Price For Power ?

honoluabay

The standing charge is the rental rate for the actual meter.

@JetsetBKK - that's good work finding the actual unit step charges. Years ago I tried to find that sort of information but gave up looking. As most user do, I work out my unit rate by dividing the units used by the baht charge. So I guess that's why I am getting varied unit charges on our 3 properties as they each have quite varied unit usage..

For years I used these baht/unit numbers:

First 150 kW... 1.8047

Next 250 kW.... 2.7781

Above that....... 2.9780

There used to be a website "pea.co.th" but it's disappeared - that's where I got these original figures from. So we're all indebted to Yorkie for posting the current rates.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beware of Scams

About 10-12 month ago I saw a workman carrying out approx. 12 electric meters from my building (approx. 300+ units). I followed him and asked him (in Thai) what he was doing. He told me he was asked to remove some meters and combine some apartment unit meters (simple method - just switch wires).

Therefore

1) 2 Apartment Renters may receive both the same bill - just double what it should be (always paid to Rental Agency) and/or

2) Short term Renters may not receive a bill (just pay higher rent) but bill is covered by long term renter

Ingenuous method by some Champion Entrepreneur to increase revenue ?

Edited by Canaris

I live in Udorn and just got my bill... 556 Units 2,450 THB works out to 4.4 THB per unit.... There is just the two of us but we run air to sleep, some times during day, computer etc...

556 units:

150 * 2.7628 = 414.42 baht

250 * 3.7362 = 934.05 baht

156 * 3.9361 = 614.03 baht

subtotal: 1962.50 baht

+ Standing charge 38.22 baht

Subtotal: 2000.72 baht

+FT 0.5204 * 556 = 289.34 baht

Subtotal: 2290.06 baht

+ 7% VAT 160.30 baht

Total: 2450.37 baht

Just wondering where you found these rates? My usage was a bit less than your example, but my bill wasn't much less. What's a standing charge?

I found the charges posted by Yorkie, and posted about it here.

I don't know what's covered by the standing charge. In the UK, most utilities have a standing charge that can be much larger in proportion to the total monthly bill than the charge here. The 38.22 baht charged here seems almost not worth the effort.

Thank you! Now I have a better understanding of the tier pricing here.

Mine is also out here in the sticks about 3.9 BUT when the A/C is used a lot gets much higher. Have had bills as low as 1500 and as high as 9800B All based upon usage High bill was running 3 A/C units (2 are 3 phase) 24-7 for a month. House is about 3500 Sq foot of which about 2800 was A/C. Low is only a Refrigerator/freezer, chest freezer, and submersible 20GPM water pump down 45 meters,computers, ups, etc.

Everyone is posting different prices per unit.

Is it based on your geographical location at all?

The government requires a national uniform tariff. This means the power tariffs for both MEA and PEA are identical. There is no locational difference at all. If you download the tariff schedule from each utility, you will find them the same. Basically MEA consumers pay more for their power than they should and the difference is transferred to PEA as a lump sum transfer to compensate them for their higher costs of service due to rural electrification commitments.

Many apartment owners impose a surcharge on the MEA and PEA rates that are regulated by the Energy Regulatory Commission. People who rent accommodation and do not have the meter in their name might be subject to such practice.

@JetsetBKK - that's good work finding the actual unit step charges. Years ago I tried to find that sort of information but gave up looking. As most user do, I work out my unit rate by dividing the units used by the baht charge. So I guess that's why I am getting varied unit charges on our 3 properties as they each have quite varied unit usage..

The power rates for all three utilities, EGAT, MEA and PEA can be seen at www.erc.or.th

Not sure why you talk about 'lower' FT - it's quite high at 0.52 baht, towards the end of last year its was 0.30 baht. Prior to that it was 0 and I even had a month at a minus rate i.e. a small rebate.

While the Ft has been increasing since the end of 2011, the increase in the approved Ft has not been as much as the actual Ft. The Ft for January to April 2013 is 52.04 satang per unit. EGAT has been shouldering the burden of the difference between the approved Ft and the actual Ft since the end of 2011 and this amount is now about 6 billion baht. The Energy Regulatory Commission predicts that the Ft will remain stable and that decreasing costs of production will clear that balance over 2013 and 2014. In other words, while the costs of production will reduce, the ERC will not reduce the Ft to enable EGAT to recoup the losses incurred from earlier, higher Ft.

The Ft is set each 4 months.

The formula for the calculation of the Ft as well as the historic data for the Ft is at www.erc.or.th

OUTRAGOUS! I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with two other adults and two children. There is one A/C unit in the master bedroom which is used when the evening, inside tempature stays above 29 degrees. I never run it all night, but my highest bill ever was just over 1000 baht. This includes the electricity used by the pump that supplies well water.

Tight!!!!

Solar would be good in Phuket, however until you can feed into the grid, there's not much point. All you would really be doing is heating water. When one considers that the only hot water used is in the shower, it's minimal. Some showers have their own solar anyway - the pipes get very hot during the middle of the day, so you'll have hot water whether you turn the heater on or not. shock1.gif

Wind power is pretty irresponsible when it comes to wildlife. Birds, particularly raptors, are often killed by them. Microbats simply can't work them out & tend to fly into the blades. Lots of chewy stuff on the ground.

Most apartment blocks have a main government meter and the a "slave " meter for each unit, usually outside the front door. It is not uncommon for the landlord to charge the tenant a higher rate, usually around 7baht per unit, but I have heard of higher. They easiest way to tell is if you get the government bill to be paid in 7/11 or if the electricity bill gets applied to your monthly rent bill.

Woodrow Morris Alexander

<snip>

The formula for the calculation of the Ft as well as the historic data for the Ft is at www.erc.or.th

I couldn't find it. Have you got an exact link?

I can't get anywhere sensible with that link but I did find an idiot's guide to pricing (in English)

http://www.eria.org/events/Power%20Tariff%20Structure%20in%20Thailand.pdf

You need to work your way down to retail tariff and explain FT Mechanism

• Like 1

<snip>

I couldn't find it. Have you got an exact link?

I can't get anywhere sensible with that link but I did find an idiot's guide to pricing (in English)

http://www.eria.org/events/Power%20Tariff%20Structure%20in%20Thailand.pdf

You need to work your way down to retail tariff and explain FT Mechanism

You go to the Energy Information Centre on the ERC website and choose the menu on the Ft and a document on the calculation of the automatic fuel adjustment mechanism is displayed. Dr. Pallapa's presentation provides an accurate summary of the mechanism, tariff structure and historic ft statistics but was from a conference last year so is not completely up to date.

• 4 weeks later...

I have in my Condo 2 a/c Sharp and this runs 24 Hour/ 7 days a week in 25 C in automatic.

I cook by electric to but not all day and sure water heater in shower. My Computer runs 24/7 to. My monthly bill is 1700 baht +- 100 baht.

I think 2600 is many to much at a standard using.

Is the condo in thai name?

I have in my Condo 2 a/c Sharp and this runs 24 Hour/ 7 days a week in 25 C in automatic.

I cook by electric to but not all day and sure water heater in shower. My Computer runs 24/7 to. My monthly bill is 1700 baht +- 100 baht.

I think 2600 is many to much at a standard using.

Is the condo in thai name?

Makes no difference at all.

I thought thai name would have enjoyed the lowest rate then foreign name and company's name?

No.

It is kind of confusing, different infomation here and there, so now I got it clear.

Do you know totally how many types of rate? Is company rate same as commercial 3 phase rate?

I thought thai name would have enjoyed the lowest rate then foreign name and company's name?

No.

It is kind of confusing, different infomation here and there, so now I got it clear.

Do you know totally how many types of rate? Is company rate same as commercial 3 phase rate?

There are a few different rates, but the rate for a foreigner is the same as for a Thai.

• 1 month later...

I'm staying in a studio 31sqm in karon hill. Bills come in same as yours 2600thb sometimes 3500 monthly.

Charged at 6thb per kw......

using 1 centralized aircon, 1 centralized heater

1 50inch tv

1 mini fridge

1 router

I'm facing the same problem as yoursfacepalm.gif , this amount is more than what is charged when i rent a 2bed room unit in puket town powering

3 aircon unit

1 large fridge

1 heater

1 router

is about 2200thb monthly

What is wrong here??............anyone care to share on tips in lowering electrical bills.I suspect e meter is rigged or e line is being tap.....any solutions??sad.pngfacepalm.gif

I'm staying in a studio 31sqm in karon hill. Bills come in same as yours 2600thb sometimes 3500 monthly.

1 50inch tv

1 mini fridge

1 router

I'm facing the same problem as yoursfacepalm.gif , this amount is more than what is charged when i rent a 2bed room unit in puket town powering

3 aircon unit

1 large fridge

1 heater

1 router

is about 2200thb monthly

What is wrong here??............anyone care to share on tips in lowering electrical bills.I suspect e meter is rigged or e line is being tap.....any solutions??sad.pngfacepalm.gif

Care to say how hard you are using the 3 aircons. 2,200 baht/month does not seem so bad to me. Tips on lowering electric bill - don't use the aircons.

1 50inch tv

1 mini fridge

1 router

3 aircon unit

1 large fridge

1 heater

1 router

is about 2200thb monthly

Care to say how hard you are using the 3 aircons. 2,200 baht/month does not seem so bad to me. Tips on lowering electric bill - don't use the aircons.

two aircon in bedroom on continuously about 18hrs/day, living room aircon on about 3-6 hours daily for watching soccer.- phuket town 80sqm

1 centralised aircon in bedroom on continuously about 18hrs/day - karon hill 31sqm - 2600thb to 3500thb

two aircon in bedroom on continuously about 18hrs/day, living room aircon on about 3-6 hours daily for watching soccer.- phuket town 80sqm

1 centralised aircon in bedroom on continuously about 18hrs/day - karon hill 31sqm - 2600thb to 3500thb

All I can say is that your meter is not 'being rigged or tapped'. Very reasonable bill for all the aircon time.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My government bill just arrived: including VAT 3.91 Baht per kW

Does that include the extra indexed charge ? My extra charge has increased dramatically these past 2 months. Plus we pay business rates to PEA. I wish we only payed 3.91 baht.

That's total charge divided by kW. Don't use much at the shop though, a/c only in use in classroom, no electric heater, only thing 'fancy' is a waterpump. Excluding extra charge including VAT price is 3.35 Baht per kW.

Same calculations as my friend in Rawai, 3.91 bahts per kw/h.

I am in Chalong, paying the landlord 6 bahts per kw/h, typically over 3,000 bahts a month. She provides a bill with meter reading previous and current month. She owns the meters....

Air con at night only, 2 refrigerators, computers, fans....quite normal.

The landlord claims the surcharge per kw/h is to pay for the water pump...Must be one hell of a water pump...hehehe.

New tenant coming in, rate increase to 7 bahts, and 1,000 bahts more for rent...

My girlfriend's brother is an electrician.

He claims that there are cheap meters, that spin faster than they should for each kw/h.

He said to ask the landlord if changing the meter was ok, and see the results each month. Not done yet...

Many people claim many things, only a small percentage is actually true.

My girlfriend's brother is an electrician.

He claims that there are cheap meters, that spin faster than they should for each kw/h.

He said to ask the landlord if changing the meter was ok, and see the results each month. Not done yet...

Usual Thai suspicion of Chines?e made meters. Truth is that these cheaper meters might be out of calibration, could read less or read more by a very small percentage.