Maggie Thatcher Is Dead.

Jockstar

IMA_FARANG

P.S. Quote from, Maggie when she first heard about the Falklands:

"Oh, good, a war. It's so much more exciting than all those boring cabinet meetings about the enviroment and such topics""

Perhaps you can share with us,where and when did she say this,or is this another left wing lie.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Margaret Thatcher left office in 1990...23 years ago..I think you'd be hard pushed to blame her for todays "ill's"...

RAZZ

Oh really! Her monetarist policies, carried on by all subsequent governments, have got us where we are today, Fecked!

She deregulated the banks, sold off british industries and even took the milk off the children, she was as evil as they come.

Rot in Hell!

Think again, Gordon Brown admitted it was lack of action by him that caused the major issues in the UK banking environment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375577/Gordon-Brown-admits-failed-rein-banks-shake-threatens-1k-branches.html

Please! Lets not allow fact to get in the way of fiction.

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1

Though I think it's wrong to cheer someone who died, pretty sick really; I won't shed a tear.

A woman who supported Apartheid, Pinochet and Khmer Rouge. Who publicly condemned Vietnam for driving the Khmer Rouge out of Cambodia, thus saving more slaughter.

And who trained the Khmer Rouge whilst out hiding along the Thai/Cambodian border? Wanting to control the country again and finish what they started. A reluctant and disgusted SAS. Sent by Thatcher. Denied by Thatcher. Until evidence a few years later, showed she lied. How could anyone and why would anyone support such a regime?

Yeah, lovely woman.

On another note, the Queen being "saddened", not anything more says to me, that maybe it was true there was friction between the two.

• Like 1

To smash the unions she shut down the mines, the steelworks and the shipyards, she devastated communities and lifes.

North Sea oil revenues came along and paid for the social security bill for her "madness". Opinion polls had her as the most despised PM in history. Then the Argies invaded the Falklands, she were saved.

But if her FO minister Carrington had heeded the warnings from the B.A Embassy, if John Nott defense minister had not announced the scrapping of HMS Endurance and the sale of the HMS Ark Royal to Australia. The Argies would not of invaded, they said so after the war??

EU rules allow a country to subsidise one form of energy.

The French went for nuclear, the Germans went for coal, the UK went for??? Yes, nuclear...

The Tories got into power in 1979, we then had 15+% interest rates which killed the economy.

Company revenue dropped 35%.

Unemployment went from 5% to 12%, mostly skilled.

Took 18 quarters before the UK GDP reached the level of 79/80, yes, four and a half years for the economy to get back to where it were before the Tories got in. North Sea oil production filled this hole.

Steelworks in my hometown (Motherwell) a modern and efficient plant, closed, dismantled and sold to the Chinese

North Sea oil revenues kept the UK afloat, while a pursuit of de-industrialisation and conversion from a mixed/balanced economy to a service economy. The effects are still easily visible, today?

When oil revenues dropped and they needed money, selling council houses, brought in lots of stamp duty money into the coffers and made more people debtors. Selling off State industries brought in a lot of money to the coffers. Then the money started to run out, VAT, goes up, many divisive policies brought in, the rest..................

The US is now out of recession, the battered Eurozone countries (Northern) GDP is picking up.

The UK faces a "triple dip" recession, already lost the triple "AAA" status, over concerns were the Tory led coalition is taking the economy.

A Channel 4 documentary called the "The wasted windfall" dealt with the oil money from the North Sea. One comment were. "Whoever won the 79 election would be in power for the forseeable future"

It could and should have been used to improve living standards and build more infrastructure i.e. modernise state industries, mines, shipyards, steelworks and railways. But instead closed them down. Oil tax reciepts paid for the social security bills. Loss of income tax and NI receipts were a huge loss to the exchequer, then you add to that loss, the cost of social payments.

Look at how Norway and the Shetland islands have handled their oil money, you then realise that Thatcher pursued a personal and political agenda, not an economic one.

Dealing with the unions could of been done via the law, as the below are now in force. i.e

1) Secondary picketing outlawed.

2) Ballot box not show of hands.

3) Majority of members not a majority of votes.

No Falklands war and no north sea oil revenues, would of meant no Thatcherism. The UK would be a different place

One last point.

The Falkland islander claim by the Tories were British, were a sham?? How??

To reduce the amount of people with UK passports coming to the UK. With the handover of Hong Kong coming into view, they changed the right of residency for Hong Kong, Chinese who had UK passports, to that of Dependency.

The Falklands were owned by the Coalite Group, a private company and the islands were classed as a dependency with the Islanders not having an automatic right to UK residence.

Thatcher told lies......... She were a bad person for the majority of the working class.

I have done well from Thatcher, her party and her policies. But I have a social conscience for those at the bottom.

It was HMS Invincible actually, Ark Royal was not built until after the conflict, Illustrious came into service just after hostilities had finished.

I am glad you mention the words "social conscience" I think it depends what part of the political spectrum you come from as to your attitude to Maggie Thatcher, I would put mine down as right wing with a social conscience, but be careful what you think of as right wing, it does not mean I support right wing dictators I dont. If you come from the left wing you probably give her the thumbs down, I think a lot of posters who give the thumbs down would like to have seen a different path for Britain and who can say if it would have been right or wrong, we see what we see and we see it with our eyes, they are all different.

My mum lived in York and I remember being there in the early 80's watching a morning tv show on the local level with Austin Mitchell presenting before he got into politics, the guest was Barnsley's finest Arthur Scargill, he was asked to paint a picture of what Britain would be like under a Scargill ideal world scenario, this he presented to a group of school children in the studio, I guess their ages were around 10.

After his presentation, Austen Mitchell asked the children if they would like to live a country that had just been described to them, the answer was a unanimous NO!! Arthur smiled shook his head and could not understand it, I wonder why that was?

She created today's housing crisis. She created the banking crisis. And she created the benefits crisis. It was her government that started putting people on incapacity benefit rather than register them as unemployed because the Britain she inherited was broadly full employment. She decided when she wrote off our manufacturing industry that she could live with two or three million unemployed, and the benefits bill, the legacy of that, we are struggling with today. In actual fact, every real problem we face today is the legacy of the fact that she was fundamentally wrong.

Ken Livingstone's comment.

Correct. She ran the country like you would run a grocer's shop.

Having been around during the Thatcher yrs and suffered under her regime 8yrs out of work I can't say that I am sorry to read that she has passed away and I dont doubt that a lot of other people in my age bracket 50+ will feel the same way . !

I lost my job 3 times under Maggie's reign, I simply got off my arse and went and got another. The reason you were out of work for the 8 years was down to you not her.RIP Maggie
Likewise I lost 3 jobs through lay offs and redundancys in one year.I also had a long while off work before I found another job,but not everyone were as lucky as you and I,some people lived in areas where jobs were very scarce or non existent,and employees having their money cut below the going rate.or employers realising Thatcher had made the situation in their favour to abuse employees and pay them peanuts and take it or leave it! a virtual slaves charter. Who thought up the YOPS Scheme?come and work for a year on £30 a week and you could have a permanent job if you are a good boy. Well the reality was they sacked them all after a year, and took on new victims.Try to claim your rights at work,according to your agreed contract with the company,and they would tell to F*** Off if you don't like it,constantly living in fear of losing your job,gagged,keep your head down, and don't answer back to the Foreman or Manager/Owner. Ahhhh! the happy days of Thatcherism:sick: only those that worked in Factories,Skilled Trades,Labouring,Manual Work,would know what i'm talking about,the rest are still spouting off the party line propaganda,from when they ran there own business,worked in Banks,Insurance and all the cosy office paper shuffing jobs.
my old dear always said I was lucky but I went from sales person, to farm laborer to semi skilled factory worker. I watched a TV programme and it focused on a mining area effected by the closures. A call centre opened near by, jobs were available but the guys said no way would they do that type of work. Work is work. Not much work in Isaan so the people move to where the work is, a mind set not to much accepted by many in the UK. As Norman said get on ya bike to the unemployed.

up country thai work in the factories of the eastern seaboard. They miss their community.

MT would struggle with this because she understood bank balance but nothing else.

• Like 1

SIMHNE, I raised a glass to these people last night and I hope that it is this reality, her pro apartheid stance and her promotion of collusion with loyalist terrorists in Ireland that will be remembered around the world. She was also well known to be close friend of General Suharto. She was not a champion of aspirational working people, she blinded them with self interest and left a poisonous legacy for all but a very few, very wealthy individuals.

:::::::::::;;;

Amazing,all these left wing lies,look at the post 338, two up from yours, regarding her stance on apartheid. Regarding Northern Ireland the vast majority of the people certainly did not think she sided with the loyalist, many of them consider she gave in to the IRA death squads.

One thing she can be blamed for,after she modernised the UK economy by doing away with the old inefficient industries,she neglected to put in place policies to promote new industries,relying to much on the financial sector and the service industry,in other words she did not put enough eggs in the basket.

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 2

To smash the unions she shut down the mines, the steelworks and the shipyards, she devastated communities and lifes.

North Sea oil revenues came along and paid for the social security bill for her "madness". Opinion polls had her as the most despised PM in history. Then the Argies invaded the Falklands, she were saved.

But if her FO minister Carrington had heeded the warnings from the B.A Embassy, if John Nott defense minister had not announced the scrapping of HMS Endurance and the sale of the HMS Ark Royal to Australia. The Argies would not of invaded, they said so after the war??

EU rules allow a country to subsidise one form of energy.

The French went for nuclear, the Germans went for coal, the UK went for??? Yes, nuclear...

The Tories got into power in 1979, we then had 15+% interest rates which killed the economy.

Company revenue dropped 35%.

Unemployment went from 5% to 12%, mostly skilled.

Took 18 quarters before the UK GDP reached the level of 79/80, yes, four and a half years for the economy to get back to where it were before the Tories got in. North Sea oil production filled this hole.

Steelworks in my hometown (Motherwell) a modern and efficient plant, closed, dismantled and sold to the Chinese

North Sea oil revenues kept the UK afloat, while a pursuit of de-industrialisation and conversion from a mixed/balanced economy to a service economy. The effects are still easily visible, today?

When oil revenues dropped and they needed money, selling council houses, brought in lots of stamp duty money into the coffers and made more people debtors. Selling off State industries brought in a lot of money to the coffers. Then the money started to run out, VAT, goes up, many divisive policies brought in, the rest..................

The US is now out of recession, the battered Eurozone countries (Northern) GDP is picking up.

The UK faces a "triple dip" recession, already lost the triple "AAA" status, over concerns were the Tory led coalition is taking the economy.

A Channel 4 documentary called the "The wasted windfall" dealt with the oil money from the North Sea. One comment were. "Whoever won the 79 election would be in power for the forseeable future"

It could and should have been used to improve living standards and build more infrastructure i.e. modernise state industries, mines, shipyards, steelworks and railways. But instead closed them down. Oil tax reciepts paid for the social security bills. Loss of income tax and NI receipts were a huge loss to the exchequer, then you add to that loss, the cost of social payments.

Look at how Norway and the Shetland islands have handled their oil money, you then realise that Thatcher pursued a personal and political agenda, not an economic one.

Dealing with the unions could of been done via the law, as the below are now in force. i.e

1) Secondary picketing outlawed.

2) Ballot box not show of hands.

3) Majority of members not a majority of votes.

No Falklands war and no north sea oil revenues, would of meant no Thatcherism. The UK would be a different place

One last point.

The Falkland islander claim by the Tories were British, were a sham?? How??

To reduce the amount of people with UK passports coming to the UK. With the handover of Hong Kong coming into view, they changed the right of residency for Hong Kong, Chinese who had UK passports, to that of Dependency.

The Falklands were owned by the Coalite Group, a private company and the islands were classed as a dependency with the Islanders not having an automatic right to UK residence.

Thatcher told lies......... She were a bad person for the majority of the working class.

I have done well from Thatcher, her party and her policies. But I have a social conscience for those at the bottom.

I am working class and she was not bad for me, dont speak for me. I still have my BT shares as well and .........all politicians are economical with the truth, she is not alone ask Tony Blair or whoever you like.

• Like 2

post-100087-0-55876200-1365516402_thumb.

She did turn her back on the Ulstermen .

She did sink loose ships with loose lips . thats a wee loose n' lose thing going on there .

She did encourage bicycle use for the unemployed , dirty , unwashed and leftist scum.

She did support her terrorist supporting son .

She did snatch milk from the suckling lips of babes .

She did , she did , she did

She did sneer .

She did commend the armed forces , men and women for fighting for the Falkland Islands et al .

She did fight against the enemy within ,the brothers and sisters of the men and women who did fight in the Falklands War .

Feel Free to Join The List .........

• Like 1

The Thatcher years saw me from my early twenties through into my 30's. I lived in Fife Scotland - an area renowned for its mines and pits. I am not and never have been a lefty. The hypocrisy I heard from my father and all the fools around at the time saw to that, but I hated the right almost as much. The Thatcher years did me personally no harm at all. I took my own road and ended up a millionaire - not a high flier (it took me years and a lot of damn hard work). But the very mention of Margaret Thatcher's name still makes me want to spit and I can feel my blood pressure going up even as write this.

She singlehandedly ruined what was once the greatest nation on Earth and I hope Satan is roasting her like a herring right now

I must admit that i see it a little differently. The 'once greatest nation on earth' had been in decline for a long time and was in serious danger of being killed by the unions. She stepped in and initially put things back on the right track. Sadly she wasn't able to see the changes through fully enough and, as has been posted elsewhere, put all her eggs in the service and financial sectors instead of trying to reinvigorate industry.

Overall a good start but stayed on too long. However, much better than things would have been if the unions/left not been reined in.

• Like 2

Thatcher was not, as some have posted here, a supporter of apartheid.

Margaret Thatcher on apartheid: Sixteen quotes

Fair enough; it looked at times she had a sympathetic ear to it.

So, why do you think she supported the Khmer Rouge and sent SAS troops to train them? Why did she not make any comments about what was going on when it was happening, only to be annoyed with VIetnam for ending it.

She put her hatred of communism ahead of human slaughter.

I remember the bad times in the 80's bringing up a young family, Britain was on its knees. Its not often someone like comes along to sort things out. Strikes to many of them, who runs the country the unions or the Government? Thats how I saw it as a shop worker being held to ransom every year by the miners striking for more money, I come from a mining community and had relations working down the pit, they told me how cushy they had it. They destroyed their own communities themelves led by that twerp from Barnsley.

She not only changed Britain but the Ronnie reagan she helped shape the world we live in today, she did not get everything right but she put the pride back into Britain, the country and the world owe her a debt of gratitude.

Greatest peacetime leader in the UK, absoulutely.

I shed a tear last night and had a few beers as well, I hope the funeral is shown live here, I will be watching.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif
That is a very nice translation .

I remember the bad times in the 80's bringing up a young family, Britain was on its knees. Its not often someone like comes along to sort things out. Strikes to many of them, who runs the country the unions or the Government? Thats how I saw it as a shop worker being held to ransom every year by the miners striking for more money, I come from a mining community and had relations working down the pit, they told me how cushy they had it. They destroyed their own communities themelves led by that twerp from Barnsley.

She not only changed Britain but the Ronnie reagan she helped shape the world we live in today, she did not get everything right but she put the pride back into Britain, the country and the world owe her a debt of gratitude.

Greatest peacetime leader in the UK, absoulutely.

I shed a tear last night and had a few beers as well, I hope the funeral is shown live here, I will be watching.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif
That is a very nice translation .

So, why do you think she supported the Khmer Rouge and sent SAS troops to train them? Why did she not make any comments about what was going on when it was happening, only to be annoyed with VIetnam for ending it.

'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' perhaps?

Besides, it's easy to judge with the benefit of hindsight, but who knew at the time what would happen once the Khmer Rouge gained power and the Vietnamese left?

I did say, though, that I did not agree with everything she did.

Back to South Africa.

Many people have posted here that she called Nelson Mandela a terrorist; but have not linked to an actual quote or similar; and I have been unable to find one.

She did call the ANC terrorists; which is understandable as at the time they were putting burning tyres around the necks of those in the townships who disagreed with their methods!

Thatcher's role 'in saving Nelson Mandela'

Did Margaret Thatcher play a role in helping to save

Nelson Mandela's life? That is the remarkable claim made by one of the former

South African president's closest friends, Ahmed Kathrada.

"Her word did count - I'm sure of it," Mr Kathrada told me, on hearing of the

death of Baroness Thatcher................

Baroness Thatcher was better known for her strong opposition to sanctions

against the apartheid government, and for describing the African National

Congress in 1987 as a terrorist organisation.

Mr Mandela did not meet her on his first visit to London in 1990 after his

release, but Mr Kathrada insisted that no grudge was held.

"We were quite aware [that she'd called us terrorists] but we had forgiven

our oppressors, and Mrs Thatcher wasn't one of our oppressors," Mr Kathrada

said.

"Once we'd forgiven our oppressors - the national government and individuals

- we didn't find it difficult to forgive everybody who had different views from

us."

Edit: quote boxes fixed; again!

Edited by 7by7

grocer's daughter from Lincolnshire knew what she knew.

sas training cabin with live ammo. I like this!

try a helicopter gunship over a rice field Maggie and see if you like the sound of Wagner.

Much more exciting than a day in Westminster.

White trash.

Cheers

grocer's daughter from Lincolnshire knew what she knew.

sas training cabin with live ammo. I like this!

try a helicopter gunship over a rice field Maggie and see if you like the sound of Wagner.

Much more exciting than a day in Westminster.

White trash.

Cheers

A new low on this thread.

Edited by onionluke

Amazing,all these left wing lies,look at the post 338, two up from yours, regarding her stance on apartheid. Regarding Northern Ireland the vast majority of the people certainly did not think she sided with the loyalist, many of them consider she gave in to the IRA death squads.

One thing she can be blamed for,after she modernised the UK economy by doing away with the old inefficient industries,she neglected to put in place policies to promote new industries,relying to much on the financial sector and the service industry,in other words she did not put enough eggs in the basket.

You and I have very different views on the world Nontabury and I don't think we are going to find much to agree on particularly around Mrs T. I had read the previous post but i remember deeds (or lack of them) not what she said she believed about apartheid. What she did not do was impose sanctions which was what the ANC were asking for. By doing away with "old inefficient industries" I believe she did away with communities and consigned many working people to benefits, a legacy the UK is still burdened with but then she did not believe in society, only individuals and families.