Retirement Today At Jomtien

Well I have to give Jomtien Immigration kudos for their efficency. Arrived at 1pm today to do my 1 year extension based on retirement. Received my number from the Thai officer at the front given to me with a pleasant smile. I only waited for 5 minutes before being called. A young lady checked my papers which were all in order.

1. Proof of income letter.

2. Application form TM7 filled out with one photo attached.

3. Copy of Passport face page.

4. Copies of 2 more Passport pages with Arrival card on one.

5. Copy of my electric bill for my condo.

Gave her the 1900 baht and told to sit down and wait.

6. 5 minutes later received my number to pick up passport tomorrow after 10am.

All in all a wonderful experience.

• Like 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proof of residence - could be many things.

In all the years I've renewed my Retirement Visa in BKK I was never asked to provide a Proof of Residence.

This is a first for me !!

Do they really want to see one in Jomtien ?

Proof of residence - could be many things.

In all the years I've renewed my Retirement Visa in BKK I was never asked to provide a Proof of Residence.

This is a first for me !!

Do they really want to see one in Jomtien ?

Yes.

• Like 1

Almost all will require this as that is what determines where you are allowed to apply.

I'm doing my first extension application based on retirement tomorrow. In lieu of a utlitily bill, can I provide a copy of my lease contract as proof of where I live? I pay the utlilities, but they're in the landlord's name. Only other thing I would have is my internet bill, but that's in my wife's name. So, if they need something to show my address, I hope a copy of my lease will work as that is in my name.

Forgot to add: I'm doing this in Jomtien as well just to be clear.

Edited by PatDon

Almost all will require this as that is what determines where you are allowed to apply.

Was not asked for any proof of address when I did my latest retirement extension at Maptaput last July. And, in previous years, the wife's blue house book has sufficed for this purpose - we haven't even been asked for our marriage certificate for dot-joining purposes!

Bit of a poor do IMHO, though, that you have to return to Jomtien the next day for your stamped passport - particularly as this flies in the face of the legal requirement for us farangs to have our passports on us at all times. Mercifully Maptaput have always, to date, stamped my passport there and then without the need for any further visit.

I have one other question if I may. I arrived in country in January, with my 90 day non-imm O visa expiring on 17 April. As I'm within two weeks of that date, when I go in tomorrow to submit my application for extension of stay, does that automatically count as my 90 day report? Or, is that a totally separate process that I need to do with some other type of form and at a date closer to 17 April? I just wanted to be sure whether I needed to fill out another form or not while at Immigration.

Thank you!

You do not do 90 day reports on a 90 day visa entry as you will not be here longer than 90 days. Your first extension of stay application will be a 90 day report so 90 days later you do the first one using the normal TM.47 form.

You do not do 90 day reports on a 90 day visa entry as you will not be here longer than 90 days. Your first extension of stay application will be a 90 day report so 90 days later you do the first one using the normal TM.47 form.

Thank you for your reply and information. I'm a rookie at this with it being my first time going through this process, so just wanted to be sure I was doing things right.

...the legal requirement for us farangs to have our passports on us at all times...

Please let's not go off topic with a discussion of this. Instead, go to this other topic where this subject has been examined and debated at great length: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566309-carrying-passport-with-you/

Nice to hear about reports that go smoothly without officials looking for baht.

If you have been asked for a pay off at immigration give us some info. I have reported at Chiang mai for 3 years never a request for money and at Bangkok Immigration and not a request there either.

Just blowing smoke I think

• Like 2

Phuket immigration,

never been asked for proof of residence

never been asked for a "tip"

plus u get the visa and ur re enrty permits in ( last year) less than 30 minutes

all depends if they are busy or not and as i do mine end of June they are never busy

I have been extending my visa based on retirement at Jomtien for nearly ten years and never been asked for money. It's really very simple.

1. Have the right documents

2. Smile.

3. Dress reasonably.

4. Smile.

5. Be polite.

Oh, and smile.

I seem to manage perfectly well just with (1) and without making any special effort to be more polite or smiling than I normally am.

As for dress, it's shorts and a tshirt everywhere for me. If I'm not acceptable in a place wearing my usual clothes then I just dont bother going there. In fact I find it hard to imagine where in Thailand I might want to go to that I couldnt go to in shorts and a tshirt.

• Like 1

I have one other question if I may. I arrived in country in January, with my 90 day non-imm O visa expiring on 17 April. As I'm within two weeks of that date, when I go in tomorrow to submit my application for extension of stay, does that automatically count as my 90 day report? Or, is that a totally separate process that I need to do with some other type of form and at a date closer to 17 April? I just wanted to be sure whether I needed to fill out another form or not while at Immigration.

Thank you!

NO, YOU HAVE TO GO TO THAT DIFFERENT DESK FOR 90 DAY REPORT! I thought just renewing my yearly was enough..... wrong answer, when I returned 90 days later the sweet smiling officer said 2000b baht for not reporting, when I showed him I was there(Jomtien Imigration Office), he said nope, 2000b. When I asked to see his Supervisor, He said 2000b or I could charge you 2000b per day, up to you. (20apr08)

Edited by BigSkip

The poster is correct - the first application for extension of stay counts as your first 90 day report - 90 days later you will do your first actual report using a TM.47 (if you do not travel out of Thailand before then). Renewing is not a report.

The poster is correct - the first application for extension of stay counts as your first 90 day report - 90 days later you will do your first actual report using a TM.47 (if you do not travel out of Thailand before then). Renewing is not a report.

I went to Immigration in Jomtien today. Arrived at 0830, with the place full and a line going outside. Even with all the people, once I was given my number, I noticed only five were ahead of me. It took about 20 minutes for my number to come up. I presented the lady with all my documents. Only thing she said to me was, "Do you have Thai bank account?" I told her that I did not. She said nothing further. She handed my documents and passport to another gentleman who gave me a red number tag and said for me to come back after 3pm. I went back after 3pm and was handed my passport with the extension approved.

Regarding the 90 day reporting, I did notice the desks for that. I also noticed at the very back of my passport they stapled some papers on one of the pages. It clearly had on it a date stamp for today, and another stamp stating 2 July when I need to report back in by.

One last thing I'm curious about. My income letter was from the US Embassy. When the lady asked me whether I had a Thai bank account, I quickly thought to myself, "I don't need one". My monthly income meets all the requirements. The thing is, I have tried to open a Thai bank account, but none would do it for me. All banks told me the same thing: I have to have my extension approved first; that I couldn't open a bank account on just my 90 day non-imm O visa.

Banks lie - you do not need an extension of stay to open an account - but you may have to visit more than one branch (even same bank one may open and another not due to personal/manager). At any rate believe you will find having an account to be worth while.

In years of doing my retirement extensions in BKK, I don't believe they've ever asked me for proof of residence.

I've always brought something with me, because of the periodic reports on that that seem to surface elsewhere. But never been asked to show thus far.

That said, the rules/practices for one Immigration office aren't necessarily the same as those at all the others. YMMV.

Banks lie - you do not need an extension of stay to open an account - but you may have to visit more than one branch (even same bank one may open and another not due to personal/manager). At any rate believe you will find having an account to be worth while.

The banks may very well be lieing, but they were all consistent in their reason given as to why they couldn't open an account for me. I went to Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, Kasikorn Bank, and Krunthai Bank. At every one of those, they all said the same thing - that as of the first of this year, they required an extension of stay before allowing an account to be opened. A 90 day non-imm O wasn't enough for each of those banks.

I have my extension now, so I should be okay if I decide to open a Thai bank account.