Charge The Fatties Extra

JoePai

I could care less about what a passenger sitting next to me weighs...what I DO care about is, whether or not part of his body flops over onto the seat I paid for. If that's the case, he should have to pay for an extra seat to accommodate that extra floppage...pure and simple. It's not discrimination, it's just fair to everyone who bought a ticket and fits squarely in one seat.

They could have a sample seat in the check-in area, just like they have the sample "under the seat stowage area" to determine if your carry-on is too big.

Edited by Ajaan
  • Like 2

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What if you're just 'stout' of stature by nature???

If they're going to start picking on people who make travel unpleasant then they should start with the garlic breathed, then the snorers, then them with unruly brats, then fidgiters and then people with glasses who need to clean the bloody things every 20 minutes - elbows everywhere...

I don't think this is about people who make travel unpleasant, but about those who are massively overweight paying the same fare as a 10 year old child. IMHO, this is not a bad way to set fares. Plus, might help that 200Kg traveler shed a bit???? Which would be a great thing.

As the article stated, Samoa has some of the largest people on the planet. This policy makes sense. Again, IMHO.

wai2.gif

You are absolutely wrong in stating that this policy makes sense.

It is just a move from the airline guys to let you pay more.

Mind, next step the average weight will become a standard weight of 75 kilo, and the standard height 175 cm

Anybody heavier or taller will pay more.

Quite simple, this is another move of those money grabbers to steal more from travellers.

And no, this is not a good move.

Do remember, if this succeeds, the chairs will become even smaller.

• Like 1

I think that essentially it's a great idea - many's the time I've stood behind someone at check-in who weighs double what I do (I'm a fairly average 68kg) worrying if my case is overweight.

However, as hansni points out above, you can be sure that any move the airlines make in that direction won't make flying cheaper for average guys like me, but it will make it more expensive for the heavier people.

But the principle of paying a flat rate per kilo (person and baggage) for any given flight is really something they should have been doing for years. It's not beyond the wit of the airline companies to work extra-wide seats into economy for those who are paying above a certain fare threshold. It would be very easy to implement, with the weighing pad just in front of the check-in desk so the girl / guy can just check the scales against stated weight on the ticket.

and the next thing they will implement are standing seats

article-0-0B38BCF6000005DC-731_634x534.j

airbus202.jpg

do you folks really think is a fair game to pay per weight? hahaaa the airline are laughing. chances are the fares are gonna stay the same and cost more for the more stubby one.

so are they also intending to charge more for wild tarzan kids and crying babies w00t.gifw00t.gif

I think there should be a height gauge and then normal weight..............

If you're 20 kgs over then charge them the £14 per kilo it normally is for excess baggage........

No need for Whoppers who are 5 foot 6 and 100 kgs. Charge em...........

Edited by Chivas

Can I take it from the above thread (read 1st page)

The majority of posters on this thread would be in favour of Farangs being charged more than Thais and most other Asians because Asians are smaller than Farangs, so take up less space. Should farangs pay more to subsidise the lower Asian fare ?

Would the same be true for the use of space on the Baht Bus (Pattaya), should Farangs pay double the Thai fare ?

Do they also take up double the space in National Parks and such, so should they be charged double there also ?

• Like 1

It's a ploy to increase fares and profits - normal weight passengers won't benefit at all.

If the increase is for Fat Seats, to allow correct-weight Passengers the normal level of comfort, for which the normal seating is designed, it is not a ploy. I have also thought as I've checked in, and with light-weight luggage, that a total passenger+luggage amount should be considered. Get on the scales please sir, with luggage, then, as hand luggage is often checked for dimensions, so should the obese passenger have to pass through a gate. If he/she can not pass through without touching the sides, it's a Fat Seat fee. If there are not enough Fat Seats, and he/has not ordered one, then sorry, you will have to take a later flight.

Agree there is a valid business argument for weight/fuel costs. And see the point of above posts

It's a ploy to increase fares and profits - normal weight passengers won't benefit at all.

If the increase is for Fat Seats, to allow correct-weight Passengers the normal level of comfort, for which the normal seating is designed, it is not a ploy. I have also thought as I've checked in, and with light-weight luggage, that a total passenger+luggage amount should be considered. Get on the scales please sir, with luggage, then, as hand luggage is often checked for dimensions, so should the obese passenger have to pass through a gate. If he/she can not pass through without touching the sides, it's a Fat Seat fee. If there are not enough Fat Seats, and he/has not ordered one, then sorry, you will have to take a later flight.

Agree there is a valid business argument for weight/fuel costs. And see the point of above posts

It's not just "fat" seats. Many people pay more for economy plus (a bit more leg room), business class (a lot more room) and first class (luxury!). And they aren't even fat!

If you want (or need) more room, you should pay for it.

there are many things which offend different people.

1. Over sized people encroaching on your seat

2. Smelly individuals who don't notice their own B.O

the annoyance of people with their music so loud it can be heard (or just heard) through their headphones and of course those who take telephone calls at the restaurant or coffee shop table and speak so loudly the whole place can hear.

The list goes on.....

But I do agree with this measure....perhaps the best way is to have an economy sized seat at check-in if the passenger cannot sit in the seat without overflowing then they buy two tickets, or upgrade to first class. and while the alrlines are at it, could we please have sound proofed sections at the back of the planes for parents with small children.....there are just SOME places that a parent should have more sense than to take a child!!!

• Like 2

Have tou ever seen Samoans?

I worked for a year in Enn Zed and in the shopping malls you could feel them coming through the floor vibrating before you saw them.

Supersized is how I would describe them and most of the women had more tattoos than the men.

My question then is: If an entire nation of people are very large, is it that 100% of them overeat, or are genetics involved? Just because the businesses that sell their wieght loss programs blame it on overeating does not make it true. Use your common sense. When are people going to blame people for having blue eyes, being tall, being short, being left-handed, being smart, being dumb, having hair or being bald, poor eyesight, poor hearing? I can go on & on. Genectis play a huge part, not just choice.

Have tou ever seen Samoans?

I worked for a year in Enn Zed and in the shopping malls you could feel them coming through the floor vibrating before you saw them.

Supersized is how I would describe them and most of the women had more tattoos than the men.

My question then is: If an entire nation of people are very large, is it that 100% of them overeat, or are genetics involved? Just because the businesses that sell their wieght loss programs blame it on overeating does not make it true. Use your common sense. When are people going to blame people for having blue eyes, being tall, being short, being left-handed, being smart, being dumb, having hair or being bald, poor eyesight, poor hearing? I can go on & on. Genectis play a huge part, not just choice.

I guess your big yourself.. i can testify to the fact that with proper diet you can loose weight I lost 25 kg last year. Its not easy but it can be done. But most people rather not put int he effort and blame genetics.

Sure some people can get fat easier but the body can't get fat if you don't eat too much. Just because its hard does not mean you don't have to make an effort.

Look at the Rock he is part samoan he uses his genetics to stay in great shape. So those same genes can also help to build a good body.

But of course its easier not to do a thing, i got a thyroid problem and i still lost the weight.. yes had to work harder as normal people but so be it i don't want to be a fat.

Edited by robblok

whistling.gif God idea, but let's also add.

People who take a window seat and then get up more than once every 12 hour flight\

FEE for that 20 pounds, each offense.

People who put there seat down in front of you without any notice knocking your knees repeatedly,

FEE for that 20 pounds, eah offense

People who spill their drink, beer, etc on you.

FEE for that 40 pounds, each offense

People who have heavy bags stored in the overhead bins and try to take them out when they go to the toliets....only to drop them on you when they open the overhead bin.

FEE for that... immediate execution of their first born male children.

Add to list - the secret [not so secret] farters. I once buzzed the stewardess and asked if there was a problem with toilet. She immediately knew what I meant, as her nose couldn't escape the smell. Boy, did the bastard sitting next to me get a red face. But that is just the height of rudeness!

• Like 1

April fools or not, this idea is in fact being discussed:

http://travel.cnn.com/airline-fat-tax-should-heavy-passengers-pay-more-619046?hpt=hp_t4

Excerpt from the article:

"In his paper, published in the Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management,
Dr. Bhatta noted “a reduction of 1 kilo weight of a plane will result
in fuel savings worth US$3,000 a year and a reduction of CO2 emissions
by the same token.”

That's quite a bit of savings.

The majority of posters on this thread would be in favour of Farangs being charged more than Thais and most other Asians because Asians are smaller than Farangs, so take up less space. Should farangs pay more to subsidise the lower Asian fare ?

Would the same be true for the use of space on the Baht Bus (Pattaya), should Farangs pay double the Thai fare ?

Do they also take up double the space in National Parks and such, so should they be charged double there also ?

Your post started off making quite good sense - remember it is weight we are talking about here and every kilo does mean more fuel required. So yes a small Asian should pay less that a fat farang - but hey the airlines should also then weigh hand luggage. How many Asians [indians in particular] do you see carrying their super stuffed canvas bags etc onto planes and leaving no room for normal folks' small briefcases.

<snip>

Edited by craigt3365
rude comments removed.
  • Like 1

Your post started off making quite good sense - remember it is weight we are talking about here and every kilo does mean more fuel required. So yes a small Asian should pay less that a fat farang - but hey the airlines should also then weigh hand luggage. How many Asians [indians in particular] do you see carrying their super stuffed canvas bags etc onto planes and leaving no room for normal folks' small briefcases.

<snip>

Sorry Craigt3665 - my [snipped] final comment was indeed rather rude - may I perhaps edit it to:

The rest of your post was perhaps written whilst you were engaged in a toiletry function?

A much fairer system would be to apply a weight limit per seat rather than per person; ie 160kgs per seat. This could enable someone of say 140kgs to travel with a 20kg suitcase without being penalised, while his 60 kg wife would have enough room for her clothes, the rest of his clothes, and enough chocolate to see him through the 12hrs flight to LHR:)

Edited by evadgib

I was flying from bkk to Kenya and in the aisle sear with a young sex tourist Australian female sat next to me by the window.

This dozy cow had 3 large bottles of drinks for the 10 hour flight and drank and drank until she then kept saying "excuse me I need to get past to go the toilet". After the third time she woke up I said "look I am working as soon as I get to Africa so either stop waking me up or switch seats".

Funnily enough she stopped drinking to ready herself for the loss of body fluids for when the Kenyan lotharios got a hold of her.

It was funny teasing her asking what she was doing travelling on her on for a.......safari. Yeah OK, never seen someone blush so much.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

whistling.gif God idea, but let's also add.

People who take a window seat and then get up more than once every 12 hour flight\

FEE for that 20 pounds, each offense.

People who put there seat down in front of you without any notice knocking your knees repeatedly,

FEE for that 20 pounds, eah offense

People who spill their drink, beer, etc on you.

FEE for that 40 pounds, each offense

People who have heavy bags stored in the overhead bins and try to take them out when they go to the toliets....only to drop them on you when they open the overhead bin.

FEE for that... immediate execution of their first born male children.

Your obviously British so you must know that Ryan Air already makes charges as per your suggestion, they are masters at additional charging :)

Personally being 8 stone I'm all in favour of a combined person / baggage allowance, I would be able to take so much more luggage :)

I do get annoyed being penalised for being a kilo over on baggage when someone who weighs three times as much as me has same baggage allowance. That and being squashed in my seat due to overweight persons.

Hopefully if this catches on large people will start paying more for clothing, why is it I pay same as XXXL person but they use twice as much material to make garment ?

• Like 1

Hypothetical Question, but maybe someone can answer it:

Many posters have also made valid comments about sitting next to 'the fatties' and losing up to half their own seat. Would you be within your rights to demand a change of seat, and if no other seats were available, would you be within your rights to demand an upgrade, a refund or changed to an alternative/next flight? You have after all paid for a full seat!

I'm not sure that I'd have the brass neck enough to demand such, as it would, I'm sure, be extremely embarrassing for the fattie, but if I was on a 12 hourer in such a situation, I'd be very tempted to give it go.

Thoughts anybody?

Hypothetical Question, but maybe someone can answer it: Many posters have also made valid comments about sitting next to 'the fatties' and losing up to half their own seat. Would you be within your rights to demand a change of seat, and if no other seats were available, would you be within your rights to demand an upgrade, a refund or changed to an alternative/next flight? You have after all paid for a full seat! I'm not sure that I'd have the brass neck enough to demand such, as it would, I'm sure, be extremely embarrassing for the fattie, but if I was on a 12 hourer in such a situation, I'd be very tempted to give it go. Thoughts anybody?

I guess the first thing would be to ask the seat neighbor to stay within his space, and if impossible escalate the issue to the cabin crew. But they will probably upgrade the fattie. But then both win - your problem goes away and the fattie gets a seat that's more comfortable. Edited by manarak

If they're going to start picking on people who make travel unpleasant then they should start with the garlic breathed, then the snorers, then them with unruly brats, then fidgiters and then people with glasses who need to clean the bloody things every 20 minutes - elbows everywhere...

I don't think this is about people who make travel unpleasant, but about those who are massively overweight paying the same fare as a 10 year old child. IMHO, this is not a bad way to set fares. Plus, might help that 200Kg traveler shed a bit???? Which would be a great thing.

As the article stated, Samoa has some of the largest people on the planet. This policy makes sense. Again, IMHO.

wai2.gif

Mind, next step the average weight will become a standard weight of 75 kilo, and the standard height 175 cm

Quite simple, this is another move of those money grabbers to steal more from travellers.

Oh don't be daft...there is a difference in making more money from travelers..and making money from fattie travelers. I personally wouldn't even let them on the plane if they were obese, rather put them in with the luggage. Same applies for small children and Indians smelly people.

Edited by therealmrbrightside

If fat blokes have to buy 2 seats on a plane, will they be served double helpings? Just asking. rolleyes.gif

What a silly question! If one buys two seats, then yes one is surely entitled to receive whatever the fare includes. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

wai2.gif

"Come off the grass" height has nothing to do with it. The point is, why does a person have to share part of her/his seat space with someone else because they are fat. If they are fat and overflowing their payed territory, then they should buy extra room, just like with overweight baggage. Talking about tall persons is just absolute stupidity.

• Like 1

If fat blokes have to buy 2 seats on a plane, will they be served double helpings? Just asking. rolleyes.gif

What a silly question! If one buys two seats, then yes one is surely entitled to receive whatever the fare includes. coffee1.gif

Agree, but fat farts are registered, in-flight by high tech seat sniffers for fare reductions to the healthy,, so BEWARE. laugh.png

I boarded an overnight B777 flight to BKK and I had a window seat in the very back row. The aircraft was just about to push back from the terminal, and the seat next to me was vacant, so I thought EXCELLENT I would have the two seats to lay down and sleep later on.

The last passenger to board was a Michelin tyre woman, musta weighed 130kg. To my horror, she waddled all the way down the aisle and plopped herself in the seat next to me. Her rolls of fat took up much more than just her own seat, and I was squashed up against the window. I was disgusted coz instead of getting two seats, I ended up with only half of one.

I may stand corrected here, but I don't think any of the airline booking websites mention anything about obese people having to purchase two tickets, and coz there is no obligation, how many of them would do so voluntarily? I think not many.

Check in staff probably didn't say anything to her coz it's politically incorrect, so they just found a seat for her well away from the emergency exits etc. Right down the back next to me. Worst flight I have ever experienced.

I am sure i would have sat quietly throughout the flight and said nothing. sick.gif

SIZE mate.....SIZE , not nationality. Don't ya know that there are many many small farang. Its the big fat ones we are concerned with...........geeeze!