Bali Court Upholds Death Sentence For British Grandmother Lindsay Sandiford

webfact

Bali court upholds death sentence for British grandmother

DENPASAR, April 8, 2013 (AFP) - An Indonesian court on Monday upheld the death sentence handed down to a 56-year-old British grandmother found guilty of trafficking cocaine into the resort island of Bali.

A spokesman said the Bali High Court, sitting in the island’s capital Denpasar, upheld the death sentence given to Lindsay Sandiford in January, which had been a shock verdict after prosecutors recommended 15 years imprisonment.

The judges ruled the original decision of the Denpasar district court was “accurate and correct,” said spokesman Makkasau, who like many Indonesians goes by one name, adding that Sandiford would be informed of the decision as soon as possible.

Indonesian police say she was at the centre of a drugs importing ring involving three other Britons after a drugs haul worth $2.4 million was found in her suitcase as she arrived on a flight from Bangkok last May.

The high court gave her 14 days to appeal to the Supreme Court starting from the day she is informed of the verdict.

If the Supreme Court rejects her appeal, she can seek a judicial review of the decision from the same court. After that, only the president can grant her a reprieve.

Sandiford had argued that she was forced into transporting the 4.79 kilos (10.6 pounds) of cocaine in order to protect her children whose safety was at stake.

But the court ruled that she had not admitted her crime and had damaged Indonesia’s hardline stance on drugs as well as Bali’s reputation as a tourism destination.

It rejected the argument that Sandiford had acted to protect her children, and said there were “no mitigating circumstances” to allow for leniency.

British human rights charity Reprieve claimed before Sandiford was sentenced to death that she had been “exploited by drug traffickers, who targeted her because of her vulnerability and her fear for the safety of her children”.

Britain raised objections at the time of her sentencing, with junior foreign minister Hugo Swire saying: “We strongly object to the death penalty.”

London also raised concerns in February that Indonesian authorities mistreated Sandiford in prison, alleging in a submission to the Denpasar district court she was threatened with a gun and deprived of sleep.

Three other Britons arrested in connection with the case received lighter sentences.

Julian Ponder was sentenced in January to six years in jail after being found guilty of possessing 23.04 grams (0.8 ounces) of cocaine with a street value of $6,000, found in the bedroom of his luxury Bali villa.

He was arrested after receiving a package from Sandiford in a police sting mounted after she was caught with the cocaine in her suitcase.

Rachel Dougall was sentenced to 12 months for failing to report Sandiford’s crime and Paul Beales received four years for possession of 3.6 grams of hashish but was cleared of drug trafficking. They were sentenced in December.

Indonesia enforces stiff penalties for drug trafficking, but death penalty sentences are commonly commuted to long jail sentences.

Two members of an Australian drug smuggling gang known as the “Bali Nine” who were arrested in 2005 are currently on death row, while the seven others face lengthy jail terms. A French man has also been on death row since May 2007.

Executions in Indonesia are carried out by firing squad, usually at night in isolated and undisclosed locations. The country carried out its first execution for several years last month when it put to death a Malawian drug trafficker.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-04-08

Why shouldn't she be executed? When one reviews her and her family's history you discover a cess pit of criminality and drug dealing along with a multitude of other criminal and anti social offenses.

She knew the risk, she took the risk, she lost, Had she won we would have never had heard of her and her poisonous trade would have paid her yet more handsome profits tax free too,, those profits being the dividends of many ruined lives.This creature can hardly be described as a loss to the human race.

Sorry but the word sympathy lies in the dictionary twixt ''so'' and ''what'' in my view..

As he drinks another beer, ( legal drug because it's taxed by governments worldwide, any drug they can't tax is illegal).

You have been totally brainwashed by the governments of the world, their taxed drugs are good, non taxed drugs are bad., you buy into it, because you don't wanna have any stigma on your drug of choice, Alcohol, it's legal, the fact that Alcohol kills more people than all illegal drugs put together means nothing.

If I invented a drug with the same power as Alcohol, I would be put to death if I tried to sell it privately, not for anything other than, Alcohol and Tobbaco companies that are responsible for millions of deaths per year, who give massive political donations, would see me as a threat to their massive wealth.

Now how much can l make from an ounce of beer, hmmmmmmmmm, now how much can l make from an ounce of dope. Ahhhhh, yep worth the risk for some who do not want to work eh. coffee1.gif

If were legal and Taxed - what would the price be then?

• Like 1

Why shouldn't she be executed? When one reviews her and her family's history you discover a cess pit of criminality and drug dealing along with a multitude of other criminal and anti social offenses.

She knew the risk, she took the risk, she lost, Had she won we would have never had heard of her and her poisonous trade would have paid her yet more handsome profits tax free too,, those profits being the dividends of many ruined lives.This creature can hardly be described as a loss to the human race.

Sorry but the word sympathy lies in the dictionary twixt ''so'' and ''what'' in my view..

As he drinks another beer, ( legal drug because it's taxed by governments worldwide, any drug they can't tax is illegal).

You have been totally brainwashed by the governments of the world, their taxed drugs are good, non taxed drugs are bad., you buy into it, because you don't wanna have any stigma on your drug of choice, Alcohol, it's legal, the fact that Alcohol kills more people than all illegal drugs put together means nothing.

If I invented a drug with the same power as Alcohol, I would be put to death if I tried to sell it privately, not for anything other than, Alcohol and Tobbaco companies that are responsible for millions of deaths per year, who give massive political donations, would see me as a threat to their massive wealth.

Now how much can l make from an ounce of beer, hmmmmmmmmm, now how much can l make from an ounce of dope. Ahhhhh, yep worth the risk for some who do not want to work eh. coffee1.gif

If were legal and Taxed - what would the price be then?

Eeeeeeeer, don't know, but l have drunk beer and wine all my life and been no problem to anyone, but folk l know that got involved with drugs have been in trouble with everyone. Even robbing their own mother. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

It is just a waiting game,will it ever be carried out. How long does Indonessia keep people on death row.? We know that in the U.S.A it can take decades before execution. At 60 she can claim her U.K state pension,even though the likes of her never paid a penny into the pot.

This is one thing that worries me. I never let my luggage out of sight. My checked luggage, I tape sealing tags onto. If the seals were broken I'd just walk away from it and lose it. I put no self-identifying items in my checked luggage. If I'm changing planes in any foreign country or even in Bangkok, I look at the seals at my final destination. So far so good.

This is not about that woman with a history, and who got caught. She was stupid and will pay. I just don't want to be stupid and pay for something I didn't do.

Anyone who smuggles drugs for any amount of money has a lot more guts than I do.

This is one thing that worries me. I never let my luggage out of sight. My checked luggage, I tape sealing tags onto. If the seals were broken I'd just walk away from it and lose it. I put no self-identifying items in my checked luggage. If I'm changing planes in any foreign country or even in Bangkok, I look at the seals at my final destination. So far so good.

Your checked luggage is identified trough the baggage tag linked with your air ticket and passeport info.

Death penalty is revolting, and the feeling that one could pay it's way out if wealthy enough, and that only the mules and not the network headmasters are being punished does not help.

• Like 2

I don't care if she is British or a grandmother, first and foremost she is a drugsmuggler, who for money was ready to destroy other peoples lives. Let her rut in prison!

Fist of all it's rot and not rut. Secondly you seem to have missed the point. Prison is what she wants, but she'll get the death penalty.

I don't care if she is British or a grandmother, first and foremost she is a drugsmuggler, who for money was ready to destroy other peoples lives. Let her rut in prison!

Fist of all it's rot and not rut. Secondly you seem to have missed the point. Prison is what she wants, but she'll get the death penalty.
So unfortunate, drugdealer is not getting what she want's!
  • Like 1

And then there's Big Pharma - which produce drugs which kill more people than all illegal drugs combined. Not sure if pharma drugs cause more harm and deaths than alcohol. Are there any studies on that?

Eeeeeeeer, don't know, but l have drunk beer and wine all my life and been no problem to anyone, ....

So are you saying beer and wine doesn't contribute to crime and untimely deaths? I suggest you read a newspaper once in awhile. Every day there are dozens of crimes and murders stemming from imbibing alcohol.

The prison sentences in Indonesia are completely ridiculous and stand in no relation to the crime!!! One guy gets 6 years for 23 grams of cocaine and the girl gets 4 years for 3.6 grams of hashish????

3.6 grams of hashish. Jeez Louise, putting someone in the slammer for a couple tokes of hash is cruel. Half the people who smoke hash, only get a headache or a craving for brownies. What's next for Indonesia, outlawing headaches and sweets?

• Like 2

As usual the mightier than thou, would be executioners posting here in the name of humanity (??sheeesh) take a simplistic view of a much more complex and harrowing issue. The death penalty is state sanctioned murder-there is absolutely no evidence to support the notion that the death penalty deters people from doing anything. It is merely vengeful and utterly unjustified.

I am not a supporter of drug smuggling, nor anything illegal, but I am concerned for the woman, her children, her family, her friends and the general mental health of those of you and the Indonesian legal system, who are openly baying for her blood.

Nothing, but nothing is so simple- except for the thoughts of some of the mob rule individuals in here promulgating their vile, spiteful, venemous misinformed judgements. Shame on you.

You might want to reread K. Siampolee's post #4. It would seem to be an ongoing enterprise geared towards making money in a high risk venue, nothing more, nothing less. The choice was her's and the risk was hers. I have no sympathy, and her family will deal with the outcome. Again, her choice, and her risk. If she was not concerned about her own family I will not. "Baying for her blood", I think not. I simply will not accept your stamp of "mob rule individuals in here promulgating their vile, spiteful, venemous misinformed judgements. Shame on you." I feel no shame whatsoever. You on the other hand may want to do a reality check that this occurs far more than anyone reads about ... every day. This is a cause celebre (?) simply because she's a "grandma". Criminals come in all sizes, shapes, sexes and ages.

Edited by Dap
  • Like 1

So unfortunate, drugdealer is not getting what she want's!

That's not the point. The point is that first of all she doesn't deserve the death penalty for the crime she committed, and secondly if someone tells you that he will harm/potentially kill your grandchildren if you don't go and do that drug run would you think it's fair that the judgers give you the death penalty when you get caught???

A 56 year old grand mother ? She should know better. And saying that she did it to protect her grand children. That is a cheap lie. Take your medicine as the court has prescibed. They are protecting the grand children of people that this women planned to sell drugs to and potentially destroy their lives.

Exactly! A 56 year old grandmother. Doesn't strike you that as very unusual??? Also, how do you know it's a lie???

If someone would tell me that they will kill my grandchildren if I don't go and do that drug run for them, and I would think that these guy are serious about it, then I'd probably do the drug run, too. But I would definitely expect the court to take that into account and give me 25 years, a life sentence, or whatever the alternative is for a commuted death penalty sentence because I wouldn't have done that drug run to profit from it but to protect my grandchildren.

Too bad it's a Bali court and not a ball court. If it was a ball court, the ref could call it 'illegal motion' put the woman in a penalty box for awhile, and then let her go. I can think of things more criminal than carrying drugs around, but even then, I wouldn't recommend the death penalty - except for the most heinous criminals, like the Norwegian butt plug who went and killed all those bright young folks on that island.

• Like 1

I couldn't care if they kill her or not, but, I always wonder why people want to blame the dealers for a junky, if they don't force them then it is a junky who ruins these and the people around them. I dot take drugs because i don't want to, when people around me suggested it i just said id rather pass. Dealers are no worse that 7/11s, bankers or legal a arms manufactures.

It all beers down to people wanting to blame some one, its childish and ignorant.

if they neck her ...good the more suppliers exterminated the better it might force the king pins to take the risks ...have no sympathy for her ...read the history of the family ....the real winner here if she is exterminated will be the long suffering british tax payer ...

• Like 2

I couldn't care if they kill her or not, but, I always wonder why people want to blame the dealers for a junky, if they don't force them then it is a junky who ruins these and the people around them. I dot take drugs because i don't want to, when people around me suggested it i just said id rather pass. Dealers are no worse that 7/11s, bankers or legal a arms manufactures.

If you replace the word 'junky' (sic) with 'drunkard' then your post makes more sense.

• Like 1

If you replace the word 'junky' (sic) with 'drunkard' then your post makes more sense.
But you don't get the death penalty for being a drunkard. You do for dealing drugs. She knew that and still did it. No sympathy whatsoever.

The discussion of alcohol is off-topic.

In addition to not making the huge sums of money for smuggling a bottle of whiskey into the country, you also don't get the death penalty.

• Like 1

A 56 year old grand mother ? She should know better. And saying that she did it to protect her grand children. That is a cheap lie. Take your medicine as the court has prescibed. They are protecting the grand children of people that this women planned to sell drugs to and potentially destroy their lives.

Exactly! A 56 year old grandmother. Doesn't strike you that as very unusual??? Also, how do you know it's a lie???

If someone would tell me that they will kill my grandchildren if I don't go and do that drug run for them, and I would think that these guy are serious about it, then I'd probably do the drug run, too. But I would definitely expect the court to take that into account and give me 25 years, a life sentence, or whatever the alternative is for a commuted death penalty sentence because I wouldn't have done that drug run to profit from it but to protect my grandchildren.

If one finds one's self in such a scenerio then the best thing to do would be to contact the appropriate authorities. I don't see any excuse as a good one to commit such a crime. Or to get one's self into such a situation.wai.gif