Luxury Hotel / Villa In Bangkok For Family Visit ....

smileplur

As some of you may know, we are expecting our first child very soon. Our son is due on April 17, so I will be a proud father in a very short time. Of course, this means the obligatory visit from family. The Thai side of things is easy to handle, as they live in the country and are accustomed to doing things the Thai way. When the Thai in-laws come to visit, they are more than happy to stay in our spare bedroom without A/C and live simply. Although it will be an adjustment for me for a few weeks, it should be relatively painless and easy. They will be here for the birth and a few weeks following to help with the initial adjustment.

My mother and a close family friend will be visiting at the end of May into the beginning of June. Here's where things get a bit more complicated. In the past, my mother has stayed in places like the Westin, Sukhumvit Sheraton Grande, and Oriental Hotels. She prefers the five star treatment. In order to maximize the amount of time she will get to spend with her new grandson, she has requested that we stay with her. Due to her dates, I am unable to take time off from work. I am fortunate in that my hours are generally light and am permitted to do most of my work from home and I am not required to do any office hours. Nonetheless, Bangkok's notorious traffic means that I would prefer to be close to my place of employment, near Klong Toey Market off of Rama IV Road.

On her last visit we happened to find a 2 Bedroom Thai Villa (House) on the grounds of the Davis Hotel on the Rama IV side of Sukhumvit Soi 24. The location is ideal. The Villa itself was spotless, spacious, quiet, and absolutely perfect. The grounds were meticulously kept with swimming pools. The breakfast was very good. On all accounts, we were very happy with our stay there.

Before booking one of these Villas again, I wanted to get some options and opinions from the community here about any similar options out there that may work for our specific requirements. It's always nice to try new things, and I have time to go and check them out should any suggestions here meet our requirements. Those requirements are as follows:

> Price: $100 - $200 (3,000 - 6,000 THB) per night. More is acceptable if quality warrants it. The price for the 2 Bedroom Villa is 6,882 THB which is acceptable for the standard of accommodation provided.

> Ground Level - In other words, no lift/elevator. My mother has been stuck for extended periods of time in elevators on two occasions in Panama which has led to an intense fear of elevators. She is okay if the elevator is glass, but she would prefer not to use one at all. She is known to climb 10-15 flights of stairs to avoid an enclosed elevator.

> Swimming Pool - The swimming pool doesn't need to be luxurious in nature, as she prefers more lounging by the pool and having a few drinks from time to time. She rarely swims in the pool for any extended amount of time.

> Car Parking - Obviously, I will need somewhere to park my car. Having the car is more to ensure that our son has a proper car seat and ample storage for the stroller, diaper bag, etc.

> Location - Close proximity to the Klong Toey area of Rama IV Road would be ideal. Traffic is horrific coming from Silom, etc. at the moment due to the construction taking place on the Thai-Belgium Friendship Bridge. I am not opposed to taking the MRT to Queen Sirikit Station or Klong Toey Station if required depending on the suggestions given.

> Room - Ideally, we would have a Villa like offered by the Davis Hotel, but I don't know of any others. I am not even sure how I found these Villas last year. It was just by chance when browsing their website. If it is not a Villa, we would prefer an adjoining two bedroom suite as opposed to two separate rooms. The idea is for grandma to be able to spend as much time as possible with her grandson in a very short amount of time in comfortable surroundings. She's been here several times to visit, so the tourist stuff isn't a primary concern for her. Spending time with the little guy is the priority.

Follow the link for an example of the Villas offered by the Davis: [Davis Hotel|http://www.davisbangkok.net/]. You will have to navigate a little bit to find the Villas, as I could not find a direct link.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to whatever suggestions you guys put forth. These are exciting times indeed, and I just want to make sure everything goes smoothly for the initial introduction between grandmother and grandson.

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in. I decided on Bangkok Forum because it seems to be where I would get the most knowledgeable responses. Feel free to move if it is more appropriate to post in the Thailand Travel Forum

Edited by smileplur