Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

If you want to see what kind of wear and tear on these brick will be then go down to Walking Street and see for yourself. Its the same brick with same support under. WS has street traffic and foot traffic. The beach will only have foot traffic. WS brick was laid about 6 years ago.

Grid lock is a major problem in Pattaya. Beach Rd is the worst so now lets see if this helps.

For years the rumor is that the beach side of Walking Street will be torn down for street widening.

Maybe widening and/or elevated road same as Bali Pier to 3rd Rd will happen.

Unless they relaid Walking St you are more than a few years out.

They were never going to widen Walking St. All the businesses on the sea side of the road are illegally built, which is why they wanted to remove them, but that has been talked about for decades, and will probably never happen, for all the usual reasons.

This is what we have in Chiang Mai for our best walkway, around the city moat.

If in a wheel chair, take your pick and take your chances... :

IMG_6366.jpg

Which side of the old town is this? I don't recognise the building in the background...

That's looking at the Sompet Market area from the Eastern side of the moat, looking South. Amora Thapae hotel is just visible on the left. Here: http://goo.gl/maps/wPedP (Zoom out or click the little arrow in the bottom right to see the map)

Thanks. The worst thing about those walkways along the moats is crossing the street... I mean, ALL those streets... with the traffic never stopping...sad.png

<with the traffic never stopping>

Which is why I hate going to C M. It hasn't improved in 20 years.

I did say in post 279 that I was Just Dreaming so to recap what I tried to say:

Widen Walking Street by taking out the beach side business or build an elevaded road(not many tall buildings on that side). Then build a new road from the current elevaded road all the way to Sukhumvit.

This would complete very wide one way roads through the beach area to move massive amount of traffic.

Also as long as I am Just Dreaming:

A pedestrian fense could be added along beach side of road on the curb. Entry points every so often so fees could be collected. Anybody on that sidewalk or beach would pay standard fees of B200 tourist and B40 Thai. This would allow access to the chairs on the sand etc. The Thais already do this business model to Samet and Koh Chang. This is not a fishing village any longer, its a city.

See me at my table on Soi 13/1 PS Guest Horse

Fee on 200 bath for walking the sidewalk and access to the Beach, come on, it's not realistic, all beaches in Thailand are public.

If I had to pay that for my 3-5 times pr week walking there I will find somewhere else to go.

Regarding fees: it would be nice if non Chon Buri No plated cars had to pay a fee for a weekend pass, then they didn't need widening the Beach Road in the first place.

• Like 1

Remember I am just dreaming....

Guzz

"Fee on 200 bath for walking the sidewalk and access to the Beach, come on, it's not realistic, all beaches in Thailand are public."

If you take a trip to Samet(the island) you get charged B200(tourist) when you get off the boat. If you go to Koh Chang(the Island) Waterfall area B200(tourist). Both of these fees are Park Fees.

"If I had to pay that for my 3-5 times pr week walking there I will find somewhere else to go"

If they build a bunch more hotels on the beach then they will have all the tourist that beach can handle. And you can pay the beach fee or go to some Soi business where you can pay a bill. You gonna buy a drink or rent that seat ?

Edited by threelegcowboy

Fee on 200 bath for walking the sidewalk and access to the Beach, come on, it's not realistic, all beaches in Thailand are public.

If I had to pay that for my 3-5 times pr week walking there I will find somewhere else to go.

Regarding fees: it would be nice if non Chon Buri No plated cars had to pay a fee for a weekend pass, then they didn't need widening the Beach Road in the first place.

Yes indeed, it's quite clear that Pattaya has now become a suburb of Bangkok on weekends and holidays.

Pay 200 baht to use the beach.cheesy.gif

Pattays beach has to be one of the crappiest beaches of any major resort in the world...People are afraid to even swim in the water...I honestly have never seen a worse resort beach...

Maybe they could get away with charging in Phuket because Phukets beach is beautiful...But Pattaya no-way....

Edited by fforest1

Today the price for lounge chairs are B30 per day for everyone on Pattaya Beach. Thais would pay B10 more per day no problem. So I Guess quality tourist might pay B200 per day. If your paying B6000 at the Hilton then B200 is not such a leap.

This is Pattaya Beach, if you want cheap then go on down the road. Its free in most places.

The crime problem should decrease. Entrance/exit will be controlled. Some of the money generated could go toward security. I even have high hopes for the Jet Ski bunch.

The vendors would make thier money from food/drink.

There are no real parks in Pattaya, just the beach. What makes you think they arent going to change this ?

All I can say is its very unlikely that the beach side of walking street will be knocked down.

It is the walking streets biggest income ie insomnia, lucifer, marine etc etc.

Secondly lets see what happens. It's needed a clean up for a long time. If they had any sense. The the left lame should be solely for baht busses I they cause the majority of congestion.

All I can say is its very unlikely that the beach side of walking street will be knocked down.

Secondly lets see what happens. It's needed a clean up for a long time. If they had any sense. The the left lame should be solely for baht busses I they cause the majority of congestion.

The City has been talking about knocking those places down since at least 2000. It will not happen. On another note, I saw the new construction today. One thing that seems apparent is that after the construction the cars will be much closer to pedistrians on the walkway. Now, in most places, you can sit nearest the ocean and the cars are some distance away. After the "improvements , the cars will be right next to you, especially as you get closer and closer to Royal Garden Mall. And, as many people have pointed out, a huge traffic jam will occur as you get near the Walking Street. The project is a mistake, IMHO.

simple solution paint red and white lines on the curb stones the entire length of the beach road and enforce it with towing away offending vehicles be it bikes or cars/trucks. Having had to go along there a few times last week I noticed for every worker working 7-8 sat around doing nothing so its going to be a while. Traffic finally driven me out of Pattaya, 1 more week before the move up north. Great city for getting every thing that one needs but no go area traffic wise weekends and most of the week with the Asian and Russian tourists who have to be bused every where and picked up no matter where they gather, causing chaos.

The City has been talking about knocking those places down since at least 2000. It will not happen. On another note, I saw the new construction today. One thing that seems apparent is that after the construction the cars will be much closer to pedistrians on the walkway. Now, in most places, you can sit nearest the ocean and the cars are some distance away. After the "improvements , the cars will be right next to you, especially as you get closer and closer to Royal Garden Mall. And, as many people have pointed out, a huge traffic jam will occur as you get near the Walking Street. The project is a mistake, IMHO.

Depends how you define mistake, I'm sure the contract will have filled a few pockets very nicely thank you.

<The City has been talking about knocking those places down since at least 2000>

Out by several years. Try mid 90s, if not earlier.

Depends how you define mistake, I'm sure the contract will have filled a few pockets very nicely thank you.

You may have revealed why the project is taking place :)

The Shrine at 6/1 Beach is next. If they were going to move it they would have started before now. Maybe use the demo equip to move or load on a truck. My bet is the next working day it will be destroyed..

Probaly not enough room to just move a few feet out of the way.

post-11376-0-58346100-1368366066_thumb.j

post-11376-0-77150200-1368366089_thumb.j

complete waste, the beach footpath is about the only park area in Pattaya, at least since they turned the Bali Hai park into a car park, and they are turning it into an unneeded road, absolute stupidity

The Shrine at 6/1 Beach is next. If they were going to move it they would have started before now. Maybe use the demo equip to move or load on a truck. My bet is the next working day it will be destroyed..

Probaly not enough room to just move a few feet out of the way.

Going to be interesting, but their plans show it being moved to the Pattaya Glang intersection.

complete waste, the beach footpath is about the only park area in Pattaya, at least since they turned the Bali Hai park into a car park, and they are turning it into an unneeded road, absolute stupidity

Unfortunately, most cities on the planet are being designed, not for people, but for cars! Pattaya-Jomtien is special in this regard because it is only designed for cars on the move (no place to park).

I fear I have to take you to task again. There is ample parking in Pattaya-Jomtien area.............. at every red traffic light, or do the excessively long waits just make it seem that way?smile.png

I had walk at the north end of beach road last night, to review the improvements.

Well, the third lane is in, made of concrete, along with a new road curb and a sewer system, new trees are in, along with 3 different colours of paving stones: dark blue, light blue and grey. The paving stones are being installed onto a concrete base with a thin layer of sand. They also put a square cement curb around each tree.

Instead of aligning the starting row of paving stones with the curb, to avoid cutting the stones, they decided to align the stones to some imaginary straight line, but the line is not straight and weaves east and west. They also decided not to measure the distance from the road curb to the tree curbs, so they get to cut the paving stones at every tree curb also. They could have saved a lot of cutting time and effort if someone had just decided to align to the road curb and measure to the tree curbs, to avoid cutting stones.

The tree curbs also seem to be installed upside-down. The curbs are prefabricated and look like quarter-round. They are being installed so the rounded surface is pointing down. This will cause the curbs to tilt as they settle.

I guess this is just another make work project, that will look like shi_ in a year.

Edited by cigar7

Looks like ChangFai post is correct. Shrine could be moved to Beach/Klang. Today the rear slab of Shrine was sawed off in a clean manner. Grading work just missed rear of shrine and road bed is so close.

My latest guess is that they will prep the move of Shrine to Beach/klang.

To answer you question, I was talking about the plans that were up on Beach Road.

I remember taking a photo of the one that was directly across from the old Mikes.

On it, you could see the Shrine was to be moved to the Pattaya Glang Junction.

Will try and find the pic.

Thanks ChangFai, I remember seeing that somewhere awhile back. After some study you might be correct on Beach/Klang location as you could make out the wide beach area and B/K Soi and Soi 7.

However look how close the Shrine is to the road. If they were locating it to B/K maybe they would locate away from the road etc. The tree looks to be the same as tree at Soi 6/1 and that area is a wide spot also.

Looks like big plans for all the Beach Rd to have large buildings etc.

Thanks ChangFai, I remember seeing that somewhere awhile back. After some study you might be correct on Beach/Klang location as you could make out the wide beach area and B/K Soi and Soi 7.

However look how close the Shrine is to the road. If they were locating it to B/K maybe they would locate away from the road etc. The tree looks to be the same as tree at Soi 6/1 and that area is a wide spot also.

Looks like big plans for all the Beach Rd to have large buildings etc.

You could be right.

I just presumed that was the refurbished Dolphin Fountain, the shrine was sitting beside.

the path will be narrow,but it appears one couuld walk the entire beach by dodging the new palms..whick look beautyful...i have to say so far it looks very nice...but in 3 years it will be run down and dirty....made in thailand....