Report On Loi Kroh Rd.

thaibeachlovers

I'd appreciate it if those that got my Pattaya Bars thread locked restrain themselves and don't post on this one.

I checked out Loi Kroh last night, and can say that those that claim there are no Pattaya style bar beers in C M need to go to Pattaya and check it out. Loi Kroh was so identical to parts of Pattaya, I thought I was there. Very similar to parts of Soi 8 or 2nd Road.

From the moat for a few hundred meters there are loads of shophouse bars, then not much before a strip of bars off to the right with Star 6 down a way on the right hand side. Definitely still open.

After that, not much around the big hotels and the night market stalls, and then nothing till right at the end just before the Iron Bridge. Just a few massage places and one or two bars.

If they closed it off and made a Walking Street out of it in the evening, it would make quite a reasonable place to hang out, but I've never really liked drinking in the monoxide fumes, so I passed.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You found the boxing ring area too, right? (I assume so as it's right next to Star 6)

And then Chiang Mai also has nightlife that Pattaya doesn't have too much of, which makes for a nice addition to the usual beer bars.

Of course, overall it doesn't come close to the incredible number of bars in Pattaya.

Overall I like both places.

You found the boxing ring area too, right? (I assume so as it's right next to Star 6)

And then Chiang Mai also has nightlife that Pattaya doesn't have too much of, which makes for a nice addition to the usual beer bars.

Of course, overall it doesn't come close to the incredible number of bars in Pattaya.

Yes, I passed by the boxing rink area. They need to do something to make it more appealing for the casual passerby though. I found the entrance rather offputting, which is why I didn't go in.

IMO C M will never have as many expat/ tourist barflies as Pattaya till it sorts out the infrastructure, traffic, and provides something other than temples to occupy the retired. Sorry, but C M is pretty boring.

Better looking women though- northern girls really have it!

• Like 2

Maybe Chiangmai just doesn't want to copy Pattaya! Heaven forbid!

They would in a second, if the customers/money were there! Many would complain of course, but many complain in Pattaya too.

People complaining about Pattaya nightlife are stupid. Without the nightlife, Pattaya would be nothing except another dirty, boring, broken Thai town with a very average beach. Certainly wouldn't attract many. Doesn't even have any temples worth looking at ( other than Temple of Truth ).

• Like 1

Yes, I passed by the boxing rink area. They need to do something to make it more appealing for the casual passerby though. I found the entrance rather offputting, which is why I didn't go in.

IMO C M will never have as many expat/ tourist barflies as Pattaya till it sorts out the infrastructure, traffic, and provides something other than temples to occupy the retired. Sorry, but C M is pretty boring.

Do try the boxing ring; it gets going a bit later but can be well worth it.

As for infrastructure and traffic: really!? Traffic in Pattaya is terrible.. In Chiang Mai there are three rings, two of which complete with tunnels at all the intersections and at least 6 lanes, the other one with enough space assigned to turn that 6-8 lane too. And sewers and city water supply are infrastructure too, that's another point of attention in Pattaya.

Go anywhere in the Pattaya area and you get traffic light after traffic light on Sukhumvit. And in town you get stuck at all the intersections too, specifically Third Road. With the rings, Chiang Mai has some space to grow away from the historical center. In Pattaya I see it getting a lot worse before it can get better.

No argument on Chiang Mai being boring compared to Pattaya. smile.png People tend to like it that way. (I wish they would phrase that a little more respectfully though; this hurling of massive abuse at places like Pattaya or Samui without any rationale gets a bit old.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

"Let's hope they never get it sorted then. Thailand has enough overdeveloped shitholes like Pattaya and Phuket already." - ch, #9

Agree that much of Phuket is overdeveloped, but there is a worthwhile bit of it that is far from Patts in character, IMAO.

• Like 1

and they are smarter, too. Took me a while to figure that out. Spent a month in Isaan last Summer, and two weeks in Potiya, Eurotrash were worse than the Russians, boy was I glad to be back in CM.
  • Like 1

pgthompson, on 19 Apr 2013 - 18:01, said:

thaibeachlovers, on 19 Apr 2013 - 16:37, said:

hellodolly, on 19 Apr 2013 - 15:52, said:

Why didn't you just go to one of the bars on the side Soi's

Or go to 7/11 and purchase a case and take it home with you.

Your reply makes no sense. I was posting a report on the road- what were you replying to?
poor hellodolly,he is a bit of a enigma,but im sure he means good,he certinally likes to get involved,in all and sundry.

Not unusual there, he seems to have a compulsion on replying to many threads without answering the question. I think he wants his number of posts increased just for the sake of it.

Did these girls tell you they're Northern Thai girls? Don't believe it! 95% of the Loi Khro lovelies are not Northern Thai, but there's nothing wrong with that. Most are from Isan (Northeastern Thai), another group are from Ayuthaya and Sukhothai, and a smaller group are hill people ("khon doi"), usually Akha or Lisu from Chiang Rai Province.

• Like 1

I do not know why so many want to change Chiang Mai, surely if you are not happy you are free to leave, it is not perfect but we as tourist, ex pats or whatever have no real chance of changing Chiang Mai as much as we want to try.

If you want Pattaya style bars then stay there, many of the girls have been awat for Songkran and all should get back to normal over the weekend so some of the girls in the sports centre were saying

Did these girls tell you they're Northern Thai girls? Don't believe it! 95% of the Loi Khro lovelies are not Northern Thai, but there's nothing wrong with that. Most are from Isan (Northeastern Thai), another group are from Ayuthaya and Sukhothai, and a smaller group are hill people ("khon doi"), usually Akha or Lisu from Chiang Rai Province.

Mathematically you would have to, um, "interview" twenty Loi Kroh women to arrive at 95%, and many times that number to have any confidence in the measure. You must have been busy!

Your reply makes no sense. I was posting a report on the road- what were you replying to?

You

First off there is very little monoxide fumes on Loi Kroh proper so I suggested a side soi

Or if the monoxide fumes are to much for you on them just go to a 7/11 and buy alcohol take it home and drink it in your monoxide fumes free residence.

I have seen the walking street in Pattaya and it is in no way close to what Loi Kroh is.

Pattaya is a big city and I would not be a bit surprised if there wasn't areas similar to Loi Kroh. But definatly not the walking street there.

Not unusual there, he seems to have a compulsion on replying to many threads without answering the question. I think he wants his number of posts increased just for the sake of it.

Sorry to have posted over your head see post 21 for a definition even you (I think) can understand.

From what I've heard from guys who were in Vietnam that time it seems like they grew up pretty quick, one of the first realizations being to not take too many things too seriously. If you can keep your sanity in that kind of giant cluster$*(#k then you're unlikely to lose it in a hurry over any of the small stuff you might face after.

• Like 1

Mathematically you would have to, um, "interview" twenty Loi Kroh women to arrive at 95%, and many times that number to have any confidence in the measure. You must have been busy!

He's probably not far off actually. I've talked with many dozens over the years in the area and a CM native was not as common as you may think.

I have walked this street a few times, and even had a few beers years ago with a guy who wanted some action. Honestly, out of seeing maybe 200 women in all the places we went to....maybe 2 were very attractive. 190 gross, and then 8 were acceptable. he left with one every night, I never did. i'm not saying i'm a saint or better than those who leave with one.....I just think to myself, "ok, I will be #92744972394072387324748". and I pay for this? nah.....

Maybe Chiangmai just doesn't want to copy Pattaya! Heaven forbid!

They would in a second, if the customers/money were there! Many would complain of course, but many complain in Pattaya too.

People complaining about Pattaya nightlife are stupid. Without the nightlife, Pattaya would be nothing except another dirty, boring, broken Thai town with a very average beach. Certainly wouldn't attract many. Doesn't even have any temples worth looking at ( other than Temple of Truth ).

I would have to agree with the OP on the topic. My one evening walking around Pattaya confirmed what the OP wrote. It's just a larger version of Loi Kroh road, but situated close to a beach. The only thing missing in Chiang Mai is the stripper bars behind closed doors. If that is your thing then go for it. I only have to look in a mirror to know what a naked female body looks like. If it's not your scene then why worry about what other people enjoy? There's far more to do in Thailand than sit on a bar stool every evening. I don't see anything wrong with a bunch of people enjoying themselves. When I wander through the few bars along Loi Kroh all I see are people laughing and enjoying themselves. I guess that is essentially what people are complaining about. THEY DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO ENJOY THEMSELVES! The happy people here are out numbered by the grinches.

pattaya is nice for a few days then you got too get out,people in chiang mai like it here better,maybe a bit quiter.so if chiang mai is not your town you should return to pats and enjoy all the fun at the sea.with all those bars and ladies waiting for you

He's probably not far off actually. I've talked with many dozens over the years in the area and a CM native was not as common as you may think.

That depends on what it is that one might think.. There are plenty Northern girls in the bars (I'm including hilltribe girls in this) and enough from Chiang Mai proper for me to not ask people bluntly during small talk where they're from. I usually lead that with 'are you from Chiang Mai', or 'you're from Chiang Mai right'. Of course more often than not, they're not, but the minority is significant enough to acknowledge the possibility. (and then of course Northern people from surrounding provinces.. Lamphun, Lampang, Chiang Rai, Phrae, etc.) Depends also what you call Northern, like culturally I would not include places like Phitsanulok, Phetchabun and Sukhothai even though they're geographically sometimes included in the North.

Also there seem to be more Chiang Mai girls in Chiang Mai bars than there are Pattaya/Chonburi girls in Pattaya bars, relatively speaking. wink.png There it's really almost unheard of to meet someone from Chonburi province. (Met a couple from Rayong, etc though)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai