Twin Bomb Explosions Shatter Boston Marathon Finish Line

SeaVisionBurma

The following is a minimal Miranda warning, as outlined in the Miranda v Arizona case.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense." Link

If they fail to read him these rights and question him anyway, all that will happen is that the testimony he gives can't be used at his trial. It won't stop the trial.

Without getting too technical and off-topic the danger is: under the "fruit of the poisonous tree" rule, if the police find evidence as a result of an interrogation that violates the Miranda rule, that evidence is also inadmissible at trial.

Completely correct. Still going on the belief that they already have enough evidence to convict without his testimony, they have little to lose and much to gain here.

They want the leaders of this operation. They won't be stopped from getting them, just stopped from using this guy's testimony before he's Mirandized.

Right now they are in a hurry for info. This is the way to get it. If they are going to plea bargain, it won't affect it. They can get his testimony again after

They Mirandize him, if he wants to bargain, or they can go to trial without his testimony and any additional evidence if they have him cold already.

Edited by NeverSure

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following is a minimal Miranda warning, as outlined in the Miranda v Arizona case.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense." Link

If they fail to read him these rights and question him anyway, all that will happen is that the testimony he gives can't be used at his trial. It won't stop the trial.

Without getting too technical and off-topic the danger is: under the "fruit of the poisonous tree" rule, if the police find evidence as a result of an interrogation that violates the Miranda rule, that evidence is also inadmissible at trial.

No need for all of this, me thinks. The testimony of the guy who looked him in the eye when he deposited his bag should do the job.

One thing that gets me is. The victim who woke up in hospital, and wrote a note saying he saw one of them drop a bag next to him. If it was me I'd have been shouting and making folks aware. Not every day some one drops a bag at your feet and walks away.

yes that poor guy will ask himself that question every day now until the end of his life.

but not everyone things everyone else has bad intentions. now you cannot leave your bag unattended for a short time anymore.

One thing that gets me is. The victim who woke up in hospital, and wrote a note saying he saw one of them drop a bag next to him. If it was me I'd have been shouting and making folks aware. Not every day some one drops a bag at your feet and walks away.

yes that poor guy will ask himself that question every day now until the end of his life.

but not everyone things everyone else has bad intentions. now you cannot leave your bag unattended for a short time anymore.

The thing is we are not in the mid-west 50 years ago when you can just leave personal belongings lying around. I would have thought it was unusual - to leave a bag then walk away. Certainly can't do that in an airport these days.

The thing is we are not in the mid-west 50 years ago when you can just leave personal belongings lying around. I would have thought it was unusual - to leave a bag then walk away. Certainly can't do that in an airport these days.
Its a sport event with many people having their sport bag with them and not much distrust between the sportsmen.

i would probably get blow up by such bag, thinking that person want just grab a hot dog around the corner and not that he is a terrorist.

The Boston Attorney General was asked this same question. Her answer was that under the Terrorist Act, it was not necessary to read him his rights. As they, he and his brother had committed a Terrorist act by setting off 2 bombs.

The FBI were also warned about these brothers 3 years ago by the Russians. After looking into what ever the information was about them, the FBI gave them a clean bill of health. I wonder what will come out of this. They may take a bit more notice of the Russians now.

Not as long as the NDAA is in effect.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/20835/why-the-ndaa-bill-is-even-scarier-than-you-thought

President's "High Value Interrogation" Group will now take over according to White House correspondent Elite terrorist interrogation group - formed by Pres. Obama .

The American interrogators could take a lesson from the BiB in Thailand. They seem to be able to illicit a confession from a suspect in double-quick time.

That goon in NK will be happy to have the worlds attention again.

North Korea is sooo last week. The media has moved on as their attention span is about as long as their nose.

Interesting, ABC news reporting FBI robot was used to tip the boat, that the suspect was firing, the FBI did not fire back, then used methods to disorient him, etc..

Likely an Ultra-Low Frequency sound generation device ... which will shut a human being DOWN.

They used flash-bang grenades to blind and confuse him before moving in.

Not as long as the NDAA is in effect.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/20835/why-the-ndaa-bill-is-even-scarier-than-you-thought

Yes, this Act changed the game. It's interesting to compare the other right to silence laws (or Cautioning as it's known in UK & Commonwealth) with Miranda. Miranda has always been the champion of right to silence. NDAA is eroding that, and rightly so, I suppose.

Its a sport event with many people having their sport bag with them and not much distrust between the sportsmen.

i would probably get blow up by such bag, thinking that person want just grab a hot dog around the corner and not that he is a terrorist.

As we say in the UK, "Better safe than sorry."

1. It will be a decision of the Attorney General of the US as to whether the death penalty is sought. In other words, Obama will make the decision.

2. Suspect 2 can still be tried under state laws for murder, attempted murder, resisting arrest, armed robbery, carjacking and a multitude of traffic offenses if they so wish. They must await a Federal trial to get their hands on him though. It will be up to the Commonwealth to decide at a later date.

3. These guys had no exit strategy for getting away after the fact. Seems they had no money to execute one either since they tried to rob a 7-11 to get pocket money. A successfully executed exit strategy might have made this entire incident last much longer than 3-4 days.

4. One huge mistake the bad guys made was to kill the policeman. Cops do not like cop killers and will do anything and everything they can to apprehend one. I expect this contributed greatly to the zeal with which the local police acted and responded.

5. The investigation and arrest was handled very well by local authorities and the FBI.

6. It is reported the older brother could have been deported in 2009 on an arrest and conviction (?) for domestic violence. He was a legal resident but any arrest could have had him deported, whether convicted or not. Apparently Homeland Security chose not to take deportation action against him at that time. http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2013/04/boston-bomber-could-have-been-deported-after-2009-conviction/

• Like 2

Rightly or wrongly the father seems to be saying the same thing - perhaps they just can't accept what their sons have done.

The father of the two suspects in the Boston bombing, Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, has told Russian and Western media that he believes his sons have been framed by US intelligence. A report from the Russian agency Interfax says that a correspondent spoke with Anzor Tsarnaev, who resides in the southern Russian republic of Dagestan.

From the Interfax report:

“I learned about the incident from TV. My opinion is: the special services have framed my children, because they are practicing Muslims. Why did they kill Tamerlan? He was supposed to be caught alive. The younger is on the run now. He was a sophomore at a medical school in the U.S. We expected him to come home for vacation. Now I don’t know what’s going to happen. Tell you once again: I believe special services have framed my children.”

Good work sealing off the area and I'm glad that he's still in USA. Heck,if he had fled to the UK and been nabbed at a later date, he would probably ask for and get asylum, on the basis of a possible death penalty.

Good work sealing off the area and I'm glad that he's still in USA. Heck,if he had fled to the UK and been nabbed at a later date, he would probably ask for and get asylum, on the basis of a possible death penalty.

Not to mention being given a house to live in at taxpayers expense and likely a government appointed lawyer to sue itself for his wrongful imprisonment,

• Like 1

This case is a watermark for me. I always thought that if you took intelligent people, brought them to the west, gave them good life, good education and a chance at a great life, Almost no one would turn to this type of deviant behavior.

This is a clear case where i am totally wrong. There are some people that are wired in such a way that even with all the assets available to them, they still chose to hurt other people.

What is it about the Islamist Muslims that make them so different from moderate Muslims and the rest of humanity? I dont think any other religious subset causes so much pain. please correct me if i am wrong.

Is it that they believe and obey their religious clerics without question? Do they? If so, does that make them more susceptible to deviant ideology?

I'm not even sure about moderate Muslims now. It seems that these young men started out as moderate Muslims they suffered no injustices in the US, but still were turned to radicalism without anyone moderate knowing it. If someone noticed something, they are not saying it, there by perpetuating the radicalism of others.

I'll probably get flame for this, showing my ignorance and all, but i'm really at a wall here. Any enlightening thoughts from any one? I'm really troubled by my conclusion that even all moderate Muslims could be radicalized, and the only warning sign is a showing of slight discontentment.(who hasn't felt disenchanted at one time or another?) And if any moderate could be radicalized, its not really deviant behavior, but something that is a part of the religious nature, albeit a minor part.

I hope the investigations in the next several days, weeks months, years, will add some clarity to my thoughts.

• Like 2

I am reading conflicting reports as to whether the the perp has been read his Miranda rights ... Does anyone have a definitive answer?

No, he has not been read Miranda rights.

This has been ruled legal and constitutional based on concerns about immediate public safety, in other words as long as there is info that he can provide about related terror cells, if any.

That doesn't mean he won't be read them LATER.

It is up to the feds, Obama really, whether to consider him an enemy combatant rather than a regular citizen.

If charged as an enemy combatant he would have no Miranda rights and would never be read them.

Indications so far are that he will be charged as a citizen, not a combatant and will later be read his Miranda rights. What he says between now and that reading can't be used against in court in a regular case.

As far as federal death penalty charges, that is up to the feds and up to what evidence they find and what info he shares and how credible it is.

As I mentioned before, it seems his best hope of avoiding death penalty charges is a defense based on being dominated by his brother. So a lot of unknowns at this stage.

Edited by Jingthing

This case is a watermark for me. I always thought that if you took intelligent people, brought them to the west, gave them good life, good education and a chance at a great life, Almost no one would turn to this type of deviant behavior.

This is a clear case where i am totally wrong. There are some people that are wired in such a way that even with all the assets available to them, they still chose to hurt other people.

What is it about the Islamist Muslims that make them so different from moderate Muslims and the rest of humanity? I dont think any other religious subset causes so much pain. please correct me if i am wrong.

Is it that they believe and obey their religious clerics without question? Do they? If so, does that make them more susceptible to deviant ideology?

I'm not even sure about moderate Muslims now. It seems that these young men started out as moderate Muslims they suffered no injustices in the US, but still were turned to radicalism without anyone moderate knowing it. If someone noticed something, they are not saying it, there by perpetuating the radicalism of others.

I'll probably get flame for this, showing my ignorance and all, but i'm really at a wall here. Any enlightening thoughts from any one? I'm really troubled by my conclusion that even all moderate Muslims could be radicalized, and the only warning sign is a showing of slight discontentment.(who hasn't felt disenchanted at one time or another?) And if any moderate could be radicalized, its not really deviant behavior, but something that is a part of the religious nature, albeit a minor part.

I hope the investigations in the next several days, weeks months, years, will add some clarity to my thoughts.

Muslims are good and bad as any other of the Abrahamic religions.

If you are familiar with the film The Truman show you may recall that when Truman realizes that his 'reality' is an illusion he gets in a boat and tries to escape, eventually the boat collides with the edge of the giant filmset which contained Truman's world and the illusion was broken. The truth is terrifying, but the truth sets you free - The MSM and Western governments have helped keep their citizens as millions of Trumans, the illusion has to be broken or civilization is in a long term decline.

http://frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/islam-sleeper-cell/

We don’t know whether Dzhokar Tsarneav and Tamerlan Tsarneav were aligned with any Muslim terrorist organization, but there is no reason that they had to be.

Rightly or wrongly the father seems to be saying the same thing - perhaps they just can't accept what their sons have done.

The father of the two suspects in the Boston bombing, Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, has told Russian and Western media that he believes his sons have been framed by US intelligence. A report from the Russian agency Interfax says that a correspondent spoke with Anzor Tsarnaev, who resides in the southern Russian republic of Dagestan.

From the Interfax report:

“I learned about the incident from TV. My opinion is: the special services have framed my children, because they are practicing Muslims. Why did they kill Tamerlan? He was supposed to be caught alive. The younger is on the run now. He was a sophomore at a medical school in the U.S. We expected him to come home for vacation. Now I don’t know what’s going to happen. Tell you once again: I believe special services have framed my children.”

It's clear the father is crazy.gif . I'd suspect he's a constant ranter.

CNN interviewed someone who's known the family for a long time, said the mother had been a gaudy dresser until some time after 9/11, when she started wearing the traditional Muslim clothes of a female, just no veil. The mother regularly spoke of 9/11 as a plot of the U.S. government. annoyed.gif .

Americans distrust their government; a tiny percentage are armed to the teeth paranoids. Russians detest their government, but their response is to drink a lot of vodka.

Chechans are furious against the Russian government. There's not much happiness in that region of the world so I can see how the parents so easily go crazy about things. The deceased older brother began to live in the U.S. from age 20, so he brought a lot of that unhappiness - and hate - with him. The younger brother, who everyone says was always a nice guy, came to the U.S. turning nine years old - he certainly didn't have much to work with at home. The kid will be held accountable for his crimes - his life has turned out to be a disaster to himself and to the rest of us.

The two brothers' aunt had this to say:

I know them as angels,” Maret Tsarnaev told the National Post in Toronto. “I’m suspicious that this was staged.”

In a press conference later aired by CNN, she reiterated her suspicions and said she has doubts about the photos released by the FBI that show her nephews at the scene of the Boston Marathon bombings on Monday. She also said she has doubts about the story behind the 9-11 attacks. The suspects' father told CNN Friday that he believed they were "framed."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/suspect-aunt-says-she-suspicious-investigation-190616201.html

At least most of the family is consistent, except for the uncle in America.... The two sisters have been barraged and have made statements of regret and sorrow, but also stated the brothers were loving. Listening to their mother fluently denying their involvement in the RT video, she sure didn't sound like a mother in grieving for a son(s).

• Like 1