Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

It is sad that in this particular Asian country (not in Singapore, Japan, Malaysia...) budgeting for maintenance is not considered (or is it pocketed?). True, Thailand is still a developing country, but we are talking about a city that has a huge budget due to all the tourist dollar that flows into the city.The norm is to spend big money on a building or another kind of project and then neglect it for the rest of its life. The 8 year old Beach Road promenade could have continued to look appealing if it was kept up. But instead, the vegetation was gradually worn out. Then city officials allowing the vendors to set up along the winding walkway during special events didn't help either. Cooking grease dumped on the walkway, countless numbers spray painted on the concrete for marking the vendor's rented area, strings tied to the trees... Let's wait and see what happens to the "needed" new lane that is for traffic. When there is some special festival such as the music festival or fireworks, will the city officials close down the "much needed" new lane and make that into a night market? Note: With the removal of the "native" trees and palms the new walkway will not have any shade as before.

beach road had become a no go area during any kind of festival or event or generally on the weekends. my guess is the new beach road will be a no go area full stop now. with the space to walk now so limited, who will think of a nice stroll down by the sea, even at the best of times? according to thai logic this probably means tourists will spend more time in shopping malls or expensive restaurants. doubt that will be the case, but i am sure the thai's who thought it would will never in a million years admit to have been mistaken, probably just blame the tourists for being cheap charlies.

However look how close the Shrine is to the road. If they were locating it to B/K maybe they would locate away from the road etc. The tree looks to be the same as tree at Soi 6/1 and that area is a wide spot also.

Looks like big plans for all the Beach Rd to have large buildings etc.

After seeing some other photos today, I am starting to agree with you.

where are the beach chairs and the dirt on the beach?

Good question. Some possibilities are:

1, Did not show beach chairs and dirt(sand) for artistic privilege on pic.

2. Did not show beach chairs and dirt(sand) because the beach is eroding and there will not be room for beach chairs in a few years. Nature takes its course. If Thais do something about this eroding problem.

A. Cheap method is to put large rock along sea wall. (already done some places on Jomtien Beach, same city as Pattaya).

B. Expensive fix is to bring in sand by barge during high tide and top it off by truck. So the beach could become any size.

I conversed with a Vietnam vet(American) on the beach about his experience. During the Viet War Pattaya Beach was a clean beautiful pairofdice. Today he visits again after 45 years. He was very upset. The buildings and ruining of the beach etc. Mostly the number of people and bus after bus.

He said he will never come back. He has set off to find a better beach.

in my town we had in the sixtys cars and buses on the beach road,now only pedestrians

the cars are banned,first prottest from the owners of the appartements,

now they are happy with the nice vieuw and pay a fortune for it.

post-62639-0-66493100-1368602337_thumb.j

post-62639-0-45156500-1368602367_thumb.j

• Like 1

in my town we had in the sixtys cars and buses on the beach road,now only pedestrians

Exactly right.

Why give up beachfront property for the stinky cars and busses? They ruin it.

Still, there are a few advantages to Pattaya not being in France....smile.png

The prices, for instance.

I conversed with a Vietnam vet(American) on the beach about his experience. During the Viet War Pattaya Beach was a clean beautiful pairofdice. Today he visits again after 45 years. He was very upset. The buildings and ruining of the beach etc. Mostly the number of people and bus after bus.

"a beautiful pairofdice"??? what's that??

"a beautiful pairofdice"??? what's that??

Paradise.

And this is the only change he noticed since the Vietnam war? What was he expecting?

it was about the streets or beachroad not about living cost (pics belguim ostend)

it was about the streets or beachroad not about living cost (pics belguim ostend)

I was joking, Jean-Pierre... I assumed you were French, so I thought you had a sense of humour... tongue.png

• Like 1

Pattaya Beach construction update

North end to Soi 2 Beach is accessable. More brick laid, sea wall and large beach drains work in some places.

Soi 2 to Twin Palm Resort has heavy construction. Some trails to beach but limited

Twin Palm Resort to Walking Street full access with some prep being done.

As I cycled down Beach Road this morning, just as you go around the bend after Dusit hotel there were already cars parked in the newly formed lane nearest to the beach. So now you have cars and buses parked on the left and you have cars parked on the right. This is what is going to happen. All this work just to create an extra lane that will just be used for more parking ! These people are unreal

• Like 1

As I cycled down Beach Road this morning, just as you go around the bend after Dusit hotel there were already cars parked in the newly formed lane nearest to the beach. So now you have cars and buses parked on the left and you have cars parked on the right. This is what is going to happen. All this work just to create an extra lane that will just be used for more parking ! These people are unreal

(I imagine the new lane will be used by traffic once the entire new lane has been completed. Right now the new lane only goes from "Dusit curve" down to soi 5. However!!!!! Before construction, Beach Road had 3 lanes, but the one lane was use for SOME parking, but mostly for motorbike rentals or for food vendors. Next, when Beach Rd meets Walking Street and the traffic turns onto South Pattaya Rd. - are there 4 lanes to match up with Beach Rd? (oops, City Hall didn't figure that out yet?)

have to say I prefer parked cars to moving cars so this could be a positive sign

(I imagine the new lane will be used by traffic once the entire new lane has been completed. Right now the new lane only goes from "Dusit curve" down to soi 5. However!!!!! Before construction, Beach Road had 3 lanes, but the one lane was use for SOME parking, but mostly for motorbike rentals or for food vendors. Next, when Beach Rd meets Walking Street and the traffic turns onto South Pattaya Rd. - are there 4 lanes to match up with Beach Rd? (oops, City Hall didn't figure that out yet?)

If they had any brains, they'd have bulldozed the entire walking part, made an extra lane and parking ( like in Jomptien ), then reclaimed more beach and built the new walking area on that. Then they could have two way traffic ( like in Jomptien ) eliminating the need for a long walk from Second road.

If they only had 4 lanes, it would eliminate the parking problem.

What they seem to be doing is the worst of all worlds by the sound of it.

Pattaya Beach construction update

North end to Soi 3 Beach is accessable
with brick work mostly done.

Soi 3 to Soi 5 Brick work going
fast.

Soi 5 to Hard Rock has heavy construction. Some trails to beach
but limited.
Some trails have planks over work area. Bus loads of tourst are
walking the plank.

Hard Rock to Walking Street full access with some prep
being done.

As the construction moves down the beach a tsunami has been generated. Mice/rats, tourist, police, tourist police, street sweepers, bums, joggers, ghost, vendors, thieves, dogs, charity collectors, beggars, little red massage Ladies, old geezers, jet ski scamers, ladies, hookers, lady boys, gents, bikers, members of the United Nations, Thai gnomes, and Thais are mostly going down the beach in a wave. Lets hope the construction crews keep up the pace or this could get ugly.