Thai Girl Nick Name "kik" ? Meaning?

SVS

She says her Thai nick name "Kik" dose not have any meaning. But that is not the Thai tradition. She was born and raised in Bangkok till ten years old then moved to north GA. USA. Any help with a meaning here greatly appreciated. What is she trying to hide? rolleyes.gif

She said it is spelled Kik and is pronounced as it is spelled. This, the spelling and the pronunciation are confirmed by her father, brother,and his girl friend. Kik sounds like hi said short and sharp. Help anyone, Please

• 2 weeks later...

She is only trying to hide her real name from any ghosts that may want to hurt her.

That is why all Thais have nick-names, to confuse the ghosts.....not joking, the nick-name is usually a trait that the person exhibits, but not always. Family members are the ones who assign the nick-name at an early age and it usually sticks with them for life.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Wow so many useless farangs here who have nothing to do and always think up of anything to be toward sex or in sexual context. YUCK

Who would want to give the nickname to yourself that really means...a sleep partner, or a F******buddy, use your commonsense a bit. people!

To the OP....sawadee ka, I'm here to help

For the nickname context...."Kik" is the short version of "kook-kik" กุ๊กกิ๊ก..... which means "CUTE", among general thais (just a slang)

and not to be confused with "kook kook kik kik" กุ๊ก ๆ กิ๊ก ๆ......which means u r flattering somone (like trying to flatter your mom to get something), or little things

Hope this helpssmile.png

• Like 1

"Kik" sounds very feminine and adorable. So it's one of popular names for baby girl. No meaning by itself.

@Rsquared Thais use Pali/Sansakrit (hi-so languages in my opinion) as full name that's usually very long. That's why we have nick name. Not to confuse any ghost.

Edited by Nuna

KIK กิ๊ก has a recent slang meaning of a casual gf/bf.

I always thought a casual partner was a GIK

There's no g in Thai, it's an unaspirated k so it sounds like a g but it isn't voiced. Since there is an aspirated version of the k which sounds very similar to an English k, the unaspirated k is often transliterated as a g to avoid confusion but formally it's a k (and the aspirated k is transliterated kh).

• Like 1

Wow so many useless farangs here who have nothing to do and always think up of anything to be toward sex or in sexual context. YUCK

Who would want to give the nickname to yourself that really means...a sleep partner, or a F******buddy, use your commonsense a bit. people!

To the OP....sawadee ka, I'm here to help

For the nickname context...."Kik" is the short version of "kook-kik" กุ๊กกิ๊ก..... which means "CUTE", among general thais (just a slang)

and not to be confused with "kook kook kik kik" กุ๊ก ๆ กิ๊ก ๆ......which means u r flattering somone (like trying to flatter your mom to get something), or little things

Hope this helpssmile.png

To be honest I would not chop any lady that is not cute so to me kik also has a sexual context to it, thanks for pointing this out !!

• 3 weeks later...