The Battle Of My Life.......

theblether

Actually very brave of him to put it all out there. Doubt I would, until after I lost it.

Have you seen that doco made from a chap that went on a juice only diet in America and lost a pile of weight.

Now agree or disgaree on the method, but checkout the trucker in it that is huge and eventually decides to do much the same as Blether, simply lose it.

Checkout the difference in him from when he was first met in the truck stop and then at the end of the video. Huge, as in difference.

A pal of mine lost nearly 50kg in a year on a soup only diet. Some shake thing twice a day and lots and lots of cycling.

He has since gained a fair bit....through boredom and alcohol mostly.

Its a state of mind I think....you certainly have plenty of things to occupy you at least tb!

• Like 2

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blether,

there's one thing you should be aware and you have to accept it. people like you (and me) who excelled in sports when young will have to battle weight till they carry us to the crematorium or graveyard. we can win repeatedly battles but we will never win the war! and with age it is getting

tougher and tougher to win a battle. when i was in my mid-30s to mid-40s it was a piece of cake to lose 3-4kg by not touching food for 5 days.

once i panicked returning from a long holiday with delicious food galore and saw my weight 84kg (height 180cm). that caused a record of 13 days zero food (only black coffee, tea with lime and 60 Marlboros), working 12 hours a day and losing 12 kg. i was age 40 then. now at age 69, with a "reconditioned" heart and some other problems which prevent extensive exercise i am 95kg having recently lost 6kg which took me a couple of months. weight loss achieved without any exercise, no special diet but eating small portions 6-8 times a day. and when i'll see the "8" on the scale i will be happy!

I sort of a agree with you in so far as the OP needs to address the underlying emotional issues that have led to his weight issues just as you have indicated that you have had such issues with binging and then starving.

Unless those issues are addressed then the yo yo weight loss weight, weight gain will continue.

I don't necessarily think he needs to accept that he cant do anything about it.

Exercise while helpful for weight loss is not essential as adjustments to diet can shed lots of weight regardless of exercise activity.

Blether,

there's one thing you should be aware and you have to accept it. people like you (and me) who excelled in sports when young will have to battle weight till they carry us to the crematorium or graveyard. we can win repeatedly battles but we will never win the war! and with age it is getting

tougher and tougher to win a battle. when i was in my mid-30s to mid-40s it was a piece of cake to lose 3-4kg by not touching food for 5 days.

once i panicked returning from a long holiday with delicious food galore and saw my weight 84kg (height 180cm). that caused a record of 13 days zero food (only black coffee, tea with lime and 60 Marlboros), working 12 hours a day and losing 12 kg. i was age 40 then. now at age 69, with a "reconditioned" heart and some other problems which prevent extensive exercise i am 95kg having recently lost 6kg which took me a couple of months. weight loss achieved without any exercise, no special diet but eating small portions 6-8 times a day. and when i'll see the "8" on the scale i will be happy!

I sort of a agree with you in so far as the OP needs to address the underlying emotional issues that have led to his weight issues just as you have indicated that you have had such issues with binging and then starving.

Unless those issues are addressed then the yo yo weight loss weight, weight gain will continue.

Exercise while helpful for weight loss is not essential as adjustments to diet can shed lots of weight regardless of exercise activity.

I agree tolly its not needed however it has shown that exercise and diet have synergy and that people who do both keep it off better. But yes diet is the most important part.

Actually very brave of him to put it all out there. Doubt I would, until after I lost it.

Have you seen that doco made from a chap that went on a juice only diet in America and lost a pile of weight.

Now agree or disgaree on the method, but checkout the trucker in it that is huge and eventually decides to do much the same as Blether, simply lose it.

Checkout the difference in him from when he was first met in the truck stop and then at the end of the video. Huge, as in difference.

A pal of mine lost nearly 50kg in a year on a soup only diet. Some shake thing twice a day and lots and lots of cycling.

He has since gained a fair bit....through boredom and alcohol mostly.

Its a state of mind I think....you certainly have plenty of things to occupy you at least tb!

You have to make permanent adjustments else you gain it all back.

We will have to disagree on this.

I find weight loss without exercise is pointless, as you will soon regain the weight you lost.

Fat people have two problems, they eat too much of the wrong things, they don't move around enough.

If you diet (weight loss without exercise) you will just be a bit lighter but still have all the medical problems caused by inactivity.

If you exercise frequently, everything else falls into line, better general health and a better body shape.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

I find weight loss without exercise is pointless, as you will soon regain the weight you lost.

Fat people have two problems, they eat too much of the wrong things, they don't move around enough.

If you diet (weight loss without exercise) you will just be a bit lighter but still have all the medical problems caused by inactivity.

If you exercise frequently, everything else falls into line, better general health and a better body shape.

I agree there but he was talking only about weight loss not about the other benefits.

Morbid obesity was mentioned here. I don't know if the OP is really morbidly obese or not, but I reckon a lot of people don't understand the term and assume all obese people are clinically morbidly obese.

Morbid obesity is something specific. Not all obese people are clinically morbidly obese.

In modern health care, in general it is the morbidly obese that are offered the more radical (and usually but not always effective) options of bariatric surgery. Of course in countries like Thailand probably anyone who has the cash would be accepted as a patient.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4830732_vs-morbid-obesity-health-risks.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Hi

I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goals.

I wonder why some seem able to eat( and drink) what they want, do very little exercise yet don`t put on weight.

Although my comment might seem inappropiate, I`m one of those few, your topic title caught my eye otherwise wouldn`t have read.

Is there more to it than diet and exercise?

For years I wanted to put on weight but simply couldn`t.

Lost that desire but still don`t put on weight.

Similar age to yourself.

A strange trick of nature maybe?

100 % genuine and with my wishes for you to achieve what you want.smile.png

• Like 1

I agree there but he was talking only about weight loss not about the other benefits.
Correct. Of course it is better to add exercise into any weight loss regime but the point is that it is still possible to lose weight without exercise through dietary adjustments.

And even those people who cant exercise for some medical reasons might be able to do something like yoga or pilates or some other type of low impact activity.

Issue with fat loss is the complete lack of instant gratification in any shape or form,

i never did well under such conditions,

so i had to resort to the short-cut, industrial class 16 kg fat loss in 42 days wai.gif

Blether,

Goooood morning Genius,

i did not have any issues of binging and starving! after working 12-14 hours, 7 days a week for two years i took a two months long holiday, eating normally but the calorie burning work was missing. that's the reason why i gained weight and not some underlying emotional issues.

tongue.png

Issue with fat loss is the complete lack of instant gratification in any shape or form,

so i had to resort to the short-cut, industrial class 16 kg fat loss in 42 days wai.gif

you took a knife and cut it off? w00t.gif

No but a similarly high risk/high profit strategy smile.png

burned it off?

tn_auto3.JPG

Perhaps some nasty weight loss drugs to burn it off?

No but a similarly high risk/high profit strategy smile.png

burned it off?

tn_auto3.JPG

Yes as a matter of fact that is precisely what i did, i literally burned it off, albeit not quite as drastically.

ed i think @tropo knows

Edited by poanoi

He had an affair.

• Like 1

Blether,

Goooood morning Genius,

i did not have any issues of binging and starving! after working 12-14 hours, 7 days a week for two years i took a two months long holiday, eating normally but the calorie burning work was missing. that's the reason why i gained weight and not some underlying emotional issues.

tongue.png

If you say so but when I read your post it says' when i was in my mid-30s to mid-40s it was a piece of cake to lose 3-4kg by not touching food for 5 days.'

That seems to indicate a pattern of starving and binging to me. Maybe what is normal for you is not normal for the rest of us.

He had an affair.

No but i want to, but at my age any natural charm & youth attractiveness is gone,

so i have to get to work on improving my physics the hard way, with the hope of it paying off anytime soon.

I'm not sure I believe that - 16 kg is 35 lb - not far off 1 lb per day.

I don't think Bobby Sands lost weight that quickly blink.png

To lose1 lb of fat I think you need to have a deficit of about 3-3500 calories per day. So, even if you ate nothing - a 100 kg man would need to aerobically exercise for about 2 or 3 or even 4 hrs per day - each and every day.

Even if you could lose weight that fast, it wouldn't be healthy and I imagine you would be a candidate for a heart attack due to loss of heart muscle.

wow , thanks for sharing your life with us , especially me as I got really sick 4/5years ago and was in hospital for 5 months . my weight just piled on ...as I only walk short distances and dont have good use of my shoulders as well i feel great now that I am not the only one ....thanks mate...

• Like 1

Good luck to you. I am surprised you didn't cop for diabetes. Good to give that a miss. I didn't. Finding your motivation is key to everything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's always in the back of my mind......I must be a prime candidate for Type 2 Diabetes but the blood tests say I'm clear at the minute. I'm more concerned about my blood pressure just now though. I've been a consistent 142/90 for about 30 years, which the Doc says is at the higher end of acceptable. When my blood pressure was taken in BKK in January it was 172/120......not good. I went to see my Doc in the UK and he measured back at it's consistent level.

I guess the heat and stress of traveling was a factor in the BKK number, but it's still a major concern.

You deserve a lot of credit for taking control of your weight. I wish you great success. I would like to suggest a few things that might be helpful.

Check out the G.I. diet. G.I. stands for glycemic index. Rick Gallop, Executive Director of the Canadian Heart and Stoke Foundation, has written a number of books that are very good. Even if you don't follow the diet exactly it is an excellent guide to what foods you can eat all you want and which foods to avoid. It is a very effective weight loss program, easy to follow, no counting calories and you will never be hungry. It permanently changed the way we eat. It is not a gimmick diet and so it helps with the yoyo issue. It also is very effective in reducing blood pressure and keeping sugar levels constant.

Secondly, I would like to recommend that you eat a bowl of large flaked oatmeal every day. My husband had blood pressure and cholesterol issues. Within about a month of eating a bowl of oatmeal every morning his blood pressure is back in the normal range. At his last check up his cholesterol levels are less than half of what they were.

Finally you mentioned that you eat yogurt While it is not always easy to find I would suggest that you only eat plain yogurt with no sugar or fruit added. Yogurt with sugar and fruit is really just a desert with as much or more sugar than a large soft drink. Plain yogurt, which is only milk and bacteria culture and nothing else, is excellent for your digestive tract. Given your history it could probably use some help.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your success.

• Like 1

I get so many conflicting information about oatmeal, i eat it and love it Scottish oatmeal from Tesco. Some people say its bad for you because its grains others say it will spike your blood sugar (it certainly did with me if i ate 100 grams of it at 60 grams no problems). I just keep eating it because i love it and it fills me up so nicely.

I get so many conflicting information about oatmeal, i eat it and love it Scottish oatmeal from Tesco. Some people say its bad for you because its grains others say it will spike your blood sugar (it certainly did with me if i ate 100 grams of it at 60 grams no problems). I just keep eating it because i love it and it fills me up so nicely.

According to Rick Gallop oatmeal is excellent for you. It helps to regulate your blood sugar level and it helps to reduce your cholesterol. As you say it fills you up which is a good thing. However it is important that you eat the right kind of oatmeal in the right amount. Only large flaked oatmeal will do the trick as it is not processed like other forms of oatmeal and so still has all the good stuff in it. Serving size should be about 1/2 cup cooked. With grains it is always important to eat only whole grains and to keep the portion sizes small. Personally I gag on cooked oatmeal so I make GI granola with the large flaked oats. Delicious.

According to Rick Gallop oatmeal is excellent for you. It helps to regulate your blood sugar level and it helps to reduce your cholesterol. As you say it fills you up which is a good thing. However it is important that you eat the right kind of oatmeal in the right amount. Only large flaked oatmeal will do the trick as it is not processed like other forms of oatmeal and so still has all the good stuff in it. Serving size should be about 1/2 cup cooked. With grains it is always important to eat only whole grains and to keep the portion sizes small. Personally I gag on cooked oatmeal so I make GI granola with the large flaked oats. Delicious.

All the rolled oats you buy are basically the same. It's whole grains rolled thin. I've tried them all. The quick cooking kind is also the same. The only difference in processing is it's cut smaller to make it cook quicker. They also take out the indigestible pieces you often get in rolled oats.

The least processed ones are the steel cut oats, but they're hard to get. I used to buy them here but they've been out of stock at Villa for over a year.

When it comes to oats, using the word "whole grain" is just a gimmick to put the price up.

Edited by tropo