Why Do Thai Woman Put Towels On Every Floor

muythai2013

I have never experienced this habit in the hundreds of houses, apartments and rooms I have either lived in or visited in LOS

Same here.

Never ever even heard about this.

Makes me wonder what type of circle OP has.

My wife is almost obsessed with clean floors, tidiness, etc.

I sometimes call her Monica, after the caracter in the sit com series Friends.

they put them on clean floors, you should read all, your a bit thick.

Never seen mats unless to be sit on inside.

As for my wife,

she think it doesnt look tidy.

Obsessed with making sure all is clean.

You are right, im getting a bit thick (fat) after i stopped smoking.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend cleans the floor and never once have I seen her lay a towel down, sounds like laziness to me lol

That's my excuse.

Never had a Thai woman in my place and yet I have a towel on each room's floor. I use them to clean the bottom of my feet before I track grime into bed with me, to stand on when I get out of the shower, and to clean up spills and the shower water and sweat that drips off me while I'm drying off with... another towel..

Then they go into the washing machine when they get dirty. Eezy peezy.

I can clean my floor twice a day and it's still dusty within a few hours so the towels are handy. I've used rags before, but they look like rags. A towel can actually be mistaken for a proper implement.

But make no mistake, it's because I'm lazy...

• Like 2

I could also propose that women sometimes leave out breath mints and deodorant when certain of their boyfriends are coming over.

Perhaps they're trying to tell the OP to clean his feet before he climbs into the nice clean sheets?

Not much spoils the moment like rolling around in sheets made gritty with toe cheese and fumunda dust.

Edited by impulse

someone gets it, they put them on floors that are clean, shoes are taken off, and feet are all looked after because the majority of people who enter are fighters so the feet are well looked after.

It is a quick and easy way to prevent and clean up spills on tile floors before people slip. Normally placed between wet and dry areas such as kitchen/LR or Bath and other rooms.

one thing I have noticed is Thai people keep there homes very clean.

"...one thing I have noticed is Thai people keep there homes very clean."

LOL LOL you obviously have not been in many Thai homes.

Have seen this in several Thai houses and in Vietnam. I would not say it is in the majority but certainly does exist. I changed my wife from towels to mats right at the start. The justification for using towels as opposed to mats was, they are easier to wash and dry.

The swallows and martins are a group of

passerine birds in the family Hirundinidae which are characterised by

their adaptation to aerial feeding.

Further: African Swallows stay in Africa European ones migrate to and from Africa,they all carry Coconuts for a drink when they are thirsty.

European swallows are rich. They do not carry coconuts they use Mastercard to buy them.
  • Like 1

Aside from the mat at the door, I've only seen this in bathrooms and kitchens.

Same places I see the practice carried out in America.

If it's the result of someone thinking about cleaning up a spill, and then wandering away with the towel still on the floor, you may have married my ex-wife (not Thai).

I have never experienced this habit in the hundreds of houses, apartments and rooms I have either lived in or visited in LOS

Same here, being here for almost 2 decades and travelled all over the country, have never noticed this.

Can't say that I have either in my 7 years here. Lived with 2 different ladies but like another poster said, we had a maid come to clean twice a week.

how do you know its all Thai women that do this, maybe its only yours, get her a maid...

My wife also does this, I think when you have a tiled floor, the least bit of water is very slippery, and if any water or liquid is spilled on the floor, the wife puts her foot on the towel and drags it over the spillage, or if the spillage is further away, she just picks up the towel and dries the floor. I know, I have often done it often myself. do Thai women put the towels on a wooden floor?

It is a quick and easy way to prevent and clean up spills on tile floors before people slip. Normally placed between wet and dry areas such as kitchen/LR or Bath and other rooms.

someone gets it, they put them on floors that are clean, shoes are taken off, and feet are all looked after because the majority of people who enter are fighters so the feet are well looked after.

Oh yes...

The floor

Most Thais I've met are significantly tidier than me, though that's not a big challenge. My gf starts each day by gently sweeping the ants out of her house/shop ... wouldn't want to step on the buggers. Literally wouldn't kill a fly ... or a roach ... even in the house. Guess I'm relatively safe then... whistling.gif

Why ask a question in a new thread when you already know the answer..

not so much a question as a discussion, thats what we do here isnt it.

No, we pick apart each and every new topic hoping it causes arguements, seems that way to me. :)

• Like 2

Most Thais I've met are significantly tidier than me, though that's not a big challenge. My gf starts each day by gently sweeping the ants out of her house/shop ... wouldn't want to step on the buggers. Literally wouldn't kill a fly ... or a roach ... even in the house. Guess I'm relatively safe then... :whistling:

Only if you are ranked higher than an Ant, Fly or Cockroach. :)

obviously i have many thai friends who do it to, thats why it's not just mine.aid...

every friend I know does it, every thai relative, every thai freinds wives.

I should of remembered to spell things out here. not all just the dozens I know.

ok...but the advice still stands...if this keeps you awake at night employ a maid....thumbsup.gif

more serious stuff gets deleted, so i will stick to stuff like this.

where to by milk etc etc, the stuff you guys seem to get right into.

Since we're onto milk, let's talk about straws. What are we going to do about the flagrant over-strawing? Any bottle of liquid attracts a handful of straws at the store counter. Last night I bought several 1.5 litre bottles of water at 7-11. They inflicted straws on me, which went straight back into their little box on the counter. Who drinks water from a big bottle with a straw? Okay, we might want to be the first. What about large bottles of plain milk? Who buys that to drink from the bottle? But unless you execute a blocking maneuver, you'll get a fistful of straws. What's the solution, TV people?!

you have never seen it, and i have never failed to see it, and you say you been in hundreds, your focus must be heavily on something else, lol.

Been here 16 years, travelled many places in LOS and i too have never seen it. I have a mat and towel outside each of my bathrooms, for obvious reasons.

how do you know its all Thai women that do this, maybe its only yours, get her a maid...

obviously i have many thai friends who do it to, thats why it's not just mine.

>how do you know its all Thai women that do this, maybe its only yours, get her a m

aid...

every friend I know does it, every thai relative, every thai freinds wives.

I should of remembered to spell things out here. not all just the dozens I know.

ok...but the advice still stands...if this keeps you awake at night employ a maid....thumbsup.gif

Actually a fairly entertaining response.

I dont drink milk any more...so wouldnt know

yes milk is for baby cows not for me

Many of the replies here seem to be based on personal generalizations ("this is what I've seen, so that's how it is"), and there's nothing wrong with that if they're taken as such.

That said, let me add my own observation, if I may: most homes are swept regularly to keep dust and dirt out of the traffic areas - at the very least - and that eliminates the need for a towel or mat to wipe your feet on, assuming you're not wearing your shoes into the house (the horror!). As a matter of comfort that doesn't need explaining here I tend to wear socks indoors outside of the hong nam so I appreciate something on the floor that dries my feet when I come out to swap my towel for clothes.

Anything other than that (i.e. other places in the home other than maybe directly inside the front door) I'd guess to be either an affectation from exposure to Western ways, or a personal preference. I have friends and acquaintances from Lo- to Hi-so and I rarely see towels or floor mats in use in their homes... but again, that's just my observation, too.

Working outside with flip flops or barefoot, you can't clean your feet on a door mat, I always look for the towel or in our case bath mat when I come in (without flip flops, you do take your shoes off when you enter a house, don't you?). Of course if you don't do any work and wear socks under your flip flops? sandals one wouldn't realise this.

Thai version of carpet case closed.

Edited by rbrooks