Initial Reason For Settling In Isaan

ice1318

Is there any amongst us who settled in Isaan, or knows of another who settled in Isaan

for reasons other than their Thai wife / GF. I appreciate once here you may have come

to love the place, people, customs etc...... there must be the odd exceptional character??

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of at least 3 people who settled here that were not married and had no girlfriend. One since met a lady and is now married. One picked a city in Isaan, because all the research he did said it was not for farang, one settled here because it was not Pattaya and was cheap.

The wife wasn't the actual reason, I was renting a place and wanted a permanent base to store my stuff, the wife had plenty of land so I decided to build a house. Never intended to live there before retirement but now we spend the majority of our time there as it is so nice.

I must be the only one.

I decided to live in the sticks all by myself with no Thai-Wife or GF nor having aqired a "mia-noi" in the meantime. Duration 1 1/2 years now.

Result: According to Thai-Logic therefore: I do not contribute to the financial well-beeing to any "Thai-Family", I just sit here and mind my own business. For the time beeing, I am tolerated at best, but voices are getting louder that the presence of a farang should be linked to "how much have we to gain by having the farang among us". Monetary-wise, that is.

In a nutshell: A farang that does not appear as an financial resource to the village (with or without Thai-Wife/GF) will soon be regarded as an "asset with no value".

So I will abandon my live in the sticks soon for obvious reasons. I will mark it off as an "experiment" and as a live experience, no more, no less.

In conclusion: "Thai Rak Thai" and the major reason why Thais get involved with Farangs has three reasons:

a) money

B) money

c) money

Live and learn. Cheers.

That's your opinion. Good luck.

I came to Isaan as a volunteer (skilled position with US Government certification) for a large NGO under Patronage of HM the King for 3 long-term stints over a 2-year period. After the third stint, decided that I would rather commute in the opposite direction.

'Will not say that the local fauna had nothing to do with it.

• Like 2

I came to see if I'd enjoy teaching English or not, and wasn't too fussy on where in Thailand, except that I didn't want to live in Bkk. Ideally I was hoping for a school countryside school for a bit of a different experience. So when a job came up in Isaan I took it, although the job turned out to be in a city and definitely not poor lol (Which was probably lucky as I might have found it too difficult to adjust if I had initially started in the countryside).

Moved to a school in the countryside (actually in am amphur town not a village though) 9 months later after my initial contract finished. Met my gf there, after I'd been living in Thailand for around 1 year in total.

I know quite a few guys who are in a similar situation, where they came to teach rather than because of a wife or gf.

• Like 1

I came to Sakon Nakhon by invitation of a friend who is Thai and a high ranking official in the police.

I got a bit lonely after 4 months and searched on a dating website where I met a lovely young lady and I decided to move into her village 2 years ago and still enjoy it very much.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 1

Just the other way around, I live since ten years in the sticks of Isaan and don't rue one second, but I live with my wife. I'm not sure whether I could stay here without her. Many times I had this discussion with my wife... what if she dies first? I'm quite sure that the clan and the kids don't mind me to stay alone, but if a new partner will be involved, be sure that you are out. Staying as a single in a small village in the sticks of Isaan is not easy. Personally I know only one man who does it and he has his reasons. Tough though

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

• Like 2

I know a number of teachers, young when they first came, who are here perminantly now. I know a NGO person living here, sure maybe most though moved to be with a companion, but not as big a majority as many would think.

I must be the only one.

I decided to live in the sticks all by myself with no Thai-Wife or GF nor having aqired a "mia-noi" in the meantime. Duration 1 1/2 years now.

Result: According to Thai-Logic therefore: I do not contribute to the financial well-beeing to any "Thai-Family", I just sit here and mind my own business. For the time beeing, I am tolerated at best, but voices are getting louder that the presence of a farang should be linked to "how much have we to gain by having the farang among us". Monetary-wise, that is.

In a nutshell: A farang that does not appear as an financial resource to the village (with or without Thai-Wife/GF) will soon be regarded as an "asset with no value".

So I will abandon my live in the sticks soon for obvious reasons. I will mark it off as an "experiment" and as a live experience, no more, no less.

In conclusion: "Thai Rak Thai" and the major reason why Thais get involved with Farangs has three reasons:

a) money

B) money

c) money

Live and learn. Cheers.

Sounds like they haven't got round to robbing you yet. Typically they will borrow something from you, and you will never see it again. Logic here is that you are rich and can afford to buy another. Then you get paranoid about locking stuff away in case things 'walk. Thankfully I have moved back to the city now.

• Like 1

You cant be real. For sure you must be a troll writing stupid stuff like that. Are there still babies moving out on the countryside... Yes you should stay in the ghettos down south, and do what you do best, and that probably is to drink beer and take absolutely no notice of your surroundings, learning absolutely nothing about life up here. A pure excuse of an tourist trying to live in Isaan,

Glegolo

I think you are being a little to harsh on MaiChai. Having lived in a few Isaan villages, I have similar experiences but I must add that I have also met many village folk who will share food/drink/entertainment with you.

I always felt 'part of the village' even though at times, maybe I was the resident 'Village Idiot.' I got involved helping the local school/sports teams and that was nothing to do with donations because I had no money to give, only time and interest.

I must be the only one.

Result: According to Thai-Logic therefore: I do not contribute to the financial well-beeing to any "Thai-Family", I just sit here and mind my own business. For the time being, I am tolerated at best, but voices are getting louder....

And these voices are where exactly?

• Like 1

I must be the only one.

Result: According to Thai-Logic therefore: I do not contribute to the financial well-beeing to any "Thai-Family", I just sit here and mind my own business. For the time being, I am tolerated at best, but voices are getting louder....

And these voices are where exactly?

Well, those voices are not in my head, they come from 2 Thai-Ladies with good english skills and good ears for the local gossip. They just tell me over a cup of coffee about the local gossip of witch I am part of, of course.

Cheers.

I must be the only one.

a) money

cool.png money

c) money

Live and learn. Cheers.

Your theories are actually not that good. You just dont get it, and you do not understand the world you are living in.

Yes, i think it is great for you to go back to the ghetto down south.... issan is just not for everyone...It is strong people

who move and can live here..

Glegolo

Dear Glegolo. your reply (and former posts) indicate clearly, that you had the privilege to experience Thailand/Isaan from the "sunny-side". Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I agree, " It's strong people who move and can live here" you say. Correct!

But there is also an other kind of farang that is willing to move to the Isaan and they are not "the strong ones"!

- Many have worked all their lives in a rather depressing environement in damp europe, but with the conviction, that their retirement benefits will enable them to spend their autum of live in a less harsh environement than Europe.

Some of them visit Thailand as tourists and soon find Thai-People very friendly, landscape appealing and all in all, Thailand is a nice place to retire (as compared to damp Europe).

AND: It will not take too long, before a Thai-Female finds this particular farang attractive. At first the farang may be a bit puzzled (since in his home country it was many years ago, that a female has found him "attractive".) The fact, that she is 25 years younger than him is of little concern, after all, love is love, isen't it?

Next: Farang visits family and can't believe how cheap everything is, including building a house on (free) family-owned land.

The final outcome of such happenings can vary. (being lucky or not lucky is a major part of it all).

In closing: I have seen many a farang heading out into "a new happy live" in his old age, only to find out that he had to find his way back to Europe at some time. Bare of illusions, bare of cash and bare of any positive outlook as far as his future is concerned.

I may have seen this scenario unfold too many times, with the result, that I have serious reservations whenever I hear of a farang willing to go this route.

But glegolo, as said above, if you had the privilege to experience Thai-Rural-Live on the sunny side = nothing wrong with that!

Cheers.

Alright than... I think you are right to some extend!! But I thought that the writing was a bit harsch and unfair to the thai people living up here. And all the talk about thai community as being one "body" talking about you in terms of whatever... I think you just dont understand the invironment... But let´s say I am happy for your sake if you can find a better living in Pattaya or Bangkok or whereever you like to live.

Good luck

Glegolo

Is there any amongst us who settled in Isaan, or knows of another who settled in Isaan

for reasons other than their Thai wife / GF. I appreciate once here you may have come

to love the place, people, customs etc...... there must be the odd exceptional character??

I'm 33 and moved to Thailand at 25.

At 27 I was bored with the cities and beaches so moved there for a year. It was year of experiences, to say the least.

A single, relatively well off, 27 year old Westerner living in the middle of Isaan for a year. I must say I've some very fond memory's of those local women. ;)

• Like 1

I was taken advantaged of by a few credit card companies back in blighty in 2003. In fact they just would not leave me alone and kept increasing my credit limits to a six figure sum over just 3 years so whenI realised I would never be able to repay them back in my lifetime I took a flight to Thailand.

Spent a few quid of their money in pattaya became poronoid and got a bus to Issan (to escape again)

I now live in Issan right near a famous river, speak reasonable thai/loas and built my home on some land that was lent to me indefinately, could be taken back tomorrow who cares. But I have lived here for 9 years now obey the immigration laws and live the life of Riley, know everyone in the village by name and am always included in the any events that take place. No body asks anything from me and I am sure I am considered part of their community having never had a bad word with anyone. Infact I only ever leave the village for visa runs. So am I the exception to the rule.? I don't think so.

You were taken advantage of by a credit card company? You kept spending other peoples money and it is their fault? Please explain that a little more for me as I am a littler confused. It sounds to me like you are a thief on the run in Issan.

Yes of course it is, I think that is what we can see up here many times actually (I am living here) you see these falangs never dare to look other people in their eyes. Are not polite to answer a given nod and a smile and are almost panicing when I meet them either out on the countryside or in i.e. Big C, MAKRO or Tesco Lotus.

I often thought about these poor Isaan-people that have to have these strange people living there, thiefes are thiefes whereever they are I think. And these falangs are giving the rest of us a bad renomme´I think without any doubt..

Glegolo

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.
  • Like 2

I was taken advantaged of by a few credit card companies back in blighty in 2003. In fact they just would not leave me alone and kept increasing my credit limits to a six figure sum over just 3 years so whenI realised I would never be able to repay them back in my lifetime I took a flight to Thailand.

Spent a few quid of their money in pattaya became poronoid and got a bus to Issan (to escape again)

I now live in Issan right near a famous river, speak reasonable thai/loas and built my home on some land that was lent to me indefinately, could be taken back tomorrow who cares. But I have lived here for 9 years now obey the immigration laws and live the life of Riley, know everyone in the village by name and am always included in the any events that take place. No body asks anything from me and I am sure I am considered part of their community having never had a bad word with anyone. Infact I only ever leave the village for visa runs. So am I the exception to the rule.? I don't think so.

I am sure that the British taxpayer (who is footing the bill for your credit card abuse) is very proud of what you have achieved.

• Like 2