Very Sad News

eezergood

Very sad news indeed - and a salutary lesson about NOT swerving to avoid animals in the road.

As much as instinct encourages to take evasive action it is far safer to maintain a steady course whilst breaking hard (without risking skidding).

This year I have had to do just that on two occasions. On one the dog 'bounced off' the side of the car and ran off - the other was killed. Not a pleasant feeling but I will not risk my own life for that of an animal.

• Like 2

Very sad news indeed - and a salutary lesson about NOT swerving to avoid animals in the road.

As much as instinct encourages to take evasive action it is far safer to maintain a steady course whilst breaking hard (without risking skidding).

This year I have had to do just that on two occasions. On one the dog 'bounced off' the side of the car and ran off - the other was killed. Not a pleasant feeling but I will not risk my own life for that of an animal.

Sorry eezergood, I have just seen on a separate thread that your friend was on a motorbike. It is obviously much harder to hold your line on a bike but I think, again, that I would try and do anything to avoid swerving which always risks loss of control.

Terribly bad luck. I think with most of us that such things happen so suddenly that there is an instinctive reaction to swerve. In many cases, there just isn't time to think things through. Could be a toddler.

Umm there is probably a lot of people that know some one called stuart in all different areas of thailand, i know of a guy called stuart where we are not a close friend but you got me wondering now if it was him or not, can you name the area or province just to clear things up a bit.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

.....Not a pleasant feeling but I will not risk my own life for that of an animal.

All too true. This was taught to me as a basic fundamental going back to the sixties when undergoing driver training in Australia. Roos as well as cuddly Koalas etc. came 2nd in the decision process, sad but a fact of life.

.....Not a pleasant feeling but I will not risk my own life for that of an animal.

All too true. This was taught to me as a basic fundamental going back to the sixties when undergoing driver training in Australia. Roos as well as cuddly Koalas etc. came 2nd in the decision process, sad but a fact of life.

Sure.., in a car or truck, but you can never take that option when riding a motorcycle.sad.png

Sure.., in a car or truck, but you can never take that option when riding a motorcycle.sad.png

Yes you can, you'd be surprised. Where possible increase the gas so the front wheel gets a bit lighter.

Panwa - He is from NE England

thanks for clearing that up, rip to your friend.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just for clarity, RIP not necessary. Stuart is alive though as eezergood stated, paralysed. He is only in his late 20's/early 30's, and his background is in outward bound/adventure training.

On a motorbike I would also probably advise to hit the gas and go straight...

Last week I hit a medium sized dog at about 80kmph nightime, nothing I could do to avoid it, he went back/forth/froze in panick totally unpredictable , I decided to go straight and not hit the brake as it was too late, plus the speed probably helped to 'jump' over it.

I felt really bad after that, but when I think about it, I don't think I had any other choice.

It helped that I was using my cbr with 17inch wheels and not my click or worse, my previous Fino, I would probably have fallen then.

Keep in mind this can happen, it was my first bad incident on a motorbike but I will surely change my behaviour because of it, and I will certainly avoid driving in the nightime... What is sure is between a dog or cat and me, I selflishly choose me without a doubt.

Hope thinking about it now can help someone in the future, learn from your mistakes and those of others, and they were not made in vain.

I wish all the best to your unlucky friend.

Yes you can, you'd be surprised. Where possible increase the gas so the front wheel gets a bit lighter.

You're going to have to clarify exactly what you mean here..are you saying that you would actually accelerate when confronted with an animal in your path whilst riding?blink.png

EDIT..Possibly at times on a big bike confronting a small animal,i do agree with what you say, but other than that is a sweeping generalisation as i interpret it..wai2.gif

Edited by andreandre

Very very sad news, if he's from the Northeast thats my home county, i wish him a speedy recovery and rehabilitation , at any age it's tragic, but being a youngish guy it has to be heartbreaking for him and his family, i simply can't imagine being in that situation, please keep us informed of the lads progress, again i don't know the lad but like me i'm sure all the TV members thoughts are with him and his family.

You're going to have to clarify exactly what you mean here..are you saying that you would actually accelerate when confronted with an animal in your path whilst riding?blink.png

Since that is what this remark was about, yes, acceleration may be the best option.

I have done extensive motorbike training back home, and one of the training exercises was to ride over road obstacles. Of course it depends on the situation, but acceleration (not too much of course) may really be the best and for the rider safest option.

^^ ^^

As i said in EDIT in #16

..Possibly at times on a big bike confronting a small animal,i do agree with what you say, but other than that is a sweeping generalisation as i interpret it..wai2.gif

Yes, it would be a generalisation if somebody said: always increase speed and run the animal over.

As I said: it depends on the situation, but acceleration may be the best option, And that also applies to a small Wave or Click of 110 cc or something.

Do we know him on the Forum. Sad story wish him luck.

Don't think he posts here. He and his partner Cathy have been resident in Phuket for at least as long as I've known them, which is 3 years or so.

Friends of mine too and i wish them both all the best in the future.

hi, as i am a friend of aforementioned stuart and his wife, and have actually been to visit him in the hospital since this has happened and communicate with his wife on a daily basis, i feel the need to clarify a few things so that more rumors do not continue to circulate.

-he swerved to avoid a cat

-he did not hit a tree

-he is not paralyzed from the neck down

-he can, and i have seen him do so, bend his arms, move his arms and grasp for things

it's very sad news, indeed, as he and his wife are two amazing people. they are also amazingly strong, and are dealing with this situation as best they can. they both know they have a long road ahead of them, and they are dealing with it day to day. if you are a friend of the couple, perhaps call in during visitor hours and say hello.

Question that begs to be asked.

Was the guy wearing a helmet?

hi, as i am a friend of aforementioned stuart and his wife, and have actually been to visit him in the hospital since this has happened and communicate with his wife on a daily basis, i feel the need to clarify a few things so that more rumors do not continue to circulate.

-he did not hit a tree

-he can, and i have seen him do so, bend his arms, move his arms and grasp for things

it's very sad news, indeed, as he and his wife are two amazing people. they are also amazingly strong, and are dealing with this situation as best they can. they both know they have a long road ahead of them, and they are dealing with it day to day. if you are a friend of the couple, perhaps call in during visitor hours and say hello.

A few years back a friend of mine returning from Karon to Phuket on motorbike & wearing a helmet had an accident & slid along on his face until he came to an abrupt halt on one of those large rocks above Le Meridian. Paralysed from the neck down apart from some slight movement in his little finger on one hand. Someone made a decision to move him to Singapore from Phuket International about 4 days after the accident & he eventually ended up back in Adelaide in the spinal care unit. About 3 years later after lots of treatment & therapies there was no discernible improvement. He asked to be taken off life support & he passed away.

I was asked to get the doctor's report from Phuket International so the family could use for insurance purposes to help cover costs of treatment. I was shocked at what I read. He did not break anything but was diagnosed with severe bruising of the nerves & the recommendation was he not be moved for at least two weeks. Had that been followed perhaps he would still be around today.

-he did not hit a tree

Yeah he was, just really unlucky on the day

-he did not hit a tree

yes, he was and it saved his life.

• Like 1

Going to agree with stevenl.

About two years ago coming home from work, Chalong circle toward Rawai Beach I was doing about 70 when out of the corner of my eye I see a dog run out on the other side of the road.

A car clipped it's rear spun it around and then it ran right in front of my bike.

I did not brake. I actually gassed just a tiny bit and braced for the impact, hit the dog dead center, maintained my balance, dog sort of flew/ran yelping.

Scary indeed and considering this fellow's accident, I feel quite lucky.