39 Road Deaths On First Day Of Songkran's Seven Dangerous Days

Lite Beer

39 road deaths on first day of Songkran's 'seven dangerous days'
By Digital Media

13657491175159-640x390x2.png

BANGKOK, April 12 -- A total of 39 deaths and 342 injuries in 326 Thailand road accidents nationwide was reported on Thursday, the first day of the Songkran holiday's "seven dangerous days", Minister of Transport Chadchart Sittipunt said here on Friday.

Mr Chadchart said that according to statistics recorded by the Road Safety Centre, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation on April 11, the first day of the seven day campaign to cut road accidents, there were 326 road accidents, 17 less than the first day of the previous year; 39 died, nine more than last year's daily record and 342 were injured, 31 less than last year.

Drunken driving remains the major cause of accidents at nearly one in three -- 29 per cent -- followed by speeding, he said.

The highest number of accidents on Thursday, 14, occurred equally in the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat and the northern province of Chiang Mai followed by Nakhon Ratchasima with 13 accidents, he said.

Chiang Mai also saw the most injuries, with 17 people. MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-12

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 killed on roads on 'first of seven dangerous Songkran days'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A total of 39 deaths were reported killed in the road accidents on the first day of seven dangerous days of Songkran festival, the Road Safety Centre announced Friday.

On Thursday, the first day of the seven dangerous days, saw 39 deaths and 342 injuries in 326 road accidents, Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt told a press conference Friday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-12

March Madness in the US, Songkran in Thailand. We should start making office pools for the count. The officials make it like some kind of tournament or something. I admit that I myself am curious about the daily count. 100 baht on 350!

could happen anywhere.

A thai apologist has chimed in.

It must be terrible waking up every morning in a country whose population you despise and not being able to do anything about it.

• Like 2

good job they banned booze huh

Banned booze? Thats a joke. Was enjoying the watergames here in CM and booze was been freely sold in the bar.

People carrying beer bottles on the streets right in the middle of Thapea Gate.

All as usual.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I used to hate the xxxxx smearing crap all over my vehicles and smiling as they destroyed my paintwork and wasted my time.

Limit it to 48 hours and you can avoid it. You cannot lock yourself up for 10 days each year because of this nonsense.

Agreed. Why can't they restrict it to private property, too?

Maybe ? if a politician's child or family member becomes a "victim" and is killed by of one of these unlicensed,? inexperienced,? drunk,? speeding road users, as they are obviously not careful "drivers" who respect other road users. Then maybe they will enforce the law and bring some sanity to stop this genocide on the roads. But what dreams may come. ?????

39 in one day is less than the daily average for the year.

Approx 20,000 / 365 = 54 per day.

Actually a gov minister just a few weeks back said it was up to 26,000. So it's an even better improvement. whistling.gif