Mailing Rx's Back Home

psymonk

I have all the paperwork for my home country to mail a 3 month supply of my Rx's back home, but I was wondering if its illegal to mail medicine out of thailand? What if any paperwork would I need to send my medication out of the LOS? Would a pharmacist be able to do it for me?

It's kind of academic. Every country has rules relating to the posting of medicines. In practice however the problem is when it gets to it's destination. Forget about paperwork from a LOS pharmacy, it's the lack of paperwork that makes them what they are.

As long as it is not a controlled substance in Thailand, you should be OK at this end. On the customs slip put "medication for personal use" or something like that.

If it IS a controlled substance that is a whole other matter and you may get in serious trouble.

I gather you already have determined the requirements at the receiving end?

I hope I am not digressing from the OP.

Here is my question:

I ordered Proscar (5mg of finasteride) last week. Small amount. (14 tablets at 5 mg each?) I'm visiting in the US. I did not want to schedule an appointment with my American dermatologist just to get one small box of Proscar.

I ordered it from one of the overseas distributors. I paid by credit card. It was one of the first companies I found on a google search. The seem legit.

It requires a prescription in the US, but is over the counter in Thailand and VN.

I wonder if US customs will check it at all? If they do check it, will they return it or block it's mailing to my post office box?

Here is my question:

I ordered Proscar (5mg of finasteride) last week. Small amount. (14 tablets at 5 mg each?) I'm visiting in the US. I did not want to schedule an appointment with my American dermatologist just to get one small box of Proscar.

I ordered it from one of the overseas distributors. I paid by credit card. It was one of the first companies I found on a google search. The seem legit.

It requires a prescription in the US, but is over the counter in Thailand and VN.

I wonder if US customs will check it at all? If they do check it, will they return it or block it's mailing to my post office box?

I would imagine that if it requires a prescription and there's nothing in the package to clear it, then they will simply dispose of them.

Here is my question:

I would imagine that if it requires a prescription and there's nothing in the package to clear it, then they will simply dispose of them.

Update, April 23, 2013

My Proscar arrived in the mail, untouched that I know of (maybe; maybe not).

I received 20 tablets of 5 mg finasteride. The tablets are small, so I'll have to break them up with an exacto knife to get my 1 mg per day for my hair.

They came from....India.

I will not name the company b/c I think that is against forum policy here (?)

The are the number #1 company that ships certain drugs via mail.

I received 3 sheet of tablets with 10 pill each of 5 mg finasteride. Cost to me was $52 usd after shipping.

The question is:...........

Is this 1. good quality and/or 2. real?

Anyone had any experiences or know???

Thank you.

Edited by Wrong Turn

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Pharmacy student in the US, so for the most part I'm pretty up to date on all the laws. You're allowed to bring in up to a 3 month supply of medicine from out of country into the US for personal use as long as its not CII or higher/ narcotics.

Here is my question:

Update, April 23, 2013

My Proscar arrived in the mail, untouched that I know of (maybe; maybe not).

I received 20 tablets of 5 mg finasteride. The tablets are small, so I'll have to break them up with an exacto knife to get my 1 mg per day for my hair.

They came from....India.

I will not name the company b/c I think that is against forum policy here (?)

The are the number #1 company that ships certain drugs via mail.

I received 3 sheet of tablets with 10 pill each of 5 mg finasteride. Cost to me was $52 usd after shipping.

The question is:...........

Is this 1. good quality and/or 2. real?

Anyone had any experiences or know???

Thank you.

Generally speaking, generics from India are of good quality.

It helps to know the manufacturer, some Indian companies do have a good reputation and I would not hesitate to buy their products.

The middleman, ie the company who actually sold you the stuff, may be not so reliable.

They are mostly from North America or Western Europe, many of them cannot be trusted.

I'm a Pharmacy student in the US, so for the most part I'm pretty up to date on all the laws. You're allowed to bring in up to a 3 month supply of medicine from out of country into the US for personal use as long as its not CII or higher/ narcotics.

That is very useful info, thank you. Do you have an official source you can cite for it?

That is very useful info, thank you. Do you have an official source you can cite for it?

For Europe (Schengen) it is 30d supply. Important:

- the ingredients of the drug (not the drug itself) must be allowed substances in Schengen

- you are not allowed to carry for a third person

- ingredients can even be classified, meaning that in Schengen you would need a doctor's prescription for it

Problem above: OP is talking about mailing it back home. In Schengen, customs would then hold the drugs back and would require the person for who the drugs were sent to show up in person and customs would then request to see a doctor's prescription, if the ingredients are classified in Schengen

Source: Homepage of Swissmedic in Switzerland (link is to English version)