Facebook: Nothing But Trouble?

I find it hard to fathom why every single website or business has to be linked to facebook now and have a like option. Like its shoved down your throat without choice.

Thats why I too believe its more than just an innocent social networking site. They are watching us. The sheep have fallen for it. Half the world are walking round on it on their smartphones. They don't look where they walk down the street whilst gazing into their smackberrys..sorry blackberrys or high phones...sorry iphones..

• Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to fathom why every single website or business has to be linked to facebook now and have a like option. Like its shoved down your throat without choice.

I could be wrong but IMO the like feature is there

to opt you into their news/updates

They no longer have to spam everyone in cyber world in the hopes of hitting someone

truly interested in their product etc.

When thought of that way it is actually a better more polite system than the old

spam email system. It is left to you to decide if you want to hear about them in your news feed.

It is easier for them because like someone mentioned about emailing so many different family members now

a business needs only do a single update & it reaches all those who clicked their like button because

they are interested in that company

Edited by mania

I use Facebook so my famy know I'm sr

Alive while traveling South east Asia by motorcycle and my children can visualize where I am,posting photos of the country

Found out about my friend who died last week

And was able to

To contact his family

I always delete my account when I'm Home

Back in my country

But fb does cause problems

Use it to your advantage

Good luck face bookers

I agree with Soutpeel, It is a great way of keeping in touch with friends. That is my only regret of deleting my profile, but looking back it isn't worth having the missus questioning every photo or comment that includes you or something you did...That and the cringe-worthy photos of what I just cooked her for tea!

You FB information is still there my friend. It is very difficult to remove an account from FB. Type in your old info, you will be brought up to date with your supposedly deleted account. It is there forever......

The article the OP refers to mainly served to demonstrate the writer's lack of knowledge about Facebnook. Quote:

"One of the problems with Facebook is that, with the exception of private
messaging, your interactions with your Facebook friends are generally
visible to all of your other friends. The moment that you “friend” a
Cambodian woman on Facebook, this event will be broadcast to all of your
other Facebook friends."

That is BS and only true if you classify everybody you interact with as a "friend". Regrettably, this is what a lot of people do and it produces a hopeless amount of clutter on your Facebook News Feed. You can very easily create categories such as "close friends", foreign friends", Cambodian friends", "family", "work friends" etc and and set your privacy settings so that specific content addressed or received from such groups is ONLY seen by the people in these categories.

Go here if you want to learn more about privacy settings:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8F0MN6

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of people are using facebook without having gone to the trouble of learning how to use all of the options.

It is not for everybody, but it can be very helpful, particularly the poker smile.png

I used to make money selling the Texas Holdem chips via ebay and never once got found out about my multiple affairs...thumbsup.gif

I since learned from my mistakes and now use it mainly for more profitable reasons .

If you wish to remove data from your profile, simply 'remove' it using the Edit/remove option. It will not return whether or not your deactivate and reactivate your account.

Edited by chonabot

Why do anyone need a facebook-account?? whistling.gif To share your pathetic lives with the rest of the world!

What purpose does it serve?

So I can post pics and little ditties about what I'm doing in Thailand. My kids (in UK) do the same and I get to stay a little more involved in what's going on with my family back home.

What was the question?

As soon as you set it up go into the security settings and set every single choice to "Only Me". Because if yo don't the advertisements and SPAM will over whelm you. Then and only then do you start changing the settings to more friendly ones. Trust me on this. FB has so many security holes its unbelievable. They want you to be friends with every one in the world. Including people for whatever personal reasons, you have cut ties with. FB seems to think you are going to be friends again!

Why do anyone need a facebook-account?? whistling.gif To share your pathetic lives with the rest of the world!

What purpose does it serve?

I use it to get vicarious enjoyment from the pathetic lives of my acquaintances, since my own is so dull as to be not worth publishing on facebook.

Also to keep abreast of what friends and former colleagues are doing in whatever part of the world they are in now.

SC

• Like 1

Seems to me to be a lot of hot air about nothing. If you keep your "friends" to people you actually know, then FB can be a good tool. I use FB mainly for photo sharing and to let my far flung family know what country I might happen to now be in.

My friends/family and I post very little so it is not intrusive.

I believe that those with Twitter are far more into broadcasting every moment of their boring lives.

Deleted my FB account shortly after seeing 'The Social Network' a couple of years back and haven't missed it. Felt a similar sense of relief to changing mobiles a year or so later - all I have to do now is change my name and I'll be ready to move into that shack in Tasmania. Now, where did I leave that tinfoil sombrero ?

Facebook is about a bunch of morons who like to display to the world their beautiful, most cleverest, most talented children in the universe, how they have succeeded in life way above everyone else, what a great time they’re having and how outgoing and contemptible they can be.

The reality is, that these are not persons of any true character, have lost all confidence in themselves and have lost the skills of interaction with real people in the real world. If not posing on facebook, I very much doubt if anyone would be interested in their exploits within their alleged perfect worlds.

It is all as fake as fake can be.

Welcome to the modern world.

4052 posts on an anomynous forum later!!!

It appears that farcebook users have a low standard of education and cannot spell.

ANONYMOUS.

A-NONY-MOUS.

It is fact that many farcebook users are nomies and also displays the low levels of intelligence of those who liked your post.

Would anyone like to join them on farcebook? I don’t think so.

Facebook is about a bunch of morons who like to display to the world their beautiful, most cleverest, most talented children in the universe, how they have succeeded in life way above everyone else, what a great time they’re having and how outgoing and contemptible they can be.

The reality is, that these are not persons of any true character, have lost all confidence in themselves and have lost the skills of interaction with real people in the real world. If not posing on facebook, I very much doubt if anyone would be interested in their exploits within their alleged perfect worlds.

It appears that farcebook users have a low standard of education and cannot spell.

ANONYMOUS.

A-NONY-MOUS.

It is fact that many farcebook users are nomies and also displays the low levels of intelligence of those who liked your post.

yeah the red squiggly line told me that i'd spelt it wrongly, if i'd corrected it you wudda had xxxx all to post about.

ANONYMOUS.

A-NONY-MOUS.

yeah the red squiggly line told me that i'd spelt it wrongly, if i'd corrected it you wudda had xxxx all to post about.

wudda had xxxx? Never hears of such words whares ids come frum.

Is this some sort of facebook slang, or have you been watching too many old episodes of, The Beverly Hillbillies?

• Like 1

I set up a FB page with a fake name & an email address that was given to no-one I know.

It has no photos of people or anything that can be connected to me.

The list of 'people you could know' FB sends out to encourage linking regularly contains 8 - 10 people that I do know.

If I haven't used any even remotely identifiable details, and details that no-one I know could know, how does FB generate a list containing so many people that I do know from a DB of supposedly multi-millions of people?

The email being used has no people listed in the contacts, and does not connect to any of my regular email accounts.

All I can put it down to is some variant of spyware used by FB.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Like 1

I set up a FB page with a fake name & an email address that was given to no-one I know.

The list of 'people you could know' FB sends out to encourage linking regularly contains 8 - 10 people that I do know.

If I haven't used any even remotely identifiable details, and details that no-one I know could know, how does FB generate a list containing so many people that I do know from a DB of supposedly multi-millions of people?

The email being used has no people listed in the contacts, and does not connect to any of my regular email accounts.

Anyone got any ideas?

Are your age and location entered crrectly

work or schooling?

Maybe using the same machine and having to do something with the other facebook cookies?

otherwise, it's tinfoil hat time :(

Anyone got any ideas?

Most likely its information you entered. For instance, if you put where you work/worked it will seek out others that worked there too. Its all about the information you provide to them.

and multi-millions you say? not even close!

1.06 billion monthly active users (MAU) as of December 31, 2012

I agree with Soutpeel, It is a great way of keeping in touch with friends. That is my only regret of deleting my profile, but looking back it isn't worth having the missus questioning every photo or comment that includes you or something you did...That and the cringe-worthy photos of what I just cooked her for tea!

OP, you need to think like the Thai woman. You must have at least 3 FB accounts. Different circles of friends get to see different stuff.

How can any westerner think like a Thai.

Funny how most of you that are against facebook seem like your back in the past ranting about how you hate technology. The fact is that its a tool that can bring family and friends closer together while we live out our dreams over here in the LoS. Just embrace the technology we have and be thankful that we have such brilliant ways of connecting with people.

It's worse than the telephone, so it is.

Funny how most of you that are against facebook seem like your back in the past ranting about how you hate technology. The fact is that its a tool that can bring family and friends closer together while we live out our dreams over here in the LoS. Just embrace the technology we have and be thankful that we have such brilliant ways of connecting with people.

True to a point.

Social networking can be a useful faculty and beneficial if it is used as just that; a form of communication technology.

The problems arise when participating in social networking becomes an addiction and a mainstream of people`s lives. There are those who would be unable to delete their FB accounts, almost affined with drug taking, smoking or drinking for many. These people`s lives are lacking in real social skills and because of this, online social networking is in many cases their only means to communicate and interact outside of their boxed mundane lifestyles.

• Like 1

FaceBook or FarceBook as many call it should be shut down. It has caused more divorces and international problems than it is worth. It should be banned.

This highlights the problem with the world: take the easy way out and blame everything but the root cause of our problems.

Edited by bangkockney

what is a facebook?

It is kind of like a cyber version of Thailand.

Folks either love it for what it offers or blame every conceivable problem on it.

How it is run, what type of people inhabit it etc. etc. etc. wink.png

• Like 1

what is a facebook?

Folks either love it for what it offers or blame every conceivable problem on it.

Like this app Line that i have been more or less forced to install.

If i fail to comunicate the right sticker back to my gf an avalanche of drivel floods my phone as result.

• Like 1

what is a facebook?

Like this app Line that i have been more or less forced to install.

If i fail to comunicate the right sticker back to my gf an avalanche of drivel floods my phone as result.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif been there biggrin.png

• Like 1