Wild Dogs

...Ken

Thai wild dogs ('maa paa' in Thai) 'Dhole' in English and 'Cuon Alpinus' in Latin are apparently making a comeback in an area North of Chieng Dao.

Dhole:

"Present in Thailand, including Khao Yai National Park (Lekagul and McNeeley 1977) but status is unknown. Despite frequent visits to the north of Thailand, and bordering Burma, Corbett (pers. comm.) never observed dholes, nor was he convinced that they still existed in much of this region."

Their sign is evident and occasionally being spotted by hunters about 100/120 km N.N.E. of Chiengmai.

...Ken

Thai wild dogs ('maa paa' in Thai) 'Dhole' in English and 'Cuon Alpinus' in Latin are apparently making a comeback in an area North of Chieng Dao.

Dhole:

"Present in Thailand, including Khao Yai National Park (Lekagul and McNeeley 1977) but status is unknown. Despite frequent visits to the north of Thailand, and bordering Burma, Corbett (pers. comm.) never observed dholes, nor was he convinced that they still existed in much of this region."

Their sign is evident and occasionally being spotted by hunters about 100/120 km N.N.E. of Chiengmai.

...Ken

Are they a special genus of wild animal or just a group of very angry soi dogs?

...Ken

Yes, * Cuon alpinus infuscus ( I believe)

I realize that this is not as important as Mexican food or the best breakfast deal in Chiengmai but, yes this wild dog is unique and indigeneous to Asia. They are an endangered species and have never been scientifically recorded in North Thailand (still not) . Local villagers started to notice them for the first time in 2004. In a time when Thailand's environmental degradation is expected it is a sign of promise. The reports I get from hunters is that their numbers are increasing.

...Ken

...Ken

Yes, * Cuon alpinus infuscus ( I believe)

I realize that this is not as important as Mexican food or the best breakfast deal in Chiengmai but, yes this wild dog is unique and indigeneous to Asia. They are an endangered species and have never been scientifically recorded in North Thailand (still not) . Local villagers started to notice them for the first time in 2004. In a time when Thailand's environmental degradation is expected it is a sign of promise. The reports I get from hunters is that their numbers are increasing.

...Ken

Maybe you should have included this info in your OP!

Far more inportant than Mexican food :o Why didn't you make your point sooner?

Asian Wild Dog (Cuon Alpinus) indigenous to SE Asia. This carnivore hunts in packs of five or more, and preys on herbivores such as small deer. The photo below was taken about 1998 in the Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary, which was listed as a World Heritage site in 1991

Photo from Wildlife in the Kingdom of Thailand

post-7622-1142323385_thumb.jpg

Far more inportant than Mexican food :o Why didn't you make your point sooner?

Asian Wild Dog (Cuon Alpinus) indigenous to SE Asia. This carnivore hunts in packs of five or more, and preys on herbivores such as small deer. The photo below was taken about 1998 in the Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary, which was listed as a World Heritage site in 1991

Photo from Wildlife in the Kingdom of Thailand

post-7622-1142323385_thumb.jpg

My dog ran away sometime in 2004 too. Could be with them. He looked kinda unique though. At least I know where to find him now.

The interesting part (IMO) is their appearance in an area that has not been their traditional

territory. Whether they have been displaced or their populations are increasing, I don't know.

The relatives say there are signs of lots of pups.

Hopefully a good news story..... unless you're eating the same things they are.

...Ken

The interesting part (IMO) is their appearance in an area that has not been their traditional

territory. Whether they have been displaced or their populations are increasing, I don't know.

...Ken

Who says? What kind of scientific evidence have they presented, when none has ever been presented before? How do they even know what to look for?

Sorry, but the scientist in me demands facts :o

This is all as maybe......Can you perform medical experiments on these canine....Thus making them practical to our existence upon this sorry little rock.

Hey Att, can you let me have some of those pills you are on. I need a reality break!

:o

This is all as maybe......Can you perform medical experiments on these canine....Thus making them practical to our existence upon this sorry little rock.

Hey Att, can you let me have some of those pills you are on. I need a reality break!

:o

I can send you lots of links for blue pills.

I do wish the O.P. had included some useful reliable data and links.

...Ken

Who says? What kind of scientific evidence have they presented, when none has ever been presented before? How do they even know what to look for?

Let me guess....you're the condescending curmudgeon of this group ?.....Whoops, hold that thought, I just noticed the smilely face. Where would we be without those creatures? Anarchy, perhaps ?

...as for scientific evidence, hmmm, nope. This is all anecdotal......and that is what I find interesting, a hint that something undiscovered has yet to fall to the wayside of becoming accepted fact. The thrill of discovery....the hunt !

Maybe there is a condo balcony sitter in this ng who wants to venture further than the nearest Mexican restaurant and attempt to photograph this elusive animal, lay down a gps coordinate and enter the record books ? (smiley face)

...Ken

Wow, looks like a Coyote........

If its' anything like a Coyote, its just a matter of time before we can see them in their NEW habitat, from the Mexican restaurant, in downtown Chiangmai.

If they are like Coyotes they will get a culinary delight from domestic dogs and forego the deer. Deer run to fast anyway, and you don't need a pack of 5 friends to run down a Soi dog........

Nah, I will just wait a few weeks at the Mexican restaurant to take my pictures!

...Ken

...as for scientific evidence, hmmm, nope. This is all anecdotal......and that is what I find interesting, a hint that something undiscovered has yet to fall to the wayside of becoming accepted fact. The thrill of discovery....the hunt !

...Ken

Okay, thanks for your response. I just wanted some clarity on the issue before anyone decides to go dog hunting. :D