King's Palace Scams

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got stopped and told I couldn't enter in shorts, stupid of me I know so he led me to the port where I was offered an over priced river trip. Found another guy for half the price and had a nice hour out in the sewage strewn waters.

When I went again I was also told that I couldn't enter, there was a special event. This time we got a policeman who seemed very interested and sidled up behind the guy who was by then talking to another tourist. The cop doubtless got a backhander.

• Like 1

This is unfortunately a common issue with most tourst spots in the kingdom.

You will also find the numerous of so called official guids who will for a payment, guide around and talk about the various thigs you might see.

In the end you are meeting some vendors wanting to se you all kinds of crap.

As much as I love this place, money making is taking precedence over any other issues in the kingdom.

Even their beloved Buddhism and other, which we can not mention, take 2nd seat to money making.

• Like 1

Me and the wife got turned away for the same "shorts" reason, walked back to hotel, changed, went back and discovered the booth for covering up etc, I was fuming ! and just couldnt see the point as they hadnt tried to sell us anything, just turned us away, having a laugh at our expense.

This is an old trick. I remember about 15 years ago I was here on holiday with my Thai wife (hadn't made the move yet) and we stayed in Lai Thai as we often did back then (CM). On 2 days running the tuk tuk driver at the entrance told us that the zoo was shut for university graduation parties, but he would take us to [all the usual haunts] - as we had already been to those places many times (Bosang etc).

The second morning I was incredulous, so walked back and asked the GH staff. They assured me the zoo is always open - it would cost too much to close, and if there was graduation parties, they would simply be cordoned off. I marched back to the tuk tuk driver called him a liar (gohok) - flagged down a song taew and booked it each day for the rest of the trip (did this every time I visited after that - usually paid less than 1000 baht a day and took us anywhere we wanted, waited outside (appreciated invite to eat with us, often politely refused though), helped us with luggage/getting into places without being ripped off etc - well worth it, so in some respects crooked tuk tuk driver helped us back then!).

• Like 1

Just simply ignore , just ignore, don't be polite and engage with them just plain ignore anyone that approaches you in any tourist area and make an educated judgement to do the same thing outside tourist areas.

I agree - for all they know you don't understand them (speak English), so even real officials will likely not be offended - and con men will simply chose another marque.

You will also find the numerous of so called official guids who will for a payment, guide around and talk about the various thigs you might see.

As much as I love this place, money making is taking precedence over any other issues in the kingdom.

Even their beloved Buddhism and other, which we can not mention, take 2nd seat to money making.

Don't knock all the guides. some of them are honest and actually know their stuff. I stress *some*.

Seems pretty low to use the symbol of the Monarchy in such a selfish way.

How would a native Monarch loving Thai respond to a trick like that?

My guess is just blow it off but is there a native pox, spell or curse they would try to invoke?

Does Thai culture have them and are they common?

Seems pretty low to use the symbol of the Monarchy in such a selfish way.

How would a native Monarch loving Thai respond to a trick like that?

My guess is just blow it off but is there a native pox, spell or curse they would try to invoke?

Does Thai culture have them and are they common?

Tells you a lot doesn't it?

Has happened to me once when my dad was in town visiting, we left to get lunch and came back a few hours later and talked with some of the staff inside who gave a small laugh and told us that it had been open all day. Amazing this scam is allowed to continue, even more amazing that it actually helps anyone. Do people really go to the places these fake security guards recommend?

Don't knock all the guides. some of them are honest and actually know their stuff. I stress *some*.

Did I?

Knock them all?

This is an old ploy that you will see all over BKK.

I am quite well traveled and I have seen most scams in tourist areas over the years. But this technique appears to be unique to Thailand, or I have just been lucky everywhere else.

The scam is basically to 'poach' tourists from one attraction on the 'CLOSED TODAY' pretense, so they now have disappointed tourists in front of them with 'time on their hands'. Time to offer them an alternative of a cheap whizz around BKK where they will hopefully be relieved of cash at every stop with the guide (tuk tuk driver) on a backsheish at every one.

This is all an organized system with most of the tuk tuk drivers working for a big criminal gang, and yes... with big criminal gangs in Thailand, you won't get police assistance.

Edited by klubex99
  • Like 1

All those tourists attractions are so boring anyways, download a history channel documentary on BKK, Ankor etc.. and you get to see it all from your sofa with a commentary from someone who actually knows what he is talking about :)

• Like 1

I am not too proud to admit I fell for this trick at the exact same place 10 years ago and it really ruined my itinerary of touring in Bangkok. I can't imagine why such a disgraceful act out in the open is still allowed at such an honorable place in Thailand.

Gf is one of those official guides but she makes it clear that going to places like shops is part of the free package. No pressure to buy something but the fuel and hire of a van is often paid for by those shops. Same as her salary comes from the commission. Nothing wrong with that as long as you know that upfront.

She only does those trips sometimes when nothing else is done often booked by hotels or agencies. Sometimes she gets lucky and someone buys something and makes it worth her wile other days she just gets 500bt (not much considering travel expenses)

I got stopped and told I couldn't enter in shorts, stupid of me I know so he led me to the port where I was offered an over priced river trip. Found another guy for half the price and had a nice hour out in the sewage strewn waters.

When I went again I was also told that I couldn't enter, there was a special event. This time we got a policeman who seemed very interested and sidled up behind the guy who was by then talking to another tourist. The cop doubtless got a backhander.

He was right, you can't enter in shorts...but he left out that inside they have a booth where you can borrow clothes for free (just leave a deposit) biggrin.png

I remember going to the palace. This German tried to enter in shorts, and was stopped by a soldier who politely pointed to the sign on the wall, and then pointed at his shorts and shook his head. The German tried to push his way past, saying he was Deutche. The soldier unslung his rifle and again shook his head. The German persisted and the soldier cocked his rifle and pointed it at the guy's chest. He got the message at that point.

All those tourists attractions are so boring anyways, download a history channel documentary on BKK, Ankor etc.. and you get to see it all from your sofa with a commentary from someone who actually knows what he is talking about smile.png

Problem solved, no need to go on holiday or even leave your home ever again!

• Like 1

This week i got. "No sir, temple open in 1 hour, i take you another temple first", this happened in Uthai Thani of all places..blink.png

I went with him, later checked the "opening hours" and they were not consistent with what the driver said. I didn't bother to confront him..coffee1.gif

I just felt too relaxedsmile.png

Result:

I got to see another great temple and the driver got an extra hours' more work(and pay). Both sides were happy at the end.

we took some friends who were visiting thailand for the first time,we were with them most of the time otherwise it was the wf's brother,we were stopped outside by a man in a dark suit and what looked like a name id.arround his neck and he said the same thing as it was it was busy so we carried on walking up the road i spotted this bloke on his mobile talking to another pillock who i spotted running from the entrance to the pier,he approached us and he tried the same thing.all this has been going on for donkey's years in full view of the police

at one of the most if not the most visited places in thailand.

I reckon all tourists should be taken directly from the plane at arrivals and deposited at the Grand Palace for an hour, any who don't actually get to see the Palace or who fall for any of the other scams in the area wouldn't be allowed to holiday in Thailand. :)

Seriously though, the Grand Palace scam mix has been in full flood for twenty years or more, there used to be a guy there who'd start up conversations with tourists by claiming to be a 747 pilot for Thai Airways, the three days of stubble and his distinct lack of knowledge about planes were two easy clues, but good entertainiment neverthelss and free also!

• Like 1

IF I ever went back then ONLY with a knowledgeable guide and a day or two to spare. Otherwise it's just a huge, very hot place with so many questions that only serious scholars can answer. Impressive, but only because I understood so very little.

Come to think of it, I need a guide on Sukhumvit these days.

Edited by cooked

I am quite well traveled and I have seen most scams in tourist areas over the years. But this technique appears to be unique to Thailand, or I have just been lucky everywhere else.

If you think this scam is unique to Thailand, I doubt that you've been to many places at all.

• Like 1

Makes me sad if I hear scams like this are going on. I am about 25 years in the Kingdom and they could not do this to me, but any unsuspecting tourist may fall for the scam. Where is the Tourist Police in this case???

By the way if anyone interested, should you want to go to Wat Arun after the Kings Palace, take a Government ferry for a few Baht, Never go for anyone soliciting you to go on a boat trip or whatever especially if they are spaking English well.........these are sharks. Best is to tell them in Thai to get lost (if you can)