about the vendors, but about time they got rid of the undulations. That was a stupid idea, and it was better before they built them.

Looks like they flattened out the undulating landscaped areas and are cementing a level surface to accommodate the vendors that will set up all over the place.

Dunno about the vendors, but about time they got rid of the undulations. That was a stupid idea, and it was better before they built them.

I agree that for practical purposes the undulations were pretty worthless..But artistically I thought they were pretty cool looking...

Edited by fforest1

the rain will mostly waterfall down the nearest steps and rush out to sea, taking with it a whole bunch of sand, then they will get tractors to replace it from the rest of the beach, and be mystified about why the beach is disappearing

Not many places in Thailand have a promenade (or even a road) along the beach. Especially not the islands down South. In the Pattaya area you at least have Jomtien, Bang Saray, etc.

Can she walk (with assistance of one or two people and a walker) short stretches? Then it's worth actually getting her on a beach, which is feasible for Jomtien for example as the road goes right along the beach.

She can walk a little, but definitely not on the beach (walking on sand is obviously difficult and dangerous for people who have trouble keeping their balancesad.png ). I was counting on that promenade... it never crossed my mind that it could disappear!!!

Well, we are only planning on coming in September, so I guess we'll have to wait and see how things develop... many thanks to the people posting pictures!!!

You could also try Wong Amat.. A lot of development there recently, but you could park at the Rim Talay restaurant. Very few places in Thailand are 100% wheelchair friendly but it should be fairly doable to get to their large deck (same level as the parking lot). The beach level would be down some stairs though.

http://goo.gl/maps/h1uOE

http://www.rimtalayseafood.com/gallery/

Many more places like it of course, with a good view / access to a beach.

I think there are better places in the world for a handicap person in a wheelchair to enjoy easy access to getting around. Yikes, I can't even walk on one of Pattaya's side walks without running into a utility or telephone pole, a food vendor, a sleeping dog, or a pot hole.

I think there are better places in the world for a handicap person in a wheelchair to enjoy easy access to getting around. Yikes, I can't even walk on one of Pattaya's side walks without running into a utility or telephone pole, a food vendor, a sleeping dog, or a pot hole.

You forgot to mention how dangerous it is to cross the street in Thailand!!!

Pics from today show 3 color bricks used at far north start of project. Not much done but something to look at and get some idea.

Maybe 20 meters brick laid with 100 more ready for bricks. The grading for road/sidewalk is already down to Soi 5. Sure there are trees and other things being uprooted all down the beach but still have good access in those areas.

post-11376-0-96843300-1367577618_thumb.j

post-11376-0-15513800-1367577638_thumb.j

post-11376-0-19586600-1367577654_thumb.j

Pics from today show 3 color bricks used at far north start of project. Not much done but something to look at and get some idea.

Maybe 20 meters brick laid with 100 more ready for bricks. The grading for road/sidewalk is already down to Soi 5. Sure there are trees and other things being uprooted all down the beach but still have good access in those areas.

Thanks for the update.

Due to no maintenance by the city to their "projects" ...and due to what every pedistrian experiences everyday walking in the city, how many months will it take before some of the bricks begin to sink, disappear, or become unlevel? And seeing how the workers are just using regular soil for the foundation before laying the walk-way bricks tells me this prediction will happen.

Well; the road works have solved one problem - motor cycles taking up one lane of the road. Now all the motor cycles are parked on the pavement. LOL

Only temporarily solved, once they finish the roadwork they will return to the left lane

For those that complain the we are not giving the city planners a chance, that is because we have been here long enough to see all the other grand plans that are carried out, but never maintained. Like the "art" sculptures along the walkway, or the fountain at the intersection with Klang, or the pedestrian crossings, and on and on

• Like 1

Well; the road works have solved one problem - motor cycles taking up one lane of the road. Now all the motor cycles are parked on the pavement. LOL

Only temporarily solved, once they finish the roadwork they will return to the left lane

For those that complain the we are not giving the city planners a chance, that is because we have been here long enough to see all the other grand plans that are carried out, but never maintained. Like the "art" sculptures along the walkway, or the fountain at the intersection with Klang, or the pedestrian crossings, and on and on

...... Or the lifeguard platforms seen along the beach. Anyone ever seen a lifeguard? Or the bus stops. I'm over in 4 weeks so will be keen to see first hand what they have done.