Norwegian Killed In Traffic Accident In Thailand

webfact

I am just starting to see Thai accidents with a new perspective after landing back here in the US.

Just from the airport to my brother's place in Annandale I've seen scattered remains of cars --hub caps, bumpers and stuff -- lining the sides of the road. I asked my bro why they don't clean it up. He says they do -- but accidents in Virginia are really THAT common!!

When we were going out in our car for lunch my bro pointed out a u-turn island and explained that accidents happened at the point very frequently. STRANGELY enough as we were driving back from lunch we passed an accident scene -- at a u-turn point (not sure if it was the same one pointed out earlier)!!

My first day in the USA after 27 years and I'm seeing these accidents and idiots talking on their mobile phones whilst driving 2-3 lanes across the road!

My bro has knocked it in my head now (he's an EMT volunteer) : driving here in the USA is crazy.

I've heard just about the same in Thailand the 10 years I was living there.

But I've never witnessed a "fresh" scene like the one I did here in Annandale.

Let's see what I discover in the following days!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for all you who dont like the way thais drive, either learn to deal with it, or take a bus to suvarnabhumi, get on a plane and go back wherever you came from.... really tired of farong complaining about everything,,,, you dont have to live in this country, you are all here by choice,,, live with it or get the **** out,,,, but please just stop your old-man whining...

RIP to the norwegian man, and all the best to his gf for a speedy recovery

• Like 1

Very sad, RIP.

As other posters say, the only way to be safe here is trust nothing. I ride a big bike every day and the way to stay alive is to manage risk.

Green lights, pedestrians (do thais even get taught to look left/right when crossing), soi dogs, garbage, taxi drivers off their face on Yabba etc etc..

Keep doing those life savers people!

I also ride a big bike everyday and you are correct that you really have to manage your risk.

I always assume that I am invisible, meaning, that nobody sees me. I only see them and therefore I have to be very careful.

What difference does the size of the bike make, are you more vulnerable, less vulnerable, more of a man, or what?

In 13 years ive never driven a car or riden a bike in Thailand which probably explains why im still alive and dont walk with a limp.

A/C Buses are comfortable (11 baht) and taxis are very cheap.

Even buses run red lights here in Bangkok but atleast as a passenger you're safe..Its the car or bikie thats stuffed.. The most dangerous thing you can do is attempt to walk a pedestrian crossing.

The Thais will speed up and try and mow you down ... Thai and farang pedestrians alike.!

Zebra crossings are for zebras not us? Thai thinking.

Edited by jalansanitwong

Not that it makes any difference now to this poor guy, his girlfriend and his family and friends, but why does the story say 'while driving' when it later states his girlfriend 'was on the back of the bike'? Also, '..said a friend of the husband...' what husband? Girlfriends have boyfriends, not husbands, don't they? No disrespect, but is a correctly reported/ worded story so difficult?

RIP to the Norwegian. Condolences to his family. All the best for a quick and full recovery for his girlfriend...

wai.gif

Sad.....I have ridden a motorcycle here for 13 years straight. About 10 years ago I had the green light, and a Thai ran the red light and crashed into me. So I now have a wrecked shoulder for life...... Now when the light turns green for me, I wait a few seconds for all the orange light runners to clear the intersection before proceeding. If I come up to a green light, I slow down a bit and check in both directions before I cross.

I ride a Honda PCX 125 for last 3yrs and enjoy the simplicity of the scooter, no changing gears, great excelleration and stopping. I am usuall ahead of the traffic and always keep in mind the rear approaching traffic, always looking for the Pizza delivery bike w00t.gif that swirves and dodging slower in control bikes. After all the near misses he causes in his hurry delivery mode, he too waits for the green light...at this point I stop close to him and tell him in hand signs he will someday crash from his driving habbits...raising his helmet cover and saying something in Thai seem that he has no value on his life! I left the red light slowly and he seemed that the urgency on delivery was even GREATER now...yes a near miss occured on his early departure from red to green...wow! Later in week I passed to see his bike jammed under a tourist bus..his Pizza flag on rear of bike confirmed this...aw..another one off the road! To add icing on the cake..I was behind the fellow whom crased, his arm bandaged and road rash show on his Pizza jacket..he road on back of a taxi bike.clap2.gif ...I did not pass this fellow as I knew he would be more up set to see me in that his antics of driving the way he did ended..a cold pizza, his bike wrecked...not sure if insurance covers commercial useblink.png ..these fellows do not know the differance...if they did they would slow down and drive like they had a crate of eggs!thumbsup.gif

The best advise is to drive defensive, I wear full coverage helmet..not a mountain bike helmet...seen a foreigner using one..stupid! I brought with me a ""Xelement Men's Armored Black and Grey Tri-Tex Fabric and Leather Trim Jacket with Level-3 Advanced Armor and Kevlar Protection" from Canada with leather gloves...I wear a dust mask for full protection from bus exhausts....dress for a crash and know this is a war!...always be aware..and focused.

I hope this helps us foreigners in the battle to keep alive while driving...Ron thumbsup.gif

What a nice person you are, the icing on your cake being to see the guy bandaged and roadrashed!

Enjoy your time riding around in your black and grey armoured anorak celebrating the misfortune of others (regardless of how it was caused).

• Like 1

Not that it makes any difference now to this poor guy, his girlfriend and his family and friends, but why does the story say 'while driving' when it later states his girlfriend 'was on the back of the bike'? Also, '..said a friend of the husband...' what husband? Girlfriends have boyfriends, not husbands, don't they? No disrespect, but is a correctly reported/ worded story so difficult?

RIP to the Norwegian. Condolences to his family. All the best for a quick and full recovery for his girlfriend...

wai.gif

Exactly, it makes no difference. Is it so difficult for you to just read a report and accept it as it is, ie. perfectly understandable?

• Like 1

I can give you a number of things to look for when driving in Thailand, as a instructor for commercial vehicles and driver for over 40 plus years pertaining to this accident I can give you this but first R.I.P to the victim and my sympathy to the family and friends and now jail time to the Thai Driver. Guarantee this was not his first time only the first time he killed someone the madness will slow but never end honestly start to enforce the law as it was intented and a greater punitive damage to the victim.

These few rules taught by commercial instructors like myself will hopefully help motorbike and cars drivers in Thailand. The word or suggestion was used here was managed which should also mean defensive.

A. Never put yourself in a bad position, if you do, the chances and % will go up that something will happen.

B. When driving you should " get the big picture " that means you should know what is ahead of you 7 seconds forward.

C. Get into the habit of moving your eyes from left, middle, right and so forth every 3 seconds to know what is around you.

In time all of this will be second nature to a driver.

D. When at a red light as soon as it turns green! COUNT TO YOURSELF 1,2,3, THEN GO! In Thailand if you do that watch

them go through the red? And when you proceed never take it for granted always look on the side that will strike you first!

E. When you go through a green even when it has been green for sometime get into the habit of applying all the above and

you will find this will help from A-E!

Good luck and everyone stay safe?

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

First of all, condolensces to his family and friends. I live in Udon, but have been to Khon Kaen many times It is as dangerous and unpredictable as stated, but no more so than any other busy place in Thailand. It would be more effective for Western Drivers to think of themselves as PROFESSIONAL drivers and Thai drivers much as you would as JUVENILE. Hopefully, driver education in Thailand will improve, with time.(Lots of Time). There is no sense in assuming Thai drivers will observe safety rules and signs. This simply will not happen and we must assume that we are in constant danger every time we put ourselves on the road. That means NOT assuming its safe just because we have the RIGHT of WAY.

• Like 1

for all you who dont like the way thais drive, either learn to deal with it, or take a bus to suvarnabhumi, get on a plane and go back wherever you came from.... really tired of farong complaining about everything,,,, you dont have to live in this country, you are all here by choice,,, live with it or get the f*** out,,,, but please just stop your old-man whining...

+1 At last someone with some common sense.

Side note to anyone negotiating any road junction here, Watch the traffic not the lights. Regardless of what the Honda Jazz driver did or didn't do, had the bike rider looked at the traffic he would have seen that the Jazz wasn't going to stop.

• Like 2

an idiots reckless selfish act has destroyed anothers life, but can he be blamed for his behaviour when it appears that these people lack any or little accountability, perhaps its the government and or the parents to blame, what a waste of life. I hope this guy pays thru the nose and then some

I can give you a number of things to look for when driving in Thailand, as a instructor for commercial vehicles and driver for over 40 plus years pertaining to this accident I can give you this but first R.I.P to the victim and my sympathy to the family and friends and now jail time to the Thai Driver. Guarantee this was not his first time only the first time he killed someone the madness will slow but never end honestly start to enforce the law as it was intented and a greater punitive damage to the victim.

These few rules taught by commercial instructors like myself will hopefully help motorbike and cars drivers in Thailand. The word or suggestion was used here was managed which should also mean defensive.

A. Never put yourself in a bad position, if you do, the chances and % will go up that something will happen.

B. When driving you should " get the big picture " that means you should know what is ahead of you 7 seconds forward.

C. Get into the habit of moving your eyes from left, middle, right and so forth every 3 seconds to know what is around you.

In time all of this will be second nature to a driver.

D. When at a red light as soon as it turns green! COUNT TO YOURSELF 1,2,3, THEN GO! In Thailand if you do that watch

them go through the red? And when you proceed never take it for granted always look on the side that will strike you first!

E. When you go through a green even when it has been green for sometime get into the habit of applying all the above and

you will find this will help from A-E!

Good luck and everyone stay safe?

With all due respect, item D in your list could get people killed if they followed it. They'll be collected by a very late runner or one that is difficult to detect. I once had a motor home run a left turn red long after the green. My problem was that I was hanging back and timing the green and I did not realize that, by his speed, he had intended to run his left turn red (going too fast to stop - heard that one before). So I had some speed on when I entered the intersection. I tried to evade as I watched his 30 feet length - seemingly in slow motion - cross in front of me;but I managed to just clip his rear bumper and put a 90 degree bend in it.

• Like 1

Like I always say`:

In Thailand, it is safer to drive through a red light after having looked both ways, than it is driving through a green light without looking.

Now a life was taken because of this nonsense.

RIP.

I Guess the person causing the accident was thinking the same as you.

Better to drive on red................oops there is an idiot driving on Green.

• Like 1

Terrible and RIP.

Even if I have a green light I still enter the intersection with extreem caution. So many thais just don't give a damn about red lights and just see them as an obstacle to go around.

• Like 1

Usual start
to any post regarding Thai driving and traffic in Thailand are the words RIP so
sadly once again R.I.P to the Norwegian man and I hope his GF makes a full
recovery, the standard of driving appears to drop to a below zero standard
around Songkran time every five minutes somebody else killed on the Thai roads,
eventually someone in the Thai government will have to say enough is enough and
everyone will need to pass an intelligence test to find out if they have
sufficient aptitude to get behind the wheel of a vehicle. And until such a time
that this happens we falangs will just have to be extra vigilant on the Thai
roads.

We should not call events like this an 'accident'. Calling it an 'accident' implies that it is somehow beyond prevention.

This was a collision, or a crash. It was never an 'accident.' As a collision it was preventable with obvious cause and effect. Another word to use is 'crash.'

See how it reads if you substitute the word 'accident' with 'collide' or 'crash.'

for all you who dont like the way thais drive, either learn to deal with it, or take a bus to suvarnabhumi, get on a plane and go back wherever you came from.... really tired of farong complaining about everything,,,, you dont have to live in this country, you are all here by choice,,, live with it or get the **** out,,,, but please just stop your old-man whining...

I live here.

I spend 100% of all my money and salaries here.

I feed my family (wife) and her family.

I contribute with more funds to the society than 99% of the population does.

I have earned the damn right to complain about stuff here.

If you drive like them, it is because you lower yourself to their level of stupidity. The way they drive is completely heratic, stupid and without even a parcel of cleverness. Thailand is ranked 6th for the number of road casualities. This just means that they are the problem in here. As I previously said, the Thai roads are exceptionally safe. The people driving on it aren't.

Let me tell you about the discussion I had with a Thai not so long ago. We were talking about these small Esarn roads where the motorcycles drive illegally all the time. The surprise was when he told me that he drive "die for free". This means that if you hit someone, you just leave him there. Now, answer my question: why should I leave this country that I cherrish and love the most for the benefit of a "die for free" man who respect less his own race than I do? Obviously, you just taught the same way they does towards foreigners.

Besides, I had 2 car accidents since the last 6 months. The funniest part is that I haven't paid any dammage on my car, the Thais that were in infraction did. Thailand has exactly the same road safety code than any other country. The difference here is that the police won't run at you for a ticket if you commit an infration. Once you get an accident, the one who is in infraction is going to pay for the dammage of the others except if you die. Wanna drive like them? Just follow these driving "aces". However, do not get any car accidents because you might be the one taking the plane on your way back home after your jail sentence.

• Like 2

As Thailand drives on the left side of the road the same as the UK,it is worth noting that in the UK Highway code on Green Light means you can go if it is Safe ,so therefore approaching any Green Traffic Light, or any unmarked road Junction you must look Right Left and Right again on your approach, and before you move off at a Green Light.

I hope this can be of help to any Ex Pat not familier with driving on the left side of the road, my Sincere Condolences to the Norwegian rider and i pray that his girlfriend makes a speedy recover. Ex UK Approved Driving Instructor

Thai driver runs thru' a red-light..many, many of these junctions have cameras fitted above..do any of these <deleted> get fined/repremanded??

Does any member of the Royal Thai Police ever monitor the video tapes? Does any recording ever take place? Somehow I very much doubt it!

R.i.P. the poor innocent man, & I too wish his lady a full recovery.. :-(

I live here.

So complaining is the way to go....

But what is it that you are complaining about? (Consider that I do not have time to read a brick)

You can follow all the rules yourself, but how do you you protect yourself from the stupidity and arrogance of others.

I suggest keeping the eyes open and not assuming that people will stop at red lights will help. In Pattaya I never assume people will stop at red lights.

I live here.

You have not earned any damn thing in Thailand no matter how much you "contribute" as long as

you are not a native Thai.