Taxi-Driver Returns Bt520,000 In Lost Cash

webfact

Honest taxi-driver gets his reward
Kwanhathai Malakan
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver Tuesday returned Bt520,000 in cash to a couple who left it in an envelope on the taxi's back passenger seat.

The taxi driver, Sathit Khamhom, was honoured as a good man by Sor Wor Por 91 traffic radio station.

The radio station was told of his good deed by the passenger, Nirawal Sricharoen. She said she and her husband hired the taxi to take them to a Honda showroom to buy a car, and they left the money in the taxi.

The driver later turned up at the showroom and returned the cash to her. She gave him Bt2,000 as a reward but she forgot to ask for his name.

After she called the radio station, the taxi driver turned up at the station and was honoured with a "Sor Wor Por 91 good person" shirt.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-10

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i read the headline and then read he had got a reward my brain was calculating what i would have given him. I then scrolled down to find he got 2000 Bt. This couple had lost 500,000 Baht and this guy has the decency to return it and this is his reward!

Im sure most of us if we lost 1000Bt and it was returned would give the person at least 200Bt. I cant see why the same cant be done in this scenario. Imagine if they droped him 50,000. It would of made his year!!

He's a good man. Who knows the couple could have borrowed the money and been not much better off than the driver. They probably where but it's always wonderful when someone does the right thing, reward or not. I know if I lost property in a taxi, i would be thinking that it was gone. whether it be 10B or 1,000,000B. Have enough experience in life to know that it's a rare thing and should be acknowledged. He's not stupid, he's honest and there is nothing wrong with that.

• Like 2

Indeed a wonderful example of honesty from the taxi driver. Rather a paltry sum 2,000 baht as a reward 5,000 baht would to my mind have been par for the course.

Shame our politicians don't have the same streak of honesty running through them

He has the merit of returning the money and he will bask in that. Yet 2000 is a small amount as a reward. I too think 5000 would have been better.

To those who say that he should be happy with his reward and those who say honesty itself should be the norm, how would you feel if the driver had taken the cash, left his job and lived happily on the money?

Well done to the driver for his honesty.

• Like 2

since when did this "10% good deed commision" come up?.. A person is supposed to do the right thingfor the sake of humanity , not for some bloody 10% reward. Maybe not everyone in thailand is as "rich and big-hearted" as the farangs on TV.

Well, if you can lose THB 500k in a taxi you are first of all an idiot. If somebody is kind enough to return the money you should give him more than 2000b.

Shamefull act by the "owner" of the money.

• Like 1

Good on the taxi- driver!

Respect!

...but seriously: 2.000 Baht?

I know, a "thank you" should deem enough to reward honesty and honesty should be a normal thing....but 2.000 Baht????

Has nobody heard of cashier's cheques? Easier and much safer.

If you buy a car and want to pay with a cashier's cheque, you first have to go to the shop, get an invoice, present the invoice at the bank and then you can buy a cashier's cheque to pay exactly for this invoice. At least that's the experience I made when I bought my last car.

Edited by hkt83100

Last December, prior to my permenant move here, my wife and I were coming back from the Grand Place area of BKK having seen the lights prior to the Kings Birthday, by taxi to Sutthisan. Pay the driver, got out, and then released as he pulled away my wallet wasn't with me.

Panic!!! 4000B all UK debit and credit cards, UK driving licence all inside, hotel keyboard as well. Did I have the taxi number no, or driver name no....phone calls made cards cancelled, and reported at local police station ( very nice and helpful police officer)

Anyway 7am next morning call from reception, the taxi driver had found my wallet in the back of his taxi, found key card, with hotel details, and called them. He returned my wallet the next evening, all intact, cards and cash ect. I was so relieved and grateful. I gave him 1000B to as a thank you. Some will say too much, but when you have been so stupid as I was, the relief to get it all back. It was the driving licence I was more worried about as the hassle in getting a new one, when they are lost is unbelievable, I looked it up to see what to do. Cards were easy to cancel, and used Skype on my phone, using free hotel wifi, so no big expensive phone calls.

And learnt my lesson, do I need to carry so many cards, NO, cash now down to 2000B as well.

I wish I had his name and details, my wife spoke to him, as Thai, and can't remember his details either. But a very honest taxi driver as well.

• Like 2

I left my phone in a taxi in Silom. Quick call from my friend's phone and the man made a 10 minute detour to get back to us. I gave him B200 as he could have easily have made B100 in that time and the inconvenience of losing my phone would have cost me much more than a B100 tip.

I left my phone in a taxi meter which I took from the airport to my house in Pattaya.

A quick call from another phone made the phone switched off within the following 5 minutes.