The Battle Of My Life.......

theblether

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez blether, I'm glad I never stole strawberries oot o your garden when I was a wee nipper,,,

That 100 mtr time must've been pushin Allan wells when he was at age,,,

Oh now I see you're age,, you'd have been even younger a nipper than me at that time

Good luck to you. I am surprised you didn't cop for diabetes. Good to give that a miss. I didn't. Finding your motivation is key to everything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Jeez blether, I'm glad I never stole strawberries oot o your garden when I was a wee nipper,,,

That 100 mtr time must've been pushin Allan wells when he was at age,,,

Oh now I see you're age,, you'd have been even younger a nipper than me at that time

I was some specimen back then, my Mum has a photo framed of me at 15 totally ripped, and I would say it was the farm work that did it. That was the first thing to stop when the skin condition started. sad.png

Good luck to you. I am surprised you didn't cop for diabetes. Good to give that a miss. I didn't. Finding your motivation is key to everything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's always in the back of my mind......I must be a prime candidate for Type 2 Diabetes but the blood tests say I'm clear at the minute. I'm more concerned about my blood pressure just now though. I've been a consistent 142/90 for about 30 years, which the Doc says is at the higher end of acceptable. When my blood pressure was taken in BKK in January it was 172/120......not good. I went to see my Doc in the UK and he measured back at it's consistent level.

I guess the heat and stress of traveling was a factor in the BKK number, but it's still a major concern.

First of easy does it it took you a while to get to this weight so don't rush to get it off. I know i wanted to loose weight fast as i was not happy with it. In the end it is all about keeping it up not going fast. Story of the hare and the turtle.

As you are obviously a lot overweight at first it should go fast and an other thing to consider is that you are probably (i could be wrong) not in the best shape of your life. So the training program should start slowly too. Personally I would use a combination of weight lifting and cardio with cardio for weight loss and weight lifting for holding on to muscle as much as possible.

The fact that you are already in a caloric deficit and not in hunger is good, stay there don't change it too much. Once the weight loss stops its time to look at your food program and exercise program again. I believe that restricting food is in general easier and will lead to results faster as exercising. It is quite hard to burn 500 calories.

Have you ever checked your thyroid ? Just eating alone can account for your weight but there might be other issues too.

You should also check your blood sugar to see if you are diabetic or maybe close to it as it would also mean that carbohydrates should be avoided more.

Later when you progress more i can give you more advice and that can be done by pm too. Right now do what you are doing and as long as you are loosing weight its good.

You cant expect your food and training to be perfect right from the start you will have to perfect it slowly as loosing weight will become harder as you progress.

• Like 2

As for the weight training, one of the exercises that i would get in it would be squat and maybe deadlifts (only if you can get someone to explain both of them) These are compound exercises and real good for you. However they need to be explained good and deadlift might be hard if you cant find a place with light but high diameter weights.

Still things like squat and dead-lift, maybe bench press or incline bench press should be included as they are considered the basic exercises. If you were to do those 3 at light weights to get the form down they will certainly help you hold onto muscles. Don't go too heavy.

But this is real important you need to have proper guidance for the form, if you can get that down the exercises are safe.

Personally i would ease into it meaning higher reps and low weights to get the movement back in your mind. Don't go too heavy as it is real tempting but you will regret it later. Later you could go for something that is called 5 x 5 from stronglifts or any such program.

Problem is a bit that it should fit into the rest of your program as it can be demanding on your body. It all depends on time and how you heal and what else you do.

But for now just squats / incline or flat benchpress / (deadlifts if possible) but all at real light weight and high reps to get the motion back into your mind and light weights as you dont want to hurt too much. I mean your muscles are not used to it and you would hurt a lot else.

At least you see the issue. Many keep hitting the ignore button. I could do with losing 20kg myself. Alcohol and soft drinks are my enemy. Even fruit juice is loaded with sugar ,even the juices claiming no added sugar are loaded with the stuff.

Keep up the training, keep off the fats and sugar and good luck mate!

• Like 2

Good advice robblok, conditioning the memory of your muscles is important as it prevents injury. You're also correct in regards to being careful of the demands on my body. The last time I did Muay Thai I allowed myself to be pushed too hard and it hit my core hard. It knocked the stuffing out of me and that's a bad thing to say the least. Highly demotivational.

I'll begin as you suggest this week......I will say that although I'm a big guy you would most likely be amazed at my mobility and training capacity. There will be a video made this week which I'll pm to you to give you an idea of where I'm at.

At least you see the issue. Many keep hitting the ignore button. I could do with losing 20kg myself. Alcohol and soft drinks are my enemy. Even fruit juice is loaded with sugar ,even the juices claiming no added sugar are loaded with the stuff.

Keep up the training, keep off the fats and sugar and good luck mate!

It is better to eat fruit then drink fruit juice (love fruit juice too) but because you don't have the fibers and such you can consume much more fruit juice and not feel full. You would not be able to eat the same amount of fruit.

I sometimes take a bit of expensive imported red grapefruit juice from the usa in plastic bottles believe around 140 bt or so. But that is a treat to me and i know its not the best thing to do.

Alcohol is a big enemy and so are soft drinks by cutting down on that you win a lot. But its a choice and a priority its all about what you like best.

Good advice robblok, conditioning the memory of your muscles is important as it prevents injury. You're also correct in regards to being careful of the demands on my body. The last time I did Muay Thai I allowed myself to be pushed too hard and it hit my core hard. It knocked the stuffing out of me and that's a bad thing to say the least. Highly demotivational.

I'll begin as you suggest this week......I will say that although I'm a big guy you would most likely be amazed at my mobility and training capacity. There will be a video made this week which I'll pm to you to give you an idea of where I'm at.

Its just important to get the motion back in your memory so the movement is preformed correctly. That works better at high reps then low reps plus it allows you to start off slow.

I have done stupid things concerning training too.. like after a long break going full in.. you always regret that the next few days.. but even worse would be if you get a muscle injury. So far i have escaped with only minor problems but i do a good warm-up now i never used to do that. I changed a bit because an injury can really set you back.

• Like 1

I used to detest warm up's and warm down's, now I know they are integral to training. When you get older your body starts to creak sad.png

agree.. now i do them (at least the warm-ups)

I've always done warm up exercises, even when not training at all. It helps avoid injuries I think especially given my job can be quite physical at times.

@tb....try this place for a pleasant swim now and then....its usually very quiet, not the cheapest but you will enjoy it.

http://www.therealcentreoftheuniverse.com/

• Like 1

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

This might be good for you after you get the movements going it is not real long and might be compatible with your other things.

I have done a version of this program and got good results even though i was reasonably strong already. But dieting for long did make me loose some strength

Well, I only know two metrics about you: Your weight, and your TV post count (6337, until you answer this.)

It leads to the natural question... How much time do you spend online each day? Part of the problem might be lack of an active lifestyle.

I expect that TV is not the only online forum in which you participate. BTW, I spend much too much time on my fat butt surfing the internet each day, so I'm not just randomly slinging arrows.

My challenge to you is, set up a "price" you will pay for each online post. I will suggest something like 5 minutes outdoors walking for each post you want to make. Rain or shine. An hour of walking earns you 12 posts, whether on TV, FB or anywhere else. Oh, and you have to pay the price before making the post -- no advance credit given.

Even a moderate level of physical activity is worlds better than sitting at the desk, or in bed, or wherever.

• Like 1

Well, I only know two metrics about you: Your weight, and your TV post count (6337, until you answer this.)

It leads to the natural question... How much time do you spend online each day? Part of the problem might be lack of an active lifestyle.

I expect that TV is not the only online forum in which you participate. BTW, I spend much too much time on my fat butt surfing the internet each day, so I'm not just randomly slinging arrows.

My challenge to you is, set up a "price" you will pay for each online post. I will suggest something like 5 minutes outdoors walking for each post you want to make. Rain or shine. An hour of walking earns you 12 posts, whether on TV, FB or anywhere else. Oh, and you have to pay the price before making the post -- no advance credit given.

Even a moderate level of physical activity is worlds better than sitting at the desk, or in bed, or wherever.

Look at my post count..

I dont lead an active life but workout a lot. Still would be better if i walked too. But a good food program and exercise can help a lot.

Just an extra remark, i would go lowish carb in this case so try to skip the rice and stuff as much as possible and if you take carbs take them in small amounts. You said it yourself your still in the clear but high range. That could mean you are insulin sensitive and loose weight easier if you have dont take to much carbs.

So go more for meat and chicken and veggies less for rice.

• Like 1

You would be surprised to hear - you are what you eat. I should know.

I've just turned 49. At 46 I had two heart-attacks - I was 81kg at the time. At 5'11", I have never ever been overweight (according to the American Heart Foundation scales). Now I am only 77kg.

I have never smoked but occasionally binged on alcohol when younger. Now I drink very moderately about 2-3 times per week. My cholesterol was "normal". But I have the worst family history my cardiologist has ever seen in his career (no male on either side of both sides of my very large Irish / Catholic good-breeders family has ever lived past 60 & all except 2 died of heart attacks - 1 in WW2 & the other from Melanoma - after he had survived 2 heart attacks as well). My problem? Stress. As a lawyer that was inevitable. I was the youngest, fittest patient in the coronary care unit.

When I left hospital my views on food changed. I have dropped my Cholesterol now down to just 1.8!! And I assure you that is not a typo. The weight has come off and stayed off. I meticulously look at any processed ingredients to check the Fat Content. Always go the "Low fat". And you must trim fat off meat before you cook it - not after!!

Now - one other thing - after a few months your taste buds actually get used to the food. You become repulsed by fatty food & they almost make you sick.

So now I am down even further in weight - not deliberately, but because of my training and, for 3 days per week only, my strict cardio diet. Yep - on 3 days per week I follow a diet that is easy to prepare and is used to pre-prepare heart surgery candidates who are too fat for surgery. It is a soup which can be cooked in bulk & frozen - so you can defrost it easily.

The Heart Foundation Weight Loss Recipe - 3 days per week

500gm fat trimmed beef, chopped

3 tomatoes

5 cups water

4 chicken stock cubes

2 cans sliced green beans (better fresh if you can)

2 large cans crushed tomatoes

2 cans Beef Soup or Consomme - Low fat remember!

Chilli to taste (not compulsory!) + Pepper to taste!

1 kg carrots

1 bunch celery - chopped

1 sweet potato (large)

1 bunch spring onions

1 pkt dry vegetable soup

No salt!

Combine all ingredients. Boil the crap out of it for 10 minutes and then simmer, stirring frequently until veges cooked. Job Done!

For variety, I add Italian Pesto & combine with some Pasta Spirals as a Minestrone.

If you stick to this 3 nights per week you will keep up the energy levels & keep a sure downwards trajectory in your weight loss.

For me, apart from staying alive for the sake of it, I now have one further motivation. I now finally have a fmily - my Thai GF and I now have a 2 month-old daughter.

I wish you luck my friend - life isn't a test run - we only get one shot at it!

Being fit will not prevent you having heart problems if you have a poor diet or bad habits especially if you have a family history.

I think your C levels are too low at 1.8. Even thou I am not a great believer in C levels per se low levels are not so good. You need cholesterol for many of the body's functions. You would definitely benefit from omega 3 supplementation via fish oil or flaxseed oil. Garlic for blood pressure is good.

I would dump any pasta our of my diet and replace it with good quality brown rice. In fact limit all carbs to just brown rice and veggies and don't worry about low fat products as fat per se doesn't cause heart problems.

• Like 1

Look at my post count..

I dont lead an active life but workout a lot. Still would be better if i walked too. But a good food program and exercise can help a lot.

I didn't say a high post count causes obesity. But getting offline & out walking can be a big part of the solution. You have my accolades for being able to keep both in balance.

As you suggest in your post, there really are only 2 variables in the equation... How much you take in each day, and how much you burn off each day. Hopefully, you end up regulating both. Part of my suggestion about walking deals with realism... At 160 kg, don't expect to start a rigorous muay thai exercise program. Instead, vigorous walking leading into a moderate exercise is probably a more reasonable plan, at least for now.

I was reading your post and watching the US Masters on tv and noticing how quite a few of those golfers who walk 6 hours a day six days a week are carrying around big guts. It makes you think doesn't it? You can walk as much as you like but you really don't burn off much fat especially if your diet is sub optimal. I spend 10 hours a day on a computer and exercise probably 10 hours a week but it is the type of exercise and most importantly the diet which determines everything.

Look at my post count..

Check out my post count!

Poorly thought out argument....there is nothing wrong with the sharpness of theblether's tongue either. Look out! w00t.gif

No advice to offer I'm afraid but I wish well in you quest for reducing your weight and will follow this thread with interest.

Whilst my weight hasn't reached your scale, it's creeping up, mainly comfort eating and lack of exercise.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

My advice is to try and look at it from a different angle. Forget about trying to lose weight, let loseing weight be a side affect of your change in lifestyle and not the ultimate goal.

Take up low impact sports and exercise, getting an injury when losing large amounts of weight, could be a major set back and could dent confidence. Start off with swimming and cycling. Cycle a real bike and not the stationary ones, they get boring and you can get off them when you feel like it. On a real bike, you have to cycle up that hill and you have to keep cycling until you return home. Also take up walking, walking for an hour or two each evening.

With food, find good foods that you like, eat fresh vegetables and fruits. Limit your food to 5 or 10% meat/fish etc each meal and have the bulk as vegetable and salad.

Stay away from processed food. Something that says "Low Fat" is very high in sugar, they replace one with the other. Vary your food, eat smaller meals, but maybe have more meals each day. Don't eat after 6 pm. Drinks lots and lots and lots of water 6, 7 litres a day or more if you can manage it. Add an electrolyte to your water, 1 a day to replace lost salts and minerals. Dehydration is something that is not usually looked at, but this will leave you feeling tired and lethargic, without realising it.

Change your lifestyle to something that you like doing, as a result in this change the weight will fall off and your blood pressure will reduce.

• Like 2