Price For Power ?

honoluabay

Well I just got my power bill from new landlord and Holy Sh-t ! 2600.00 bht for 1 month. Use the s/c only when sleeping and no kitchen just room w/ bath. Nothing fancy.

Just want to know how badly I'm getting screwed.

Will be moving asap.

Thanks

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the "price for power" in Thailand was 200 baht to everyone in Issan to vote for you on election day. smile.pngsmile.png

Seriously, that's a high bill. Doesn't sound right to me for the premises you describe.

Did you write down the meter reading and how much is the landlord charging you per unit?

Edited by NamKangMan

We have 3 apartments we rent out, and charge 6 baht pr. kWh. Each apartment have 2 aircons, but untill now I don't think I have had to ask for more than about 1500 baht a month for electricity, to someone that run the aircon very often.

aren't aircons usually 1000W or more? hottest month of the year it can easily use 1 unit per hour (1000 watts for 1 hour or 1kWh)

one aircon 10 hours per day for 30 days at 4baht/unit(government rate) is 1200 baht already

I got my bill today. I used 523 KWH. I have two refrigerators, only one air conditioner in my bedroom, water pump, TVs, computers, hot water, ceiling fans, microwave, rice cookers, toaster, etc. My total was less than yours including VAT. If I just divide my total bill by my usage including VAT, I pay about 4.4 Baht per unit. I'd say you're paying a bit too much, but I don't know what your rental agreement is. I doubt you can do much, other than look for a better place. Good time of the year to move...

Edited by Jimi007

Was really looking for government rate price per unit, we are getting charged 8 bht per unit but landlord say rate is 8 bht for everyone here in phuket. Just want price rate here in Rawai.

Yes we are moving out, but still want to prove to them that They are Wrong......

Money Money what make Phuket worse every year.

Was really looking for government rate price per unit, we are getting charged 8 bht per unit but landlord say rate is 8 bht for everyone here in phuket. Just want price rate here in Rawai.

Yes we are moving out, but still want to prove to them that They are Wrong......

Money Money what make Phuket worse every year.

Typical greedy Phuket landlord.He's talking BS.Average rate is around 4

My government bill just arrived: including VAT 3.91 Baht per kW

Does that include the extra indexed charge ? My extra charge has increased dramatically these past 2 months. Plus we pay business rates to PEA. I wish we only payed 3.91 baht.

That's total charge divided by kW. Don't use much at the shop though, a/c only in use in classroom, no electric heater, only thing 'fancy' is a waterpump. Excluding extra charge including VAT price is 3.35 Baht per kW.

Last time I checked, I was paying around THB 3.6 / unit (i.e. kWh). This is directly from the PEA. I have heard renters being charged 5 or 6 baht, but never 8. Rip off.

I'm paying 8 baht per unit as well.

My rent has never changed and is quite reasonable, but the electricity is double the Government rate. I would be interested to know if the property manager is pocketing the difference, or the owner.

There are several apartments in my building and I don't believe any of them are "owned" by foreigners, so, doubling the electricity is a nice little earner off all the tenants, and the place is always near full. Probably no tax implications either. Cash, straight into the pocket.

@NKM

I would agree that 8 baht is high but maybe there are other costs that you are not aware off, and a commercial property will be paying nearer 5 baht/Kw. I happen to be a property manager and we are just happy to balance the costs against charges. We charged 5 baht until the end of last year but with this year's 0.52 baht surcharge we had to increase to 5.5 baht as we were not covering the actual PEA charge each month. It annoys me when folks quote these 3.9 baht prices. Yes that might be true with a lower use private home with own gov meter, but it is not the case with a higher use residential property with single gov meter.

And it is only going to get higher. Recent news articles in the Thai press are saying that electric prices are expected to rise dramatically later this year.

@NKM

I would agree that 8 baht is high but maybe there are other costs that you are not aware off, and a commercial property will be paying nearer 5 baht/Kw. I happen to be a property manager and we are just happy to balance the costs against charges. We charged 5 baht until the end of last year but with this year's 0.52 baht surcharge we had to increase to 5.5 baht as we were not covering the actual PEA charge each month. It annoys me when folks quote these 3.9 baht prices. Yes that might be true with a lower use private home with own gov meter, but it is not the case with a higher use residential property with single gov meter.

And it is only going to get higher. Recent news articles in the Thai press are saying that electric prices are expected to rise dramatically later this year.

I don't have a problem with it, it's still very afforable. Of course, some of the extra baht per unit I'm paying would cover pumps, common area lighting and probably the management office electric as well.

Of course, as you suggest, when I read 4 baht a unit is the actual price, I think paying double is taking the p*ss.

I understand what you say, but wouldn't a large property pay less per unit than a residential home, due to a bulk discount and/or commercial premises tarrif?

@NKM

I understand what you say, but wouldn't a large property pay less per unit than a residential home, due to a bulk discount and/or commercial premises tarrif?

No, same as with water here: the more you use, the more you pay per unit.

• Like 1

Steven is exactly correct - the more electric and water being used, the higher the unit charge. That the reason why condos and larger residential property must charge a higher rate.

And as NKM says there may be various overheads that might be built into that higher price.

I just realised what a huge jump in the electricty rates occurred around August last year.

- thanks to Yorkie who posted the official Provincial Electricity Authority rates here.

The rates used to be, baht per unit,

First 150 kW.. 1.8047

Next 250 kW.. 2.7781

Above that...... 2.9780

It was like that for many years with just the FT being "adjusted" to get more money from consumers.

Then the rates became:

First 150 kW.. 2.7628 (up 53%)

Next 250 kW.. 3.7362 (up 34%)

Above that...... 3.9361 (up 32%)

So, a bill for 677 units at the old rates was: 2,370.88 baht

With the new rates: 2,867.70 baht - up 21%.

The new bill takes into account the slightly reduced standing charge and lower FT.

I have house in the burbs of phuket and I pay circa 4thb per kilowatt and pay the bill myself at 7/11.

I have an apartment in phuket town for the gik and pay 8thb per kilowatt to the landlord who takes a 50% skim.

All the other tenants in the apartment block are hi so thais...and the landlord also stings them for 8thb per unit.

Steven is exactly correct - the more electric and water being used, the higher the unit charge. That the reason why condos and larger residential property must charge a higher rate.

And as NKM says there may be various overheads that might be built into that higher price.

@NKM

Just to clarify.

A private residential home with only two people in it, say husband and wife, and they do not use much electricity, they will pay around 4 baht a unit.

Now, the same husband and wife, in the same private residential home, leave the air conditioning on 24/7, buy an extra fridge - beer fridge :) leave computers, TV and lights running 24/7 - of course they use a lot more electricity, but now they are paying around 5 or 5.5 baht a unit.

Is this correct? Do you actually pay more for the same product, per unit, just because you use more?

>>>

@NKM

Just to clarify.

A private residential home with only two people in it, say husband and wife, and they do not use much electricity, they will pay around 4 baht a unit.

Now, the same husband and wife, in the same private residential home, leave the air conditioning on 24/7, buy an extra fridge - beer fridge smile.png leave computers, TV and lights running 24/7 - of course they use a lot more electricity, but now they are paying around 5 or 5.5 baht a unit.

Is this correct? Do you actually pay more for the same product, per unit, just because you use more?

Yes, that is the same in many more countries these days, e.g. also France, UK, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Italy, California and China have so called progressive electricity prices.

Official reason is to reduce use of electricity, real reason is to make more money.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

<snip>

The new bill takes into account the slightly reduced standing charge and lower FT.

Not sure why you talk about 'lower' FT - it's quite high at 0.52 baht, towards the end of last year its was 0.30 baht. Prior to that it was 0 and I even had a month at a minus rate i.e. a small rebate.

Just to clarify.

Now, the same husband and wife, in the same private residential home, leave the air conditioning on 24/7, buy an extra fridge - beer fridge smile.png leave computers, TV and lights running 24/7 - of course they use a lot more electricity, but now they are paying around 5 or 5.5 baht a unit.Is this correct?

Do you actually pay more for the same product, per unit, just because you use more?

Yes, correct. But more like 4.8 baht/unit.

And it's even more complicated than that. Rate varies depending on single phase or 3 phase meter, and whether private of public transformer. We have 3 properties and they all have a different rate charged. Crazy.

Well, there are quite a few apartments in my building. All of the tenants in my building, combined, would be using a lot of electric, and then there are the water pumps and common area lighting to run. It's possible 8 baht is a reasonable charge.

That said, why are peop[le in small complexes paying 8 baht per unit. Their small complexes of apartments/condo's shouldn't be using as much electric as the bigger ones, like mine, therefore, they should be on a lower unit price.

Just to clarify.

Now, the same husband and wife, in the same private residential home, leave the air conditioning on 24/7, buy an extra fridge - beer fridge smile.png leave computers, TV and lights running 24/7 - of course they use a lot more electricity, but now they are paying around 5 or 5.5 baht a unit.Is this correct?

Do you actually pay more for the same product, per unit, just because you use more?

Yes, correct. But more like 4.8 baht/unit.

And it's even more complicated than that. Rate varies depending on single phase or 3 phase meter, and whether private of public transformer. We have 3 properties and they all have a different rate charged. Crazy.

Crazy alright, that's ridiculous. You would never really know where the truth stand here.

Hi,

I have just looked at my bill.. I used up 216 units which starts at 0.0000 and billed at 699.23

The next line ft is .5204 which is 112.41

How do you workout the price for unit where it says 0.0000 and for this I presume to work out about 3.03

Is you 216 x . 5204 it comes to 112.41

So the ft number is also a fuel charge or something ?

Thank you..

Edited by luckyluck