Gun Vote " Shameful Day," Obama Says

webfact

Gun vote "shameful day," Obama says

WASHINGTON: -- US President Barack Obama said Wednesday "was a pretty shameful day for Washington" as an effort to expand background checks on gun purchases was rejected by the Senate.

Obama voiced anger over the move as he stood alongside parents of children killed in the school massacre in Connecticut last year and former congresswoman Gabby Giffords, who was wounded in a gun attack.

He vowed to fight onward and told voters to let their lawmakers know their displeasure on election day.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-18

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do I know? w00t.gif

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/91-percent-americans-support-gun-background-checks-poll-144348180--politics.html

This vote was an outrage. There is no point in Obama even trying to play nice.

Despite concerns about how information on gun owners might be used, 91
percent of registered voters support universal background checks, according to a new poll released on Thursday.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The assault weapons ban was defeated by a vote of 60-40, with Democrats voting for the defeat.

FIVE democrats. A TINY portion of democrats.

Ten percent (10%) is hardly a TINY portion.

Now, four percent (4%) IS a TINY portion.

• Like 1

The assault weapons ban was defeated by a vote of 60-40, with Democrats voting for the defeat.

OK, a small minority then. Only four of the right wing party were brave enough to defy the NRA.

How do I know? w00t.gif

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/91-percent-americans-support-gun-background-checks-poll-144348180--politics.html

This vote was an outrage. There is no point in Obama even trying to play nice.

Despite concerns about how information on gun owners might be used, 91

percent of registered voters support universal background checks, according to a new poll released on Thursday.

From their website:

The Quinnipiac University Poll, directed by Douglas Schwartz, Ph.D., conducts public

opinion surveys in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, Ohio, Virginia

and the nation as a public service and for research.

Four of those States appear to have an anti-gun ownership tendency, if their politicians are representative, so the results are definetly skewed.

If the same questions had been asked in Arizona, Alabama, Texas, Montana, Alaska etc I am sure the reluts would have been different.

All opinion polls tend to be unreliable, as one get the answer that one wants to hear by phrasing the questions accordingly, and asking at certain times of the day, and venues.

Probably the Senate vote was fairly representative of the actuals voters beliefs, which really irks some people who only want democracy if it fits their own ideas.

Probably the Senate vote was fairly representative of the actuals voters beliefs, which really irks some people who only want democracy if it fits their own ideas.

No it wasn't. Nobody credible believes that. Talking here only about the BACKGROUND CHECKS. That was massively popular and remains so among the voters.

The background check was not able to garner enough votes to defeat the filibuster rules.

Perhaps the Senate simply decided to get to work on what the American people seem to think is important.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gallup: Only 4% of Americans Think Gun Control is an Important Problem
April 16, 2013
By Michael James
(CNSNews.com) – Only 4 percent of Americans think guns and gun control are an important problem facing the country, according to Gallup, and far more Americans are concerned about the economy, unemployment and the federal debt.
Respondents answered in the following order:
Economy in general 24%
Unemployment/Jobs 18%
Dissatisfaction with Government 16%
Federal budget deficit/Federal debt 11%
Healthcare 6%
Ethical/Moral/Family decline 5%
Immigration/Illegal aliens 4%
Education 4%
Guns/Gun control 4%
Situation with North Korea 4%
Lack of Money 3%
Welfare 2%
Lack of respect for each other 2%
Poverty/Hunger/Homelessness 2%
Foreign aid/Focus overseas 2%
Taxes 2%

That headline is very misleading, if you read the article it reveals that only 4% think that gun control is the most important problem. There is a big difference between saying that something is not an important issue and saying that something is not the most important issue.

Sophon

• Like 1

That headline is very misleading, if you read the article it reveals that only 4% think that gun control is the most important problem. There is a big difference between saying that something is not an important issue and saying that something is not the most important issue.

Sophon

I didn't write the article, I only quoted it. It is not allowed to alter an article you are quoting.

The fact remains there are at least six items more important than gun control on the minds of the people.

Not the Democrats or the main stream media, however.

Edited by Scott

It is far more important to deny women their right to decide what happens with their own bodies or to keep gay- people from getting married! There are soooo many more things that more important...like getting "Family Guy" of the air, because some nut- job is making a collage of it. (so much for "taking rights away!).

The rest of the world will just sit back and wait, until the next nut-case with a rucksack full of guns walks into a school or a shopping mall and kills 20 to 30 bystanders.

I am (fortunately) not cynical enough to hope for the crocodile- tears of all those, whos fantasy- fear of a future Hitler or a future radical government kept Obama (or any other President) from dealing with the very real fear of a today- sicko, blowing up the brains of 5th- graders!

Good night America!

• Like 2

Forget about guns - the real menace is the pressure cooker.

Somewhere, somebody is dreaming of implanting a barcode on every American's forehead. Think of the possibilities. Anyone who ever buys, sells, or trades a pressure cooker, carpenter nails, or a cellphone will have that transaction recorded and the government can then track down the terrorists within minutes. Everybody will be so much safer and happier. I know, because somewhere there is a public opinion poll that will back me up on this.

• Like 2

OK, a small minority then. Only four of the right wing party were brave enough to defy the NRA.

I think we all know that neither the Dems nor Repubs will defy the NRA nor the will of the electorate. My favorite quote on this is from Bill Maher, paraphrasing: "Republicans love guns; Democrats like guns."

Gun control seems like almost an impossible issue, no matter how many schools shootings we witness.

Europeans and Americans have very different views on guns in society.

Americans believe firearms are necessary to protect oneself against any agressor. Americans don't care to become a victim.

How would you protect yourself if the next Charles Manson and gang come to your home? If you don't have superior firepower you will be overtaken, or worse.

What group was unharmed during the L.A. riots ? It was those Koreans in Koreatown. They patrolled the tops of the buildings with AK-47s and no riot spread to their neighborhood because everyone knew they were armed to the hilt.

Americans cannot agree with sitting and waiting to be shot by someone who takes over a building or tries to enter your home. Americans will take up arms and fight.

If more responsible adults had a concealed weapon permit we would stop more assauts before they occur.

A criminal does not need a gun to kill. If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. And there will always be outlaws.

Lets's see: I wasn't there, when the Manson- gang went on a killing spree...but I think it is a save guess, it didn't happen like this:

"Good evening, ma'am...my name is Charles Manson and this is my gang. Would you mind us, coming inside have some alcohol and drugs and sex and little satan- worshipping...and after that...may we kill you?" And Sharon Tate went to look for here gun, but unfortunately she forgot to buy one earlier...and the rest is history!

And this is where the whole "waht would you do, if you wake up at night and there is a killer in your house"- thing blows up!

"Dear Mr. Killer /Rapist/ black drug-gang ...can you please wait until I get my gun, load it and take aim at you?"