Is Your Wife/girl Friend Capable To Pronounce English Sounds Properly/easily?

Tchooptip

I find many times its because they do not pronounce the ending of the words and speak English using Thai rules, it doesn't work. Much the same as when I try and learn Thai and apply English rules, bloody frustrating !

What do you mean by applying English rules for Thai, why would you do that?

It's called getting it wrong and it's why i struggle with the language.

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umbrella is a good one. Told to get the camera I came back with the umbrella.

Umbrella and brown, frog (flog)

My all time favourite was "circus paradise" in Queensland Australia.

She knows Surfers Paradise better then you.

• Like 2

I find many times its because they do not pronounce the ending of the words and speak English using Thai rules, it doesn't work. Much the same as when I try and learn Thai and apply English rules, bloody frustrating !

What do you mean by applying English rules for Thai, why would you do that?

One reason can be the same reason that Thai's can have problems speaking English. They often learn by having English words transliterated into Thai, the problem with that is English uses different sounds and rules but Thai's will apply the Thai rules. When it's done the other way around and Thai is transliterated into English it creates similar problems. Think Singha beer, the correct pronunciation is closer to "sing".

• Like 1

All these perfect Thai speakers expect so much from their beloved it seems ;-)

I don't speak Thai and refuse to learn, so stop making assumptions about everyone (TV disease) You would have to be extremely ignorant to assume everyone in this thread is learning Thai and can't speak Thai properly.

Thai people cannot pronounce the -V- sound. It's not within their Thai vocabulary, therefore they have never learnt how to say it. They can do it with practice but it takes time.

But yeah... That's my 2 cents. I am female and I don't date a Thai woman. smile.png

And that brings up another transliteration peculiarity, the fondness in using it when putting Thai into English, think "sukhumvit" pronounced "sukhumwit". As for poor old Vijit, doubt he hardly ever hears his name pronounced correctly by farangs smile.png

• Like 1

Thai people cannot pronounce the -V- sound. It's not within their Thai vocabulary, therefore they have never learnt how to say it. They can do it with practice but it takes time.

But yeah... That's my 2 cents. I am female and I don't date a Thai woman. smile.png

And that brings up another transliteration peculiarity, the fondness in using it when putting Thai into English, think "sukhumvit" pronounced "sukhumwit". As for poor old Vijit, doubt he hardly ever hears his name pronounced correctly by farangs smile.png

And many foreigners up these parts complain when Thais don't understand where they're going - Khon Kaen, Kalasin etc.

I know guys that have been here for years(as they can't read Thai) and don't say it properly - Khon Gaen, Galasin.

Her English is fine, her minor was English and her major was Italian. She had to do her Masters in English as well.

But there are a few wonders here and there, such as spit and split getting interchanged. My ex interchanged these two words as well, and her degrees were in English and TESOL.

No matter how much education or experience someone has, if it's not their native language, there will be differences. :shrug:

fortunately i married a woman with quite good English, I dont have to speak slow or in baby talk.

I am not very patient, I would make a terrible English teacher.

But I'm sure when your missus makes mistakes its quite fun and amusing at times.

yes my wife speaks very good english ,but then she did live in the UK with me for 7 years and learnt english in school. before .

yes my wife speaks very good english ..............

"Yes, my wife speaks English very well."......obviously a bit better than you...??

• Like 1

Oh for the love of god. Yes let´s share how bad our wives/girlfriends are. Yes let's share that with strangers here. A question though... If their level is as bad as you are when it comes to Thai language... what does that say about you?

Oh for the love of god. Yes let´s share how bad our wives/girlfriends are. Yes let's share that with strangers here. A question though... If their level is as bad as you are when it comes to Thai language... what does that say about you?

Are you suggesting there is something 'bad' about my wife purely based on her ability to speak English and something 'good' about someones wife/gf who speaks English well?

Actually, my Thai ability and my wife's English ability are getting very close.

Go on, tell us about your wife/gf and you'll be a little less of a stranger.

Are you suggesting there is something 'bad' about my wife purely based on her ability to speak English and something 'good' about someones wife/gf who speaks English well?

Actually, my Thai ability and my wife's English ability are getting very close.

Go on, tell us about your wife/gf and you'll be a little less of a stranger.

No matter how you put it, we are all strangers and expect for those I meet, I wouldn´t blur it out here on TV. Thai culture is exceptional when it comes to certain things but I treat my wife the same I would have treated one back in the west. If you can´t do that, it tells more about you than it does about me :)

Another grumpy ol', tiny man, with the TV disease. No one is talking about the Thai language here, so go away.

Edited by Jayroo
  • Like 1

>Oh for the love of god. Yes let´s share how bad our wives/girlfriends are. Yes let's share that with strangers here. A question though... If their level is as bad as you are when it comes to Thai language... what does that say about you?

Another grumpy ol', tiny man, with the TV disease. No one is talking about the Thai language here, so go away.

biggrin.png Sorry but I fear I´m younge than you and I wasn´t talking about Thai language either. Read carefully and as you may have noticed, the text is in English. Perhaps you need more lessons pal

If she is learning from your written work, as opposed to orally, she hasn't got a hope in hell..

Your grammar is horrendous.... It actually hurt my eyes and brain attempting to read and understand your OP...

Is English your 1st language?

If she is learning from your written work, as opposed to orally, she hasn't got a hope in hell..

Your grammar is horrendous.... It actually hurt my eyes and brain attempting to read and understand your OP...

As good as those who claim they are from Australia, US and England. Hows your Thai? coffee1.gif

>Oh for the love of god. Yes let´s share how bad our wives/girlfriends are. Yes let's share that with strangers here. A question though... If their level is as bad as you are when it comes to Thai language... what does that say abou

t you?

biggrin.png Sorry but I fear I´m younge than you and I wasn´t talking about Thai language either. Read carefully and as you may have noticed, the text is in English. Perhaps you need more lessons pal

What? look at your quoted text, "Thai language" what have you been smoking?

As good as those who claim they are from Australia, US and England. Hows your Thai? coffee1.gif

Hmmm, touchy this one is...

The post was in response to the OP, as I clearly stated....

Enjoy your cuppa.. Give it another stir if you want....

my thai is terrible, really really terrible considering the huge amount of time i spent in Thailand with just Thai people.

Been really slack when it comes to languages, I will never learn i'm just to lazy and unmotivated.

My wifes English is great and that makes me even less interested in trying.

Hmmm, touchy this one is...

The post was in response to the OP, as I clearly stated....

Enjoy your cuppa.. Give it another stir if you want....

My apologies, your post came right after Jayroo's. Obviously conspiracy thoughts do occur :D

my thai is terrible, really really terrible considering the huge amount of time i spent in Thailand with just Thai people.

Been really slack when it comes to languages, I will never learn i'm just to lazy and unmotivated.

My wifes English is great and that makes me even less interested in trying.

To be honest, the thought of teaching my wife English never occured to me. Not because that she already speaks well but because she´s my wife. Horrors if I were to correct her.blink.png

Edited by maxme

And is your Thai pronunciation correct?

And how many Thai words do you know, and do you know the correct tones for the words, and can you verbalize the tones corectly?

And is your English spelling improving?

And when you talk about your wife's pronunciation, do you mean compared to typical UK or US pronunciation? or?

My wife spoke some english when we met and could read and write it as well . She had the common mistakes all thais have with english words . After living and working in the US for 6 years she speaks very well and has most of the prounciations correct . But I think the hardest part are the english words that are far from anything a Thai knows or understands . There are many that can read and type but have no idea how to say the words ...

Just for fun, I have decided to 'mark' this attempt at the correct, as opposed to the wife's incorrect, usage of the English language... I am changing nothing in the original quote, simply highlighting where the OP has shown his lack of some basics regards the language..

Yes this title is a question! - All ok here, although it lulled me into a false sense of security..

Sometimes I wonder: is my (dear) wife only, incapable of pronouncing an English sound she have heard once or twice? - Punctuation, grammar where does the horror end....!!! sound she Have heard?? <deleted>!?!?!

She speaks not to bad (for a Thai people), or at least she has for sure a good vocabulary, many time I am impressed, wah you know this word! Yes - Now we can add spelling (2 o's in too, as per usage here!!), we have the perfect trifecta!!! many time? missing the plural. wah?? can't even start to determine what this was supposed to be...

She learns regularly, mainly by listening to different speaking softwares, the problem seems to be her ear. It seems very hard for her to repeat "some" English sounds properly at first hearing ? On the other hand fortunately some are perfect ??? - Hmmm, I'm willing to let this sentence slide, although software is singular AND plural..!!!

examples: It is fi (ve) o'clock I tell her no darling not fi, fi ve. - Again, letting this slide, as I believe he is attempting to show how his wife 'murders' the English language... Oh, the irony is palpable..!!!!

I like this becomes I ly this, no darling li...ke OK OK ... and she repeats I lise...no not lise, like... - See above..

For sweet: she does not put sugar in her coffee, because I don't ly swiss not good for poumpouill - At a complete loss as to what is being attempted here..

Yesterday I had to give a call to Thai airways in Suratthani to postpone my departure, you speak english said I Yes of course was the answer...the conversation was acceptable to the point my asking can you confirmed by email? yes Sir... ... It seems she was incapable to repeat after me my email, geo: djee ee o ar , the girl was incapable to understand the spelling, five minutes later... I did not lost my temper so she asked me do you have a Thai people I could speak to not far, yes of course! - You MAKE a call, not GIVE a call. Gloss over the punctuation annihilation, You ask someone to CONFIRM, not CONFIRMED. You LOSE temper, not LOST temper.

She finished the conversation with my wife. And yes I received my email properly :-)

My wife's daughter she went to school longer than my wife, she is 23 works for a aesthetic surgeon, surf the internet in English...so she can read, but... she is almost incapable to "speak" a single sentence...mai kodjai ! -

What is your experience? - I am now losing the will to live....

PS: it does not get on my nerves at all, it is part of my wife's charms, for she have many biggrin.png - HAS, not HAVE!!! <deleted>.. I give up.....

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All I can say is this. With a 'teacher' such as yourself guiding your good lady through the minefield of the English language, I find it wholly believable that the reason she does not pronounce some words correctly should be a question you should ask of yourself, as opposed to asking of others.

• Like 1