Suvarnabhumi Named Best Airport In The World By European Travellers.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travel a couple of times a month through it... It definitely improved 200% since the budget crap has been moved out.

It's a breeze, takes me about 20 minutes getting out of the taxi all the way through immigration.

Internet check in...quick check at the scanners...10 minutes max at immigration.

Consistently, every time.

For me, real winner now compared to a year ago.

20 minutes? What about when they bus you from a parked plane in the middle of nowhere?

What about when the plane does park at the very far end of the airport? I was at a gate last week that I've never been to and I'd swear I took every possible tread to get to immigration.

Once I got to immigration, the queue of Chinese and Russian tourists were weaving all the way through the line guides. It would have been atleast an hour.

Fortunately I saw a Thai friend of mine and jumped in with his group and went through the Thai queue.

Point is that the immigration lines are the holdup. Sometimes if you run quick, you can get in a queue with just 3-4 people. Late night landings are the worst as there is always a queue.

Waiting for luggage? Good luck getting out in less than 45 minutes.

Singapore, Hong Kong, always on time, always clean, and people movers (ie trains)

Why the AOT would even bother accepting this award from a no-name website is beyond me. Maybe someone's bonus hinges on it?

Honestly I don't understand how some people can whinge so much about things that really are not whingeworthy at all. It's not as though walks and occasional queues are exclusive to SVB and don't afflict other airports. And last time I was in the airport they did have moving walkways. Have they been removed now?

I flew in a week or so ago and was greeted by a long snaking queue at immigration and I feared the worst but - if you'd stuck around - you'd have seen that it moves pretty swiftly these days and I was through in less than 20 minutes. It looked like an hour's worth of queue! There are also people checking everyone's forms now BEFORE they reach the desk so that weeds out the inexperienced and helps keep things moving. From what it used to be like how about giving credit where it's due and say things are much much improved and that they've done a god job. But nah, we're on TV here, that can never happen.

My bags took a further five minutes and I was on my way home. I have never been left waiting more than ten minutes for my bags, maybe I'm just lucky.

I do agree about being bussed to/from aircraft - I hate that - but that is up to the airline concerned. And, guess what, they also do that in Hong Kong!

Suvarnabhumi is certainly far from the worst airport I've traveled but to call it the best is taking it way too far. Singapore airport wins even comparing how it was 10 years ago to Suvarnabhumi now. That doesn't necessarily detract from Suvarnabhumi, it's just to say that Singapore has done a really really good job.

Best? Maybe best in Indochina region but there is no way it can beat Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong airports.

I never been to Korea so I can't evaluate their Airport but Changi (Singapore) was the best airport I've ever seen. Its simply amazing.

-Changi- Yes, good.

As long as you not land/start at the Low Cost Terminal! bah.gif

Must have been the friendly punters holding signs behind the designated animal pens at international arrivals, or the dilapidated floor tiles and structure (since the opening), or the overpriced restaurants, or the encroaching duty free shops, or the friendly 'I am god' immigration officers, or the self-endorsed AOT limousines, or the ever changing taxi services outside? I personally think it's the "no we are not going to design the arrivals hall in the same way as Don Muang" arrival halls confusing the hell out of arriving visitors and the security guards saying "no, you cannot go that way" as you realize you've gone in the wrong direction and are trying to get back in to get to the other side of the arrivals.

It could also be the fact that you still can disembark on the tarmac only to have the buses come get you upon arrival. With all the gates and you can't find an available bay?

There is no way in hell that Swampy can be tops. Either the AOT paid for this endorsement or the owner of the rinky-dink travel service from Spain got into trouble while visiting and promised to give Swampy top billing of all airports.

What a scam. You can't fool us AOT. You still suck.

Actually the airport was only number 38 this year, 2013, down from last year's 25 or whatever, so it seems to be sinking into the realms of oblivion where Heathrow and such gastly airports reside.

There is no way Suvarnabhumi can be classed as a first class airport, the staff are always indifferent, if not outright rude, the immigration is always a nightmare, both in and out, the shops and restaurants are darn expensive, and the service to and from the airport pretty awful. I could add even more issues but will stop for today.

Next year the airport's ranking will be even lower.

• Like 1

Best? Maybe best in Indochina region but there is no way it can beat Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong airports.

I never been to Korea so I can't evaluate their Airport but Changi (Singapore) was the best airport I've ever seen. Its simply amazing.

Maybe it is a matter of opinion, but Suvarnabhumi is far better then Changi and Hongkong any day.

In which way?

I find its not even in the same league as changi or hongkong.

Agree, and I ask the same.

In what possible way is this air port better than SPore and HK?

It could also be the fact that you still can disembark on the tarmac only to have the buses come get you upon arrival. With all the gates and you can't find an available bay?

You cant blame the airport for this one, I stand to be corrected, but this is to do with the airlines themselves not being willing to pay for the bays

-Changi- Yes, good.

As long as you not land/start at the Low Cost Terminal! bah.gif

The budget terminal @ changi is already closed

Suvarnabhumi, where you need a cut lunch and a thermos and half a day in order to travel between terminals.

Very strange statement as there is only 1 Terminal at swampy.............

There might be only 1 terminal, but its a three day camel ride to get around.

My pleasure to see Suvarnabhumi International Airport in 2010. It was the most advanced airport I have sween any where. There is noting in the United States that well planned and beautiful. The article here is well taken and Thailand should be proud of a worldwode architectural and functional transporation facility. DEE MAK MAK!

Many major airports in Asia are better than Suvarnabhumi from my experience. Edited by melrocks50
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

National pride' must be restored in Suvarnabhumi, says new director

Achara Deboonme

The Nation May 14, 2013 1:00 am

30206067-01_big.jpg

Rawewan

Suvarnabhumi Airport saw its global ranking slide from 25th in 2012 to 38th this year, prompting the new airport director to say she would scramble the support of all parties in her mission to restore "national pride" in the airport complex.

Rawewan Netrakavesna has tasked herself with urgently introducing new improvements to the airport - with the aim to bring Suvarnabhumi's Skytrax ranking back to "25" next year.

Categorised as a three-star airport, Suvarnabhumi offers an "industry average" in the standard of product and service delivery. Her mission will involve in-depth talks with airlines and as well as lobbying for support from government agencies.

"I have a mission to plug the holes of criticism - to make Suvarnabhumi Thailand's best national asset." Suvarnabhumi's financial weak points have already been dealt with, she said, but the airport now faces fierce competition.

"Her mission is huge, as over-capacity at Suvarnabhumi is quickly leading to a deterioration in services.

"Everyone must join us and lend a hand," she said during an exclusive interview.

Drawing on her 34 years of experience at Airports of Thailand (AOT), Rawewan is convinced that she can balance the needs of airlines with the regulatory environment to create a win-win scenario.

"Passengers are our lifeblood and airlines are carrying passengers to us. Without them, we die. My duty is acting as the intermediary - to pass on airlines' proposals to the management of AOT and ensure their demands are taken seriously."

Cooperation from all parties enabled Chiang Mai International Airport - where she served as director from 2010 to last month - to win the Airports Council International award as the world's fifth-best airport with a passenger capacity of less than 5 million. She attributes the success to the support she received from airlines as well as Chiang Mai Governor ML Panadda Diskul, who made the airport a part of the provincial economic-development scheme.

During her years there, under the airport's regular annual budget, the passenger terminal was greatly improved.

At Suvarnabhumi Airport, she has set her sights on adjusting space usage at the passenger terminal. Bank booths and non-aviation offices may be moved to the fourth floor to enlarge the check-in area. In addition, One World - the alliance of American, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Qantas, Iberia, Finnair and LanChile - plans to relocate its operations to Don Mueang Airport, a complex logistical operation that will require the development of services and support infrastructure for connecting flights and cargo handling, said Rawewan.

Seventy per cent of Thailand's tourist arrivals use Suvarnabhumi as the gateway to the Kingdom. As tourism grows, the airport - with a maximum capacity of 45 million passengers - last year accommodated 52 million. Thanks to the relocation of AirAsia to Don Mueang late last year, the number of passengers at Suvarnabhumi this year will drop by 4.59 per cent year on year to 50.57 million. However, that number is expected to grow to 57 million in 2015.

Rawewan Netrakavesna has tasked herself with urgently introducing new improvements to the airport - with the aim to bring Suvarnabhumi's Skytrax ranking back to "25" next year.

Best of luck to her. Suvarnabhumi is an acceptable airport by world standards but there are areas for improvement. Immigration has already improved a lot.

SkyTrax is a profit-centred organisation so the actual ranking should be taken with a pinch of salt. Any organisation that rates Hainan Airlines as a '5 Star' airline and Air Canada as a '4 Star' airline can't be trusted.

At Suvarnabhumi Airport, she has set her sights on adjusting space usage at the passenger terminal. Bank booths and non-aviation offices may be moved to the fourth floor to enlarge the check-in area. In addition, One World - the alliance of American, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Qantas, Iberia, Finnair and LanChile - plans to relocate its operations to Don Mueang Airport, a complex logistical operation that will require the development of services and support infrastructure for connecting flights and cargo handling, said Rawewan.

This isn't correct. The Nation's chief competitor has an article dated 5 April quoted Oneworld's Vice President Michael Blunt rejected the proposal by AoT to move operations to DMK.

"Flight connectivity is reduced by splitting operations of connecting airlines between two airports. Cities that develop competing full-service airports risk reducing their attractiveness as an aviation hub," he warned.

From the article:

"Mr Blunt made it clear that Oneworld has never advocated the development of Don Mueang as a second full-service hub for Bangkok and has no interest in seeing any of its member airlines move there."

Seems pretty clear that they have no interest in moving.

BANGKOK, April 10 - Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport was named the 'Best Airport in the World "for 2012 by the Barcelona-based eDreams travel website.

Maybe they surveyed the wetDreams site by accident.... Who makes this crap up?

Suvarnabumi Airport is decent airport - Could there be improvement? Yes. Its up to par with Hong Kong and Singapore.

It could be improved with regards to crowding - perhaps thats simply a measure of its success. Speed of baggage could also be improved, as could the range of duty free which quite frankly is well over priced.

Overcrowding on arrivals (after customs) is a pain in the neck, but that could be true of any airport.

It's better than the Airports in Europe, perhaps with the exception of Charles De Gaulle and again on Par with the Middle East Airports, IMO.

Given a rocky start with quality and toilet issues now that it is fully up and running, settled and established Suvarnabumi airport does was it does well.

I don't know why people would try so hard to knock it unless they are simply looking for another angle to criticise Thailand.

• Like 1

The new director of the airport seems to think it needs lots of work (this equates to money). She mentioned a ranking in the mid 20 percentile in comparasion to other International airports.

I guess peoples preception of what needs or does not need to be improved/changed may be in the eye of the beholder and what they expect from what some would call a short time use..

Just back from a couple of days in Singapore and anyone trying to say that Swampy is anywhere near the same level as Changi has got some ideas wrong.

Got off the plane at Changi looked up and saw signs that were clear showing me how to connect with SkyTrain/MRT etc. The whole place was bright, cheerful looking and not an overall dingy grey colour. The floors were clean, the toilts were clean and were easy to find.

Immigration was quick and easy with a pleasant smile, not every page in my passport was scrutinised closely taking 1 minute a page, it was stamped and handed back to me within 30 seconds with an 'enjoy your stay'

On return Immigration was quick at Swampy but nowhere near as pleasant as at Changi.

• Like 1

Arrives into Changi yesterday from Swampy. There is no comparison. Changi clean, good sign posting, not over crowded, no ques at immigration, friendly immigration staff, bags on belt when I got to the baggae collection, small line for taxis, but no BS about meters and easy from airport to hotel. My experience of Swampy is the opposite, and btw the toilets in Swampy are dirty and taps don't work properly.

• Like 1