I Give Up......

theblether

The op sounds like a real idiot

Tsk tsk....another constructive comment from the Einstein of ThaiVisa.

Having said that....give over theblether....you've never given up on anything....except the sack race when you were 8. tongue.png

• Like 2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago, using my best Thai, in a store, I asked for a shirt with a fifteen and a half neck size. The assistant replied in really pleasant english that they didn't sell Tigers.

Still got the shirt though.smile.png

The Reef's the same. The only beer they have on tap is Guinness

I still get the piss taken for me thinking 'fon dtoc boi boi' meant to take a shower, 5 years after saying it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

smile.png fon dtok bproi bproi does mean to shower upon, or drizzly rain.

Note to self......never ever use that phrase. ermm.gif

Certainly not with 'Im arriving' anyway

• Like 1

Come??? blink.png

I'll need to be careful with that one mellow.png

you must have heard - Ma, Layo Layo! (Come on hurry up) to which you reply - Na Tee Khap! (Just a minute)

Then you need to learn how you say, put your knickers on love, make us a cup of tea!

Edited by enyaw
  • Like 1

What a crusty old curmudgeon (re-edit that in your own minds!) I hope you are happy in your own little world, clearly lacking the ability to enjoy humour. coffee1.gif

@ Smokie.... cheesy.gif .

What a crusty old curmudgeon (re-edit that in your own minds!) I hope you are happy in your own little world, clearly lacking the ability to enjoy humour. coffee1.gif

@ Smokie.... cheesy.gif .

A quick perusal of basketcase breadbin's postings would indicate there is not much joy left in this crusty loaf laugh.png

Next time instead of using a aloy mak, say to them sap illi der.

Means same as so delicious, and they always smile when a falang uses it.

sap......illi......der

Just say it phonetically? no inflections?

A lady of my acquaintance tells me that this is an isaan term. So that should stand you in good stead shortly. wink.png

She thought you wanted to eat dog because you said 'maa' instead of 'maak'.

Yes but apparently maa means different things depending upon the tone?

If you'd been in IKEA you'd have gotten a meatball.

sap......illi......der

A lady of my acquaintance tells me that this is an isaan term. So that should stand you in good stead shortly. wink.png

It is indeed an Isaan term.

Is 'hansum' not Laos?

So there's me at the Muay Thai training, thinking I'm doing well learning Thai as I go along.

Sai, kwa!! sai, kwa!! sai sai sai!! ( left right left right left left left )

Sog kwa ( right elbow ) sog sai ( work it out for yourself, no one is that thick )

Anyway emboldened by my new language skills I asked a lady why whenever I say aroy mak mak ( delicious ) ladies often reply to me aroy ma. So she explained it's like very very much, and very much.

So she then taught me how to say I like to eat very much ( which is true ) so she said Schop geen mak mak. Okay......I can do.

Anyway further emboldened by my new language skills I was in my local restaurant last night, talking to the owner and a waitress with perfect English and I said......

Schop geen ma

The girl look horrified and said......you like to eat dog??

I said NOOOOOO!!!! I like to eat very much......

She said......you like to eat dog very much?? ( looking incredulous and horrified in equal measure )

Nooooo!!!!

But you say Schop geen ma......that means you like to eat dog......

No it doesn't......it means I like to eat very much

I am Thai......I speak Thai fluent, I know what you say.....you like to eat dog.

Okay, fork it......I like to eat dog, dog aroy mak mak.

Nearly passing out with shock.....she said, where you get dog in Chiang Mai?

I said Vietnam man in Soi 2, 40 baht old dog, 100 baht for puppy......mee ow kao.

You eat puppy dog?

Yes, I like puppy tail very much.

Now truly disgusted she said.......get out of restaurant, or I will phone the police.

<deleted>?......I'm finished with this language, it's just too dangerous

The tones are essential. Like in French, unless you pronounce them perfectly nobody understands you. Frustrating but it can be done. I find over enunciating the tone does the trick but it helps if you tone down your own accent if you have one.

If you were in Ikea the ma could have ben interepted as maa and you would have got your horsemeat meat balls .

(i also had to add the second "meat" as english is also open to misunderstanding)

I still can't hear the difference between ma, ma, ma ,ma and maaa.

• Like 1

So there's me at the Muay Thai training, thinking I'm doing well learning Thai as I go along.

Sai, kwa!! sai, kwa!! sai sai sai!! ( left right left right left left left )

Sog kwa ( right elbow ) sog sai ( work it out for yourself, no one is that thick )

Anyway emboldened by my new language skills I asked a lady why whenever I say aroy mak mak ( delicious ) ladies often reply to me aroy ma. So she explained it's like very very much, and very much.

So she then taught me how to say I like to eat very much ( which is true ) so she said Schop geen mak mak. Okay......I can do.

Anyway further emboldened by my new language skills I was in my local restaurant last night, talking to the owner and a waitress with perfect English and I said......

Schop geen ma

The girl look horrified and said......you like to eat dog??

I said NOOOOOO!!!! I like to eat very much......

She said......you like to eat dog very much?? ( looking incredulous and horrified in equal measure )

Nooooo!!!!

But you say Schop geen ma......that means you like to eat dog......

No it doesn't......it means I like to eat very much

I am Thai......I speak Thai fluent, I know what you say.....you like to eat dog.

Okay, fork it......I like to eat dog, dog aroy mak mak.

Nearly passing out with shock.....she said, where you get dog in Chiang Mai?

I said Vietnam man in Soi 2, 40 baht old dog, 100 baht for puppy......mee ow kao.

You eat puppy dog?

Yes, I like puppy tail very much.

Now truly disgusted she said.......get out of restaurant, or I will phone the police.

<deleted>?......I'm finished with this language, it's just too dangerous

The tones are essential. Like in French, unless you pronounce them perfectly nobody understands you. Frustrating but it can be done. I find over enunciating the tone does the trick but it helps if you tone down your own accent if you have one.

If you were in Ikea the ma could have ben interepted as maa and you would have got your horsemeat meat balls .

(i also had to add the second "meat" as english is also open to misunderstanding)

I still can't hear the difference between ma, ma, ma ,ma and maaa.

I am sorry , somebody got in before me with the Ikea thing.

sap......illi......der

it's Lao dialect, Sap or Sep I know means the same as Aroi. Lao dialect they use what sounds like Boar instead of Mai.

Sep Boar = Aroi Mai.

So if you know someone who is from far north east isaan (most of Pattaya) and they are chomping on something, you can cheerfully enquire Sep Boar!

To which they will reply with enthusiasm Sep! or Sluurp!

Edited by enyaw

Impressive tB - Muay Thai and learning the language!! Remember to learn words like "block, move, duck (not the animal)" etc. thumbsup.gif

I remember going to Korea and impressing them with Korean expressions such as "mid section front puch, turning kick and backfist". Must try the same in Thai.

My missus is a teacher, and it's awful learnig from her. I'm sure she changes words and muffles sounds just to wind me up. The kids are trilingual and love asking me to say snake (ngoo) in Thai. They fall about laughing saying I keep saying mouse (noo).

The big difficulty for me is the tones - and inconsistent experential feedback - some people have no trouble understanding me, others just can't understand a word I say (same in English come to think of it).

I'm not giving up and will keep trying............

Good luck and happy Songkran.

Thanks very much.....i find the repetitive nature of the training to be helpful with the building blocks of the language. I'm learning far more this time around than ever before as the language is alive to me.

To be honest I would rather have a large breasted young lady teaching me Thai than a sweaty Thai guy who was knockin' eight bells of sh-t out of me while I was trying to concentrate on the tones.wai2.gif

• Like 1

Thanks very much.....i find the repetitive nature of the training to be helpful with the building blocks of the language. I'm learning far more this time around than ever before as the language is alive to me.

To be honest I would rather have a large breasted young lady teaching me Thai than a sweaty Thai guy who was knockin' eight bells of sh-t out of me while I was trying to concentrate on the tones.wai2.gif

That's because you believe the means is more important than the end. tB would probably rather have a buxom blonde teach him Muay Thai, if his only aim was to learn Muay Thai, but his health is at steak

SC

That's because you believe the means is more important than the end. tB would probably rather have a buxom blonde teach him Muay Thai, if his only aim was to learn Muay Thai, but his health is at steak

SC

Rarely are your middle of the road comments so well cooked SC.

• Like 1

SC

Well lets hope he doesnt get a bellyfull of it and give up.

SC

It's hard to imagine a bellyful for tB. Not unless you've got a very big imagination

SC

• Like 1

SC

It's hard to imagine a bellyful for tB. Not unless you've got a very big imagination

SC

Its what calzone was invented for. w00t.gif