I Give Up......

theblether

That's because you believe the means is more important than the end. tB would probably rather have a buxom blonde teach him Muay Thai, if his only aim was to learn Muay Thai, but his health is at steak

SC

Rarely are your middle of the road comments so well cooked SC.

Well lets hope he doesnt get a bellyfull of it and give up.

It's hard to imagine a bellyful for tB. Not unless you've got a very big imagination

SC

SOOOOOOOOOOO cruel.....

clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you might hear him holler "SAI KWA" as he kicks it into touch. tongue.png

^^^^^,

The question is, is he enough of a man to eat it, or does he have the stomach for it?

He's got the stomach for it, but he might be man enough to walk away

Are you sure you dont mean waddle away?

Certain....I don't associate with ducks thank you very much. I thought I had made that clear previously.

• Like 2

Next time instead of using a aloy mak, say to them sap illi der.

Means same as so delicious, and they always smile when a falang uses it.

sap......illi......der

Just say it phonetically? no inflections?

exactly as it sounds just the der bit say it derrr. They really enjoy a westerner saying that about their food.
  • Like 1

Next time instead of using a aloy mak, say to them sap illi der.

Means same as so delicious, and they always smile when a falang uses it.

sap......illi......der

Just say it phonetically? no inflections?

A lady of my acquaintance tells me that this is an isaan term. So that should stand you in good stead shortly.

Issans easier than Thai. Thais understand sap illi der no problem. Heres some more instead of aroi mak mak,you can say aroyJung loi, sap lie lie derr. All means similar thing. Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

She thought you wanted to eat dog because you said 'maa' instead of 'maak'.

Yes but apparently maa means different things depending upon the tone?

Yes, maa has various meaning depending on the tone, but 'very' is not one of them. You simply didn't pronounce the k to make it 'maak'.

Yes, maa has various meaning depending on the tone, but 'very' is not one of them. You simply didn't pronounce the k to make it 'maak'.

That's adding to my confusion, I hear women saying aroy ma just about every day, that's why I asked for an explanation as I mentioned in my OP. I will say though that it's maybe my fault, as I'm possibly mis-hearing.

That's adding to my confusion, I hear women saying aroy ma just about every day, that's why I asked for an explanation as I mentioned in my OP. I will say though that it's maybe my fault, as I'm possibly mis-hearing.

it's aroy na.

it's aroy na.

It's aroy mai...

it's aroy na.

Aroy na?

it's aroy na.

It's aroy mai...

All of the above are correct. Ma -very arroy, na- polite particle ( mostly used by women, either question or answer depending on tone), mai - arroy no ? (question).

• Like 1

it's aroy na.

Aroy na?

err err!

I used to fall foul of the tone rules....

when going out to ride my bike Instead of saying : "I'm off now to go and ride my bike in the mountains" I would say; "I'm off now to go and shit my bike out up in the mountains"

Ah, how to make friends and influence people, start speaking Issan to them. LOL

Try speaking it down south, no one would understand it, I doubt many up north speak it, there are others in Bkk who pretend not to speak it for fear of being seen as an upcountry bumpkin.

Your right. There's south Thai, Bangkok Thai, Chiang mai Thai, Issan Thai and then I've heard there's more dialects in various villages. Suppose for most it's about where your partner is from.

Edited by krisb

Try speaking it down south, no one would understand it, I doubt many up north speak it, there are others in Bkk who pretend not to speak it for fear of being seen as an upcountry bumpkin.

Issan is used in Issan. In Bangkok or CM, an Issanite uses the Thai language. Not many from outside issan can speak the language there's no need. Some Issan is the same as Thai but lots isn't.

Issan is used in Issan. In Bangkok or CM, an Issanite uses the Thai language. Not many from outside issan can speak the language there's no need. Some Issan is the same as Thai but lots isn't.

Depends what you define as Issan, my mates wife from KK cant understand my mates wife from Surin.

One is speaking lets say a Lao dialect, the other a Khmer dialect, there also another in the same area, Suay I think its called.

In Korat I here them mostly speaking Central Thai, but once you get into the sticks, its anyones guess as to what they speak.

As for Southern Thai, forget it, totally incomprehensible to my ears.

• Like 1

On the subject of tones, how can Thai deaf people lip read???? Or is that not possible.

Just wondering

I thought sign luangage was universal....

Imagine if you knew it you could speak to a Chinese fluently without speaking a word.

• Like 1

On the subject of tones, how can Thai deaf people lip read???? Or is that not possible.

Just wondering

There is a Thaivisa member that taught themselves Thai by lip reading, I won't name that member but it's quite incredible.

Depends what you define as Issan, my mates wife from KK cant understand my mates wife from Surin.

One is speaking lets say a Lao dialect, the other a Khmer dialect, there also another in the same area, Suay I think its called.

In Korat I here them mostly speaking Central Thai, but once you get into the sticks, its anyones guess as to what they speak.

As for Southern Thai, forget it, totally incomprehensible to my ears.

Yeah too many dialects. Burirum has some Khmer dialect going on also.

Had a wee conversation with the boss tonight over dinner and we were talking about thr difference that tones can make. At the moment everyone is wishing each other "sawadee pee mai" I asked her what difference the tones could make to that and the answers ranged from, Happy new sister, brother or fabric funnily enough, or an un-understandable new brother or sisters fabric, I think. At that point I gave up. Seems also, and I didn't know before, that Pee is said like a combination of P and B together. The mind boggles.