Pantip Plaza Cheats Again

allalong

Once again this Disreputable so called "IT Centre" never fails to live up to it lying and cheating. Bought a battery pack to charge my Android phone, They assured me this pack would work with my device after it had been fully charged, Well guess what ? It didnt. After I returned an amazing lack of interest. When is Thai Customer service going to EVER be improved? Never I think. It's all about screwing the customer. It's amazing that place is allowed to operate with no Customer service desk. The whole place might as well all be on the Street for all the protection customers have. New Policy Now, Buy everything online from outside the LoS (Land of Scams)

• Like 1

Why would "Pantip Plaza" have a customer service desk to handle returning products? All the shops in there are independent traders, all they do it rent shop space from Pantip Plaza.

I can't imagine that in your home country if you bought products at a shop in a mall, you'd expect the mall itself to handle your returns? You deal with the shop where you bought the stuff, not the mall itself.

Buying from the Street= Buying from Pantip

Whenever I buy anything here I always ask if I can return it if I have a problem. Occasionally I have but I usually do it quickly so they remember me. Learned the hard lesson years ago and noe only buy mobile phones and accessories from genuine dealers.

• Like 1

Why would "Pantip Plaza" have a customer service desk to handle returning products? All the shops in there are independent traders, all they do it rent shop space from Pantip Plaza.

I can't imagine that in your home country if you bought products at a shop in a mall, you'd expect the mall itself to handle your returns? You deal with the shop where you bought the stuff, not the mall itself.

Buying from the Street= Buying from Pantip

It's just pretty silly that you got ripped of by a shop inside a mall which contains 100s of shops. Therefore you think every single shop inside the mall, plus the mall itself ripped you off? It doesn't even sense.

You still refer to it as "Buying from Pantip"..."Pantip" doesn't actually sell anything, so i'm not sure how you bought stuff from them? You bought from a shop (ie Banana IT, Data IT, Computers XYZ etc..)

I have the feeling that the OP bought from one of those booths on the floor, and if so yes it doesn't make any difference with buying on the footpaths outside.

If I'm not 100% sure that the item I buy will function, I avoid buying fom a booth.

It wasn't a booth it was 2nd floor major outlet. Returned there again and pressed my point , I was told that only items over 2000baht have a warranty ? Uhhh Can you believe that(well I can I guess ) the item was about 1000 baht, That Thai fake smile when challenging their dubious practices is something to behold.

I have read articles in Bang Post and Nation in the past how there are some Thais who are angry about their "consumer rights" not being powerful enough and worse , no body to get swift action even when they purchase a bad product .I see the main problem is too many of the "Thai inhabitants" are apathetic and accept lousy protection , hence they can be abused by those who sell the product., and as far as Falangs are considered, well they can "swing in the wind".

I find it better, more selection and also several larger electrical outlets at Fortune Tower (adjacent to MRT Phra Ram 9) but takes a little longer to nosey around and decide which one to try for English. Most small traders are pretty helpful... and sure there are the software/DVD ripoffs on the top floor to satisfy the flesh lust described earlier!

NOT ALL DEALERS IN PANTHIP PLAZA are crooks!!! Six month ago I bought a computer printer refill kit from G Inkshop on the ground floor of Panthip Plaza and service has been great. I've returned twice with it not properly printing and they showed me how to clean it up and this last time gave me printed instructions taped to the outside of the printer -- different from what's in the Canon booklet or on line -- Canon doesn't tell you that "if it stops printing due to being out of ink simply depress the stop button for few seconds and it resets."

And in the past I've bought a few things from the camera shop (forget the name) also on the ground floor without a problem. And have bought several items from Office Depot without difficulty. Of course, I don't know the vendor the op questions.

It wasn't a booth it was 2nd floor major outlet. Returned there again and pressed my point , I was told that only items over 2000baht have a warranty ? Uhhh Can you believe that(well I can I guess ) the item was about 1000 baht, That Thai fake smile when challenging their dubious practices is something to behold.

What was the name of this major shop? My experience on buying any sort of electronics/computer part etc. in Thailand is they always want to place a warranty sticker on it somewhere, even on a 199 flash drive which wouldn't be worth returning if it didn't work anyway...

• Like 2

I can understand the OP's frustration but can say that I have 2 hi-spec PCs bought in parts and built in Pantip (intentionally without software). Both of these machines are brilliant, carefully constructed and came with a 1 year back to shop warranty for the build for free. I have recommended both outlets to friends who have been delighted with the service and attitude too.

There are so many things I would not buy in Pantip and education is the answer to know what these are. Basically put, do you homework and you should be fine.

The only thing worth buying at pantip are those kebabs right outside the front door.

Pantip is an unkept fire trap, with management renting out the hallways and entry to vendors. Few will escape when the place goes up in flames.

Stay out of there or you may be kebabed someday...

Your problem is not confined to Panthip Mall or any other location. This is a Thailand issue. Thais will say anything to make a sale and once they have your money, it yours. They won't even acknowledge that you exist after they have your money. Forget about returns or even a working product. If you haven't taken the time to ensure the product's workability prior to purchase then som nam na. There are exceptions to this but they are extremely rare.

I went to an Apple in Phantip years ago when my laptop screen stopped working. I fully expected to pay for a new one. The guy in the shop checked the serial number and said it was eligible for free repair, sent it to Apple and in 5 days I got it back.

Perfect opportunity for a rip off, and he didn't.

Not everyone is out to get you.

The only thing worth buying at pantip are those kebabs right outside the front door.

Pantip is an unkept fire trap, with management renting out the hallways and entry to vendors. Few will escape when the place goes up in flames.

Stay out of there or you may be kebabed someday...

I agree . Thats another issue. Pathetic fire and safety enforcement of regs .it wont be metaphorically burnt when it happens

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For the OP - if your battery pack didn't work I assume you'll be looking for a new one.

FYI - modern rechargeable batteries almost always ship with some charge in them, usually about 60%. You should charge it fully at the earliest opportunity - but there's no harm in using it for a few minutes to test it.

It sounds like you were sold a duff battery pack - whether deliberately or not only the store owner knows but telling you it has to be fully charged before it will work is simply bs. Like I said, it should be fully charged before you start using it regularly/normally - but there should be enough charge in it right out of the box to at least test it works.

I bought two different batteries for my two different laptops from a Pantip shop approx. 4 months ago. Each battery came with a 6 month warranty. The next day I decided I didn't want one of the batteries...nothing wrong with the battery I just decided I didn't want it....took it back to the shop and was given a refund with no hassle. But I will admit getting a refund from many Thai shops/stores can be super hard.

Edited by Pib

Your problem is not confined to Panthip Mall or any other location. This is a Thailand issue. Thais will say anything to make a sale and once they have your money, it yours. They won't even acknowledge that you exist after they have your money. Forget about returns or even a working product. If you haven't taken the time to ensure the product's workability prior to purchase then som nam na. There are exceptions to this but they are extremely rare.

And a likely contributing factor to why no one wants to take credit cards. They don't want to deal with the protections afforded by the major card companies.

• Like 1

And a likely contributing factor to why no one wants to take credit cards. They don't want to deal with the protections afforded by the major card companies.

I doubt that. The reluctance to accept credit cards is more likely due to the 4% they get scalped by the banks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I doubt that. The reluctance to accept credit cards is more likely due to the 4% they get scalped by the banks.

But more because the protections. Small vendors here that take cc's just tack on the additional percentage to cover their cheapness. But there is nothing they can tack on to cover deceptive business practice.

But more because the protections. Small vendors here that take cc's just tack on the additional percentage to cover their cheapness. But there is nothing they can tack on to cover deceptive business practice.

Cheapness? If they're operating on a 30% markup, 4% of their selling price is 17% of their gross profit - which depending on their overheads, could easily be 30% of their net profit.

Not wanting to take home 30% less, by accepting plastic, is being cheap?

the 3% charge more likely. most will take credit cards, if you pay the merchants fees.

the ops predicament could easily have been avoided with a bit of forethought