Problem Crossing Into Laos For Shopping Trip

I went on a coach trip with my g/f and mostly teachers to the Laos border crossing at Jumpasak for a few days and they all crossed the border on foot for 2 hours; shopping!!............... I had been informed that my visa (non-immigrant "O" single entry 6 months) would be no problem I had got a friend to enquire about it at Konkean immigration prior to me leaving and the official there told him, no problem..I had photo -copied visa for him to show the official there....

Was informed at the border crossing by immigration official that, yes, I can cross but I must pay 1,500bht and I will get a re-entry stamp for 15 days only. Not wishing to pay this amount and not wishing to curtail the present visa I have ( I have a return flight to UK booked in May) I obviously stayed on the Thai side and waited for them....must say I wasn't that bothered about the shopping.

My question is....who was correct? the immigration official in Konkean or the immigration officer at the border.

I'm still learning all the rules myself, but if you have a single-entry visa then I think the immigration official was right. I think you would have had another alternative which was -- in advance -- stop by an immigration office & pay for a 2nd entry on your current visa for around 1000 THB. That would have kept your current visa which is good till May.

Failing to do that, then when you leave your current visa is superseded & you get a new 15-day visa normal for land-crossing.

Mostly I'm posting this to test myself. I'm trying to learn the rules myself & I know ppl will jump all over me if I got anything wrong. Anyway, you made the wise decision to stay on the Thai side of the border that day.

• Like 2

You need a visa to enter Laos. Have not seen reports of being allowed into Laos for shopping (as is allowed by Burma), but Thai can get border crossing permits easily. So yes you would have had to pay that fee for a visa to Laos and on return you would only obtain a 15 day visa exempt entry. KK immigration could have sold you a re-entry permit to allow your current stay to remain intact but suspect they did not know that was a concern. You could have departed and returned. So both were right.

but Thai can get border crossing permits easily.

My TG and I tried crossing over the Thai-Lao Friendly Bridge in Mukdahan and Immigration said she needed a Passport. Where can a Thai get a border crossing permit?

My TG and I tried crossing over the Thai-Lao Friendly Bridge in Mukdahan and Immigration said she needed a Passport. Where can a Thai get a border crossing permit?

Probably at the immigration office nearby but why bother? Get your girlfriend to get a passport. They only cost 1000 Baht, last for 5 years and travel is hassle free once you have one. Most international travel requires a passport, get used to it.

Probably at the immigration office nearby but why bother? Get your girlfriend to get a passport. They only cost 1000 Baht, last for 5 years and travel is hassle free once you have one. Most international travel requires a passport, get used to it.

I know about the Thai PP. I have one and I told the GF to get one. That's not the point. The point is...is that I heard of Thais getting a border pass to simply go shopping and the immigration officer at the Mukdahan border crossing acted like no such thing ever existed.

I do not know where the office is but a Google gets this:

Once at the border you have to go to the building on the far left side before the border station itself. You have to pay 20 Baht to receive the border pass (to get it will take some time, make sure you are early).

http://www.travel-burirum.net/travel-around-thailand/crossing-the-lao-border-at-savannakhet-with-thai-id-card/

I do not know where the office is but a Google gets this:

Once at the border you have to go to the building on the far left side before the border station itself. You have to pay 20 Baht to receive the border pass (to get it will take some time, make sure you are early).

http://www.travel-burirum.net/travel-around-thailand/crossing-the-lao-border-at-savannakhet-with-thai-id-card/

Thanks.

Whats the big deal about shopping in Laos anyway do they have better items to purchase or is the quality better or just prices that much cheaper than in Thailand?unsure.png

Edited by akampa

I know about the Thai PP. I have one and I told the GF to get one. That's not the point. The point is...is that I heard of Thais getting a border pass to simply go shopping and the immigration officer at the Mukdahan border crossing acted like no such thing ever existed.

I had a similar situation when I went to Cambodia last year. It seems the Thai side of these border crossings they make up their rules as they go. I was very polite to them and they were extremely rude to me. Practically vindictive.

Whats the big deal about shopping in Laos anyway do they have better items to purchase or is the quality better or just prices that much cheaper than in Thailand?unsure.png

I have to agree with you. I am not impressed with Laos. I love going to Phenom Penh but I think it's better to fly..

Immigration officers are always right !!! In this case the officer at the frontiers is the one that matters .

On visits to Nong Kai with my wife and her friend , I have sent them on shopping trips to Laos . I cannot be bothered with the paperwork or additional cost .

Frankly , I'm not interested to visit Laos , or go on a shopping trip to buy a lot of cheap rubbish , which I'd have to pay for . Women by themselves with limited funds don't spend so much .

• Like 1

You need a re-entry visa; obtainable at any immigration office (there is one in Chong Mek - the border post to the Laotian province of Champasak). One re-entry THB 1'000; multiple (valid as long as the original visa is valid) THB 3'800.

On the Lao side (to the right on the little hill) you complete Lao immigration. Except Swiss and Luxembourg citizen everyone elses needs a visa for Laos; fees depend on nationality (!) and are between USD 30 and USD 43. The visa allows a tourist stay (no work) for 30 days; arrival and departure day included. Passport needs to be valid six months after latest departure from Laos, i.e. minimum of seven months.

The officials collect all sorts of little fees (overtime, weekend, god-only-know-what-for fees). As they are marginal, just pay and get going as they can screw you quite nicely if the want.

Taking your car requires the original car papers as well as an ITP (International Transport Permit) issued by any Dept. of Motor Vehicle office anywhere in Thailand. Against an extra fee you can get all-English car plates too (I paid THB 1'500 per set per car). The car owner has to be present on leaving the country; alternatively a power-of-attorney is required (which I do not know if and how exactly that works). If your car is financed then you need a respective paper of the finance company.

Happy trails and enjoy Laos. Forget shopping there; except booze and smokes they feature mainly cheap Chinese and Vietnamese stuff which you do not want to be bothered with. Enjoy their Baguettes while you're there and have a sundowner on the rooftop of Jérome's "Pakse Hotel".

Enjoy the trip! And dont forget, everywhere it's a smiling ສະບາຍດີ

You need a re-entry visa; obtainable at any immigration office (there is one in Chong Mek - the border post to the Laotian province of Champasak). One re-entry THB 1'000; multiple (valid as long as the original visa is valid) THB 3'800.

On the Lao side (to the right on the little hill) you complete Lao immigration. Except Swiss and Luxembourg citizen everyone elses needs a visa for Laos; fees depend on nationality (!) and are between USD 30 and USD 43. The visa allows a tourist stay (no work) for 30 days; arrival and departure day included. Passport needs to be valid six months after latest departure from Laos, i.e. minimum of seven months.

The officials collect all sorts of little fees (overtime, weekend, god-only-know-what-for fees). As they are marginal, just pay and get going as they can screw you quite nicely if the want.

Taking your car requires the original car papers as well as an ITP (International Transport Permit) issued by any Dept. of Motor Vehicle office anywhere in Thailand. Against an extra fee you can get all-English car plates too (I paid THB 1'500 per set per car). The car owner has to be present on leaving the country; alternatively a power-of-attorney is required (which I do not know if and how exactly that works). If your car is financed then you need a respective paper of the finance company.

Happy trails and enjoy Laos. Forget shopping there; except booze and smokes they feature mainly cheap Chinese and Vietnamese stuff which you do not want to be bothered with. Enjoy their Baguettes while you're there and have a sundowner on the rooftop of Jérome's "Pakse Hotel".

Addendum: Visa requirement for everybody = Westeners only. Thais as well as other ASEAN nations have visa-free access for a certain period of time (which I do not recall); check with the Lao Embassy in Bangkok or their consulate in Khon Kaen!

The only time I've ever been allowed to enter Laos without a visa is in the golden triangle area. There's some island on the Mekong river with some kind of market which you can access by boat without passing through both immigrations. Anyway not too much to shop, just old opium pipes, big knifes and spirits and tobacco. The tobacco was cheaper but not sure about the quality, didn't buy it.

You need a visa to enter Laos. Have not seen reports of being allowed into Laos for shopping (as is allowed by Burma), but Thai can get border crossing permits easily. So yes you would have had to pay that fee for a visa to Laos and on return you would only obtain a 15 day visa exempt entry. KK immigration could have sold you a re-entry permit to allow your current stay to remain intact but suspect they did not know that was a concern. You could have departed and returned. So both were right.

I'm still learning all the rules myself, but if you have a single-entry visa then I think the immigration official was right. I think you would have had another alternative which was -- in advance -- stop by an immigration office & pay for a 2nd entry on your current visa for around 1000 THB. That would have kept your current visa which is good till May.

Failing to do that, then when you leave your current visa is superseded & you get a new 15-day visa normal for land-crossing.

Mostly I'm posting this to test myself. I'm trying to learn the rules myself & I know ppl will jump all over me if I got anything wrong. Anyway, you made the wise decision to stay on the Thai side of the border that day.

This is correct sir! When you leave Thailand (when you arrived on a single entry Non-O) you are finished with the Non-O and must get a new visa or accept the 15 day exempted entry. Additionally, you must also get a Lao VIsa.

The only time I've ever been allowed to enter Laos without a visa is in the golden triangle area. There's some island on the Mekong river with some kind of market which you can access by boat without passing through both immigrations. Anyway not too much to shop, just old opium pipes, big knifes and spirits and tobacco. The tobacco was cheaper but not sure about the quality, didn't buy it.

I did the same some 7-8 years ago. Very touristy arrangement, mostly souvenir rubbish to buy.

The Immigration officer at the border was right. You had a single entry visa and you had already used that single entry since you were in Thailand. It's pretty obvious.

Obvious now, in hindsite. That is why I had enquired at KK immigration before my trip. Wish I was as intelligent as you...there would no need for a usefull and generally pleasant forum as this. I realise now that, thanks to a few nice people on here, that I should have got a re-entry permit , but looking at the cost I don't think I would have bothered.

Have been informed that the Thais need only an ID card to cross into Laos. That's what the other people on the bus did....they had them all photo-copied prior to getting to the border crossing.

I've done the walk across thing before to go shopping (maybe 6 years ago near Ubon). I think we had to pay around 5 baht each to enter Laos.

Anyways, I bought a couple of DVDs and a few CDs. It was mostly touristy crap. When I asked my friend why we came shopping in Laos, she said it was because it was so much cheaper. Cheapness is all relative, so to her it was a great discount but to me it was just a bit cheaper than Thailand. Think of the gasoline used to get there and back, and then it's even less of a deal.

Several ppl mentioned that Westerners need a visa to enter Laos. Does this mean visa-on-arrival, or you have to get one in advance? I'm planning to fly in soon and didn't plan to get a visa prior to arrival. I'm American.

Yes, Pakse is delightful and the Pakse Hotel is a very nice play to stay, with a great rooftop restaurant.

Hi doontp, I live in Mukdahan, with Thai wife, have been to Lao many times, via the friendship bridge, Thai's only need to get a border crossing pass, no passport required, check with immigration at the bridge, all seem like nice guys, their office is on the left before the border check point.

When you consider it will cost about 1500B for visa and photo, it really isn't cheap shopping, but the thais don't take the cost of shopping. e.g. visas, crossing permits, fuel, cost of taxi to get to the shops and back etc etc etc. They see ONLY cheaper goods.

• Like 1